Start by marking “Amy Butler's Midwest Modern: A Fresh Design Spirit for the Modern Lifestyle” as Want to Read:
Amy Butler's Midwest Modern: A Fresh Design Spirit for the Modern Lifestyle

Amy Butler's Midwest Modern: A Fresh Design Spirit for the Modern Lifestyle

abrams publishing amy butlers midwest modern brings the many aspects of her vision into focus from re imagining the home as a retreat for relaxation to picturing the body as a canvas for creating personal style. this vibrantly illustrated book underscores designs practical side with information on budgeting money and time a shopping resources list and how to projects in ev ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Amy Butler's Midwest Modern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amy Butler's Midwest Modern

Holly Booms Walsh
May 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
While I love Amy Butler's fabric designs and patterns, I think a coffee table book full of pictures of herself, home, cats, and design theory/musings was rather grandiose and would have been better suited for a magazine article. Her house is just too-too artsy and full of awesome thrift finds, perfectly adorable, but it didn't inspire me much. I'd recommend her actual sewing pattern book In Stitches over this if you are at all inclined to want to emulate the look. I was happy to give it a quick ...more
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
The "Midwest" part of the title really grabbed me - being that I'm from the Midwest and had never heard of "Midwest Modern". I was surprised how much I loved this book. It was a practical guide on finding your inner artist and the things Amy draws from for her own inspiration to design her fabrics and patterns (which are very pricey!).
The only thing that I didn't like was that she doesn't have any kids (only cats) and so I think some of her ideas might not apply very well to a house of children
Cynthia
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good grief I have a weekness for design books filled with glossy photos.

I love how this book's chapters are sectioned off--clothing, work spaces, private spaces, gardens, etc.

After reading this book and pouring over the pages I was inspired to make more pillows for my famly room--particularly ones that don't match. I'm done with my matchy-matchy days. After seeing Amy's living room with completely unmatched pillows and accesories I was inspired to do the same.

And now I feel inspired to buy vint
Rebecca

From the introduction:

"I see the distinct connection between all the different aspects of a person's life as contributing to their overall artistic voice. That's why this book covers fashion, home, garden, and even a bit of travel. Textures, colors, fragrances, sounds, and even tastes are explored as well."

"It's not
Westerville
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, adults
"I'm not a sewer, but I just want to hug this book, for the lovely photographs (the color, the lighting, the midwestern feel), and Amy Butler's life philosophy and design sensibility." - Becky, Teen Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Relyn
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amateur interior decorators
Recommended to Relyn by: I've seen it all around the blog world
Shelves: shelter-books
I know Amy Butler is the final word in style for many people. She designs incredible fabric and may be single-handedly responsible for changing quilting from country to cool. Of course I had to read her book. And, if all that wasn't reason enough, just look at that hat on the cover.

I found this book to be interesting and visually compelling. Her style is a little too modern for me, but I found so much inspiration here.
Nancy
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
In her epilogue, Amy says that this book isn't meant to leave us in awe of her life and work -- but to inspire us. Well for me, she did both. I'm awed by the palette presented here, the lively designs, how she communicates her graciousness, and that the book has an integrated deliciousness. Hey, I just thought of this: Amy's like Martha's nicer little sister. I need the patchwork duster, skull cap, and that purple poppy.
Lorraine
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amy Butler lets us peek into her world of creativity, as an artist and fabric designer. Her work is largely inspired by nature.

As a quilter, I am most fascinated with the process of fabric creation.

This book is packed with photos, bright colorful fabrics, along with decor and clothing ideas.

A breath of fresh air!
Corinne
Nov 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: artsy craftsy types
I agree with some of the other reviewers - this book is full of pretty pictures. I loved looking through it but there aren't any real patterns or directions for making anything. I am, however, looking at slipcovers in a whole new light. This is more of a coffee table book than a "how-to" book - unfortunately, the photographs leave you wanting to know 'how-to' make just about everything in it.
Erica
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it
It was pretty but it still felt like an artist just bragging about how beautiful and open and creative their lives are. most of the things in the book were not applicable to my own life, and just made me frustrated. it might provide a few cute and small decorating ideas for us average...uncool people.
Tina
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, own-it
I look to this book for inspiration on a regular basis. I love Butler's patterns and designs. In the store, I tend to gravitate towards her fabric more than any other designer. Does that make me a Amy Butler snob?

This book is filled with beautiful pictures of her fabrics incorporated within her home as well as wonderful thrift store finds.

Would I recommend? Yes.
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was delightfully surprised by the similarities between Amy Butler's style and my own when I picked up this book. Now I can justify my rock, pine cone, birds nest, shell, and tree nut collections, and my slightly '60s flower prints to my fiance. Flea market finds can be included tastefully and look modern if done the right way--and Butler shows you how to do it. Visual candy fun!
Anne
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Amy Butler; people who like pretty things
I loved this book. I've been a fan of Amy Butler for a while. Her designs are so pretty. The book is beautiful. I found it very inspiring; I have ideas for so many more sewing projects now.

And don't forget that "a little black cat goes with everything."
Kimberly
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Eye candy at its best. This book is essentially a grown-up picture book - it's all about the aspirational glossy photos. It was a perfect little bit of escapism into Ms. Butler's colorful, stylish and well edited world.
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-or-design, home
Gorgeous! I looooove Amy Butler's fabric designs and this shows off a bunch of them in home decorating, sewing projects, and with what inspired them, like specific gardens and flowers. No patterns in the book, though.
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I love her fabric patterns and I thought this was a fun peek into her style. It was just a fun thing to flip through, as it basically reads like a magazine (loads of pictures with a couple of little blurps about this or that).
Amy
Oct 15, 2007 added it
A look into Amy Butler's studio. She and her husband have created a fabulous home and studio in the country. Some of her tastes are a bit too eclectic for me, but the book is full of inspiring photos and ideas.
Jamila
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous and inspiring. The only drawback is that too few details and instruction steps were provided for some of the projects. Yet, this Butler book is less of a how-to and more of an art and design book.
Handmade Detroit
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fabric fans, Amy Butler fans
This isn't really a crafty book per se, but it is an inspiring look into Amy Butler's work and home.

Particularly loved the way Amy and her husband have decorated their studios. A gurney for a desk? Awesomely unexpected in such an otherwise sweetly decorated place.
Shannon
May 23, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but would have enjoyed more project ideas and less chatter about the author's life.
Mollie
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great to get out of your own head and into Amy's studio for some color therapy. Especially if you "work" from home and your office is your playroom, study, breakfast room and den.
Heather
Dec 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Amy Butler has the most amazing fabrics and designs, she makes me wish I could sew!
Katy
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Not really much to read but lots of pretty pictures to admire. I love Amy Butler's fabric and she makes such beautiful things for it shown off in the book.
Kalie
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and so inspiring!
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Lots of pretty pictures. Just what you'd expect from Amy!
Jessica Fowle
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
I adore Amy's fabrics, and this book was full of gorgeous inspirational photography. I enjoyed reading about her creative process as well.
Rachel
Jul 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
Great pictures but way to ego-centric. The whole books was nothing but "look how great my house looks".
Susan
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very inspiring.
Ali Edwards
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
love her style. love the photos. nice big display book.
Jen
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! So many times I have read it and wandered it's pages. The author feels like a design soulmate.

• Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • "A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Stitched in Time: Memory-Keeping Projects to Sew and Share from the Creator of Posie Gets Cozy
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Apartment Therapy Presents Real Homes, Real People, Hundreds of Real Design Solutions
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • The Gentle Art Of Domesticity
  • Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps
  • A Rainbow of Stitches: Embroidery and Cross-Stitch Basics Plus More Than 1,000 Motifs and 80 Project Ideas
  • The New Crewel: Exquisite Designs in Contemporary Embroidery
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects