Start by marking “Ray Bradbury's the Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation” as Want to Read:
Ray Bradbury's the Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation

Ray Bradbury's the Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation

(Ray Bradbury Graphic Novels)

The Earthmen came by the handful, then the hundreds, then the millions. They swept aside the majestic, dying Martian civilization to build their homes, shopping malls, and cities. Mars began as a place of boundless hopes and dreams, a planet to replace an Earth sinking into waste and war. It became a canvas for mankind's follies and darkest desires. Ultimately, the Earthme ...more
Published July 19th 2011 by Hill and Wang (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ray Bradbury's the Martian Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray Bradbury's the Martian Chronicles

Start your review of Ray Bradbury's the Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation
Debbie Zapata
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019sundaze
I'm not really sure why, but I have never read Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, so when I had the chance to order this graphic adaptation of the book I took it. And of course, now I want to read the original version!

In the introduction to this 2011 edition, Bradbury explains his lifelong fascination for Mars and how he came to write the stories that eventually were collected as The Martian Chronicles.

I was so impressed with this book! There is a lot to think about here, and the topics are as
Diane
What a fantastic adaptation this is! The Martian Chronicles is one of my favorite sci-fi books, and when I saw this graphic novel version on the shelf at my library, I grabbed it and couldn't wait to read it.

The text is from Bradbury's famous stories, and the accompanying drawings are striking. I've read the original novel several times, and reading it with such powerful visuals made it even more thought-provoking and compelling.

I would highly recommend this adaptation to science-fiction fans.

Fa
Katie
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
What a weird, mostly repetitive, dark, not very fun time.
Gina
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
A couple of qualifiers:

1) I almost never read graphic novels and when I do, I mostly wish I was just reading a novel. I liked the Fahrenheit 451 adaptation well enough, but didn't think it really held a candle to the book. Also, I don't care for the style of artwork you often find in graphic novels and I hate reading anything written in all caps. So I'm not coming at this book as an appreciator of the medium.

2) The Martian Chronicles is my favorite book of all time. I know much of it practical
Kerry
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, 7, 2011, graphic-novel
Dave got this one from the library and, since it was sitting there, I thought I'd give it a read. I remember my father reading this one and him watching the 1979 miniseries. I must have come in at the end, as the only part I remembered was the very end with the father saying "here are the Martians." Those memories were enough for me to decide to give the graphic novel a try.

I'm not that good with graphic novels (I miss a lot as I'm a written word person rather than a visual person) and consideri
Michael
This is an OK adaptation of The Martian Chronicles, but the strength of the original stories is in Bradbury's language, so once you've stripped the majority of that away what you're left with is much diminished.

The artwork is fine and would work OK with something more plot-driven, but it failed to convey to me the pain, grief, loss and nostalgic yearning of the original. It would have taken something special and amazing to convey that artistically, and Calero just didn't do it.

If you haven't rea
zxvasdf
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I love The Martian Chronicles. I remember it being the first sf novel I read that wasn't from the children's corner. Rocket Summer won me over. The novel enthralled me with its lyrical quality, dreamlike sequences of madness, subterfuge, hypocrisy, then finally, a redemption of sorts.

So... no offense to the artist, but this graphic novel doesn't live up to the grandeur of the novel. It's just a matter of taste, and it's not mine. I pictured vibrant colors, bold and fluid lines, and perhaps a col
Kevin Shepherd
Graphic adaptations of novels can, when done right, introduce time-tested classics to a whole new audience. Dennis Calero's rendering of The Martian Chronicles is impressive, but it lacks the nuance and heft of Bradbury's book. 4 stars for nice artwork and for inspiring me to revisit the original.
Donna
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago and I can still remember the visions and the words. Rock Hudson looking into the pool of water and declaring who the Martians were. Loved it!
➷
Sep 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
description

This... was embarrassing. So embarrassing I had to add an image. I literally could not rate this book two stars because it weighed on my soul. This was depressing to get through.

So, first off, I'm a die-hard fan of Bradbury, and I've read The Martian Chronicles probably twice, not necessarily chronologically each time, but all the same, I'm familiar. I knew the plots of most of the stories... and I still got confused, because the speech bubbles make no sense.

Look at that. That is sad. That is un
Emily
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
At $30, I am not quite sure who this book is for. Libraries with declining and sometimes empty book budgets don't need to spend that much money on a graphic adaptation of The Martian Chronicles, especially one with poor graphics. I love The Martian Chronicles and I love Ray Bradbury even more. It has been quite a while since I read the classic collections of tales set in an alien world with human themes. I was swept up again into the world of Bradbury's masterful creation. However, young childre ...more
Richard Herman
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone seeking good literature - and sanity
Recommended to Richard by: My DAD
Bradbury was my first "favorite writer" back in the 60s. He is a man out of time - an anachrnoism. The night (change) surrounds him, but he crys out against it - - and that makes for some of the finest sf ever written. This series of short stories is a reexamination of our conquest of America. How we drove out the real owners and "took over" and brought everything we were running away from in Europe, with us - only more so. An author well worth the reading, short story collections, such as this, ...more
Philip Burt
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The simple, vivid writing stays true to Bradbury's collection of stories in novel form, and the sense of eeriness one might draw from the original work is reflected well in the lively, detailed illustrations, as is the action. Though the characters follow their dreams of making a fresh start, both Bradbury's original work and the graphic novel portray that humans still have their flaws, even on Mars. I found Bradbury's take of what life is / would possibly be like on Mars to be very stimulating, ...more
Damon
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have never understood the appeal of comic books (or "graphic novels", hoity toity!) While stylish, I find their layouts to be unwieldy and incredibly difficult to follow. Do I scan left to right, up or down? Both? Neither? There is no universal standard. I am at the mercy of the artist and however many cups of coffee he had that day. On the topic of art: static images in service of a narrative just doesn't mesh for me. When I read a novel, I get to draw on my imagination to conjure scenery in ...more
Chris
This was quite disappointing. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors and though I have not yet read The Martian Chronicles, I suspect this was a very bad adaptation of it. The writing seemed like a poorly chosen abridgement of what was written originally. It's kind of made up of a collection of short stories and I can tell that at least some of them are pretty good in substance as a whole, they just read really poorly in this format. I do still want to read the novel, but this adaptation can ...more
Massanutten Regional Library
Kelly, Central patron, July 2017, 2 stars:

The Martian Chronicles was one of my favorite books in high school, so when I found a graphic novel version in my local library, I was excited to revisit the story in a different format. I was disappointed. Big chunks of the story were cut out so that when the climax arrived, it felt premature and unearned. Also, the artwork and dialogue bubbles were poorly done. Some chapters were painted so darkly that I couldn't make out what was going on, and the bub
Kelly Clark
"The Martian Chronicles" was one of my favorite books in high school, so when I found a graphic novel version in my local library, I was excited to revisit the story in a different format. I was disappointed. Big chunks of the story were cut out so that when the climax arrived, it felt premature and unearned. Also, the artwork and dialogue bubbles were piss-poor. Some of the chapters were painted so darkly that I couldn't tell what was going on, and the bubbles were placed so haphazardly that I ...more
Madison Davis
Of course, everyone knows Bradbury for Fahrenheit 451. This is the only other novel of his that I have been exposed to. There were some parts where I FLEW through; however, there were others where I seemed to get in a lull and have to push through. The chapter with Spender and the fourth expedition is what really bought me into this book. That is a pivotal chapter and has such an echoing effect on what we are facing in our world right now! I cannot wait to teach this book in my science fiction c ...more
David Thomas
A graphic adaptation of Ray Bradbury's classic. Basically a series of soft scifi stories about humans colonizing mars and displacing the Martians. I've never read the novel, but this didn't really grab me. For stories written in the 40s, they aren't TOO dated. I don't know. I understand that a lot of the draw of the original was the prose, so a lot is probably lost. To me this was just old, boring, generic space scifi.
Jodi
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had been dreading a title set in outer space. I had been trying to look for an audiobook that was not 14 hours long. The librarian helped me find this. I do not like graphic books and outer space is not my deal. I struggled to make it thru this. I had no idea what I read and the pictures of some of the people were nightmare worthy.
Colin
An excellent graphic novel adaptation of the classic of science fiction by Ray Bradbury. I picked it up at a Dollar Tree, but it would have been worth paying cover price. Contains a fascinating introduction by Ray Bradbury from 2011, the year before he passed away.
Andrew Kline
Having never read the book, I felt that the author made this more from a fan's point of view, less than someone trying to adapt it for a wider audience. Very confusing at first. Ended okay, but I would have rather read the book.
Lacey
I didn't care for this one. I didn't know what was going on. I should of read the original story first, then I may have known more. The pictures were interesting though.
Sean
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 really
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this doesn't really work well as a graphic novel.
Crystal Gagne
Listened to the audio dramatization and it was a great listen/ performance! Very entertaining! Colonial Radio Theatre did a great job bringing these classic sci fi stories to life! I loved it!
Alex
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Martian Chronicles, but I didn't think this adaptation was great. The art was dark and sometimes the order of speech bubbles was confusing.
Elna
:( I love The Martian Chronicles, and so was very excited to see this graphic adaptation. But the art style didn't work for me, and the coloring was flat and vaguely muddied.
Laurian Vega
I liked seeing the adaptation but I wanted to see more martians.
Elizabeth
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot room for detail in the graphic novel.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bitcoin For Dummies
  • Cryptocurrency Investing For Dummies
  • A Short Life of Swami Vivekananda
  • Tales from Outer Suburbia
  • The Turk: The Life and Times of the Famous Eighteenth-Century Chess-Playing Machine
  • Brambleheart: A Story About Finding Treasure and the Unexpected Magic of Friendship (Brambleheart, #1)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • The Scourge
  • Hanoi & Halong Bay Encounter (Lonely Planet Encounters)
  • Pocket Shanghai
  • Angkor Wat & Siem Reap: Encounter (Lonely Planet Encounters)

Ray Bradbury Graphic Novels (4 books)
  • Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation (Ray Bradbury Graphic Novels)
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation