Start by marking “Selected Stories” as Want to Read:
Selected Stories

Selected Stories

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  159 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This collection brings together twenty-one of Lardner's best pieces, including the six Jack Keefe stories that comprise "You Know Me, Al," as well as such familiar favorites as "Alibi Ike," "Some Like Them Cold," and "Guillible's Travels."
Published May 1st 1997 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Selected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Stories

Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A lot of people probably first encounter Lardner when they're assigned to read "Haircut" or "Golden Honeymoon" in high school or a little earlier. Nothing wrong with that, of course, since he's entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny. But what you don't really grasp in high school is how subtle Lardner is -- if there was ever a writer who wrote more brilliant unreliable narrator stories, I've yet to find him. (And yeah, I'm counting Nabokov.) I'm damned if I know how Lardner does it -- I couldn't ...more
Jon M
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am a huge Ring Lardner fanboy. My father recommended his works to me when I was a young lad playing baseball myself, and did I listen? No I did not, you know me Al.

As an adult, I had the good fortune to stumble across a copy of this book in a used book shop, and had to go back and thank my father for recommending them to me. This has become one of my favorite books. The stories are all slice-of-life dramas featuring the people of Midwest America in the days surrounding World War I
Georgia
I would give this FIVE if I was judging it solely on it the narrative style, but I found a few of the stories a little dry and therefore settling for THREE. His characterisation is fantastic, but it's more the characters that are memorable - not their stories. I loved Jack Keefe, and especially loved "Some Like Them Cold."
Grant
Jun 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ring Lardner writes not only funny, but also human, moving and with a perfect ear. For anyone to think of him as just a writer of humorous sports stories is to do both Mr. Lardner and themselves a diservice.
Robert Muir
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good example of using bad spelling and grammar purposely to create a good effect and humour. Very similar to Gentlemen Prefer Blondes in that way and written in the same era.
Kelly
This collection of short stories made for excellent reading for my summer back in the States. Lardner has quite an ear for spoken language, and even if some of the humor gets a bit hammy, there are hilarious and saucy moments in these stories. The first time I tried to get through it, I got held up by the stories about golf and baseball -- this time, I really enjoyed them.
Anittah
I don't remember the details and it's on a bookshelf at my parents', but I recall that when I read it (1997 I think, and for a Writing Comedy class during undergrad) I thought, "Snap. People were darkly funny back in the olden days, too."
Eric Malone
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best writer most people have never heard of. This guy is for real. Virginia Woolf and J.D. Salinger both admired his writing immensely. So you probably will too.
Alan Partlow
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of America's funniest writers. Still feels fresh after ninety years.
Josh
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great stuff. Lardner's wit will keep you laughing as you make your way through his stories, told with direct and simple prose. This book is a really good time.
Kelly
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Ring Lardner is the master of short stories. Of course they are humorous as well which makes it that much better.

I just chose to highlight one of his books, but they are all good.
S
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the Vernacular

(You know me Al)
Kaj Tanaka
RL is to baseball what Hemingway was to bullfighting. "You Know Me Al" knocked me over.
Chesshistorian
Feb 24, 2009
Velma
May 23, 2015 marked it as tbr-recommended  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Velma by: Maureen Corrigan
Ring Lardner = contemporary of Scott Fitgerald, referenced repeatedly in So We Read On.
Mark
Oct 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Distant Episode: The Selected Stories
  • Apocalypse
  • Other Electricities
  • Collected Stories
  • Novels and Other Writings : The Dream Life of Balso Snell / Miss Lonelyhearts / A Cool Million / The Day of the Locust / Letters
  • My Sister's Hand in Mine: The Collected Works of Jane Bowles
  • Divorcer
  • The Collected Jack London
  • Hiroshima in America
  • Excitability
Ringgold Wilmer Lardner was an American sports columnist and short story writer best known for his satirical takes on the sports world, marriage, and the theatre.

Father of author Ring Lardner Jr.
More about Ring Lardner...