Start by marking “The Men I Didn't Marry” as Want to Read:
The Men I Didn't Marry

The Men I Didn't Marry

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  836 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
The authors of the national bestsellers Mine Are Spectacular! and The Botox Diaries apply their trademark wit and wisdom to another delicious adventure. Join Hallie Lawrence Pierpont as she’s whisked away on a journey into her past love life that leads to her future.

Hallie’s husband, Bill, doesn’t even wait until they get home from dropping off their youngest daughter at Y
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 4th 2006 by Random House Audio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Men I Didn't Marry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Men I Didn't Marry

LauraZu
5 AMAZINGLY FUNNY AND ENTERTAINING STARS!

*Re-read for GR.

These authors are just amazing, I love their books and their writing, their characters and plots. It's amazing I can't get enough, only thing that would make this better is if we had a sequel or a shortie if the future. Pretty please.

So we have Hallie Lawrence Pierpont, after leaving her youngest daughter in Yale, her husband Bill doesn't even wait to get home before announcing that he's leaving her for a fitness trainer named Ashlee. Af
Valerie
This is just a fun read. It won't change your life. It won't really make you think...although the authors do try and throw in a bit of be grateful for what you have, etc...it was fun to read and I did enjoy it. The book does have a lot of totally unbelievable coincidences but...if you can get through that then it's fun to read! Enjoy!
Lisa Harris
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book warmed my heart. I especially liked reading a story about a women closer to my age. I was a bit worried that the story would take an ugly turn when the character seemed to be reconsidering her ex husband, but it all worked out well. Thank goodness. : )
Barbara Cozens
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fun and easy read. It was witty and playful. It made me think (and cringe) about the men I didn't marry.
Amie
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Total chick lit, really funny book. I liked this one.
Tiah
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy a thoughtless funny book every now and again. This was a perfect mix of comedy and "oh my god, this is my life" moments!
Elle
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an entertaining read. Hallie drops off her daughter and Yale and before she even gets to the car, he is breaking up with her after decades of being married. He drives to Manhattan even though they live in the suburbs. So this jerk drives to an apartment in Manhattan and leaves her the car and says that he lives in the apartment with his girlfriend, Ashlee. She is a young personal trainer that he met with the Equinox membership his wife bought him.

Hallie spends some time just trying to deal
LillaLovesBooks
A nice, entertaining escape from reality about a woman whose husband just leaves her suddenly and trying to figure where to go from there. Hallie thinks the secret to feeling happy again may be in one of the men she didn't marry, but the lesson in this book is that oftentimes the path not taken was for a reason. Pretty witty book, but as another review pointed out there is a point in story about sister that seems very random and then is quickly resolved, making the reader question why authors ad ...more
Julie
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book
Ruth Santana Valencia
Un libro muy femenino donde vas de la risa, a la reflexión y al coraje, etc.
Si eres mujer en la edad media o recien divorciada o soltera este libro es para ti.
Muy divertido.
Debbie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, fast read. The characters are very likable and I found myself chuckling several times throughout the book. Perfect beach read.
Shannon
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, relationships
Honestly, this book was kind of all over the place. I enjoyed reading it, but I also don't think it was very good in the end. Too scattered. It felt like the plot involving one of the ex-boyfriends and the character's sister was just sort of shoe-horned in. Didn't seem to go with the rest of the book at all. It's like the character barely thought about it for twenty years, barely thought about it during the course of the story, then can't think about anything else and goes off to deal with it, a ...more
Amberlee
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this book out of the library in a 'listening book' form to take along with me on a short road trip. The
title and the back flap suggested I was in for a ' delicious adventure.' I was hoping for a witty take on the
old and tired 'woman gets dumped by husband' plot line. I was disappointed. There were no surprises as the woman, Hallie Lawrence, searches out former boyfriends and rehashes her failed unions with them.
Why? I have no idea. It seemed like a colossal waste of time to me, especialy
Natalye
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While all the chick-lit I seem to be reading is fairly parallel in structure, digesting this book was a bit much for me. It wasn't that the theme was difficult to comprehend - in fact it was quite simple. Rather, the way in which the plot evolved struck me as entirely too coincidental and contrived. It didn't seem to be a very creative read; the story was shallow and unrealistic. More than anything, I like a book I can relate to or, at the very least, characters who are compelling enough to be r ...more
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
Semi-decent chick lit. Protagonist gets dumped by her husband of 20+ years, then goes in search of her old boyfriends to see what she missed out on...learns something from each of them along the way, etc. etc. I probably would have liked it more if it weren't for 2 things: one, I felt that the authors were trying TOO hard to be funny. You could hardly finish a paragraph without finding some not-so-witty one liner thrown in. Two, the whole part with Dick (her 4th boyfriend) seemed rushed and rand ...more
Ninadiva
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you wait long enough the rating goes from a 2 to an almost 3. The first 150 pages are tough to go through. Normally I would have just stop reading it, but decided to skim the really boring parts. The author will have the characters in a tanning salon for 3 pages and it doesn't move the plot along and its not funny (although perhaps the author meant it to be which is just sad). You could start reading this book at about page 150 and just go from there knowing the main characters husband left h ...more
Shauna
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read by this pair of authors. I had never heard of them before and only picked up the book because I was at the library, frantically looking for a book to read over the weekend. So, this review is a little behind the times because this book is from a few years ago, but I happen to really enjoy their style of writing. It was witty, light and fun. The story line was terribly unrealistic (but aren't most chick-lit books?), but it wasn't like I was looking for some heavy, n ...more
Nicole
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book as a four stars because it was a truly fun and entertaining book of fiction -- emphasizing fiction because the premise of the entire storyline was too far fetched!! The main character never really deals with her pain and you keep turning the pages to see her have a breakdown. If looking for her old boyfriends was suppose to be the author's way to have her deal - I didn't see it. The absolute surreal points where that all of the boyfriends she tracked down were all completely th ...more
Mel
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pat
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book. As one who has been dumped, albeit not after a long marriage, but a short one, I was cheering Hallie, the Heroine on, as she recalled all her past loves with good and bad/sad memories. It is funny to think along the lines of would have, could have, should have! I enjoyed this walk on a personal level, because she did what I think, most women would like to do. I enjoyed it greatly! Perhaps it had a cathartic effect, brought back memories too!
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
While I was reading this book (which I borrowed from the library), I kept exclaiming to myself, "This is so bad!" It's just that there were so many awful asides, which were neither witty nor useful. It was a tired, uninspired, overwrought, fantastical work of prose. And it took two people to write it! Of course, "chick lit" is not known for its resounding intelligence and thought-provoking material, but it certainly does not have to be this dim-witted.
Kenia Roman
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Demasiado sarcasmo estadounidense. Muchas cosas que aun no me explico. Si se caso joven, como aparece en el libro, ¿cómo pudo tener tantos novios?
Me gusto en algunas partes pero en otras se me hizo tedioso. Creí que leería un libro sobre como superar y continuar tu vida cuando tu marido se va pero no... No me gusto en lo personal.
Kristy
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
This was a great beach read! Lots of funny moments balanced with insightful ones. After Hallie's husband leaves her to move in with is personal trainer girlfriend, she goes through her past. She goes about looking up exboyfriends, the men she didn't marry. She remembers why she fell for them and why they didn't work out. A good book about self discovery and finding love again.

Brittney
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first you think it's going to be a cliche book about a woman who is depressed about her divorce and what happens after but there are so many twists and turns and then when you think her journey is over, there starts an entire new one. I really enjoyed the jokes stuck in by her conscious thoughts in response to other characters' actions and words. Very appealing! I wish there was a sequel!
Murghi
Dec 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can it be that I've actually outgrown chick-lit? Because this excursion into crappy writing and stupid plotline was a total and utter waste of time. No enjoyment. Skimmed to the end, just in case something happened. It didn't. And just when I thought that a cover with a couple of skinny chicks with polka-dot high heels meant good light reading...
Veronica
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, favorites
This is one to keep on my shelf. When you think everything is so great, the unexpected sometimes happens. It happen to us all. The Men I Didn't Marry shows that visitng your past, truly does help you to identify with the self you have become. What better way to revisit your past, and find that life has so much waiting for you ahead. Expect the unexpected!
Luann Holman
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! I can relate being a middle-aged woman. I love that she moved on and was happy! Men always have so much control in a marraige when the mother stays at home,they leave and the woman is basically screwed. I liked that she was happy in her marriage, then found happiness after.
Joy
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that this book was not a sob story about a husband leaving his wife but instead a women who takes charge of her life. It must be difficult to be in the situation of these characters but I loved that the wife stood her ground and didnt give into her husband wanting to get back together. Great book.
Tania Cano Pérez
Próximamente subiré una reseña a mi blog sobre el libro porque no sé que me ha pasado pero me he desilusionado mucho conmigo misma al acabar este libro. Pronto en http://tacapememories.wordpress.com
May 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Men I Didn't Marry. It had just the right number of subtle modern day references, and the pace was easy, but not slow. Plus, who wouldn't want to look up all their old bfs/gfs? Well, maybe not all...
I didn't do that then I'm wouldn't 1 2 Aug 27, 2015 11:11PM
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • Technical Hitch
  • The Second Wives Club
  • El ladrón de tumbas
  • 616. Todo Es Infierno
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • Pick Me Up
  • Does She or Doesn't She?
  • Fashionably Late
  • Losing It (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Rescue Me
  • Busy Woman Seeks Wife
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • Bed Rest
  • Web of Darkness (The Fall of Atlantis, #2)
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • Love: A User's Guide
Janice Kaplan was the Editor-in-Chief of Parade Magazine, the most widely read publication in America. Widely known for her achievements as a writer, television producer, and magazine editor, she was deputy editor of TV Guide magazine and executive producer of the TV Guide Television Group, where she created and produced television specials that aired primetime on ABC, FOX, VH1 and other networks. ...more
More about Janice Kaplan...