Start by marking “First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)” as Want to Read:
First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)

First Degree

(Andy Carpenter #2)

Nominated for the Edgar and Shamus awards, Rosenfelt's debut novel, "Open and Shut," introduced irreverent lawyer Andy Carpenter. Now, Andy must save the love of his life, lead P.I. Laurie Collins, when she's framed for the murder of a cop.
Published June 1st 2004 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about First Degree, please sign up.
Suzanne Better to read them in order. First book is Open and Shut.
It is great. …more
Better to read them in order. First book is Open and Shut.
It is great. (less)

Start your review of First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
Jaline
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xx2017-completed
This is the second book in the legal thriller series by David Rosenfelt, and it’s a good one! Andy Carpenter and his investigator Laurie Collins, who is also the love of his life, have a challenge ahead – they need to find out why his client is accused of a grisly murder when Andy knows he didn’t do it. Then, things become worse when Laurie is indicted for the same murder.

Edna, Andy’s secretary, is galvanized. Normally her work involves doing a lot of crossword puzzles – but this is Laurie. Kevi
Barbara
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it

In this 2nd book in the 'Andy Carpenter' series, the criminal defense lawyer has his girlfriend as a client. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Ever since defense attorney Andy Carpenter inherited 22 million dollars from his father, he's been very picky about the cases he takes.

So when Geoffrey Stynes waltzes into Carpenter's Paterson, New Jersey office and says he's about to be arrested for killing a cop named Alex Dorsey, Carpenter refuses to represent him.....even though Andy knows Do
Kevin
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kevin by: Brenda
Andy Carpenter's law office has a visit from a prospective client who admits through many details that he killed a police officer that is missing. Andy passes on the case and can't report on what was said because of client confidentiality. He then offers his services to the man accused.

More Sue Grafton than John Grisham, this courtroom shines. A high level of fantastically sarcastic one-liners make this series worth reading!
Jim
Another good mystery & tense court room drama as Andy protects the innocent. Gardner did a great job of reading it again, too. For the most part, the mystery & evidence was pretty well done, although there was some predictability & I felt like kicking him for missing the obvious a couple of times. One thing in particular bothered me - the gas can. (view spoiler) ...more
Marty Fried
Another fun read in the series I recently started. A good mixture of humor, good plot, with a fairly happy ending, just like real life (I wish).

Andy Carpenter is a likable wise guy that most people like, except maybe the DA. I love the humor - it's fairly constant, but not distracting like some. If all lawyers were like him, we'd be missing out on a lot of lawyer jokes.

This does refer back to the last (first) book in the series, but I don't think it's necessary to read it before this one, just m
Nancy
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
As Jane Austen said: "If a book is well written, I always find it too short."
The Andy Carpenter Mysteries are addictive.
David Rosenfelt combines twists and turns in the plot
with humorous quirks of secretary Edna and legal assistant Kevin!
Tara, Carpenter's golden retriever,
always sits with Andy while he awaits the jury's verdict.
Love this series!
Mary Ronan Drew
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Rosenfelt has again written a book that combines Paterson, New Jersey, a golden retriever, and a murder mystery and again that is a fine combination. The first book in the series, featuring defense attorney Andy Carpenter was Open and Shut. If you have not read that book, don't read any further in this review as it will reveal some things from that first story.

Ok, in the first book Andy successfully defended a man on death row in a new trial and he is now representing him in a civil suit a
Ellen
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First Degree by David Rosenfelt.

Andy Carpenter, Paterson, New Jersey, attorney is just beginning to accept his notoriety from winning his last case when the decapitated remains of a member of the Paterson Police Dept is discovered. The body is burnt beyond recognition so DNA is required for an accurate identification. The victim is Alex Dorsey.
Geoffrey Stynes pays Andy a visit at his office. Stynes requests Andy as his attorney and they sign the standard retainer agreement which establishes cli
Amanda
A great read for the second book, in the Andy Carpenter series. Such an intense mystery this story had. If I hadn't read a story, that took place well after this story. I would have been more on the edge of my seat, with Laurie being on trial, for a crime she was accused of doing. The mystery was very well done and had me trying to figure out, how Andy was going to get Laurie off from this horrible murder. This is the book, were we get to see, the beginnings of the Tara Foundation, which is a ar ...more
mindful.librarian ☀️
Loved it just as much as book 1 in the series! Can’t wait to continue in the Andy Carpenter world ❤️
Maureen DeLuca
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd in the Andy Carpenter series and I absolutely love it. With the 22 million left to Andy by his father Andy can choose which cases he wants to take. He is witty as hell and one of his 'loves' is his dog, Tara- and his other love is P.I. Laurie Collins. And now Andy must save Laurie, when she's framed for the murder of a cop.

To really appreciate this book- I really think you should start with the first in this series "open and shut" which was another great read.

These are quick read
Amanda McGill
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
So, so happy that there are (as of today) 17 books in the Andy Carpenter series. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

Andy Carpenter has lawyer's block. He doesn't need the money so he is very selective when it comes to which cases he chooses to take on. After his last big case (Book #1 - Open and Shut) he hasn't found the right case to take on. Enter the mystery man who has just confessed to killing a police officer. This leads Andy on taking on multiple suspects accused of the murder, i
Alona
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Wonderful!
A hell of a lot better then the first book in the series, which wasn’t half bad!
I have a feeling It’s one of these series that gets better and better with each book.

If you love mystery/court drama, this one is for you!
Angela Wessel
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoy reading the mystery and a bit of humor about lawyer Andy Carpenter.
David
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
Once upon a time I read a mystery that I solved halfway through the book simply because of a minor aside that caused me to think of the cover of the book. The cover of the book gave that mystery away-- I never finished it.. but looked to the back and found I was 100% correct. I was extremely annoyed.

The cover of this book was really cool-- and had the opposite effect of the above anecdote. The cover of the book had absolutely NOTHING to do with the mystery inside. While that is not exceptionally
Sharone Powell
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this book is astounding: someone walks into Andy's office, confesses a brutal crime, and asks for representation. Clearly, Andy refuses to do it, and the events that follow are all part of the bad guys' plans.

Spoiler alert!

Another man is accused of this same crime, and when Andy volunteers to represent him and he takes the actions he believes would help the accused-his beloved Laurie gets accused of this same crime instead, and with very damaging evidence!

This second installmen
Judy
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book in this series so much that I wanted to listen to the second one. Again I warmed to protagonist, Andy Carpenter and the way he uses wit and humor in the courtroom. It not often that a mystery makes me laugh, but I did laugh out loud several times. And the plot has elements of suspense that makes me not want to stop listening.
Lynn
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lib-bk
Full review @ Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... Another amazing installment! I love Rosenfelt's writing and he always has me enthralled right up until the end!! ...more
Linda
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version, which is my preferred way of reading nowadays. I give both the story and the reader an A. I'm a sucker for a good murder mystery. Throw in an attorney with a self-deprecating sense of humor who loves dogs and I'm in near reading heaven.
Abbey
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one was a little more tense and suspenseful than book one, but the pace was still steady and the sarcastic humor was fantastic. The cast of characters is developing with some regulars--the judge, Laurie, Willy... This is my new literary popcorn series and I am so happy!
Kareemah
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad. I want more dog in the story :)
Lynn
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy Carpenter is an attorney from Paterson New Jersey. He lives alone with the best dog in the world, his golden retriever Tara. He is in a serious relationship with an ex cop, now private P.I Laurie.

He has become quite famous since his last trial defending Willie Miller which everyone considered a open and shut case. He also became very rich in the first book when he inherited 22 million from his father. It came as a complete surprise as he was unaware that his father had this much money store
Kathy Martin
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the second Andy Carpenter novel and this time Andy has to find a way to prove that his girlfriend Laurie is innocent of the brutal death of a fellow police officer. It was because she turned him in for corruption that Laurie left the force and became a private investigator.

The story begins when a man comes to Andy's office to confess that he was the one who killed the cop. Even though he doesn't take the case, because of lawyer-client privilege, he can't tell anyone what he has learned.
Connie N.
#2 in the Andy Carpenter series

Although this 2nd book in the series did not have quite the impact of the first, it was still very enjoyable. This time Andy is defending his girlfriend Laurie (the firm's investigator) from a murder charge. As with the first book, Rosenfelt is able to take what I usually consider to be dry reading (a trial) and make it entertaining and humorous. He has an amusing wit and way of turning a phrase that keeps me laughing throughout the book. Tara has a bit more of a r
Cathy Cole
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what kept me from this series for so long; it pushes all the right buttons for me. Nice, convoluted mystery, humor, dogs, and a wonderful cast of slightly oddball characters. I may not know what kept me from this series, but I do know that I intend to savor every single one. Who knows? There may be an Andy Carpenter Week (or two) in my future.

In this second book of the series, Andy is gathering together a first-rate "family." We're introduced to the very scary Marcus, whom Rosenfelt
Becky
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I enjoyed listening to this 2nd Andy Carpenter book. The story kept us intrigued and we love the reader. The combination of police work, detective work, and courtroom scenes along with interesting characters make a very good series.
Jenna
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

so finally an unabridged version on audio. B/c i'd already listened to #3 & 4 this was good as it filled in some missing info.

the characters are likable but as someone else said, the writer flops around so you can get lost at times.

Heidi Burkhart
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Rosenfelt's style! He keeps me interested, I love his characters, he keeps me guessing. The Andy Carpenter series is my favorite of his books.

This particular volume was terrific, and rather scary too!
Penelope
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! Great sequel to Open and Shut.
Eileen Lynx
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well read audio book. Not violent but very suspenseful.
USA Geography Cha...: First Degree by David Rosenfelt 1 4 Dec 29, 2014 06:29AM

• The McTavish Regressions: Arabesque
  • Heart Chimes
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6, Will Robie, #5.5)
  • Grand, Death, Auto (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery #14)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Heart of Barkness (Chet and Bernie Mystery, #9)
  • Sell Low, Sweet Harriet (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #8)
  • The King's Justice (Maggie Hope, #9)
  • Assault and Batting (Taylor Quinn Quilt Shop Mystery, #1)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #5)
  • Absinthe Without Leave (Midnight Louie, Cozy-Noir feline P.I. #1)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Sheepdogs: Keeping the Wolves at Bay (Gil Mason #1)
  • Guilty
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
  • Unleashed (Andy Carpenter #11)