Start by marking “Acorna (Acorna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Acorna (Acorna, #1)

Acorna (Acorna #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  8,725 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
"Something's Alive In There!"She was just a little girl, with a tiny horn in the center of her forehead, funny-looking feet, beautiful silver hair, and several curious powers: the ability to purify air and water, make plants grow, and heal scars and broken bones. A trio of grizzled prospectors found her drifting in an escape pod amid the asteroids, adopted her, and took he ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 1997)

Rebecca McNutt
Magical and dazzling, this peculiar fantasy novel about a girl who is part unicorn is one of the most interesting books I've read so far this year. Although at times I thought it was veering off the path of imaginative and becoming more typical, I still really enjoyed it.
R.
Jul 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of a big cleaning out of the many books I've purchased since my teen years, but never actually read. I expected it to be an earnest story about a unicorn girl (named Acorna nonetheless) and as such possibly humorously bad. One mark in its favor is that there was a very definite wry tone to the narrative, so most silliness seems intentional. But that's pretty much the only mark in its favor.

Sadly, this book is just...bad. It's badly written and badly structured, with constant
Jerry
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis
When their demise is imminent, a mother and father jettison their newborn daughter from their spaceship to save her life.  When she is found by three guys in a mining ship, they name her Acorna, but know nothing about the alien race from which she hails.  Acorna develops both physically and mentally faster than expected, and shows both intelligence and healing powers.  When a threat is made on her life, it's up to Acorna and her three caretakers to keep her from harm.
The first in a lon
Megan
Sep 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Okay, this is going to be of a review for the entire series of Acorna books because, well, there are alot of them and I would get carpal tunnel if I wrote an individual review of each book.

Basically this is the story of 2 asteroid miners who come across a strange space pod that has a little girl that resembles a unicorn inside of it. As she is only a baby and there is no one to care for her, they quickly adopt her. This creates all sorts of problems as she is highly sought after as proof of alie
Lady♥Belleza★✰
Recently I watched a review for “The Last Unicorn”, it was based on a book, however when I went looking for the book I couldn’t find it. I found this book however. Having read all of the “Dragonriders of Pern” series by Anne McCaffrey I decided to give this series a try.

This was an enjoyable book. It seemed to lack somewhat in characterization and plot. My memories of Dragonriders are a little fuzzy as it was several years ago I read them, but it seems they were much better written. These books
Elisabeth
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in my school library when I started grade 9, and I thought it sounded like the absolute most ridiculous book in the history of the world! I spent the next three years making fun of it, and my friends and I even had a sort of inside joke about it. I mean, come on! This is a story about an orphaned girl who has a unicorn horn sticking out of her forehead! Puh-lease! In grade 11, I finally read it, sort of as a joke, and it turned out to actually be pretty good, when it comes to s ...more
Iset
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

This is a re-read of a series I first picked up in my early teens and have re-read a couple of times since. Acorna is the first book in that series. I would describe the series as a sci-fi/fantasy mash-up; it has space travel, futuristic technology, and aliens, but it also has a unicorn girl with magical healing powers who is hailed as various goddesses incarnate and saves enslaved children from evil slavers. Is it any good? Well, let’s just say I enjoyed bits of it more than other parts.

The fir
Dianne
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had heard of the late author Anne McCaffrey but had never felt curious enough to read her young adult series. Then I came upon Acorna, decided, what the heck, and picked it up. I am so very glad I did.

This book grabbed me and sucked me in right from the get-go. The characters are ‘real’ if you know what I mean…well as real as a girl with a silver horn (unicorn) can be!
This story, at least the first half-reminds me very much of another of my favorite authors Anne Bishop and the book “Written in
Chelsie
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I am not usually one for sci-fi books, but there is the occational novel that breaks that barrer and this is one of them! A suprisingly futuristic take on fantasy elements, this series is a fantastic read.

Three astroid miners find an escape pod from an unknown alien race in which they find a curiously built infant girl. With no other option available, they take to raising the child and come to care for her. But the story builds as Acorna seeks to find her way the world and battle the corrupt sla
Joann Buchanan
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this story to be fresh and creative. While the mystery of Acorna the unicorn girl was the center of the book. I found the other characters to be funny, protective and cool. I could see each of them as if they were living and breathing in front of me on a screen. Her details were also extremely imaginative without giving so much that I was unable to picture things myself. This is the book that made me an Anna McCaffrey Fan. :D
Stephanie
Ooh, I thought. Unicorns. Anne McCaffrey is supposed to be good, right? Played straight, this could be enchanting, or if it's tongue-in-cheek, all the better! But... alas, I was too old to swallow this one. I should have listened to the cover's warning. My favorite thing about it was deconstructing its flaws.
Trixie
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I borrowed this from the library because the premise, frankly, is hilarious. It's a UNICORN PERSON. AN ALIEN UNICORN PERSON. SHE CAN PURIFY PLANTS AND WATER AND HEAL THINGS AND SHE HAS HOOVES FOR FEET OH MY GOD.

It's like ridiculous sci-fi candy.
Charles
No. Don't bother. Really. 400 pages. Hours of your life wasted. Let me take the hit.

Full harsh review
Maria Dar
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, just... no.

I always wanted to read this book as I read a few of Anne McCaffrey's books when I was younger. I enjoyed them, as they had dragons and I absolutely love dragons.

But this...

Despite it having a Unicorn Girl, the thing that really ticked me off was the religion aspect.

Anne McCaffrey skewered up Islam in her novel, presumingly 'updating' the already existing religion with her own preferences, etc.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was the seal of the Prophets. The Quran is perf
Raquel
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strong-female
I first read this in high school or college and kept it on my shelves knowing it's want to read it again someday. I'm glad I did. It's beautifully written and features such charming characters. The miners are endearing and Acorna is a dream come true. I mean, she's a unicorn AND a beautiful genius girl who could give Mother Theresa some sainthood competition.
Kimberly Karalius
So glad I decided to start reading this series in order this time!
Chimeradragon
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book. a few jump cuts to age Acorna up, but in a good way. enjoyable and highly recommended. good narrative with twists and turns and still some worry for our hero despite her "invunerabilities"
Michael
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, full of humor and excitement. As of July 2017 I've read this book three or four times, and I will definitely read it again in the future.
Amanda Owens
I feel like it had a lot of potential but any conflict the characters faced was too easily solved.
Ariela
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Going to be honest, I have not finished this book. I may come back to it because it was recommended to me as some great unique sci-fi but it is just dragging
Tryniti Thresher
One of my all-time favorite fantasies, Acorna is funny, sad, adventurous, and just lovely. I found the writing style made it easy to chew through this book again and again. I love the characters and the little family of a rag tag space mining crew of simultaneously intelligent yet clueless older men (I always kind of pictured the fellows from ZZ Top) mixed with the magical, delicate, yet bold little flower that is Acorna. It's just damn good.
Jocilyn
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was in some ways impressed and tickled by Acorna, and in other ways unimpressed and chagrined. Being an avid reader of Anne McCaffrey since I was in junior high school, there are many traits that I’ve come to enjoy in her writing: tying mythical beasts and the paranormal to modern and future settings, abused and neglected children’s retribution against a world that would not have them (a facet of literature that I later came to hate with the mediocrity of Harry Potter), and her talent to devel ...more
Grace Troxel
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

I’ve loved Anne McCaffrey ever since I first discovered her Crystal Singer trilogy when I was in high school. I’ve long admired McCaffrey’s ability to bring to life strong and competent heroines who are independent and a little bit Type A. Acorna is no exception.

The novel begins when an alien couple’s ship is attacked. They realize they are doomed, and because they know that they would
Michael Nalbone
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Enjoyable Distraction Reading
Kate (BloggingwithDragons)
I first grew interested in Anne McCaffrey's and Margaret Ball’s Acorna when I was a young girl. I was captured by the cover of a pretty silver haired girl with a horn and hooves. But this book unfortunately proved the saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” right. My attempt to read the book failed and I ended up getting rid of it. Fast forward to present day and I decided to give the book another chance. I was hopeful after reading and enjoying McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern that maybe I wa ...more
Rachel Lein
This book was FUN! I actually ended up reading this out of proper order. I read the second book in the series before the first, but it doesn't make a lot of difference, and I like that a lot. Not having to worry about strictly sticking to chronology is excellent! I read the other book many years ago, and I fear I don't recall enough of it to please me, so I may well re-read the second book after this one. I do recall having liked the second book, too, but maybe not as much as this one? We'll see ...more
Carina
When I was at school I recall reading a book starring a human unicorn - I don't think it was this book in the series but I got this on the Kindle a few years ago because of that vague memory. I enjoyed this book the first time and have found myself wanting to re-read it so thought this as good a time as any.

Although I still enjoyed the book I do feel that it is somewhat unbalanced. So much of the books is given to Acorna's 'youth' that when you get to the main crux of the book when Acorna is a y
Mira
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot is all over the place and some sparkling ideas are lost in confusing episodes and changes in tone and pace. My favorite parts were the description and moments involving the unicorn protagonist, least favorite the billion and one characters.
Brian Schiebout
Acorna: The Unicorn Girl by Anne McCaffrey and Margaret Ball is the first book set in the Acorna Universe. The book begins when the spaceship which carries Acorna is destroyed by a group of aliens whom we never meet again and she is set afloat into the universe at large. She is rescued by a group of human asteroid miners, the very fact of who's existence tells you that this story is set in a science fiction universe where mankind has spread out and learned how to exploit space efficiently. The t ...more
Adrian Rose
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a science fiction story that takes place at an unknown time in the future, when space travel is as normal as air travel is in our time. The heroine of the story, Acorna, is a female alien discovered and raised by three asteroid miners. They end up on a planet that depends on an illegal child slave system for its economic prosperity, and Acorna enlists the aid of some unlikely friends to rescue the suffering and abused children.
While previous reviews have said that this is mainly written
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • Blade Dancer
  • Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Virtual Mode (Mode, #1)
  • The Aetherfae  (Weald Fae Journals #3)
  • The People of Pern
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Cataract (Cat Scratch, #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Acorna (10 books)
  • Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)
  • Acorna's People (Acorna #3)
  • Acorna's World (Acorna #4)
  • Acorna's Search (Acorna #5)
  • Acorna's Rebels (Acorna #6)
  • Acorna's Triumph (Acorna #7)
  • First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)
  • Second Wave: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #9)
  • Third Watch: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #10)

“A real scientist solves problems, not wails that they are unsolvable.” 62 likes
“Old family motto: "The best revenge is revenge.” 15 likes