Start by marking “First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)” as Want to Read:
First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)

First Degree

(Andy Carpenter #2)

Nominated for the Edgar and Shamus awards, Rosenfelt's debut novel, "Open and Shut," introduced irreverent lawyer Andy Carpenter. Now, Andy must save the love of his life, lead P.I. Laurie Collins, when she's framed for the murder of a cop.
Published June 1st 2004 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 2003)

Jaline
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xx2017-completed
This is the second book in the legal thriller series by David Rosenfelt, and it’s a good one! Andy Carpenter and his investigator Laurie Collins, who is also the love of his life, have a challenge ahead – they need to find out why his client is accused of a grisly murder when Andy knows he didn’t do it. Then, things become worse when Laurie is indicted for the same murder.

Edna, Andy’s secretary, is galvanized. Normally her work involves doing a lot of crossword puzzles – but this is Laurie. Kevi
Kevin
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kevin by: Brenda
Andy Carpenter's law office has a visit from a prospective client who admits through many details that he killed a police officer that is missing. Andy passes on the case and can't report on what was said because of client confidentiality. He then offers his services to the man accused.

More Sue Grafton than John Grisham, this courtroom shines. A high level of fantastically sarcastic one-liners make this series worth reading!
Jim
Another good mystery & tense court room drama as Andy protects the innocent. Gardner did a great job of reading it again, too. For the most part, the mystery & evidence was pretty well done, although there was some predictability & I felt like kicking him for missing the obvious a couple of times. One thing in particular bothered me - the gas can. (view spoiler) ...more
Nancy
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
As Jane Austen said: "If a book is well written, I always find it too short."
The Andy Carpenter Mysteries are addictive.
David Rosenfelt combines twists and turns in the plot
with humorous quirks of secretary Edna and legal assistant Kevin!
Tara, Carpenter's golden retriever,
always sits with Andy while he awaits the jury's verdict.
Love this series!
Kate Olson
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-reads
Loved it just as much as book 1 in the series! Can’t wait to continue in the Andy Carpenter world ❤ ...more
Amanda McGill
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
So, so happy that there are (as of today) 17 books in the Andy Carpenter series. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

Andy Carpenter has lawyer's block. He doesn't need the money so he is very selective when it comes to which cases he chooses to take on. After his last big case (Book #1 - Open and Shut) he hasn't found the right case to take on. Enter the mystery man who has just confessed to killing a police officer. This leads Andy on taking on multiple suspects accused of the murder, i
Mary Ronan Drew
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Rosenfelt has again written a book that combines Paterson, New Jersey, a golden retriever, and a murder mystery and again that is a fine combination. The first book in the series, featuring defense attorney Andy Carpenter was Open and Shut. If you have not read that book, don't read any further in this review as it will reveal some things from that first story.

Ok, in the first book Andy successfully defended a man on death row in a new trial and he is now representing him in a civil suit a
David
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
Once upon a time I read a mystery that I solved halfway through the book simply because of a minor aside that caused me to think of the cover of the book. The cover of the book gave that mystery away-- I never finished it.. but looked to the back and found I was 100% correct. I was extremely annoyed.

The cover of this book was really cool-- and had the opposite effect of the above anecdote. The cover of the book had absolutely NOTHING to do with the mystery inside. While that is not exceptionally
Ellen
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First Degree by David Rosenfelt.

Andy Carpenter, Paterson, New Jersey, attorney is just beginning to accept his notoriety from winning his last case when the decapitated remains of a member of the Paterson Police Dept is discovered. The body is burnt beyond recognition so DNA is required for an accurate identification. The victim is Alex Dorsey.
Geoffrey Stynes pays Andy a visit at his office. Stynes requests Andy as his attorney and they sign the standard retainer agreement which establishes cli
Maureen DeLuca
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd in the Andy Carpenter series and I absolutely love it. With the 22 million left to Andy by his father Andy can choose which cases he wants to take. He is witty as hell and one of his 'loves' is his dog, Tara- and his other love is P.I. Laurie Collins. And now Andy must save Laurie, when she's framed for the murder of a cop.

To really appreciate this book- I really think you should start with the first in this series "open and shut" which was another great read.

These are quick read
Judy
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book in this series so much that I wanted to listen to the second one. Again I warmed to protagonist, Andy Carpenter and the way he uses wit and humor in the courtroom. It not often that a mystery makes me laugh, but I did laugh out loud several times. And the plot has elements of suspense that makes me not want to stop listening.
Lynn
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lib-bk
Full review @ Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... Another amazing installment! I love Rosenfelt's writing and he always has me enthralled right up until the end!!
Linda
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version, which is my preferred way of reading nowadays. I give both the story and the reader an A. I'm a sucker for a good murder mystery. Throw in an attorney with a self-deprecating sense of humor who loves dogs and I'm in near reading heaven.
Becky
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I enjoyed listening to this 2nd Andy Carpenter book. The story kept us intrigued and we love the reader. The combination of police work, detective work, and courtroom scenes along with interesting characters make a very good series.
Dee
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two-haiku review:

Andy's girlfriend framed
Accused of murdering cop
Andy must defend

Another good one
Liking this series a lot
Humor, mystery
Kareemah
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad. I want more dog in the story :)
Francisco
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: courtroom
Another big case ends in a conspiracy. This time the blame falls on Laurie, Carpenter's girlfriend. Carpenter follows the clues until it leads to the mastermind behind the plot to blame Laurie for the murder of ex-detective Alex Demsey. How to prove that Alex and his lieutenant are to blame?
Abbey
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one was a little more tense and suspenseful than book one, but the pace was still steady and the sarcastic humor was fantastic. The cast of characters is developing with some regulars--the judge, Laurie, Willy... This is my new literary popcorn series and I am so happy!
Chandra
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
So I read books 2 & 3 in reverse order and so that did relieve some of the suspense for me. But a solid book.
Lisa
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Andy's sarcastic humor! I'll definitely be reading more of this series.
Karen
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
With the 22 million left to Andy by his father Andy can choose which cases he wants to take. For 6 months he has been turning cases down so Andy is surprised to have a Geoffrey Stynes walk into his office, admit to killing a cop, and then casually walk out.
When Andy hears who the cop is, Alex Dorsey a bad cop, he isn't all that surprised, until Oscar Garcia is accused of the murder and that isn't the person who walked into his office.
Laurie Collins, an ex-cop that worked with Dorsey now working
Victoria
This was another fun book! Some of the suspense had been removed for me since I first discovered this series by reading the first thirty or so pages of the sixth book in the series (Play Dead). Still, this was fun to read and I was pretty surprised by the way it all turned out. I really liked the way the Tara Foundation is set up and I am excited to keep reading this fun series! It is kind of like watching a TV show in some ways because of the humourous narration. Light and fun this makes for a ...more
Lisa Corneilson
I love Andy Carpenter. He is hysterical and these books are fun, quick and mysterious as he solves the crime while handling himself in the courtroom with wit and irreverence. David Rosenfelt doesn't get bogged down with every little detail of the courtroom process, so the story moves along. He also likes dogs, so that's a bonus.
Lisa
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. It was better than his first book of this series as the Character of Andy Carpenter unfolded more along with his dog Tara. Also the murder plot that unfolds against his girlfriend, Laurie builds with suspense through out the whole book right to the end. I love this series as it is really just fun, easy but very entertaining reads and Andy Carpenter is a great character.
Marie
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Legal thrillers are usually my first choice in the mystery field favorite but I picked up the first book in this series, "Open and Shut", on a recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. So, I was really looking forward to revisiting with Andy and others and this did not disappoint. I love that the dialogue is snappy and feel the courtroom scenes are well defined. I'll definitely read the next in the series.
Erin L
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: legal, audiobooks
Review of the audiobook.

I liked this book, but it seemed a little short for what was involved. Then again, sometimes the courtroom dramas like to really drag out the suspense until they give waaaaay too much information and bore the reader to death. I definitely prefer this method. I was never bored.

I like the characters. I think Andy is pretty awesome - the defense lawyer with a heart of gold.
Opa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second of Rosenfelt's books that I've read on the recommendation of a friend. I have enjoyed both books and would recommend them myself. His books have been intriguing, interesting and funny. I will read the rest of his books.
Carolina Imhof
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not too much depth to it, but it served its purpose: it was entertaining, kept me interested the whole time and I loved the main character. Definitely will read more from this author.
Joe
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good hook

Andy for such a lucky guy, rich, he sure gets himself in trouble a lot. What is interesting is how he gets out of it.
Richard White
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Enjoyable series.
USA Geography Cha...: First Degree by David Rosenfelt 1 3 Dec 29, 2014 06:29AM
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Hades
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #4)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Heaven Is High (Barbara Holloway #12)
  • Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
  • The Burglar in the Library (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #8)
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
  • Unleashed (Andy Carpenter #11)
“I find myself thinking, “I’m not so sure this is a great idea.” I find myself saying, “Great.” 0 likes