Start by marking “A Visual Dictionary of Architecture” as Want to Read:
A Visual Dictionary of Architecture

A Visual Dictionary of Architecture

This book defines over 5,000 terms relating to architectural design, history, and technology. It is the only dictionary that provides concise, accurate definitions illustrated with finely detailed, hand-rendered drawings, each executed in Mr. Ching's signature style.
Published November 28th 1996 by Wiley (first published 1995)

Forrest
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am not an architect and now I don't need to be. I bought this book purely as a reference for my writing craft, and I am very glad I did so. This is the Gray's Anatomy of architecture, if you will, presented in an easy to digest visual manner. It takes some digging to find exactly what you want, because the book is organized so that taxonomic categories and theoretical ideas are interspersed in a way that doesn't always make sense, but, if it's architectural in any way, it's in there. An extrem ...more
Tine Fuentebella
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the only reference book i read cover to cover when i took the licensure exam and i passed! This book is highly informative in visual and in context.
Samuel
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Professor Francis D.K. Ching's A Visual Dictionary of Architecture is the most useful tool I have found yet for understanding the descriptive terminology used in the diverse field of architecture. It is general yet broad enough to be useful to students, architects, contractors, historians, preservationists, etc. who have an interest in and/or desire to know what to call the complex components of everyday (as well as many common typology) buildings. The blend of visual imagery with short descript ...more
Jessie Moberg
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Excellent reference for architecture terminology and concepts - both common and obscure. I read it cover to cover as a supplement to my exam prep books.
Nidhi Patel
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's the best book I ever read for the basic spells used in architecture...
Ronalyn San
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: architecture
i want to have more knowledge about architecture.
Dennis Castillo
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this may help me a lot by reading this kind of book.
Reyhan Ismail
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Biarkan gambar yang berbicara.
Carlie Crowe
A visual dictionary of architecture. (1996). Wiley.

Citation by: Carlie Crowe

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Call Number: Ref 720

Content/Scope: A dictionary that can be used at the high school level, contains fundamentals terms and basic concepts.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Wiley is a publishing company now for its strengths in major academic, scientific and professional fields.

Arrangement/Presentation: Arrangement is alphabetical. Included in the 320 pages are illustrations of content along with an in
Mike
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: architecture
This is the most fantastic and complete architectural reference I have ever encountered.

No one knows all the little, pedantic architectural terms you need to study the built world. This book not only has all of them but is full of beautiful and informative illustrations. Everyone who studies architecture; students in: art history, architecture, historic preservation and engineering should have a copy of this book on hand.

Check it out from a library, see how useful it is and then go buy it.
EJ Portento
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to study architecture and just enjoy it, I'll highly recommend you this book. Really good! Although I already finished reading this, I'm sure that I'll read this over and over again.

I think this is the first ever non fiction book that I have ever give a five star to. D.K. Ching deserved it, he helped a lot of us in our field to understand it better.
Maryam Shahriari
نوشتن درباره کتابهایی که با استرس برای کنکور خوندی کار آسونی نیست. خوندنهایی که بعضاً فقط به هدف در ذهن موندن تا کنکور بوده نه در ذهن موندن تا همیشه! :|

ولی مسلماً کتاب ضروریای هست برای هر معماری که میخواد به کشف مطالب به روز دنیا (به زبانی بینالمللی) تسلط داشته باشه.

زمستان 90
Elaine
I have read this book during my review for the board exams and I found it very useful. Everything was categorized, illustrated and described for easy reference and understanding. So far, this is the best reference for students of architecture and design.
Joy
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ff
efficient
Rebecca
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A visual exploration of architectural spaces, using structures around the world. Terrific book for students of all levels.
Marco
Jun 05, 2009 added it
roof
Hennah M.
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my awesome review.
Dawn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very useful to have at hand.
Madhu murugesan
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must have book for all architects.....it's simply a bible for architecture....nothing more to say
Ron J Roy
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Visual and concise, an excellent resource for humanity.
Jonah Flor
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
the best :)
DJ Yossarian
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An indispensable reference, and just flat out fun to leaf through at random.
Donna

• Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture
  • Architecture As Space
  • The Seven Lamps of Architecture
  • The Ten Books on Architecture
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • Architects' Data
  • S, M, L, XL
  • Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
  • Thinking Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Frank (Francis D. K.) Ching (born 1943) is a widely recognized author of books addressing architectural and design graphics. Ching's books have been widely influential and continue to shape the visual language of all fields of design. He is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Washington.