Start by marking “The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century” as Want to Read:
The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century

The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  325 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Explosive and provocative battles fought across the boundaries of time and space--and on the frontiers of the human mind.

Science fiction's finest have yielded this definitive collection featuring stories of warfare, victory, conquest, heroism, and overwhelming odds. These are scenarios few have ever dared to contemplate, and they include:

"Superiority": Arthur C. Clarke
Published May 1st 2001 by Del Rey

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century

Michael
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mostly mid-20th century stuff in here, but interesting non-the-less. Had to skip the last story, had all this stuff about talking dragons - couldn't handle that...
Desmond White
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This guy Harry Turtledove is pretty sneaky. Edited the book and slipped one of his own stories in the middle.
Alice Adder
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Why is Anne McCaffrey in this...
I read about half the stories.
My favourites were Joe Haldeman and Arthur C. Clarke.

Arthur C. Clarke's very short story is a pretty good allegory for how dysfunctional our own military is today. And Joe Haldeman is a master of military fiction (probably due to his own military service in Viet Nam.)

Of course, I've already read Ender's Game, but I think excerpting the last 1/3 of a classic novel was a weird move for a short story anthology.
Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories, edited by Harry Turtledove and Martin H. Greenberg. It contains the best of the best in military-centric hard science fiction short stories. I'm in the middle of reading this one, so this will be more than one posting. The listing of authors are a who's who in this SF sub-genre: Poul Anderson, Philip K. Dick, Joe W. Haldeman, Arthur C. Clarke, Orson Scott Card (his Ender's Game, the short story that started a book series), David Drake (a story from his Hamm ...more
Lewis
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had already read most of these stories but I was in hospital. So I read them again and I was amazed at how my tastes had changed. Ones I didn't like too much I now loved and vice versa.
Fred
I almost gave this three stars. But then I realized that there were three stories in here that I have read in the past and so I skipped them. Those were probably the best ones of the bunch and taking those into consideration makes it a four star book.

This had been in my Goodreads recommendations for over a year now so it was definitely time for me to get it read. It was pretty good, although the novellas that are sandwiched in here kind of killed it for me. Part of the fun of reading a collecti
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm half-way through these stories. Not all stories are worth 5 stars, but the collection is a great survey of the century's best military sci-fi. Now, despite Starship Troopers being one of my all-time fav books (note: HATED the movie), I'm not a big military sci-fi girl - too much metal and self-aware robots for my taste (also, not enough humor). BUT, these stories are by-and-large well-told with interesting situations and well-drawn characters. After finishing the rest of the stories, I give ...more
Patrick Justo
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is an anthology of science fiction based in a military setting. It introduced me to Joe Haldeman, whom I am ashamed to say I had never even heard of before. (I know, I know!). As with any anthology, some of the stories are great, some are Eh, some are "Thank God that's over". On the whole, I enjoyed the book, and I'm now looking for more from Joe Haldeman.
Jason
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Some pretty forgettable stories. Highpoints are "Second Variety" by Philip K. Dick, "Wolf Time" by Walter Jon Williams and "The scapegoat" by C.J. Cherryh. And the one that didn't belong in this volume was "Dragonrider" by Anne McCaffrey. Seriously, thats fantacy not Sci-fi.
Falbs
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had read many of these stories before, but they are well worth revisiting. I had a great time going through each and every story. The books title might be a little grandiose, then again, it might not.
Katie
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci fi lovers
This is a fantastic collection. I enjoyed every story, even George R. R. Martin's somewhat lackluster story about fighter pilots. I would call the latter the weakest piece in the anthology. These stories are great, and I am so glad I bought this.
Kurt Lemke
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great anthology. This is the book that got me interested in David Drake's Hammers Slammers series.
James
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction, military history and science, or both
A collection of work from quite a variety of authors with a real range of visions and philosophies - for anyone interested in this sub-genre, a great book.
Kevin Connery
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A couple of very good stories, but overall, average to disappointing.
Ed Arnold-berkovits
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Military. Science Fiction. There you have it. Some good stories, some lame. All entertaining in some way or another.
Eddie
Jul 31, 2007 rated it liked it
This Random House collections are a great way to find new sci-fi authors. The downside seems to be that during the editing they leave out some important aspects of the novels and stories.
Megan
Jul 04, 2009 marked it as to-read
Reading this off and on between other books...
Jon
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Eh. A couple good stories, the rest mildly entertaining. And I'm sorry, Pern *isn't* sci-fi. Not even a little.
Chris Donovan
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended. Discovered a few new writers for me, notably C. J. Cherryh. A good compendium with a couple of misses...
Rosalind Hartmann
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually into military science fiction but I'll read anything by Phillip K. Dick. His classic 'Second Variety' is in this compilation and it's a fine example of his true genius.
Simone Everett
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read it for class, but I genuinely like the book. Some of the stories are super outlandish, comical even. All the stories do make you question how warfare could be in the future.
Matt Nichols
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
This is my first adventure into modern science fiction and it was a good collection to start with. I definitely got a good variety of storytelling from a myriad of writers. I recommend it.
Ca53buckeye
  • If I Were An Evil Overlord
  • The New Space Opera
  • 50 Short Science Fiction Tales
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • High Tech/High Touch: Technology and Our Search for Meaning
  • War Stories: New Military Science Fiction
  • Paycheck and Other Classic Stories
  • Making History & Reality Dust (Xeelee Sequence, #6)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...