Start by marking “Never Knowing” as Want to Read:
Never Knowing

Never Knowing

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  22,251 ratings  ·  2,777 reviews
At thirty-three Sara Gallagher is finally happy. Her antique furniture restoration business is taking off and she’s engaged to a wonderful man. But there’s one big question that still haunts her — who are her birth parents? Sara is finally ready to find out.

Sara’s birth mother rejects her—again. Then she discovers her biological father is an infamous killer who’s been hun
Published July 5th 2011 by St Martins Press (first published 2011)

·  22,251 ratings  ·  2,777 reviews

Start your review of Never Knowing
Norma
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was another excellent psychological thriller by CHEVY STEVENS that was extremely hard to put down and also grabbed my attention from the very first session (chapter).

THE COVER didn't come into play on this one as this book was chosen to be read solely on who the author was although I do find the cover somewhat appealing.

NEVER KNOWING is a fitting TITLE for this novel. Is it better to know or not to know the truth?

NEVER KNOWING has us following along Sara Gallagher's search for her birth
Trish
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
2.5 stars/Fiction; Suspense

First-read win from GR! Thank you!

I know that I am going to be in the minority here, but I did not care for this book.

What can I say? It never takes me longer than a few days to finish a book and after reading Still Missing in one day, I was sooo anxious for Chevy Stevens' new book. But this one? It took me over a week to read and that is only because I forced myself to finish out of gratitude for the first-read win.

None of the characters are likeable and the plot unbe
Lisa
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chevy stevens is fast becoming one of my favourite authors in this genre she brings substance & a solid plot that gets you right into the book.

All her life Sara Gallagher has wondered about her birth parents being an adopted child with two sisters Lauren & Melanie who were born naturally to her parents, Sara did not have a normal ideal home life.

She has always wondered about her real mother now she is engaged to Evan & has a 6 year old daughter Ally she wants to find out who she really is.

Sara d
Erin
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Contemporary A Thon: Read a book with plants on the cover

Never Knowing is my second Chevy Stevens novels. Last year I read Still Missing which I liked a lot so when I saw Never Knowing at Half Priced Books in the clearance section I was YES!

Never Knowing is about Sara Gallagher who has always known she was adopted. Despite having a loving (if troubled) family has always felt the desire to know her birth parents.

I guess no one ever told those old sayings "Be careful what you wish for" and " If y
M
Mar 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is the first time in a while that I wish I could give negative stars. Because I had enjoyed the previous book? Because of the staggeringly high rating? Because it is just so God awful?
Stevens has, with this lousy waste of paper, capitalized on The Laziest Ways to Write a Novel. They are:

1. Use a contrived, unrealistic, and wholly ridiculous tactic, such as Sessions with (an Oddly Silent) Therapist.

I think she did this last time, and it annoyed me then too, but I was forgiving of it, I
Kristi
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Chevy Stevens doesn't mess around. Like a racehorse out of the gate, her books take off like mad wildfire, simmering and sizzling along the way. And, faithfully, NEVER KNOWING never lets up until its knock-over, finish-line ending. Intense, yet simple, uncomplicated, perfectly enthralling.

Like her previous best-selling psychotic thriller, STILL MISSING, her new story, NEVER KNOWING, is a book of therapy sessions, this time gracing us with the voice of passionate, and a tad neurotic, 33-year-old
Dita
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I tried, I really tried. I made it 2/3 of the way because Still Missing was so good. But this one? The problem is that I so aggressively and adamantly dislike most of the characters. Sara is impulsive and whiny, even her daughter is...dare I say it? Bratty and indulged.

I am sure there is a twist...I just don't care what it is.
Robert
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this novel was good—some may even call it great—I couldn’t help but feel like this was a repeat performance of Still Missing. Had I not just read Ms. Stevens’s debut novel a couple months prior, I might have developed an entirely different opinion on the matter. The first time out the unique structure captured my attention and had me flipping pages faster than a sugar addict working his way through a dozen doughnuts, but this time the polish had worn off, and while I still devoured NEVER K ...more
Sara
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
This book gave me a migraine equal to the ones the two main characters suffer from. I was not particularly taken with the "Lifetime" movie plot of Stevens' previous novel "Still Missing" and honestly picked this up without realizing it was the same author. Her characters are heavy handed and extremely black and white and once again Stevens feels the need for a truly unnecessary twist ending that has no real bearing on the rest of the story. A novel that actually concentrated on the relationship ...more
Ann
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club, fiction
After a few incidents of the word "rape," I read ahead--and no. Just no.

...and after a three-day break from women-and-murder books, I'm ready to try again.

...and now I am two chapters in and I'm pretty sure the protagonist is the villain of the story. I mean, she's completely self-centered and emotionally manipulative--has more than a few megalomaniac tendencies--indulges in behavior that makes her a stalker and bully. Surely the reader isn't meant to sympathize with her??

Also Stevens' writing s
Frank Phillips
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
DNF...I MAY go back and finish this because it wasn't horrible, just REALLY long! I felt like it was the same same chapter after chapter and never-ending, dragging on until the final reveal, which I really want to know what it is, I just don't want to waste anymore more with the stuff in between, if that makes sense?! Someday when I run low on reading material I will make myself finish the last 150 pages. Still a Chevy fan though, don't get me wrong!
Vannessa Anderson
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Maria Pomeroy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book!!!!
This is my second book by Chevy Stevens and, I feel, it is just as good as her first book, "Still Missing".
This book is about a 34 year old woman, who was adopted at birth by parents who subsequently were able to conceive two more daughters.
The adoptive father is somewhat abusive emotionally, his wife is psychologically absent and the two younger sisters are mean, hateful and vindictive.
Sara is 34 and has a 6 year old (annoying, unlikable) daughter and a very supp
Vaso
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that Chevy Stevens knows how to write a good psychological thriller! I couldn’t leave this book of my hands… imagine being adopted, knowing it and at some time discovering that your biological father is a serial killer!! It is difficult to handle; I liked that Sarah, was describing the story as small talks to her therapist! The development of the characters, main and secondary, are well built. Do not expect to discover many actions scenes and detailed “murder scenes”; this book is mostly ...more
Kim
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This book was hard to put down. I read two hundred pages the first day I started reading "Never Knowing." The story never lets up from page one and the ending has a real twist. A twist that I never saw coming. Since I am a big fan of thrillers, I tried to come up wth the plot twists as I went along. Chevy Stevens threw me a big surprise! I love this book.
Cynthia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m between a 4 and 5 star rating, but I’m going to go with 5 because I thought the idea behind the book was great! What if you were adopted and find out your dad was a rapist and a serial killer?!?! From there the surprises keep coming! Who exactly can Sara trust?
Christine
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sara Gallagher has always felt like someone who didn't belong in her family. She's known about her adoption from a young age, but it was the birth of her adoptive parents' two biological daughters that really set her apart and accentuated the "not belonging."

So when she searches for her biological parents and finds her mother living nearby, she thinks she may have finally found a place of her own. But Julia, her biological mother, openly rejects her, and soon Sara discovers why. Her birth father
Kate
Mar 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, crime, mystery
Abandoned.

I could not bear to finish this book. I got 2/3rds of the way in and had to give up. All the characters are so pathetic, boring and obnoxious and ruined what might have been an interesting plot (adoptive woman descovers her mother is the only victim of a serial killer to get away. Her father is the serial killer). The main character's daughter is the main reason for giving up though. She is 6 years old and is the most obnoxious, rude and downright unpleasant child I have ever come acro
Kel
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow Chevy Stevens has done it again! What a twist. I can only hope that she continues with more and more!!
Brenda
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thriller lovers
Shelves: favourites
Unbelievable! How can so much happen to one person, and keep happening, and keep happening.......

Sara Gallagher was adopted. All her life she had wondered about her birth parents, and although she loved her parents, especially her mother, when her 2 sisters, Melanie and Lauren, were born (both naturally to her parents), she felt left out, never being good enough, never as good as her sisters.

So, with her gorgeous daughter, 6 year old Ally, and a wonderful fiance Evan, and the preparations for th
Katie
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Apr 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-reads
I won a copy of this book on a goodreads.com giveaway.

An easy to read and hard to put down book. "Never Knowing" follows Sara as she goes on a quest to find her birth parents and gets caught up in a thriller of a journey to find the truth. Complete with a terrifying serial killer and a totally unexpected twist, this story has the hallmarks of a good thriller.

This book was scary enough that I had a hard time reading it at night and found myself double-checking that my doors were locked before be
Paula
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adopted Sara searches for her birth parents, only to find out that her father is a serial killer. He's never been caught so he's still out there, and now he wants to get to know his daughter. I really enjoyed this fast-paced thriller, it was hard to put down.
Lesa Divine
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this more than I thought I would. It started off a bit slow with the main character Sara talking more to herself but then it start to pick up a bit more.

Sara just wants to find her birth parents but once finding out that her birth mom was the only victim to a serial killer and that her birth father is a serial killer ends up putting her life, her daughter and her family life in danger once it's broadcast online.

With the serial killer her father calling to use her as a way to coop and not
Kim
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thomas
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Sara Gallagher has family issues. As an adopted child, her father always showed favoritism to her two naturally conceived sisters. Now, grownup with her own child, Sara's relationship with her adopted family still isn't that great. It's a good thing that she's getting married to her fiancee, Evan, in a couple of months - and that she loves her daughter, Ally, more than anything in the world. But when Sara attempts to find closure by researching who her birth parents are, she stumbles u
Anna
The idea to this book is great; what a shame the writing couldn't live up to it.

Adopted Sara is searching for her birth parents, but when she finds her mother, she’s rejected in horror. Puzzled and hurt, Sara searches on and discovers the awful truth: her father is the Campside Killer, a man who’d been raping and strangling girls every summer for 30 years, and Sara’s mother is the one that got away. Worse is to come when he contacts Sara, telling her that talking to her several times a day is t
Autumn
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In Never Knowing Sara Gallagher is a young mother of a beautiful daughter and is planning a wedding to a wonderful man. She was adopted as a baby, and grew up with two sisters who were born biologically to her parents after her. She felt that she never really belonged after they were born. That her dad never treated her the same as the others. When she gets older, Sara wants to know who her biological parents are. When she finds her mother she is rejected immediately. It is soon after that she d ...more
Marla
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Very good murder mystery. Great twist at the end. I listened to the audiobook and I don't know if it was the reader but the main character was ticking me off. She was so whinny. I wanted to smack her on the back of the head a couple times. Other than that, this was another really good one from Chevy Stevens.
Tammie
All her life, Sara Gallagher has wondered about her birth parents. As an adopted child with two sisters who were born naturally to her parents, Sara never had an ideal home life. The question of why she was given up for adoption has always haunted her. Finally, she is ready to take steps and to find closure.

But some questions are better left unanswered.

I picked up Never Knowing and was sucked into it pretty much immediately. The story is told through therapy sessions with the main character, S

• These Things Hidden
  • A Line of Blood
  • The Wives
  • Before She Was Found
  • Ο χορός των νεκρών

CHEVY STEVENS lives on Vancouver Island with her husband and daughter. When she’s not working on her next book, she’s hiking with her two dogs on her favorite mountain trails and spending time with her family. Chevy's current obsessions are vintage airstreams, Hollywood memoirs all things mid-century modern, and stand-up comedians--not necessarily in that order.

Chevy's debut novel, STILL MISSING,