Start by marking “Nietzsche. Een biografie van zijn denken” as Want to Read:
Nietzsche. Een biografie van zijn denken

Nietzsche. Een biografie van zijn denken

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  778 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A seminal biography, essential reading for anyone studying the philosophy of history's most enigmatic and fascinating thinker.

No other modern philosopher has proved as influential as Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) and none is as poorly understood. In the first new biography in decades, Rüdiger Safranski, one of the foremost living Nietzsche scholars, re-creates the angui

Published 2005 by Olympus uitgeverij (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nietzsche. Een biografie van zijn denken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nietzsche. Een biografie van zijn denken

Matthew Linton
A biography with clear cut pros and cons. Here is a brief enumeration of both:

1. Great introductory biography for those unfamiliar with Nietzsche's life and writings. Safranski outlines Nietzsche's thought in clear, elegant prose requiring little previous philosophical background to understand.

2. Stays focused on Nietzsche's philosophy and doesn't get sucked into the petty details of his life or those of the age he lived in.

3. Lacks any glaring distortions of Nietzsche's philosophy. Acknowl
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
"It is absolutely unnecessary and not even desirable for you to argue in my favour; on the contrary, a dose of curiosity, as if you were looking at an alien planet with ironic distance, would strike me as an incomparably more intelligent attitude towards me."

This "philosophical biography" provides a thoughtful, chronological overview of the key ideas contained in Nietzsche's writings, taking each book in turn, but I would hesitate to respond by offering a review of Nietzsche. He himself, when he
Mr. Brammer
Nietzsche is one of those philosophers that you don't just pick up and read and digest and move on. Really you have to wrestle with his ideas over the course of your life. The young and ambitious are attracted to his ideas about rebellion - I think most people, at some point in their lives, view themselves as "exceptional" . . . while the older and experienced readers might be attracted to some of the more of the cynical side of N.'s writing.

This biography illuminates some of his more difficult
Dirk Baranek
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophie
Keine Biographie des wunderlichen Lebens dieses gnadenlosen Denkers, sondern eine Geschichte der Entwicklung seines Denkens. Nicht ganz eingängig geschrieben, kein Wunder bei der Komplexität des Gegenstandes, jedoch durchaus klar erläuternd, was Nietzsche will, woher er kommt und welche Brüche mit Denktraditionen ihn vorantreiben.
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first encountered Friedrich Nietzsche in my freshman year at Kenyon College, when my introductory political science class read his Beyond Good and Evil. It was fascinating and challenging, and though I understood the gist of it, there were plenty of aspects of it that went over my head. During my junior year, I abruptly dropped my music major (I picked it up again the next year) and took two classes that—finally—weren’t either English or music courses: computer programming and a political scie ...more
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elaborate review of Nietzsche's thought development. Correlates his thinking with many of his predecessors (mostly ancient Greek philosophers like Heraclitus and Socrates, and enlightenment guys like Kant and Spinoza), temporaries (Hegel, Schopenhauer, Max Stirner, Wagner, Strauss), and successors (Freud, Heidegger, Foucault, but no Husserl or Sartre).

Safranski uses a chronological order in which themes are very frequently repeated and much of the inconsistencies within Nietzsche's work come fo
Momo García
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Safranski es un gran biógrafo y un ensayista desafortunado. Su Nietzsche se encuentra más cerca del lado de la biografía, aunque desde el título advierte que hace un relato biográfico de su pensamiento. El resultado es increíble: muestra los libros de Nietzsche y los relaciona todo el tiempo con sus desafortunados andares; mejor homenaje no puede existir. Eso coloca al libro en una situación extraña: puede ser introductorio para unos, para otros un repaso -en el que se muestran algunas vetas ant ...more
Joan Sebastián Araujo Arenas
«Nietzsche: Biografía de su pensamiento», es, en esencia, un viaje. Es dejarse llevar por mares turbulentos, por el verdadero mundo, lo monstruoso. Las valquirias, en su caminar, nos acompañan en nuestro afán de búsqueda. Atravesamos el espacio y el tiempo, y conversamos con Sócrates, discutiéndole sus ideas. Seguimos, como por encanto, hasta Marx, con quien tomamos un café.

A Schopenhauer lo vemos a lo lejos, construyendo la representación de la voluntad; y sin embargo, con ninguno nos quedamos
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this for two reasons: one, because the author wrote a philosophical biography of Schopenhauer which I really liked; two, to prepare for my Nietzsche class next semester. I was expecting to like this as much as Safranski's other book. However, I found this book lacking. Although it focuses more on the philosophy rather than the biography, it seemed that the explanations where rather superficial. And yes, they seemed more like explanations rather than justifications. Perhaps the redeeming c ...more
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rüdiger Safranski beschrijft in dit prachtboek de ontwikkeling van het denken van Nietzsche. Biografische feitjes over ouders, zus, geboorteplaats en dergelijke zaken worden nauwelijks genoemd.

'Tussen Nietzsche en zijn gedachten speelt zich een hartstochtelijke liefdesgeschiedenis af, met alle verwikkelingen die we ook van andere liefdesgeschiedenissen kennen. Er zijn daarbij misverstanden, ruzies, jaloezie, begeerte, afkeer, woede, angsten, verrukkingen in het spel. De hartstocht voor het denk
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Safranski examines the intersection of Nietzsche's life and thought in this impressive and thoughtful biography. In doing so he presents a reappraisal of Nietzsche's philosophy, his relationships with others including Wagner, and his many interests including music and literature. In his concluding remarks, the author offers this comment about his project: "Nietzsche's philosophical biography is a story without an end and will need to continue being written" (p 349). This notion of "philosophical ...more
Cormac Zoso
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was an excellent if not intense bio of my personal favorite philospher ... having been raised in the lutheran church (missouri synod ... or misery synod as i always said) reading the first words of his where he ripped the lutherans was obviosly going to get on my constant reading list (and i almost always have one of his books near at hand as when i need a break or a jolt of hard-core philosophy) ... this was a heacvy read tho so if you're not really into the man, it might be a rough read . ...more
Denton McCabe
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nietzsche
An interesting look at Nietzsche's life, not in terms of his experiences but in terms of his writings. The best thing about this text is that each chapter will attempt to cross reference his writings from earlier and later in his career. I think this is essential reading for any student of Nietzsche, Philosophy, Critical Theory, etc.

I will be reading the books on Nietzsche by Heidegger, Deleuze, and Bataille in the very near future!!
Francisco Bescos
El libro Es recomendable por si mismo,ya que como todos los de safransky es magnifico,pero desde el Puntos de vista filosofico es insuperable.
La idea de hacer una biografia intelectual Del pensamiento de Nietzsche es original y una empresa apasionante que safransky ha llevado a termino con su habitual maestria.
Es un buen libro para introducirse en Nietzsche , hay otro Bueno de fernando savater,pero logicamente se disfruta mucho mas si has leido a Nietzsche (mejor su obra completa)
So far.. Safranski, like always, is so clear. Short easy readable chapters discussing themes in Nietzsches life are really helping me getting an insight in Nietzsches life and putting his books in a better perspective. Joy to read! Although offcourse you have to find Nietzsche interesting as a person. If you ever manage to get your head around him that is..!
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nietzsche one of the German clichés, more frequent quotated as he could be very funny, but never readed or understanded beyond what his sister and Mr. Chamberlains protonazism, I'm still waiting for a good book about the Nietscheancountry she and her husband trying to stablish in Paraguay.
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This is a very handsome introduction to the life and work of the "philosopher with the hammer". Great read.
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Well written biography of Nietzsche explaining his life in manner underandable for intelligent person, who knows who Nietzsche was and what was the basic of his philosophy.
A good and intelligent book, but definitely the author's take on Nietzsche, biographically and philosophically, rather than an attempt at a comprehensive or "objective" biography.
"The book is an ideal blend of biography, philosophy, and cultural history." - Eric Posner
Mike Burmeister
his philosophies werent bent at best sometimes
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview over the life and the work of Nietzsche.
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A thought-provoking biography of the great philosopher.
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Abandoned. Never understood the structure of it.
Richard Edgeworth
Oct 01, 2014
Thomas Schjønning
Apr 13, 2017
  • Nietzsche, Volumes One and Two
  • Nietzsche - Life as Literature (Paper)
  • Spinoza: A Life
  • Nietzsche and the Vicious Circle
  • Zorn und Zeit
  • Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius
  • Time and Narrative, Volume 1
  • The Concept of Irony: With Continual Reference to Socrates/Notes of Schelling's Berlin Lectures
  • Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity
  • The Cambridge Companion to Nietzsche
  • What Nietzsche Really Said
  • On Nietzsche
  • The Waste Books
Rüdiger Safranski is a German literary scientist and author. He has been a professor of philosophy and the humanities at the Free University of Berlin since 2012.
More about Rüdiger Safranski...

Nonfiction Deals