Start by marking “Ruby Tear Catcher: An Iranian Woman's Story of Intolerance” as Want to Read:
Ruby Tear Catcher: An Iranian Woman's Story of Intolerance

Read Excerpt

Ruby Tear Catcher: An Iranian Woman's Story of Intolerance

The Ruby Tear Catcher is the heartwarming story of an Iranian woman whose life is uprooted during the Islamic Revolution in Iran in the 1970s and 1980s. While jailed in Tehran's most-feared prison, where she's held for her father's antiregime sentiments, Leila tells her story in flashback. She describes her childhood days in Tehran and shares her experiences as a college s ...more
Published February 14th 2011 by Summerhill Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby Tear Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby Tear Catcher

Start your review of Ruby Tear Catcher: An Iranian Woman's Story of Intolerance
Randi
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Randi by: Goodreads.com
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and my copy is autographed! I usually read a completely different kind of book, but I'm glad I read this one. This is an amazing work of fiction by Nahid Sewell, telling the story of Leila-an Iranian woman from Tehran. The story begins with Leila being unjustly arrested in her native Tehran, because of her father's political views. The chapters alternate between her present prison life and her path from childhood to adulthood. This story paints a vivid pi ...more
Gerry
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Have to admit my prejudice, but this is a wonderful story with much to teach about the culture of Iran and its people. Heartwarming and at times painful in its intensity, so many describe it as riveting.
Jo-Ann Murphy
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was so lucky to win this book through the Goodreads giveaways! This is a brilliant book!! Every woman should read this book, especially in the current political climate of the United States.

This is a love story. Not only the love of a man and a woman but love for family, friends, country and religion. It grabbed me from the beginning but took me a long time to read because it is a hard read. It is emotional and has many complex layers and ideas that require thought and confrontation in your ow
Jalpa Williby
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I have to start out by saying that I love reading about different cultures. Secondly, I love reading about perseverance. So needless to say, this story has both, and I absolutely loved it.

Ruby Tear Catcher is a story of an Iranian woman who has horrible things happen to her. Most women would accept their fate. But the author does a fantastic job showing the main character's strength. It was very easy for me to get attached to the characters. I found myself crying most of the book-
Joanne
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nahid Sewell captures the human condition and really opened my eyes to how similar we all are, no matter what country we grew up in or what culture we are. Prior to reading this book, all I knew about Iran was what I saw on the evening news. Now, I have developed a greater appreciation and respect for the culture and people of Iran, and a greater understanding of the political climate there. Through her writing, I came to feel like the characters were real people. At the end of the book, I thoug ...more
Beth
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous novel! One that teaches the reader that Iran is more than what we hear and see in the news. Like all of history there are people wanting to live a simple and happy lives but are thrown into political turmoil and unrest. This story reminds us that love is the answer and that all people and religions are connected.
Josephine
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-general
This work of fiction illustrates a horrifically real period in Iranian and American history. In the 70's, Iran underwent a radical change to become a conservative religious country.
Sewell's story continues to resonate today with it's message to fight religious intolerance which extends not only intolerance of other religions but also differing interpretations of the same religious text.
Julie Michael
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this. I thought the author did a wonderful job of making see Iran and feel how it was to grow up there. The author created this story from real women's stories. It is a must read!
David Davis
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, Excellent, Excellent book! I highly recommend it. Very gripping and hard to put down. Nahid takes you right into the story, and I actually felt like I was there.
Amy
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, it's one I'd never pick up on my own. A friend gave it to me after the author (based in Chicago) spoke at one of her book clubs. It tugs at your heart strings, but is a beautiful read.
Megan
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Amazing book! I am shocked it is not on must read lists.
Dimity
I won this historic fiction novel about the Iranian Revolution from First Reads. It’s from a smaller press (or maybe self-published, I’m not sure). I don’t think I’ve read anything about the Iranian revolution except for Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood but the topic of Muslim women is fascinating to me and the reason why I entered to win a copy.

Leila is a typical upper class Iranian girl (and later woman) enjoying her life in her native Iran somewhere between Islamic traditions and modernit
Rachel P
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was pleased to win the “Ruby Tear Catcher: An Iranian Woman's Story of Intolerance,” as a first-reads giveaway. This novel is a poignant, well written story about a young Iranian woman named Leila and how the events of her life are shaped by her culture, religion, and the Islamic Revolution in 1979. This is a timely novel and a much needed, intimate portrayal of the suffering and cruelty women face in an Islamic fundamentalist country.

The opening of the novel finds Leila being arrested and se
Maryellen
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Chosen as a book club selection at work because a colleague's wife is the author. Fictional but based on the author's roots in Iran before the revolution. Story is told in flashback and set in Iran, Bethlehem, Pa. (Lehigh University, where the author attended) and Paris. Fascinating insights into Iranian culture and religous fundamentalism - both Muslim and Christian. Something I would not have read without the personal connection but would recommend. Good discussion book.
Mary
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I met the author at the Printer's Row Book Fair. Her book is a mixture of her story with fictional events. It displays the Persian culture during the reign of the Shaw followed by the fall (imprisonment or death) during the rise and ruling of the Fundamentalists.
Sheryl
Oct 12, 2011

• The Absent Superpower: The Shale Revolution and a World Without America
  • With All Due Respect: Defending America With Grit and Grace
  • As Close to Us as Breathing
Nahid Sewell was born in Tehran, Iran, before the Islamic Revolution. After finishing high school in Tehran, she came to the United States, where she obtained a B.A. and M.B.A. from Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Following graduation, Nahid began a successful career in Information Technology. While holding full-time positions and raising a family, she began writing a series of techn ...more