Start by marking “Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better” as Want to Read:
Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better

Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better

A new edition, packed with even more clever tricks and methods that make everyday life easier Lifehackers redefine personal productivity with creative and clever methods for making life easier and more enjoyable. This new edition of a perennial bestseller boasts new and exciting tips, tricks, and methods that strike a perfect balance between current technology and common s ...more
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 476 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Wiley Publishing (first published June 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lifehacker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifehacker

Start your review of Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
Bryan
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
There are some good tips in here and some of them inspired me to get organized to a degree that I've not been in some time. There are also many cool web apps covered (though I imagine this will mean that the book will not age particularly well). As someone who works in IT and reads Lifehacker regularly, a lot of the contents were familiar territory so I ended up skipping a lot, but I think someone who's less technical might benefit quite a bit from this book.

My main objection is that a lot of th
Tori Miller
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I was only interested in a few of these personally. I couldn't view the table of contents on the Kindle in a way that I could see enough of it to see which of the tips I might want to read. It was very time consuming to page through all the other tips to see which ones I was interested in. I wish the table of contents had a better view.
Daphne
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is full of tips to improve your life. If you read Lifehacker (the blog) on a regular basis, you might expect a lot of variety. However, most of the book is dedicated specifically to "tech tips". I felt disappointed by that. I guess I think of "life hacking" as a larger endeavor than just "use your computer more efficiently". But is that the book's fault, or mine? It's a book worth looking at.
Heart1lly
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy having this book on my nightstand as a reference for whenever something goes a little awry in my techno life. REALLY helped when my father's internet browser got hijacked (again). I enjoy not having to help him every single time he messes something up (at least five times a day) so I make him check this book first to see if the answer might be in there. Gooooood stuff.
Jellie Dawn
Love the website. The book? Not so much. It's focused more on tech tips and I thought I could glean additional information, but I guess I know more about technology than I think I do.
The Idle Woman
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
By far the most useful of several productivity books I've purchased recently. I don't buy these books to join the author on their 'journey' or to hear about how they set up a multi-million-dollar business at university. I need practical, straightforward, clever advice aimed at an educated layman with a standard set of tools, and that's exactly what this volume offers. Divided up into eleven chapters, it focuses on computer shortcuts, software, tricks and hacks that can help you keep your inbox c ...more
David Rosen
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You'll Save at Least an Hour a Day. Totally worth $20

Lifehacker's one of those sites that you wish you'd been reading daily for the past three years, but didn't have time to. At odd moments, I've thought about going through all its articles in one day and creating a grand reading list. Then I saw the editors had done just that in this $20 opus. I walked away with 50+ tricks, techniques and tools that'll save me at least an hour a day. You're sure to find at least that number regardless of what p
Mimi (Marissa) Catania Bishop
Clear and concise -- even though this was a bit more techy for what I wanted it for (productivity tips) I still got a few things out of it. I read the third edition -- so I think much was outdated.
Rocky Sunico
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun reference book for its time, but hasn't aged well given the steady march of technology.
Eric Wallace
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants to be more efficient, but doesn't often take the time to learn it
One would think I am the perfect target market for this book: I am an efficiency addict, so much so that my wife calls me "Captain Efficiency". I am constantly updating my systems in search of the elusive goal of ever-increasing productivity. And of course I follow the Lifehacker.com blog (in my RSS reader, natch) to learn about the latest tools and tricks.

Alas, the Lifehacker Guide mostly served as an opportunity for me to hone my speed-reading and skimming skills... because I already do so man
Stan Skrabut
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: productivity
I picked up a copy of Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better* written by Adam Pash and Gina Trapani. I am not sure I would have picked up the book if I was not already familiar with the Lifehacker Website. I also regularly listen to Gina Trapani on TWIG and All About Android. The book I picked up is a gem. I have already implemented a number of ideas and plan to implement a number of others in the coming days. Read more ...more
Phil
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a good one. The book is laid out by topic, so it was easy to skip over the stuff that I didn't have any interest in. Since the book casts a pretty wide net, there was quite a bit that I either already knew, or didn't care about. However, there was a lot of stuff that was crazy useful; I was able to find several things to improve efficiency in my work and personal life. I'm a big fan of anything that helps me free up time, which is essentially what this book is all about. It's worth look ...more
Eric
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: productivity
Very useful tips and tricks. I thought some sections were unnecessarily long, especially those that included details on how to carry out installation steps (which may be self-explanatory when you're actually installing the software) like "After you click Next, you will be led to.. blah blah." Some tricks like the Seinfeld chain website were also not that useful but rather seemed to be only for fun or coolness. I totally support the Seinfeld method but the website sucked big time... I would rathe ...more
David Lindelof
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
As a long-term subscriber to the Lifehacker blog and newsletter, I can't really say that a I learned a lot from this book. Most of the tips I had already heard about. There were a few gems though which were probably worth the tiny price I paid for the book (about USD 10$ directly from the publisher for the electronic version).

If you've never visited Lifehacker before this book will certainly be useful. Though you might be irritated at the tell-tale blog post format.
Jessica
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I picked up a few new tips, but much of it was at least familiar. There were some tips that I'd never do, but maybe a more IT savvy person would enjoy those. The book is from 2011, but already there were some dated tools. That's the thing with reading computer/web focused texts. They're out of date within a year.

Still, it's an easy read if someone just wants to skim it for a few hours. You'll surely pick up some new tips.
Nick
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're reasonably technological, you'll have already made use of most of these tricks. But there's always another one and a new way to save time, work more efficiently, and make technology your servant. For me, the tips on passwords alone was worth the price of the e-book. If you're a regular reader of Lifehacker on line, you won't need this compendium, but for everyone else, this book will offer you enough tasty morsels to make the meal worthwhile.
Nick
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Many great ideas to use technology to become more organized. I quickly scanned through those that appealed to me and ignored many others. A few years old and I believe recently updated. I found this book on a library site, so was able to read without purchasing, which is good as many of the hacks are now outdated or old hat.
Dhuaine
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech, manuals
Obsolete if you visit the Lifehacker website more or less regularly.

Very helpful tips, but unfortunately rather "beginner-level" and many of them are common sense. The introductory parts were quite lengthy too.
Mark
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
If you avoid paying for software whenever possible, are always in the presence of a very fast Internet connection, don't mind the loss of all sorts of useful features that native apps provide, find ugly user interfaces enjoyable, and think Google is your friend, there's a lot in this book for you.
Conny
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some useful tips from organising your email and getting things done to setting up your own home media server. Explanations are for Mac and Windows, very nice.

But also some tips of how to organise your papers and organize your 'real' desktop, which I didn't need
Evie Burke
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
More of a reference type book - good information if you're looking for shortcuts, but not a lot of in depth tips. Just tips for how to do things faster. Version I had was 2011, but a lot of tips where for online programs - which may quickly go out of date
Thomas Moore
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful advice. Hopefully I can make myself use some of it.
sara frances
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
luckily my life isn't crazy or complicated enough for many of these tips to be useful for me. but the applicable ones i did find were totally worth skimming through this book. swype! <3 ...more
Lewis Cawthorne
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lot's of useful tips. Definitely worth skimming through. Especially if you are like me and don't have the free time to keep up with stuff as it is posted to the site.
Daniel Low
Quite an interesting read with all the life hacks mentioned.
Joey Comeau
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the chapters on organizing your data.
Ryan Seamons
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: productivity
Great overview of tools for the knowledge economy worker. Things like inbox management, keyboard shortcuts, and other tech tools are critical to know and this book gives a great overview.
David Meyers
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Filled with some pretty good tips at making your life more efficient using different bits of technology.
Johnathon
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Full of many great ideas and time savers.
Vic Dinovici
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
handy for computers' users.

• Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Really Interesting Stuff You Don't Need to Know Volume 2: 1,200 Fascinating Facts
  • Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
  • How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day
  • The Story of San Michele
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Trading Evolved: Anyone can Build Killer Trading Strategies in Python
  • Beyond the Twelve-Factor App Exploring the DNA of Highly Scalable, Resilient Cloud Applications
  • xkcd: volume 0
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership
  • Principles of Marketing
  • Running QuickBooks in Nonprofits: The Only Comprehensive Guide for Nonprofits Using QuickBooks
  • "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever!
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
  • Finding a Job Fast Using a 30 / 60 / 90 Day Plan

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...