Start by marking “The Crack in the Lens” as Want to Read:
The Crack in the Lens

The Crack in the Lens

If someone had asked Sherlock Holmes later in the year, there is little doubt that he would have said his life began that spring day in 1871 when he met Violet Rushdale upon the moors and ended in the winter some months distant. His mother would have disputed the former claim, and many, both friend and foe, would come to deny the latter. Yet what happened that year nearly ...more
Published December 23rd 2010 by Foolscap & Quill

To ask other readers questions about The Crack in the Lens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crack in the Lens

Start your review of The Crack in the Lens
Jennifer Petkus
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Darlene Cypser has pulled off an amazing conjuring trick with The Crack in the Lens, writing an original Sherlock Holmes story that is in no way a Sherlock Holmes story and that owes more to Emily Brontë than Arthur Conan Doyle.

Cypser’s novel introduces us to 17-year-old Sherlock, happy to have returned to his Yorkshire home. He is the youngest son of the forbidding squire, Siger Holmes, with older brothers Mycroft and Sherrinford. His father considered him a delicate child who suffered from
Wendy
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
"The Crack in the Lens" which I won from Goodreads Giveaways is a brilliant masterpiece that takes place in Victorian England and once again brings to life Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's memorable character,Sherlock Holmes. This is a captivating story filled with mystery and suspense that centers around the early years of young Sherlock before he becomes the daunting and calculating detective everyone knows.

As the story opens Sherlock and his parents have returned to Mycroft Manor from France after
Philip Jones
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is the first of a series of novels which Ms. Cypser is planning to describe Sherlock’s life through University and his early career as a detective.

In contrast to a number of recent Sherlockian efforts, this book was written and edited by a professional. I found only one trivial error, although I am sure there must be a few more. The writing is clear and direct, with prose that evokes the Yorkshire Dales and the people who have lived there from time out of mind. For a while I found
Betsy
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Leah
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In The Crack in the Lens, Ms. Cypser, long-time Sherlockian and current president of the Denver scion society, “Dr. Watson’s Neglected Patients,” has written a book which should appeal to both newbies and seasoned fans. There are plenty of nods to both canon and William S. Baring-Gould’s biography of Holmes (although she does not follow the latter slavishly), but one does not need to have either memorized to follow the plot. As a young man, Sherlock has many characteristics of the Great ...more
JoLynn
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

A story of the seventeen year old Sherlock Holmes - the highly intelligent and somewhat misunderstood youngest son of a very demanding father. The lonely Sherlock finds a friend when he offers to help Violet Rushdale, the daughter of one of his father's tenant farmers, as she struggles to provide for herself and her widowed alcoholic father. As the young pair share their brief moments of free time, love blossoms.

If this were merely a
Monica
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Entertaining read but nothing else. It may he better suited for young adult's introduction to SH. For a mature reader it may be too juvenile. 17 years old Sherlock in love whinning may attract teenagers and romantic souls. Unfortunately, I can't count myself a part of them.
Marilyn
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My love of mysteries started with Sherlock Holmes. Having read all his mysteries I was thrilled to read this book. The Author does a fantastic job in creating a believeable past for Sherlock. I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.
John
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not the usual Sherlock Holmes story. lyrics takes place in the 1870's when Sherlock was 17 years old. It was fun to see him begin to develop his investigative abilities while experiencing the trauma the many 17 year olds go through today. It was an easy read and very enjoyable.
Naomi
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this book and feel it is written well. I must say though, being a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I am having difficulties with how she is portraying a young Sherlock. I get it..I just keep thinking "Could he really have been like this?"
Jen 3_Piets
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating idea, a look into who Sherlock Holmes was before the fame and John Watson shared his life with the world.
Al
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012, kindle
Details of fictional detective Sherlock Holmes’ early life are sketchy in the novels and short stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Filling in this gap with stories of what Holmes’ early life might have been has turned into a small cottage industry, with books and even a movie, Barry Levinson’s 1985 film "Young Sherlock Holmes". I hesitate to call this fan fiction because, unrestrained by copyright law (the Holmes stories are now in the public domain), authors of these works aren’t limited ...more
Niffer
Average writing, predictable storyline. Not really worth the read.
Ems Stanton
Aug 21, 2012
Bob Roecker
Apr 23, 2018
Sonja
rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Sherlock Holmes is not remotely... interested. 1 8 Dec 10, 2011 08:14AM
Darlene Cypser is a writer, attorney, and historian.

She is currently the "Chief Surgeon" of Dr. Watson's Neglected Patients and has been a member of the Hudson Valley Sciontists, and The Hounds of the Internet. The Baker Street Journal (the official publication of the Baker Street Irregulars) published three articles that she wrote about the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Darlene is writing a series of