Start by marking “Edge Of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)” as Want to Read:
Edge Of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)

Edge Of Evil (Ali Reynolds #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  4,949 Ratings  ·  391 Reviews
The end of her high-profile broadcasting career came too soon for TV journalist Alison Reynolds—bounced off the air by executives who wanted a "younger face." With a divorce from her cheating husband of ten years also pending, there is nothing keeping her in L.A. any longer. Cut loose from her moorings, Ali is summoned back home to Sedona, Arizona, by the death of a childh ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Edge Of Evil, please sign up.

Beth Gibson Not really. But it does kind of leave it open for her to hook up with the detective. Maybe it happens in the next book or two. I haven't read them yet…moreNot really. But it does kind of leave it open for her to hook up with the detective. Maybe it happens in the next book or two. I haven't read them yet though.(less)

Deborah
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this last night, and just finished it at 4:30pm. This is the first in the Ali Reynolds series, and I purchased them all so that I can read them in order. I enjoyed this newest J.A. Jance character so much, that I'm going to start the next one later this evening!
Carly
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
**edited 01/30/14

This was my first J.A. Jance book. I also plan for it to be my last.

Despite my low rating, I have no violent outrage; it just irritated me in a multitude of different ways. This was mainly due to my own personal outlook: this book definitely has a bad case of Did Not Do the Research and I tend to be very quickly exasperated by incorrect real-world details and inconsistencies. I also found the protagonist to be self-righteous, unlikeable, and egocentric. The author attempts to m
Anna
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay - this book had some good parts but didn't have much of a plot and wasn't particularly well written. If you're looking for a good thriller/suspense novel, you can do better than this.
Mary Sue
JA Jance writes beautifully about the Southwest and this book is no exception. Sedona and Flagstaff, Arizona are featured as well as hurly-burly life in LA, California. The main character Allison, is an anchor woman who loses her job to a younger woman. When she goes home to the sympatheic arms of her husband she finds he also has dumped her for a younger women. She retreats to her home town of Sedona, to heal. But she encounters an even rougher way to end a marriage. Her long time friend has be ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Successful TV journalist Alison Reynolds' career comes to an abrupt end when top executives decide they need a "younger face". As if that's not enough, Ali discovers her media mogul husband is cheating on her: and her best friend from high school is missing." (From Amazon)

A great suspense/mystery novel. I liked Ali.
J
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, even though murder mysteries aren't my cup of tea. I wish I had access to the audiobooks of the rest of the series as I really like the narrator.
It held my interest till the end, but the ending of this was just to easy. All neat and tidy and handed to you on a platter.
Dlora
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, fast-paced book, though the title doesn't fit the action much. Well, since the suicide--or is it a murder?--occurred when a car ran off the edge of a cliff, maybe there is some relevance to Edge of Evil. I think a better title would have been Cut Loose. The story begins when the main character, Ali Reynolds, is cut loose from her job as a news anchor. Then she discovers her husband has been cheating on her so she decides to cut loose from him. She drives to Sedona, Arizona, when sh ...more
Rosabelle Purnama
I read this book in less than 24 hours in total. Only put this book down to take a shower, to sleep and to go to work the next morning. After work, I continue reading it for another 30 minutes until I'm finished with it.

This is my first book by J.A. (Judith Ann) Jance. This is actually just a normal mystery-thriller, but the writing flows and makes me want to keep reading it in one sitting from start to finish.

The story is about a news reporter, Ali Reynolds, who were fired from her job becaus
Bruce Snell
Although this is the first of a new series by J.A. Jance, it was as typical and familiar as reading any of her Joanna Brady stories. Sort of like watching a new TV show that is a spin-off of an older show - nothing new here. Right now, I can guarantee that the cop Ali Reynolds met in this book will become a boyfriend in the next book. She will win her lawsuit against the LA TV station (even though in real life she would not, 'cause they did nothing wrong), and she will be making a living from he ...more
Joan
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.A. Jance offers a tidy murder mystery in Edge of Evil. It is contemporary in the sense that the employer is letting a woman go in a high profile job due to age. However, her talents as a journalist will come in handy later but will set her up to be stalked and becomed a potential murder victim.

Her son is very supportive and is there for her. Her life has gone through numerous quick changes with a job loss, a divorce, and the death of her friend as well as trying to save her own life in the end
Nancy Ellis
I've read a few of her Joanna Brady books but none of her other series. This is the first of her Ali Reynolds books, and it was just as enjoyable as the Sheriff Brady series, if not more so. Ali is a likable character, and even though the plot itself approaches the limits of belief, it's still a very enjoyable quick read.
Amanda McGill
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
More 2.5 stars.

Edge of Evil was a super quick, easy read. The main character, Alison, was relatable, but not always likeable. Some of her thoughts and blog posts I had to shake my head at.

The mystery was ok, but nothing too exciting or thrilling.

I liked the novel enough to want to continue on with this series.
Shane Fritz
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author was a favorite of my stepdad's, as his JP Beaumont character was in Seattle. I like this new character, and will definitely read more of her exploits. As I listened to the well-read audiobook, I enjoyed it very much.
Deb Carlson
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ali Reynolds, news reporter. TV newscaster. A character that comes off the page into your imagination as a real woman. She is someone most of us can identify with or admire. I admire and enjoyed this first novel about her. Kept me glued to the story or thinking about it whe unable to read. I don't want to give anything away. Too important that this be enjoyed by others.
Elizabeth
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone especially young women
Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
by J.A. Jance
from the library
text and unabridged audio edition of 7 cd's
three stars for the plot and four stars for the female protagonist
Allison, known as Ali, is somebody's wife ,but not for long, Mother, daughter, best friend and journalist. She seems like a normal person. She has ethics, drive, compassion, loyalty. She's not afraid to get her hands dirty or work hard. She could be my best friend any day.
Tiffeny
This is the 2nd book I've read by this author and I’m sure I'll read more. They're entertaining enough and very clean.

As usual though, there are bunch of things that totally bug me. The book is basically a multitude of small contradictions, inconsistencies, and just bone-headed moves. It makes me wonder if the author is simple or if she thinks her readers are. A few that bugged me the most are: (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT)

--Ali's friend goes off a cliff in her car; since this is a murder mystery, we
Catrinka
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read two other J.A. Jance novels and they were each the first book in two of her other series, J.P. Beaumont and Joanna Brady. They were just so-so in my opinion. This first book in Jance's Ali Reynolds series is much better, I think. Enough so, that I'll probably try more in this particular series.
Maxine
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Considering how popular JA Jance books are, it pains me to say that I just can't get into them. Largely due to what seems to be a variety of unlikeable female lead characters surrounded by great secondary characters who are always shortchanged. The lead in this book definitely falls into that category. I liked the conceit of Ali being a washed out newscaster because ageism and sexism is a serious issue in the TV industry. Also liked that she returned home to lick her wounds and was trying to inv ...more
Julianne
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Book #1 of the Alison Reynolds mystery series. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE J. A. Jance! This one begins with a female 40-something news anchor being fired because she is no longer a female 20-something news anchor. Well, that's insulting! And probably illegal. Enter the first of four attorneys that hover throughout this book to handle Ali's problems -- wrongful termination, possible divorce, maybe some hidden secrets in her friend's life, etc. Her son suggests that with her journalism background, ...more
Karen
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I love J A Jance books. This is a good start to a new series.
"With a divorce from her cheating husband of ten years pending and her high-profile broadcasting career abruptly ended by TV executives who wanted a "younger face," Alison Reynolds feels there's nothing keeping her in LA any longer. Summoned back home to Sedona, Arizona, by the death of a childhood friend, she seeks solace in the comforting rhythms of her parents' diner, the Sugarloaf Café, and launches an on-line blog as therapy for
Skippypeanuts
Overall the story was interesting enough. This is the first time I've read anything by this author and I might pick up another book of hers down the line. I'm not sure if it'll be from this series though.

I listened to this book and for the mot part the reader was pretty good. However, she did something I absolutely hate. She did the thing where she drops her voice dramatically to a whisper to make a point in some parts. That drives me nuts, because I can't hear some pitches very well and when re
Jenn
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I had a really hard time putting this book down, yet I can't seem to rate it a five star. Maybe the language was too simple, the story a little far-fetched. But I still enjoyed it and would delightfully look for others in the series. Ali seems a little too....fake, maybe. Blond and beautiful she gets sacked from her news job on TV (which you never do find out if she does sue the TV station) and turns to blogging about it which is suggested to her by her son. Her best friend dies ...more
Nicci
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what it was exactly about this book that hooked me, but I was hooked. I really liked the relationship that the main character Ali has with her son, as a mother of two boys I can hope that fiction will translate to real life with my son's and I.

I also really liked that the main character took her lumps but didn't take them lying down, she fought back. I enjoy a strong female lead. Also, there is no romance in this book which is new for me.

Overall a great read ready for the second bo
C-shaw
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was pure luck that the first Jance book I picked up is the first Ali Reynolds novel. It's good from the very start!
* * * * *
I really, really enjoyed reading this. At times it was so exciting that I turned pages before I finished them, had to keep turning back to read the last sentence, but couldn't wait to see what happened next. It's just a good read, would make a great beach or vacation book. Many thanks to my Goodreads friend Bonnie for recommending J.A. Jance to me.
Marianne
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like! I like! First met Ali in a Joanna Brady story ... now I'll get to know her better ... as always with a Jance novel, the characters are well developed, the dialogue is flowing and the story is believable. Already downloaded book 2 ...
Afsana
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and it did keep you thinkinng.

I have tried j a jance books before last one I didn't like can not remember name but this one I did.

I have another of hers so hoping that is another good one
Susan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like it. Did not finish it. Won't read the next one.
Elaine
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed
Susan Wallace
It was OK, I wasn't expecting much, it's my 1st Jance, if I ever get caught up on my books, I'd listen to the next.
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • Innkeeping with Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #1)
  • Death is a Cabaret (Antique Lover, #1)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • The Cavalier in White (Joanna Stark, #1)
  • Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon, #13)
  • The Drowning Man (Wind River Reservation, #12)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • When the Devil Doesn't Show (Gil Montoya Mystery #3)
  • Skeleton Man (Leaphorn  & Chee, #17)
  • Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon, #3)
  • Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4)
  • Black for Remembrance
  • Catherine Coulter the FBI Thrillers Collection Books 6-10
  • Short Straw
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)
  • Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
  • Clawback (Ali Reynolds, #11)
“A pair of headlights inched down Schnebly Hill Road, down from the Mogollon Rim toward red rock–rimmed Sedona, eleven treacherous miles below.” 0 likes
“esides,” 0 likes