Start by marking “The Hills of Singapore” as Want to Read:
The Hills of Singapore

The Hills of Singapore (The Straits Quartet #3)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In this the third volume in The Straits Quartet, Farnham draws on the real-life historical personalities of the time, mixing fact and fiction to paint a rich portrait of love and loss in mid-nineteenth century Singapore, at a time when triads, piracy and crime were rife and life in colonial Southeast Asia was anything but safe.
Published February 16th 2011 by Monsoon Books (first published October 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Hills of Singapore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hills of Singapore

Liz
Mar 27, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed book 3 in 'The Straits Quartet'. Charlotte as always frustrated me with her stubbornness to reveal Alexander's paternity. I was also a more than a little surprised at Zhen's inability to recognise Alexander as his son! I did enjoy the development of the relationship between Zhen and Alexander and how Alexander did naturally favour and thrive within the Chinese culture.

The changing face of Singapore and life in the east was depicted very well and what was readily accepted in prev
Kay
Sep 07, 2011 Kay rated it liked it
I love the background and wealth of researched detail on 1850s Batavia and Singapore. It seems very convincing. But before I read this book, I never realized that there is a catagory (and a list on goodreads) of "Romance books with Asian male as love interest."
Eunice Chan
Feb 12, 2016 Eunice Chan rated it it was amazing
The historical parts of the story were well researched. Old Singapore came to life. Loved the historical context and details.
Louise
Mar 30, 2015 Louise rated it liked it
More of the same really, enjoyed it more than volume 2. I still find it odd how easily she decides to marry people...
Ryan
Jul 25, 2011 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: colonial, fiction
Although quite well researched in the detail of the period, the story and characters are of insufficient interest to draw the reader in, and I found it difficult to keep the interest in reading to the end. The only real reason being to discover the ending after the first 2 books. *Spoiler Alert* Now I wonder what could come next in this supposed 'quartet' since it seems there was a hollywood ending to this one.
Cynthia
Nov 27, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
"Everything wise and true and old was Chinese, but everything new, everything useful for commerce, came from the West."
This book is about the blending of cultures that gives us the modern society of Singapore today.
It took me back in time of a city I love .
Katarina
Apr 09, 2014 Katarina rated it really liked it
Much easier to read than first two in the quartet, however still only climaxed in the last 50 or so pages out of over 300!
Jean Monroe
Jun 28, 2013 Jean Monroe rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Lynne Porat
Lynne Porat is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2016
Sabina
Sabina rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Mirna Adenia
Mirna Adenia marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Liz C
Liz C rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Easter Weiss
Easter Weiss rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Shea
Shea rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Hilde Lundevall
Hilde Lundevall marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 04, 2015
Nina Mareta Kosasih
Nina Mareta Kosasih rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Phillip Kang
Phillip Kang marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Jennifer Vezdos
Jennifer Vezdos marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Chng Yang
Chng Yang is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2015
Jacqueline Moon
Jacqueline Moon rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Allison Evans
Allison Evans rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Kayla Owenson
Kayla Owenson rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
Christi Novomesky
Christi Novomesky marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

The Straits Quartet (4 books)
  • The Red Thread