Start by marking “Blood Crimes: Book One” as Want to Read:
Blood Crimes: Book One

Blood Crimes: Book One

Blood Crimes is a genre-bending collision of dark urban fantasy and crime that rides shot-gun with Jim and Carol as they carve a homicidal path cross-country. Jim is infected with the vampire virus. Carol isn't. Yet. But they're united in their hunt for society’s most dangerous predators for Jim's dinner -- so he can feed without harming the innocent. What they don't know ...more
Nook
Published December 31st 2010 by Dave Zeltserman Books (first published December 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Crimes

Josh
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own, horror, read_2012
Think of Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt case books with the violence of Anthony Neil Smith's 'Hogdoggin' and you'll have a solid grounding as to what to expect of Zelterman's 'Blood Crimes'. While vampires have been done to death in recent times, Zeltserman injects not only a fast moving linear plot but sharp characters symbolic of modern vampire pulp. Typecast noir couple, Carol (attractive and human) and Jim (death and wishing he wasn't) are the yin and yang that ties the two distinctly different w ...more
Mindy MacKay
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Whoa.

WHOA.

Okay. Let's see if I can explain this. Take today's typical vampire fiction, shove it into Bedlam House and whip it with a cat-o'-ninetails to force it to breed with your grittiest crime thriller. That's what you'll get when you open up this book.

Blood Crimes is fast. It's visceral. It's definitely not your fourteen-year-old sister's dreamy vampire fantasy. This book grabs you by the guttiwuts, wrenches hard, and doesn't let go.

But don't get me wrong, this isn't your run-of-the-mill sh
Ben
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Grab your e-book reader of choice, and hold on tight, because Dave Zeltserman has started a vampire series that will knock your socks off, and suck the blood right out of you.

This book has movie written all over it. It’s opening scene is of the protagonist Jim and his girl Carol on the run, driving down the highway jamming to The Doors’ Riders On The Storm.

Needing blood, Jim travels around the country feeding off of low lives, women abusers, and drug dealers.

He’s being chased by Serena, a sex cr
Joni
Mar 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Ugh! This book is horrible! I am really disappointed because it got excellent reviews but it's so filled with gore, horror, sex and profanity that I can't stand it. I read the first 200 pages hoping it would get better but it just keeps getting worse so I give up. I think the story would be good if not for all the reasons I listed above. I'm tempted to keep reading just to find out what happens but I just can't.
Gef
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ain't your mamma's vampire fantasy, I can tell you that right now. Put some bloodsuckers in an urban fantasy these days and images of angsty girls and sparkly creeps brooding their hearts out spring to mind, I'll bet. Dave Zeltserman has a cure for that.

Jim's a vampire. Carol's the woman who loves him. And that's about as close to paranormal romance as you're gonna get. The two cut a path of death across America, picking off one low-life at a time to spare innocents from Jim's thirst for bl
Jen
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a good story. I really like vampire tales, and this was a great way to modernize it. As others have written, it's not overly romanticized - there's no trace of Twilight here. However, there is the "vampire" with a conscience and he certainly seems to have kept his humanity, so there is a bit of the romantic to be found here. On the other hand, there is more violence and the characters seem slightly more realistic for being "undead".

There were several typographic errors in my version an
Sherry
May 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I got this book free from Kindle. I'm a bit over vampires and this book is all about vampires. I feel nobody beats Anne Rice at Vampires. This author really doesn't either, but he weaves a good tale. Jim is a Vampire, turned into one by the sexy vampire Serena. He escapes Serena, and she hires a PI to find him. Hungry and on the run, Jim saves Carol from a rapist, kills him and drinks his blood. Meanwhile another cell spawned from Serena's in Austin Texas is run by an ex CIA assassin, Metcalf, w ...more
Eero
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-ebook, kindle
I didn't know anybody used the term "white slavery" these days. It seems so last century.

Anyway, this book picked up the pace towards the end, and ended on a cliffhanger so that any reader interestad in the fates of the surviving characters would want to pick up the sequel as soon as possible. Good mindless fun, but hardly much more than that. Did it bring anything new to the vampire genre? Zeltserman's vampires are created by a virus infection. This book did not specify how long the virus had
Jenni Heath
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Although this is yet another vampire book this should not be mistaken as an adult Twilight. These vampires a mean and do not sparkle!!! It's a very adult book with a lot of bad language, but to be honest I found it a relief to not have to deal with teenage angst. The story line was good, although a little predictable, and moved along nicely. My biggest problem is the complete cliffhanger at the end. The story isn't wrapped up at all and I can't find anything about when book 2 will be coming out. ...more
Kirsten Lenius
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a slightly different vampire book. I was interested to start with, but then it kept getting messier and more out of control without good reason, in my mind. It also ended on a note that didn't feel like any kind of closure. It is clear that there will be another book, but I feel that each book in series should be somewhat sufficient unto itself, rather than leaving nearly all the issues at loose ends. I did want to like it, but was left a bit flat.
Faith
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I couldn't stand this book. It flips around from different points of view-some of which the characters haven't been introduced. I think I was 40% through the book before it actually gave me a real plot line. The only reason I stuck with it is I felt obligated to keep going. Once it started coming to a close it didn't give a good stopping point just okay done check out the next book. I won't be picking up the next book because the writing style is not for me.
Jessica
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting take but too much gore and sex and ends with NO closure. I hate series that try to force you to keep going. Write a good book and make me want to instead of just making me want to see what happens.
Dorsi
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Plenty of action and horror. A different take on vampires. No mushy romance here! The story telling was fabulous! I can't wait for book 2! In the interim, I will be checking out more of Dave Zeltserman's books.
Lora King
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun book, a new take on vampires or vampirish type creatures. It was a quick read because it kept the action going the whole way from page one to the end. I love vampire books and love seeing where authors take the superstitions and lore. I'm looking forward to book 2!
Tonya Morris
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
An easy read. When will Book Two be out?
Danette Cole
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book kept me captivated throughout. I liked that it was different from the other vampire books out there.
Michele
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Ends with no satisfaction. The plot just stops and you have to wait for the next book. There was a lot of action and it was interesting enough but the lack of conclusion is disappointing.
Feistync
Jul 23, 2012
Dan
Sep 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Face of Evil (The Dead Man, #1)
  • The Witch Stones : Gathering Of The Covens
  • Blood Life
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • The 13th
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
  • Ring of Knives (The Dead Man, #2)
  • The Bastard Hand
  • Ninth Crossing: Discovery
  • Escaping Destiny (Tapestry Chronicles, #1)
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • The Uninvited
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • Blood Reaction (Blood Reaction Saga, #1)
  • Voice
  • The Bitch
  • Badge of Evil
Author of the crime noir novel SMALL CRIMES named by NPR as the best crime and mystery novel of 2008, and by the Washington Post as one of the best novels of 2008, and made into a major film (to be released in 2017) starring Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Molly Parker, Gary Cole, Robert Forster, and Jacki Weaver.

Shamus Award winner for JULIUS KATZ. Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Award winner for ARCHIE'S