Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1

Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1

(Fullmetal Alchemist: Omnibus #1)

Breaking the laws of nature is a serious crime!

R to L (Japanese Style), for audience T.

Contains Volumes 1, 2 and 3 of Fullmetal Alchemist!

In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical ""auto-mail"" limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking
Paperback, 3-in-1 Edition, 576 pages
Published January 2014 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2002)

Start your review of Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, owned
LOVE!
daisy
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favourites
Okay, first off: this edition ended on a cliffhanger and I don't have the next 3-in-1 volume on me, so!! I need to know what happens ASAP, I hope that next volume arrives quickly.

Adored this, though! Love the characters, love the art style, love the story - love everything about it, to be quite honest. Don't know why I waited this long to get into the FMA series, haha, but better late than never!
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Oct 01, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: owned-physical
I’ve been in such an anime/manga mood here lately & this is one of the heavy hitting classics I’ve always wanted to read. Very excited to dive into this story!
Sara
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How could I give this masterpiece anything other than 5 stars? This is the manga of a generation, the tale of the Elric brothers is one that must be told time and time again. This is the best search for the philosopher's stone of the modern era.

It's impressive the art style of Hiromu Arakawa. She can balance very well the comical and dramatic moments of the narrative and blend them very well, they never seem to clash at all. The characters are fantastic, very well rounded and developed even the
Roxanne
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has been recommended to me so many times that i had to read it. At first i was like yeah it's a pretty cute book the facial expressions in this are spot on but i wasn't getting the hype. Then i got to the Alexander and Nina story and i was like oh damn we ain't playing around anymore, shit got serious way fast.
It's an amazing read, if you stick with it, especially reading these 3-1 volumes lets you appreciate them more and i definitely recommend them too, they're funny and really grim at
Filipa
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Clearly one of those WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS SOONER cases !!!
I love everything about this ! The characters, the drawings, the story, the humor, the heartbreak, the alchemy, the villains, E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G !
Liz
Mar 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: manga
I've read this one in my early teens and remember...very little from it, so I might as well re-read it!
A
I loved this first volume :) while I was reading it, I ordered the rest of the series... :) that's how fast I fell in love with it... it's funny, full of action and adventures and surprisingly a lot of serious subjects as well... I can't wait to know what's gonna happen next and how the whole story will end :) this is a great introduction into the whole world, its rules and the main characters, as well as some very important secondary ones... the whole series tells a story of two brothers, who ...more
Cath
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars.
This was goooooooood.
I've heard really good things about the anime and I saw this at my library and snatched it up!
I really liked this, the characters are really loveable, I can't wait to continue the series
Billy Watson
I’m not going to rate this right now because I haven’t read enough manga to properly rate.

But, I’m not sure I’ve had this much fun reading a story in a while. I can’t wait to pick up the rest of the series. The first three volumes seem like a great kickoff to the series.

Having never read a manga before, I’m glad I picked this up first. It was just really great.
Mavis Ros
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: frc-arc
Hmmm. It would have been more epic if I had also watched the anime version of this.

Maybe that will get me to continue further.
Melinda
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this so much!
This manga is awesome, I love the characters, the story, everything!
Can’t wait to read the second volume!
Adriana
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, favorites
4.5/5 Stars

After years of people telling me that FMA is their favorite anime/manga series of all time, I finally understand that sentiment on a spiritual level.

I was so surprised by the start of this series. Not only is the artwork amazing and not only does this fantasy series showcase plenty of awe-inspiring, badass moments, but it's absolutely hilarious. I'm talkin' laugh-out-loud, emit inhuman noises, grab your aching rib-cage kind of hilarious. The writing and the dialogue can switch on a
Ladiibbug
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1

With the introduction at the end of book 1 of Roy Mustang, Flame Alchemist, my interest picked up greatly. I loved the "Extra" page where a laughing Roy says "in Vol. 2 we will be switching protagonists and the series will be retitled "Flame Alchemist". An angry face figure in the bottom corner says "that's not true".

In book 1 I disliked Edward from the very beginning. His constant anger and aggression was a complete turn off. I kept reading, because trusted Good Reads
Olivia
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've seen Fullmetal Alchemist but not Brotherhood so I'm glad that I'm now getting into the original source story and can sum it up with one word--YAY!

The art is fantastic, the story is engaging and charming. To non-comic readers: don't let the fact that manga or graphic novels have pictures fool you, this thing has got some dark and disturbing moments that will leave you feeling wrecked. It can switch gears from being cute and whimsical to horrifyingly monstrous and still work in the same
מונטסרת
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say except GAH. This manga is so well-done! Not only is the plot great and the characters perfect (please Ed, let me marry you), but the graphics are flawless too and I'll jump right into volumes 4, 5 and 6 because I need to know what happens next!!! so yeah brb
Taylor Ramirez
Debbie
Volume 1 - Overall good character development and pacing. I liked how it jumped right into the plot and explained the backstory as it went rather than front loading everything at the start. The plot was fast-paced and engaging, while still allowing for insight into the characters’ motivations and personalities.

The snippets of adventures in the life of the Elric brothers were enjoyable and fun to follow along; however, I do wish there was a bit more of a connecting thread between the four
*Layali*
I really loved this. The characters are great, and I love the concept of alchemy in this volume bind up. There was never a dull moment, and it was just thoroughly enjoyable the entire time.

I think this series is a great one for beginners to manga. Can’t wait to start the next volume, since this one ended on a huge cliffhanger!
Andrew
Okay, so gee golly, I read the first couple of volumes that I had picked up at my local library, and decided that I really liked this series. So what’d I do then? Yep, I went and bought this 3-in-1 volume (at quite a bargain I might add) and then went ahead and bought the next couple of 3-in-1 volumes because I don’t want to imagine a world without this fantastic series. Not ready for that.
Jenna
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. I enjoyed all the characters that were introduced and can't wait to read the next volume.
Wilma
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.6 - Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed this!
Maybe its because i’m new to manga but a lot of the dialogue seemed very artificial and not really sure if i enjoy the “kawaii” part of it haha
Yvensong
I had seen Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but the place I was watching it didn't have the ending. Argh! I discovered my library had the series, (well books 4 through 20-something). Happy, happy, joy, joy! They didn't have Books 1-3. Well, I figured I'd try for an ILL (Interlibrary Loan) and maybe they'd get to me before I had to return the rest of the series. Instead, a friend came through and found an omnibus with volumes 1-3! Yay! Now this has nothing to do with my review of the 3 volumes, ...more
Lars
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ever since watching the animated film Akira in the nineties, I've been fascinated by manga. Unfortunately I never got around to actually reading a manga. Recently I have been reading a lot of comics and graphic novels and as I was searching for new and interesting titles, here and on booktube, I came across a lot of manga recommendations. I decided that I was clearly missing out on someting good, so I set out to buy some manga. But where to start?

After doing some research I came across Fullmetal
Nerdish Mum
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I loved the anime (FMA: Brotherhood) and I'm loving the manga just the same. I' in love with both Ed and Al and all the characters are just so much fun (Armstrong anyone!), I will say that Mustang comes across a lot more fun and sarcastic in the manga than he does in the anime though. Urgh the chimera story broke me even more in book form than it did in anime form. SO many tears. If you haven't already go out and read or watch this immediately.
Gemma Fasheun
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm so glad that I finish it. Why only 1 star?!
Well because I didn't understand any character, most of the things that were going on I had to guess and normally a good book whether it's manga or not must explain well what is going on and who really are the characters. So even my son asked me if I want to read the next volume to see if I have the same opinion I said kindly no way. I have too many interesting books to read.
Zezee
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As posted on Zezee with Books.

As I’ve mentioned before, venturing into comics led me to mangas. I usually stay away from them because they seem like a lot (those shelves filled with numerous issues for a single series stomp me), but I became curious and decided to give them a try. When considering which manga to start with, I thought it best to begin with something familiar so I grabbed the first bind-up copy of Fullmetal Alchemist and kept returning for more to satiate my growing interest.

Quick
Quirks
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would advise that this "review" not be taken too seriously. This is the first time I've read a manga—or anything comic book-like, for that matter—and don't reallyknowwhat makes a good manga, so this post could possibly be nothing more than meaningless rambles. Consider yourself warned.

This series follows the Elric brothers—Edward and Alphonse. When we first see them, it's as a teenage boy sitting beside a suit of armor. Turns out the teenage boy is Edward, a very powerful alchemist (science
Bradley
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Initially I was under the assumption that this was the first volume. I forgot the Vizbig editions like this are 3-in-1. Still, even in three volumes there’s a lot of ground covered on all frontiers of what can only be good ole` storytelling. Like an alchemist, Hiromu Arakawa found the right mixture of characters, world-building, magic, emotions, humor and plot to whip out the wicked composition beloved by many, Fullmetal Alchemist.

She turned pages of bound paper into gold. After reading the
2Eleven
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, okay. Let's write a review.

This book, while humorous, also covered some really deep themes, like, 'What does it mean to be human', and 'How much is a human soul worth', and, 'How can someone be resurrected'?

Edward and Alphonse are instantly likeable heroes, two brothers bonded by a brotherly love so great that they are willing to give up their lives for each other.

We don't see much of the villains, Lust, Envy, and Gluttony in this one, but I'm sure that they'll be interesting.

*cough* Very
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #1)
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Naruto: Omnibus, #1)
  • One Piece: East Blue 1-2-3, Vol. 1 (One Piece: Omnibus, #1)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 1 [Boku No Hero Academia 1] (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • ハイキュー!! 1 日向と影山 [Haikyū!! 1 Hinata to Kageyama]
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: The Land of Sand (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Inuyasha, Volume 01 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 3
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 2 [Boku No Hero Academia 2] (My Hero Academia, #2)
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 5 [Boku No Hero Academia 5] (My Hero Academia, #5)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)
  • Beelzebub 01
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 3 [Boku No Hero Academia 3] (My Hero Academia, #3)
  • Death Note: L, Change the WorLd

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and

Fullmetal Alchemist: Omnibus (9 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 3
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 6
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 9
“Water: 35 Liters. Carbon: 20 Kg. Ammonia: 4 Liters. Lime: 1.5 Kg. Phosphorus: 800 g. Salt: 250 g. Saltpeter: 100g. Sulfur: 80g. Fluorine: 7.5 g. Iron: 5 g. Silicon: 3 g. And 15 other elements in small quantities... That's the total chemical makeup of the average adult body... For that matter, the elements found in a human being... is all junk that you can buy in any market with a child's allowance. Humans are pretty cheaply made. - Edward Elric” 32 likes
“I guess god really does have it in for us sinners.” 0 likes