Start by marking “Diego Rivera: His World and Ours” as Want to Read:
Diego Rivera: His World and Ours

Diego Rivera: His World and Ours

Duncan Tonatiuh also prompts readers to think about what Diego would paint today. Ju

Published May 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Diego Rivera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diego Rivera

Start your review of Diego Rivera: His World and Ours
Calista
I know a little of Diego Rivera from the things I learned about Frida. They were married and this book mentions nothing about that famous marriage. It’s a children’s book and it glosses over most of who Diego was as a person and focuses on his artwork - which is probably best. It is interesting how he blended classical painting, cubism and ancient aztec/mayan art together and painted his country. It makes for a unique view. I enjoy that. This book is simple, he went to study art and then he was ...more
Danielle
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A biography of Diego Rivera, followed by a fascinating exploration of how he might portray our world today and encouragement to readers to make their own murals, following Rivera's legacy.
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book about Diego Rivera. I thought the text explained his life fairly well. The multi-media style of art was interesting, but I have a few complaints about this book.

Since this book is about an artist, my son and I were confused about whether the artwork in the book was Rivera's or not. The artwork is NOT Rivera's and I felt that this was a huge disservice to the artist and to us as readers. I had to go online to find artwork done by Rivera which defeats the purpose of
Mary Larkin
Diego Rivera His World and Ours
Text to Self Connection: I find myself to be similar to the main character Diego, due to our dedication to school and bettering our education by traveling out of the country. We both traveled to Europe to study, and then returned to our homeland to pursue our dreams.

Comprehension Questions:
1) Above all else, what was Diego Rivera’s passion as a child, and into his adult life?
2) The title includes: His World and Ours, why do you believe Tonatiuh used this as an addi
Sarahi
Diego Rivera: His World and Ours – Primary book #4

1. How many of you like to draw? (Wait for response) Now how many of you like to draw things that occur in our world today, like communicating with technology, playing mainly video games, and so forth? (wait for response) I know many of you enjoy drawing, but have you ever been to a museum and seen that most of the art pieces from a long time ago reflect wars, and things that occurred in whatever community the artist was from? If you haven’t I ho
Alison
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Audience: Primary

Genre: Picture Book

Text to Self: After reading this book, I was reminded of a recent trip that I took to Kansas City. Last month, I visited the Nelson Art Museum to view the Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo art exhibit. The illustrator of this book, Duncan Tonatiuh, did a fantastic job capturing Rivera's unique artistic style and modifying it for a children's picture book. The book describes the murals that Diego Rivera painted, which he created in an effort to capture the Mexican
Janet
Having recently viewed my first Diego Rivera painting up close and was allowed to photograph it I was anxious to learn more about Rivera. The author's note in the appendix supplied basic facts and the bibliography some additional titles as well as museums and websites where I could view Rivera's work.
However, this book just confused me. The author and illustrator gave brief information regarding Rivera and the illustrations were done in "Rivera" style by Tonatiuh. I guess imitation is the sincer
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
One of the things I liked about this 2012 Pura Belpre Award winner was its illustrations by Duncan Tonatiuh, who imitated the Aztec style of drawing people, which Rivera loved. The emphasis in this biography is on Rivera's career and his love for ancient Mexican art and civilization. I wasn't so thrilled with the speculations on what he would paint if he were alive today, which took up 9 pages. Basically, it as an exercise in applying Rivera's technique to today's subjects, which I wasn't intere ...more
Mary Mayfield
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Audience: primary
Genre: children's (biography)
Mental image quote: He wanted to celebrate the things that were special to Mexico and wanted Mexicans, from all distant parts of the land, to learn about their culture and feel proud. (P. 11)

I chose this quote because I truly could imagine people (particularly students) using his paintings of Mexico's history to learn about their cultural past. It breaks my heart to see that my students from Mexico seem to be caught between the "Americanism" that the
Katherine
Genre: Juvenile nonfiction, biography
Format: Print
Plot: Brief biography of Diego Rivera, as well as an introduction to the styles he practiced, and a final section on what Diego Rivera might paint today.
Readers advisory:
Review citation: SLJ 2010
Source: Children's Core Collection
Recommended age: 4-6
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This book talks about Diego Rivera's art and how his style developed and what he might have painted if he were alive today. My guess is that this will likely get a serious look by this year's Belpre committee as well.
Sara Mostek
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Audience: Grades K-3
Appeal: Great illustrations; mural history of Mexican culture
Awards: Tosas Rivera Book Award, American Library Association Notable Books for Children (Won), Pura Belpre Award (Won)
Edward Sullivan
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to River's life and works for young readers. Tonatihu encourages readers to speculate on what Rivera would choose fopr his subjects were he alive today.
Dorothy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dorothy Schultz
TED 2360
7/12/13

“Diego Rivera: His World and Ours” by Duncan Tonatiuh.
The audience: upper primary and intermediate grades (3-5th)because of the emphases on Diego Rivera’s art and the different cultures and countries.

Genre: Upper Primary and Intermediate Nonfiction Biography.

“Diego Rivera: His World and Ours” this story is a Pura Belpre Award book that focuses on the Diego becoming one of the most famous painters of the twentieth century. This story tells how as a young man Diego
Rachel Bormann
1) Audience: Primary

2) Genre:
“Diego Rivera: His World and Ours” is considered a work of realistic fiction. Specifically, however, it would be considered historical fiction as it was based off of the true-life events of Diego Rivera and it also noted numerous events and traditions in Mexican history.

3) Award:
Duncan Tonatiuh’s “Diego Rivera: His World and Ours” received the 2012 Tomás Rivera Mexican-American Children’s Book Award.

4) Text-to-World Connection:
It is possible to make numerous text-t
Liz
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Week 12
This a picture book about Diego Rivera, a famous Mexican painter. It takes the reader through his youth, when he traveled to Spain and Paris to practice "classical" and "cubism" painting, and how he gave back to his native Mexico. One day Diego was contracted to paint murals about Mexican history and customs. When Diego painted, he combined several types of styles of create his art. His paintings included the history of this country, the struggles of the Mexican people, fights that took p
Erin
Audience: ages 4-7, those interested in Spanish or Latino culture, painters, boys and girls
Appeal: The artistry and usefulness of this book are really what makes it stand out. It's very informative, almost like a nonfiction book (but without the dry excitement). One word to describe this bok would be "engaging".
Application: I would like to use this book to introduce ancient (what looks to be) Aztec artistry, as well as Diego Rivera, an influential 20th century painter. The book has a glossary of
Dannie Gonzalez
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Duncan Tonatiuh’s children’s book, Diego Rivera: His World and Ours, illustrates the life of mural artist Diego Rivera and portrays his life through beautifully illustrated images. Tonatiuh organizes his book with a third person point of view and with the first part being Diego’s world and then goes on to demonstrate Rivera’s paintings and life. This book includes aspects of art history and Mexican culture thus falling under the informational and historical biography genres. The author utilizes ...more
Daniela
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grade Level: K-3
Awards: Pura Belpre Award
Main Characters: Diego Rivera
Setting: Starts in Mexico, California, and everywhere Diego Rivera traveled in his later years
POV: Third Person
Summary: This book goes through the life of Diego Rivera and tells how he became a renowned Mexican artist. It starts by telling of his childhood and the passion for art he possessed as a child. As he grew his passion did not fade, and he traveled all over the world inspiring Rivera to try new art techniques such as c
Jim Erekson
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the basic outline of Rivera's history, and the parallels Tonatiuh tries to draw between Rivera's early-20th-century material and current material were worth thinking about. As with many other picturebook biographies about visual artists, this book does not stand alone well. It demands familiarity with Diego Rivera, either beforehand or after this introduction. I would not read it with kids without a field trip, a big art book to look at, or a pile of google images.

Tonatiuh's illustrat
Kathleen Whitaker
This book "Diego Rivera" by Duncan Tonatiuh, does what most primary books do, tell you a story and encourage you to create art. This book introduces young students, ages 5 and up, to artist Diego Rivera. The book introduces Diego and his works to readers and discusses some of the styles that he used, such as classical and cubism. Cubism is a method in which the painting does not exactly resemble its subject but is composed of geometric shapes such as squares, circles and triangles. Needless to s ...more
Ardea Smith
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-log
Title / Author / Publication Date: Diego Rivera: His World and Ours/Duncan Tonatiuh/2011

Genre: Non-Fiction, Picture Book

Format: Hardcover

Plot summary: This charming book introduces one of the most popular artists of the twentieth century, Diego Rivera, to young readers. It tells the story of Diego as a young, mischievous boy who demonstrated a clear passion for art and then went on to become one of the most famous painters in the world.(GoodReads)

Considerations or precautions for readers adviso
Bailie
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the life of Diego Rivera and how he contributed to his country. Diego was a painter who painted the history of his people on murals and walls to spread the word about his culture. This book is a good book for diversity.
Stefanie
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
The idea is great but the art is mediocre.
Ben Truong
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Diego Rivera: His World and Ours is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Duncan Tonatiuh. It is a biographical picture book of Diego Rivera – an artist.

Mid-September to Mid-October, at least in my part of the world is Hispanic/Latino Heritage Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subject everyday this month. Therefore, I thought that this book would be apropos for today.

Diego María de la Concepción Juan Nepomuceno Estanis
Wendy Wisneski
This biography, told by the perspective of an insider from Mexico, not only tells the history of the famous painter, Diego Rivera but also delivers a striking comparison between his time and ours with a message that should not be missed - It is our responsibility to live together and care for one another as Diego displayed in his historical murals.

The one thing that would complete this book would be original photos of his murals, maybe at the end where the author's note is published.

This book w
Tatsuhiro Sato
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 🌟

This picture book deals with what goes in the heart of an artist and how art is significant part of human civilization.
The art work of Duncan Tonatiuh is amazing in all of his picture books. Also he deals with issue we face as adults in such a brilliant artistic way.
Samantha
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Diego Rivera by Duncan Tonatiuh follows the life story of famous artist Diego Rivera. This book has a very unique art style and is very informational to the young reader. There is plenty of helpful back matter that can be found as well as how to pronounce terms/ definitions found in the book. I liked this book because I thought it was super fun to read as well as being informational.
Jaime Small
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-ycl
I never knew about Diego Rivera until I read this book. I feel like this book promotes diversity and that anyone can tell stories through art. At the end of the novel it asks questions of what Diego Rivera would paint about our society today if he were alive and says since he isn’t alive that “it is up to us to make our own murals and bring them to life.” I liked how the book was engaging with the reader to create art as well.
Something I really liked were the illustrations. Not only were they d
Emily Ramos-Niaves
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book! It is about Diego Rivera and how he used art to spread his culture and influence others. It is a great read, especially for the kids who love art.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dreamers
  • Last Stop on Market Street
  • Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • Baby Animals
  • Ruth and the Green Book
  • The Whispering Town
  • La Frontera: El Viaje Con Papa / My Journey with Papa
I was born in Mexico City and grew up in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. I received my BFA from Parsons School of Design and my BA from Eugene Lang College, both of them divisions of the New School University in New York City.

My first picture book "Dear Primo, a letter to my cousin" is published by H N Abrams and will be in stores March 1st, 2010.

My illustrations of the AH1N1 in Mexico were selecte