Start by marking “La Dama Inocente” as Want to Read:
La Dama Inocente

La Dama Inocente (The Brides of Fortune #2)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  433 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
La señorita Alice Lister se siente de todo menos respetable. Lo que es bastante malo si eres una criada que se ha terminado convirtiendo en heredera. Ahora el insoportablemente atractivo Lord Miles Vickery está convencido de que puede ganarse su fortuna chantajeándola para contraer matrimonio —aunque fue su encanto lleno de mentiras el que ya le rompió el corazón una vez. ...more
Published 2010 by Harlequin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about La Dama Inocente, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Dama Inocente

Holly
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Nicola Cornick book and I ended up really enjoying it. This is book 2 of the Brides of Fortune series and while this did manage to stand on it's own two feet there were times when I didn't know what the heck was going on.

I liked this book because of Miles and Alice. I liked them. They were two characters who were trapped by their circumstances and I felt so bad for them. For Alice, and yes, even Miles. At first Miles comes across as a, how shall I put this, as a humongous bastard. Call
Julie (jjmachshev)
"The Scandals of An Innocent" is book two of Nicola Cornick's early regency period trilogy. This series is set in Fortune's Folly, a fictional town in Yorkshire where the greedy 'Lord' has reinstated a Middle Ages 'Dames Tax' which will allow him to take up to half the fortune of every unwed woman of marriagable age after one year. Needless to say, every fortune hunter in the country has made his way to Fortune's Folly in an effort to wed an heiress; and the women of Fortune's Folly are literall ...more
Aquit

SPOILERS AHEAD

I can understand a cynical, emotionless, greedy, manipulator asshole for a hero. In fact, sometimes I prefer my men to be the “monster” rather than the everyday hero. It gives them a edge and an outlook on life that is both refreshing and realistic. Miles is everything I described but something about him irked me like no other. Miles' a selfish bastard and I would had preferred if he had stay that way instead of changing himself because “he fallen in love.” Then, he would had some
Andreia Silva
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
confesso que não esperava gostar tanto deste mini livro . A história está muito bem escrita muito bem desenvolvida e tem um sentido lógico e interessante.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Rakes and rich heiresses, blackmail and deception, mystery and murder, love and lust. Sounds enthralling, doesn't it? This is Nicola Cornick's second installment in the Brides of Fortune Trilogy which takes place in the Regency time period (1810) and in a small town called Fortune's Folly. Alice, our heroine, is a former maidservant who was left a large inheritance by her former employer and is now a very desirous heiress with a coveted fortune of 80,000 pounds. Miles Vickery, is a well-known an ...more
Zeek
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hist-rom, romance
Alice Lister has money. A LOT of money and Lord Miles Vickery is desperate to get his hands on it. He's two steps away from debtors prison and the beautiful, one-time servant, who's former eccentric employer left a fortune to, is his ticket to freedom.

After he dumped her for a richer heiress years before, Alice cannot believe Vickery has the gall to approach her once again. But when he pulls out his trump card- he knows something about her that can never come to light- she reluctantly agrees to
Mafi
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, pt, read-marathon
Sabe bem ler estes romances históricos de vez em quando! O Miles é um cretino mas a Alice conquistou-o. :D
SheLove2Read
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This was my first Nicola Cornick and the second book in the Brides of Fortune series. I didn't feel lost coming in on the second book because there was enough back-story rehash to bring me up to date. That being said, I'm not sure I'd read another NC story. I'm on the fence.

The book had one trope I loved: "commoner" Alice, a former maid receives inheritance from her employer and now is an heiress in her own right. Alice didn't have any of the sometimes insane notions that those born to the Ton h
Fangirl Musings
Oct 28, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one; I was NOT impressed with either the hero or heroine enough to finish the thing!
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: Impulse buy, sadly enough.
Pages Survived: 126

No. No way!

This book was a flunk from the start. I didn't even bother with finishing the thing for the simple fact that, first of all, the writing seemed so jumpy. One thought or descritpion of a characters actions would barely finish itself before another completely varied thought or action would take place.

I found the hero to be TOO much of an ass, and while that more probably will change throughout the story, that wasn't enough in my book. Add that to the fact that I find t
Harlequin Historical
Second book in the The Bride's of Fortune series.

Umm, what can I say, Nicola Cornick had another winner here definitely doesn't stress enough how good her books are. I love this series and Alice's story is wonderfully entertaining.

Alice cannot believe she is being blackmailed into marriage but it won't be that simple for her blackmailer, Lord Miles. For him to gain her fortune upon marriage certain terms have to be met according to the terms written into her inheritence. There is no way the dec
Elaine
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a lovely well written story. I could read Nicola Cornick all day long! (and sometimes do).
Pauline
Historical romance. Light and frothy read. Just what you need sometimes.
Lisa
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming. Great plot. Well written. Could've have been condensed though.
Alice Ca
Thought it 'd be better. She seemed a tough one at first but she soon became a "stupid" girl in love with the bad guy who eventually changed for his wife(-to-be)and love her back.....
HÜLYA
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yalancı Sevda Nicole Cornick

Yazarın Fortune Brides Serisinin İkinin Kitabı
Goodreads Puanı 5/3,46 Benim puanım 5/4
İlk kitap kadar iyi bir kurgusu vardı..Hikayede biraz durağanlık varsa da karakterlerin ve hikayenin derinliğini sevdim..
Serinin ilk kitabındaki Laura ve Dexter bu hikayede de vardı..Laura beş aylık hamile idi..
Romandaki kadın kahramanımız bir düşes değil bu sefer..Bir hizmetçi olan Alice Lister'e işvereni yüklü bir miras bırakırnca bir anda kısmeti açılır..Şehirdeki tüm servet avc
Sandy M
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Alice is a former maidservant who has inherited a fortune from her now-deceased employer. She’s been refusing suitors left and right because they want her only for her money due to the Dame’s Tax the local squire has placed on all unmarried females. The one man who she might have said yes to, if he hadn’t left her high and dry while he chased another heiress for her fortune, is back in Fortune’s Folly, blackmailing Alice into accepting his proposal.

Having been foisted aside for an man of higher
Gizella Tóth
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Csak rászánom magam pár gyors sorra.
Az biztos, hogy jobb, mint az első kötet. Míg abból minimum a felét kihagytam volna, itt legfeljebb 100-120 oldalt gyomlálnék ki. Amikor ötvenedszer olvasom ilyen, olyan, amolyan megfogalmazásban, hogy Alice szobalány volt, hogy Miles mekkora korhely, milyen cinikus, érzéktelen, stb., hogy csak a lány pénze kell neki, ja, meg a teste természetesen… és a végtelenségig folytathatnám az ismétlések sorát, no olyankor nagyon szívesen mondanék valamit az írónőnek.
Kitten Kisser
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I thought this would be a much more passionate romance novel. It is written well enough, but I did find myself putting it down to do something else more than I would have if the novel was more engaging. This is not one of your smutty historical romance novels. It is a tiny bit smutty but mostly it has quite the story line!
If you are into softly smutty historical romance with a long story attached, then you will probably thoroughly enjoy reading it. Not only that but it is one book in a series of
Danielles
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ja echt hartstikke goed! Het gaat maar door en door met avonturen,...spanning en sensatie!
Op naar het volgende en laatste deel!
Deel 3 van deze serie gaat over Alice, ooit dienstmeid, maar nu een rijke erfgenaam!, verplicht voor de wet te trouwen of je geld naar de staat!
Miles Vickery wil/moet! haar trouwen want hij heeft haar geld hard nodig om zijn familie van de ondergang te redden,....en Alice is zich daar heel goed van bewust,....
Hij weet Alice uiteindelijk te chanteren, maar moet zich nog
Helene Harrison
Review - I preferred this one to the first in the series The Confessions of a Duchess, mainly because of Alice Lister's circumstances - an heiress who used to be a servant. It was an intriguing prospect of a love story, and I also enjoyed Miles's straightened circumstances. Most of the Regency romance novels I've read involve nobles with a load of money and property - it was nice that this one was different.

Genre - Historical / Romance

Characters - Alice Lister / Mrs Lister / Miles Vickery / Eliz
Zephyrine
Nagyon-nagyon szeretem a történelmi-romantikus regényeket. Ez is elég jó volt. Jobb, mint az előző. Azzal nagyon hullámvölgyes volt a kapcsolatom, inkább volt sok völgy, mint hegy. Ebben meg inkább hegy volt, mint völgy. De közel sem volt tökéletes. Néha bosszantóan unalmas kifejtésekbe ment bele az írónő, és sajnos nekem korhűtlen dolgok is szemet szúrtak. Viszont a két főhős közti élcelődések, a romantikus jelenetek nagyon tetszettek. És még a fordítás is elég jól sikerült, ami manapság már cs ...more
Christine
The love story of the maidservant turned heiress, Miss Alice Lister and the renowned scoundrel, Lord Miles Vickery. It didn't seem likely that Miles could ever prove himself worthy of the love of a decent woman, or that he could offer anything more than his name to her... yet he succeeds at both by the end of this novel. Alice made this story so worthwhile. She is smart, genuine, and a true friend. She deserved her happily ever after and in the end, I'm glad she found it with the likes of Miles.
Jean Smith
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written book, where the author is very good at setting out a character and keeping the character true through out the story. There was also some surprise in who was the villain although in hindsight it should have bee obvious. The story is complete, but, also sets up the next story in the sequence without giving any spoilers away or leaving this book on a knife edge, so very cleverly written for a steamy adult novel. The book also very cleverly highlights all the angles of the tim ...more
Stephanie Jafta
This was a traditional romance novel with the usual rake of the ton and an innocent maiden but it was also different in that the maiden was a maid turned heiress (her employer left her an inheritance). Whilst I enjoyed the story line, I felt that it dragged a bit- I don't remember books based on the old English era being a bit boring... It missed a bit of the drama that I have come to expect with this genre of romance novel.

Other than that, it was a good love story.
Cristina Contilli
"Prima che ci sposassimo, mi chiedesti se sarei stato in grado di esserti fedele e io ti risposi che non lo sapevo... Mi ero convinto che volevo solo il tuo denaro, ma era una menzogna... era te, Alice, che non potevo sopportare di perdere."

Un romanzo nel complesso carino e scorrevole che racconta di come un matrimonio di interesse riesca a trasformarasi in un rapporto, fatto di passione e complicità...

Kirsti
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I really liked this one, because the main character had a bit more spunk and backbone than you usually see in these novels. She was also an incredibly nice character, and something about her appealed to me more, and her name (Alice) just seemed to set all that off nicely. I liked the plot twist, even though I guessed it long before the end, it was still a fun thing to read. These Brides of Fortune seem an interesting lot, I'll have to find the first although I do have the third to read yet.
Hbic
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Nicola Cornick's voice is very true to the Regency period, and her characters act and speak consistently with the times (other than jumping into bed together before they wed). Alice and Miles occasionally would get too "stuck" in their emotional progression toward adulthood, but it was overall a very enjoyable read and helped me pass a full day of sitting in airports and on planes! I recommend.
Bruna
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was TOO slow to really start, and when it finally did it was not that exciting... I think the book is too long for an okish plot. Perhaps shorter it could have been better; at least not as tiring.
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2016
Dude, I am serious, no one can redeem a rogue like Cornick can. MILES! <3 <3 <3 I love how he just begins to enjoy telling the truth for its own sake.
LInda L
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Regency -- somewhat repetitive at times and the lady protested WAY too much, but still quite engaging.
  • The Notorious Knight (King John, #2)
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • Beware Of Virtuous Women (Romney Marsh, #3)
  • The Vanishing Viscountess
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • Taken by the Wicked Rake (Regency Silk & Scandal, #8)
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • The Shocking Lord Standon (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #3)
  • The Rake's Inherited Courtesan
  • A Question of Impropriety
  • The Untamed Heiress
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • The Bride Wore Scarlet (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #2)
  • The De Burgh Bride (de Burgh, #2)
  • The Maid of Lorne
  • Captain Fawley's Innocent Bride (The Fawley's, #2)
International bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes romantic historical mysteries and witty and passionate Regency romance. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Nicol
More about Nicola Cornick...

The Brides of Fortune (3 books)
  • The Confessions of a Duchess (The Brides of Fortune #1)
  • The Undoing of a Lady (The Brides of Fortune #3)
“Good morning, Lord Vickery," she [Lady Elizabeth Scarlet] said. „The early fortune hunter catches the heiress, eh?” 1 likes