Start by marking “The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up: Based on the Books by C. S. Lewis” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up: Based on the Books by C. S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up: Based on the Books by C. S. Lewis

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  1,183 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
C. S. Lewis's classic fantasy series, The Chronicles of Narnia, springs to life for a younger reader in three dimensional pop-up scenes, created by award-winning paper engineer Robert Sabuda.

Each of the seven books—The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The La
Published November 27th 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up

Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
As a Christian I feel a bit guilty that I didn't cherish C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia series. I am simply not a fan of the fantasy genre. (Plus, the analogy flew right over my head. When I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I had absolutely no idea what it symbolized.) That being said, this is a much more enjoyable version and a great introduction to the series for the younger set (although children and adults of all ages like pop-ups.)
Kyler Lopez
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of the best pop-up books I have ever see . Everything was so detailed and the pages were so big that I felt like a wide eyed kid watching the movies again for the first time. This of course doesnt have the details that the novels have as far as the story goes but it would be a good way to get students interested in reading the books.
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
So stinking cute!!!
Bernice
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This short introduction to the Chronicles of Naria comes to life in this beautiful pop-up book. Each page gives a short description of one of the adventures to Naria and is complimented by the vibrant colors and realistic pictures of what happens. We learn of the history written over 2000 years in how Naria began and how it will fourish in the years to come.

A true modern and high fantasy, this story is filled with personified animals, outlandish characters and situations, as well as magical powe
David Crumm
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My fuller review of this book -- which includes a video review/demonstration of this very unusual pop-up book -- appears online at our Web hub: ReadTheSpirit.

The Narnia story with the video review is headlined Must Religious Leaders Be Human? Caspian's Friends Pop Up from Narnia!

Take a look. I'm a lifelong fan of Narnia and really all of the Inklings (Lewis and his writer friends, even the rarely read Charles Williams). And, I'm a lifelong fan of pop-up books ever since an aunt returned form li
Josie
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Robert Sabuda's work. This book is different from his others in that it is just a pop up plate for each book in the series with a summary, instead of containing the full text of the books (I covet his version of Alice in Wonderland & that one has the whole story). I was a little disappointed by that-my husband bought it for me as a gift thinking it was a full 'Alice' style version of The Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe. However, each of the foldouts in this book is large & intri ...more
Robin
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who are fascinated with paper technology
Shelves: pop-up-books
Well, on Thursday there was a snowstorm and I sat on my computer that evening and looked around on Amazon and was very tempted to purchase this book for myself. But I thought better of spending money on myself this close to Christmas and I did click "Buy."

The next day I visited a librarian friend who does a lot of reviewing and lecturing but no longer works in a library. She is kind enough to give me her leftover books for my library. Lo and behold, one of the boxes held this book! I was sooo e
Christen Tulli
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edsl520
Category: Engineered Book

Publication date: 2007

Annotation is posted above via GoodReads

Themes/Topics: Imaginary world, bravery, adventure

Ways to Use Book:
* This would be a terrific prelude to interest students in reading The Chronicles of Narnia. There is a paragraph summary on each page along with a gorgeous pop-up picture that summarizes each of the seven books (and several smaller scenes that are represented as well). Librarians could read the paragraph summaries and ask students how the pop-
Johnathan
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious-books
I loved this book! I picked it up not expecting anything and I was overwhelmed by how amazing the art in this. The pop up element really enhanced the world of Narnia for me, the pop ups were so big that I felt like I was in Narnia. I was not expecting the first page where Alsan in practically leaping off of the page, I nearly dropped the book because it surprised me so much.

I loved it so much I would recommended it to everyone.

I don't know how I would use this in a classroom. The best I can thi
Malea Potter
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
Robert Sabuda makes such beautiful pop-up books! They are beautifully detailed and intricately designed. Children would be awed by these books, but you would probably want to supervise young children when they are looking at it so that they don't ruin the book. But, this book (and all of Subuda's other books) would be fascinating for kids to look at. I read this book with a religious view in mind and it was pretty insightful. C.S. Lewis has some amazing Christian insights, and has created them i ...more
Haily Kokinakis
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
I haven't read all the the Chronicles of Narnia books but this little pop up book made me want to! I loved the artwork and the pop ups were amazing! I wouldn't use this in my class unless I was the only one holding it because I would be worried the pop ups would get ruined. It does a really good job of giving little things about the stories in one paragraph without giving a lot away. I liked this book a lot and I wouldn't mind having one for myself!
Tim Vandenberg
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this pop-up book! Just. Gorgeous!!! The actual Cloth Sail on the Dawn Treader and the Glittering Snowscape send this over the top!

SUPER recommended for fans of the Narnia Series, and a super awesome introduction to Narnia for those who plan to enter.

Not recommended for readers who never have and never plan to read the series....but this scrumptious pop-up might help them change their mind! :)
Julianna
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
Cute book, lovely pop-ups and all, but not really age appropriate. Each page summarizes one of the books in the Chronicles of Narnia books, which are for a little older age group. Kids who would love the pop-ups would not understand or appreciate what the pop-ups mean, and the older kids, who have actually read the Narnia books, aren't as attached to pop-ups. Its not really for kids, and will only be appreciated by those who already know that the Chronicles of Narnia are about.
Douglas Summers-Stay
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-up
I like that Sabuda is still innovating. The way the characters pour out of the last page is great. Aslan is technically amazing, but he looks cross eyed and falling asleep. I really liked how the wardrobe opens when a small side pop-up is opened. I think Prince Caspian looks like he's got some degenerative neurological disorder. The gold leaf on the dragon's figurehead really makes the Dawn Treader.
Kathy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Robert Sabuda's pop-up books. I'm always impressed by the intricacy and design of his books There is a page for each title in the series. I had the good fortune to see an exhibit on his works at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts a couple of years ago. It showed how these books are put together and the thought process that goes into each title.
Nomski
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nomski by: my dad
just re-read this after about 20 years and loved it all over again. i read them all in a span of 2 weeks or so, and enjoyed the ease and quickness in which i could gobble them up. it wasn't quite so quick back in the day. i definitely saw more christian overtones than i did when i was young, because that just wasn't in my mind at all then. still, fantastic and fun.
Ariel
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
Since these books are my favorite books of all time, this review and rating may be bias. With that said I thought this was a book picture book to introduce the story to younger children. The pop up art was beautiful. It basically summed up every Narnia book in this pop up book. So it is perfect for little children. Once they get older then may like to read the actual books.
Lindy
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely beautiful pop-up book to go along with the Chronicles of Narnia series. Each page summarizes one of the Narnia stories. The summaries are ok, but the art work is amazing! My kids love to pull this one down and are completely captivated by all of the intricate details os Sabuda's art.
Joy Gerbode
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun for kids pop-up book, for a page from each book of the Narnia Chronicles series. The pop-ups are definitely NOT for young children. They are extremely detailed and intricate. Several pages also have a lift-the-flap, which additionally pops up more fun scenes. Super addition to a collection.
Lierin Patterson
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I absolutely loved the pop up pictures in this book! In each section there is a summary of the actual book, explaining what each book is about. But the pictures are magnificent and are great for imagination. I think it would be fun to show children this book to get them interested in the actual book that C.S. Lewis wrote.
CD
Jul 30, 2011 added it
Read this as an adult: HATED IT. HATE the movie as well. Santa giving weapons to children? It was all a dream sequence? OMG I can't tell you how much I detest and abhor this book and the series. I really don't understand the hype.
Perri Irwin
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is magnificent! It is so fun to read! The pop ups help the reader picture the story. You feel like you are in the story. The art on the pop ups are great too! The colors are bright. The pop ups alone can tell the story.
Heidi Larew
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully designed for those who love to hold a book in their hands. The text is simple to understand and gives an overview of all the books. My favorite page is the glittery winter scene from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
Breanna
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book was a fun over view of the Narnia books, however, the emphasis was on the pop ups and not the stories. this book doesn't really tell much of any story but it would be good for teaching about book summaries.
Olivia Kirkham
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march
Loved the pop ups in the book! They are amazing and worth the time looking at each page slowly and thoroughly. Fans of The Chronicles of Narnia would love having this book at a part of their collection. Children would love this book too.
Indyrm03
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun way to understand and learn about The Chronicles of Narnia and the characters who bring Narnia to life. Although it is made for children, adults too will enjoy the visual suprises this book offers.
Juliet
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 02-fantasy
Very beautiful pop ups in this book. The story itself is not quite as good since each paragraph is supposed to explain each book. Which is a lot to have to have in a little paragraph. But it's still really pretty and fun to look at.
Elsa Dean
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This book was stunning. I was captivated by all of the beautiful pop ups and it was very entertaining. I imagined reading it to a class of students and I easily imagined them all entranced with the book as well.
Holleah
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
I love, love, love this pop up book! One, because of the awesome pop up picture which were very amazing! And two, because of the story itself. It tells of all the Chronicles of Narnia summing them up and telling what the are pretty much about. I can not wait to own this book!
Mary Meldrum
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
The art work in this book is absolutely beautiful. Really no story line but a great introduction to the Narnia books.
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Gods and Heroes Pop-Up
  • The Magical Worlds of Narnia
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Sheet Music: The Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Silver Chair and The Last Battle
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
  • Mommy?
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • One Giant Leap
  • My Big Animal Book
  • Amazing Cows: Udder Absurdity for Children
  • 600 Black Spots
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
  • The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares
  • The Rose Fairy Book
  • Ain't Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
Robert Sabuda is internationally acclaimed for his stunning pop-up books, including America the Beautiful and The 12 Days of Christmas. He is also the illustrator of Chanukah Lights by Michael J. Rosen. Robert Sabuda lives in New York City.
More about Robert Sabuda...