Start by marking “The Doctor's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Doctor's Wife

The Doctor's Wife (Harvey Girls #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
People like Ellie Parrish did not get proposals of marriage from someone like Dr. Caleb Chaney. Even if his offer was the answer to her prayers, a man as decent and kind as Caleb didn't deserve a woman whose past was a lie.
Caleb Chaney could see that Ellie Parrish was a woman with a troubled soul. But he could also see a woman with a heart big enough to love his infant son
Hardcover, Large Print, 366 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Center Point (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor's Wife

Laura V.
No me gustó. Toda la historia está empañada por el dolor de Ellie y no puedo ver el romance en ello, porque ella sufre de verdad y con toda la razón, y no puedo dejar de sentir pena y lástima, y quiero abrazarla, y decirle que ya está bien, pero como novela romántica esto no va a funcionar. Porque aunque Caleb es bueno y magnífico padre, el romance está de más, lamentablemente.
~Megan~
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really lovely story! I read the sequel first, and had to go back and read Ellie and Caleb's story. I love them both!
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kiki
What I hated about the book: The hero!!!!!
He was TOO F***ING nice!
If he was a virgin/celibate we could've given him monkhood or sainthood!

description

Safety: (view spoiler)
R. Dewitt
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful and uplifting ! This is one of those books that takes you on an emotional roller-coaster. You start out with knitted brow and then you feel your heart drop with sadness before you reach a smile or two. The Smile comes and goes but the sadness and anger remain.
It rips your heart in two and then threads it back together before ripping it apart again...then sewing it back up...then ripping it. You see where i am going with this?!?!
That being said, it is a great, powerful read full of tr
Gail
This was part of the SuperLibrarian's bloggers bundle of e-books available from eHarlequin.com.

The hero is the "young whippersnapper" doctor, recently widowed with a young baby. The heroine is a young woman trying desperately for a fresh start in a new town in post-Civil War Kansas as a "Harvey Girl" working at one of the railroad restaurants--she breaks her arm, the doctor sets it and they realize that they can help each other out, since he needs someone to watch his infant son, and she can't
Ana
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
– Who doesn’t love a Cinderella story? Ellie is a down-on-her-luck heroine in need of a hero and she finds a white knight in Caleb. This is one of the story’s that makes you smile with the sheer romanticism of the plot. She offers to give him a hand when he is in need and in return she receives a man who will give her and her siblings a home. The Doctor’s Wife is one of those books that with leave you sighing with delight. ~ Ana, www.ireadromance.com
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5 4 stars; B+

I don't usually like stories that have lies and misunderstandings but this author handles it so well that it wasn't an issue. Another lovely romance by one of my favorite authors.
Emily
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature audiences
I liked the over all book. There were parts through out, mainly her one repeating flashback, that I didn't like however they helped shaped the story. I would recommend this book to mature audiences for the description of things like topics revolving sex, rape and nudity. I also didn't like how the book ended, I wish it had an epilogue and it was maybe like a year later following up on the last part of the book. Will Ellie survive the past memories, feeling love, a new job, marriage, scarlet feve ...more
Cherise
M.A. Nichols
This was a sweet story. Not remarkable, but enjoyable. I liked the characters and the story was pretty decent. I wished there had been a little more build up to the romance between the main characters, but for the most part I liked the book. The only thing I didn't care for was that there was more sexual content in the book than I like. Most of it was unnecessary to the story and I found myself skimming those scenes. I've read stories by this author before and they've been pretty squeaky clean, ...more
Jacqueline
A nice sweet story. I like this author's books. This books seemed well grounded in its time period. The young woman was realistic. Bad things had happened to her which were realistic for the time period. I enjoyed how nice the hero was. I liked the brothers. I think the older of the two brothers might have a story later in the series. It was well written and moved along at a reasonable pace. Not a lot of sex just two tasteful scenes.
Sheri
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this author through a friend's Goodreads review of another book. I looked St. John up and discovered many, many books and 5 star reviews. This is the first one I've read, and it was a great 4.5 star read. The characters were well drawn and wonderful. Their challenges were touching and believable. I know this is one I'll read again one day.
Michele
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl St John writes about people you would like to know, decent human beings with decency and some depth. This is one of her stronger novels. Her writing is predictable and not quite cookie cutter so there are surprises in most of her stories.
Jeanne
May 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
I don't usually read historical romances. This one was an okay read. Set in Kansas in the 19th century, it is the story of a widowed doctor and an outcast abused young woman. A touching story of the uniting of the families of Caleb and Ellie.
ms bookjunkie
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ms bookjunkie by: SuperWendy
Absolutely wonderful. Heartbreaking, heartwarming, emotionally satisfying. *warm fuzzies*
PWRL
Jun 15, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Christy
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good story. I would have given it a 5 if there hadn't been some scenes I had to skip. Not letting Katie read this one.
Sandra
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gostei mas não adorei.
Michelle Robinson
No one writes an angsty historical romantic fiction novel like cheryl St. John. I liked Ellie and was sorry for her I did find her story interesting.I am glad that I found this book.

Mary Lauer
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woman overcomes abusive traumatic upbringing to trust others and find happiness and love. Makes me cry every time I read it!!
Julie
totally boring and rubbish
Lyuda
OK story with way to much angst.
Susan Shearer
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes you believe in love!
Paula
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I was not expecting that. I absolutely loved it!
Pcch2345
  • The Tender Texan
  • Montana Bride
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • A Promise of Love
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • The Loving Trap
  • Hawk's Way: Carter & Falcon (Hawk's Way #5-6)
  • Northern Lights
  • The Wicked Earl  (Harlequin Historical Series, #843)
  • Without Words
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • Logan's Outlaw (Men of Defiance, #4)
  • Texas Glory (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • The De Burgh Bride (de Burgh, #2)
  • Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
  • Apache Magic (Coltons, #1)
  • Wed Under Western Skies: Abandoned \ Almost a Bride \ His Brother's Bride (The Copper Creek Brides #2.5) (Harlequin Historical, #799)
  • The Sea King
Cheryl is the author of more than fifty books. Her first book, Rain Shadow was nominated for Romance Writers of America’s RITA Award for Best First Book, by Romantic Times Magazine for Best Western Historical, and by Affaire de Coeur readers as Best American Historical Romance. Since then she has received three more RITA nominations, a Writer’s Digest award for a feature article, and several Roman ...more
More about Cheryl St. John...

Harvey Girls (3 books)