Start by marking “Confessions of a Little Black Gown” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Little Black Gown

Confessions of a Little Black Gown

(Bachelor Chronicles #4)

She spied him in the shadows . . .

Published March 31st 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 24th 2009)

Angelc
Unfortunately, I didn't finish this one, so no star rating for me. I felt like it was one of those romances where the 'mystery' takes up more of the story than the romance. I loved the basic idea of the rakish hero masquerading as a nerdy vicar, but the lack of interaction between the hero and heroine made me uninterested in them. If you are a big fan of the rest of this series, I'm sure you would like the book because the supporting characters are a huge players in this one. One thing that disa ...more
kris
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Geoff Larkin is tasked with locating the escaped pirate Daswhwell and killing him dead. Thalia "Tally" Langley helped the dread pirate escape and now must keep him hidden from those who'd like to kill him dead. When their paths cross, SPARKS FLY because something something BONERS. Will these two spies be able to out-spy each other before someone gets their spy broken?

1. WHY WAS ANYONE EVEN TRYING TO SAVE DASH HE SEEMED LIKE AN ASSHOLE?

2. So as much as I loved the fact that Tally was On her Game
Isalys
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! One of my favorite qualities in any book is if it could make me laugh - and while reading this, if I wasn't giggling, I was trying to unravel the mystery of the missing American pirate that was freed from one of England's most secure prisons.

In the very beginning, the book didn't seem anything out of the ordinary [for a historial romance:] but at about chapter 3, it really started to come to life. Tally (Thalia Langley) was such a fun, flirty character who was anything but or
Shoshana G
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Thalia sees Lord Larkin and falls in love at first glance. Well, she falls in love with the dangerous man she sees under his unassuming cover, for Lord Larkin is pretending to be Rev. Milo Ryder while actually searching for the escaped pirate Thomas Dashwood. Larkin's mission to kill Dashwood brings him to conflict with Tally's goals, for after all she and her cousin Pippin were the ones who rescued him...

These just keep getting sillier!
Liz
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that the female protagonist took charge of her own life and had adventures.
Jessica Grogan
DNF. I Usually really enjoy Elizabeth Boyle's books and this started out well but I found myself bored and thinking of other books I want to read. It's been a few years since I read Felicity and Thatcher's story but I loved it and I don't remember her being so annoying. And I felt like this book was mostly to help set up Pippin and Dash's story and since I don't like Dash I've never been interested in reading that. I'm not invested enough in any of the rest of the characters to finish the series ...more
SidneyKay
Blodeuedd Finland
I enjoyed this book a lot, I even giggled from time to time. And it was sure hard to keep a straight face while reading if there were others having lunch at the same time. I do love a good historical romance, there is just something sweet, and sometimes oh so wicked about them. Not to mention that I love the time and the manners.

I liked Thalia, she was strong, and she knew what she wanted, a wicked rake, pirate or perhaps a spy. So when the man she spies in the shadows actually is a vicar she is
Cynthia
Dec 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There were some ideas with potential floating around in this book:
Little Black Gown, Spy/Vicar, playwriting heroines, pirate jailbreaks, secret female spy order, and such. Too bad it came together in a boring inane mush. Ugh.

Honestly, I don't really care about Tally or Larken, especially when they aren't all that admirable and don't have any depth. Boyle tries to give them life but they fall flat.

Also, I'm assuming the sister Felicity and the Duke were the H/H of a previous book, but Felicity ca
Mikka
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was okay overall, but Tally and Larken were not the most interesting part. I spent most of the book wondering about Pippin and Dash. Also, Felicity was really annoying in this book and seemed like a completely different character from the previous book. So far, this is the weakest book in the series.
penelopewanders
Although most of my boxes were ticked with this one (interesting and enterprising, intelligent main characters, somewhat complicated and not entirely predictable plot, clever dialogue, etc etc), for some reason this didn't quite enchant me as other books by this author have. I've enjoyed this series, and I did enjoy this one, but perhaps my expectations were too high. A good read nonetheless.
Helen Moulden
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first third of the book was a bit blah but then it really picked up and I didn't like to put it down. I so want more about the other characters. I haven't read any of the other books in the series.
Jen
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
241 pages
Reminded me of a not so great rom-com.
Maybe I'll read another story, maybe not.

June
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bachelor Chronicles fans
Thalia does not believe Lord Larken's cover.

Rounded down because not a traditional HEA ending.
Kimberly
Originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/revie...

Upon hearing the voice of a mysterious stranger in her brother-in-law’s study, Thalia Langley thinks she just might have met her destiny…or not. How could the duke’s bumbling, poorly-dressed vicar of a cousin be the man of her dreams? From the moment she meets the awkward Milo Ryder, Tally knows there must be more to him than meets the eye. And when a mysterious little black gown lands in her lap, Tally knows just ho
Amber
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Momma
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
From the moment Thalia Langley first caught a glimpse of him in her brother-in-law's study, she knew. He was the one. And then he stepped forward and proved to be a bumbling vicar. Somehow, despite his appearance, she knew from that moment that the rake she desired was hiding underneath. Tally has more intuition than I do apparently :)

With twists and turns, secrets, spies and intrigue this one will keep you on your toes and interested throughout it all.

In the interest of not ruining the book for
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, suspense, 2013
This was an intriguing and thrilling story. I was caught up in the suspense it had. Thalia, our heroine, is being matchmaked by her determined sister at an upcoming house party. Along comes Lord Larken, our hero, disguised as Mr. Rider, to spy on Thalia and her cousing Pippin, the suspects of a jail break-out.

I really adored the storlyine, the plot. It was refreshing to read in a historical romance, and I was eagerly wanting to know if Thali and Pippin really were the culprits of breaking out L
Shelly
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leya
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
The characters were likable. I found both the hero, Lord Larken, and heroine, Thalia "Tally" Langley very compatible, they just clicked. They're both adventurous, inquisitive and humorous. The only thing missing was chemistry. Alright, it may just be me, but the "umph" was missing.

The mystery, well not really a mystery...I found it a little tedious at times, and the reason for it was I was expecting more of Pippin and Dash in the book. I really enjoy those two, and I cannot wait to get my hands
Sylvain
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it

She spied him in the shadows . . .And in an instant, Thalia Langley knew the man before her was no saint. He might claim to be the Duke of Hollindrake's unassuming country cousin, but no man that handsome, that arresting, could be anything but . . . well, he simply must be an unrepentant rogue. His cat-like grace and power leave Tally shivering in her slippers at the notion of all the wicked, forbidden things he might be capable of doing . . . to her.Indeed, Lord Larken is no bumbling vicar, but

Erica
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Boyle's novels are a fun and engaging read, and I always look forward to her next release. I read this one a bit out of order, so I was familiar with some of the later storylines and the future development of the characters.

I enjoyed this book, for the most part. The characters were fun to follow and easy to like. However, some of the ending pages felt forced and unnecessary. In addition, some aspects of the plot seemed underdeveloped, so I found myself backtracking to see if I missed
Vasilena
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best one in the series yet! Both characters very much to my liking, no nonsense people. Many very good scenes in this one, the comedic runs well done.

Only shade is cast by Pippin and Dashwell's tragic story which made it hard for me to be super happy about the characters here, but then again like hero said they wouldn't have spun their story without that happening...

I am liking these series for entirely different reasons than other series: some dealw ith deep emotions, some with ce
Patricia Kate
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Boyle is a great new discovery! Confessions of a Little Black Gown is the first of her books that I read and it did not disappoint. Tally was smart and likable. Larkin was so interesting. Many plot points were unpredictable in the best way . . . including the introduction of the H/h. There was a fair amount of adventure in this book, but I didn't feel like the adventure completely overtook the romance. And all of the supporting characters were interesting and went beyond stereotypes.
Linda
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an accidental re-read but the novel is actually better the second time round, since I'm now reading the The Bachelor Chronicles series in order. This title is strongly connected to the previous book, Love Letters from a Duke.

Thalia Langley, better known as Tally, is up to no good. She's assisting her cousin, Pippa, in her tempestuous romance with Dashwell. They have a plan...

Then, Lord Larken, disguised as a vicar appears. Tally sees through his masquerade quickly, but he's in search o
Michelle
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little behind with the Elizabeth Boyle books so this is only the second I've read behind Lord Langley is Back in Town. Since I'm reading these in the wrong order I am a little confused with some of the background and secondary characters but I've found that in the end this didn't matter to me. I loved Tally. She was the right kind of sassy and independent. She knew what she wanted and she went out and got it. What she wanted was Lord Larken and he was a great hero. I've always enjoyed a no ...more
Mary
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
There's a lot of spying going on at this little house party! Lord Larken, master spy, is undercover to find an escaped traitor pirate who happens to be his friend. The women in the Langley/Knolles family are scheming to pull off a great escape. And a deadly assassin is trying to tie up loose ends and retrieve a certain sexy black gown. Meanwhile there is the serious business of matchmaking to attend to.

Larken and Tally made a great couple. They were both very skilled at espionage and just plain
Zoe
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot going on here, with the fact that I'm not reading the series in order making it a bit complex. The hero is a so what jaded spy, the heroine an adventurous woman who fears nothing save the discovery of her and her cousins involvement in breaking a wanted criminal from jail. Reading the first in the series might have helped clear up a couple of questions (for instance, we never really get more than vague notions as to why said criminal is wanted In The first place beyond 'he knows t ...more
Freja ☼
This book is so funny! I love, love, love the epilogue ending!!!! I mean, how genius is that?

The story is really sweet and I love the turnout, for most of the characters. Though the Pippin part makes me a bit sad.

I think that Tally is an amazing girl! She's just so lively and cute and gifted. Mr. Larken is a very good con artist, and oh, how I love him for it! He's like the most epic dude ever!

This story is just great, and I really, truly think that people should read this book, if not for th
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 05, 2015 11:11AM

• Love with the Perfect Scoundrel (Widows Club, #3)
  • Three Nights of Sin
  • The Virgin's Secret (Lost City, #2)
  • The Sins of Lord Easterbrook (Rothwell #4)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (The Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
  • To Sin With a Stranger (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • Once Upon a Scandal (Scandal, #2)
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family, #4)
  • A Tale of Two Lovers (The Writing Girls, #2)
  • The Disgraced Playboy (The Notorious Wolfes, #2)
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.

Bachelor Chronicles (9 books)
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2)
  • Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3)
  • Memoirs of a Scandalous Red Dress (Bachelor Chronicles, #5)
  • How I Met My Countess (Bachelor Chronicles, #6)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
  • Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)
  • Mad About the Major