Start by marking “The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie” as Want to Read:
The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie

The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie

This Halcyon Classics ebook is the AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF ANDREW CARNEGIE, a leading Scottish-American industrialist, businessman, entrepreneur and philanthropist.
Contains an active table of contents for easy navigation.
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 18th 2010 by Halcyon Press Ltd. (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie, please sign up.
Aleksa Stefanovic I believe it is:
He that cannot reason is a fool
He that will not, a bigot
He that dare not, a slave.

Start your review of The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie
Jeremiah Lorrig
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was fascinating, inspirational, and incredibly naïve.

When Carnegie is telling stories about people and moments that impacted his life, I was enthralled and inspired. He not only shows the value in little moments, but he also embraces the unique value in each person.

When Carnegie looks to the future his attitude reflects the reckless optimism of the time. An example of this is how he looks to the Kaiser of Germany to lead the world in establishing peace. He is convinced that world
Angie
Being a librarian, I have of course heard about Andrew Carnegie. Most of my knowledge, however, is about his funding of libraries. I knew very little about his early life and how he made his fortune. I am always a bit leary of autobiographies because most people are not objective when writing about themselves. Carnegie seemed to live a charmed life where everything pretty much goes his way and his way is up, up, up. He starts out in telegraphs and moves on to railroads and then on to steel and ...more
Diana Long
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing memoir of a man who was an incredible human being. Published after his death he shares his thoughts, life experiences, stories, favorite quotes. I have always associated Carnegie with libraries, rightly so but he was so much more. I would recommended this book to everyone, we have much to learn from him.
Dee Arr
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only bits of knowledge of Andrew Carnegie were a few anecdotes I had heard about him earning a fortune in the steel industry and how he later gave much of that money away. This book more than filled in the blanks, as well as providing me with an interesting read.

Mr. Carnegie began his autobiography with a history of his family in Scotland before moving on to describe their plans and eventual move to the United States. The first two-thirds of the book are mostly in chronological order,
Elasha
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'd give it 3.5 stars. Carnegie is actually a very good writer, well-versed in literacy and history and politics. If I were better versed in those things I'd have rated it higher, but the book dragged a bit for me because of all the things/places/people I didn't know much about (but probably should). I very much enjoyed learning about his life and his rise from poverty, was impressed by his work ethic and morals, and was amazed at his society - he mingled with presidents from our country and ...more
Will Thomas
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If only our leaders would read this!

In Carnegie’s day, his colleagues didn’t want him there when they were negotiating labor disputes. The horrible violence of these strikes, killing some striking laborers, happened when Carnegie was vacationing in his native Scotland. Carnegie said economy stands on a three-legged stool, and those legs are capital, management, and labor; a stable stool needs the three legs to be equal.

The facts of Carnegie’s life are fascinating. His lectures on business should
Jerrod Carter
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audible version and enjoyed it very much. The accent of the performer lent an air of authenticity to the book that I enjoyed. Liked hearing about the mans life from his own point of view. Will follow it with a less biased version at some point to see how they compare, but this was very well written and well performed.
Mary
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I enjoyed this book, especially the first part. I realized that I had heard of his accomplishments, but I didn't know that much about his early life or his later years. (I have heard people sum up his later years by saying "and he gave away all his money". There's a bit more to it than that that thankfully this book goes into.) It's written very well and was an enjoyable read. It's amazing how many important people in history he met. If you are a bit of a history buff, I think you would enjoy ...more
Turok Tucker
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is two parts, his early life and his retirement from business and of which the latter is by far more interesting. If someone has read HOW TO BE RICH by J. Paul Getty then there are considerable similarities between how the two men speak on this point. They became wealthy and tried to spend it the best way they felt possible. They both tried to be amicable to labor. Getty secured an empire of art and copyright. Carnegie gave to churches, believed wholeheartedly in the American Republic ...more
Kyle Ballard
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
First half was enjoyable to read, but the last half was awful. For heck sakes "Andy" you were one of the richest men in the 19th century, but your writing about yourself was boring....He did give lots of background on the way he came up and I did enjoy several bits of wisdom for many different situations. However, it was a tad bit boring and I don't think he was as nice to his employees as he made it:) I'm glad I read it and understand the man that made the industry in which I make a living at. ...more
Jeff
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really excellent, better than I'd expected. Carnegie is a surprisingly good author and his narrative of his life makes for a very interesting read. I'd definitely recommend it for history buffs and people who have an interest in the psychology of a turn-of-the-century industrialist.

Favorite quote, in reference to the telescope at an observatory that he sponsored: "When the monster new glass, three times larger than any existing, is in operation, what revelations are to come! I am
Teri
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, education
Intriguing book about a man who started with nothing, worked hard and valued education (in many forms), became extremely wealthy, then left all his money to charity.

He shares much about his business life from which I saved several quotes. You rarely find his kind of integrity in the business world now-a-days.
Paul
Excellent peek inside the mind of one of the giants who built the U.S. This book seems to be more an accumulation of thoughts about various points in his life and constantly references other books written earlier in his life. At times, though, the writing is a bit dry and one wonders why he's relaying these stories. But it is after all, the thoughts occupying the author's mind, and therefore, must be something he deemed worth telling.

Depending on your own mindset while reading this book, I think
Patrick Ritchie
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It's important to understand that this book was compiled from the author's incomplete notes after his death. With that context it is quite an enjoyable book, but the further you get the less it feels like a biography than a set of notes.

The early chapters are a delightful stroll through AC's early life, truly an amazing 'rags to riches' tale. Lots to learn here about taking advantage of the opportunities life presents you. Later there are some true nuggets of wisdom on how to build and run a
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting man. Before reading this I really only knew about the libraries. He had a hand in so much more and lived at such a pivotal time in our history. If only more people today acted and thought like Carnegie did.

My favorite line was probably the following: "I believe the peace of the world has little to fear from Germany." Oh, how the future unfolded.

Autobiographies are interesting too because of how bias they must be, but hold their own truth too for the person having witten it.
Matt Maples
Andrew Carnegie has an amazing story, and I will now need to find a good third-party biography to ready about him now. Autobiographies often have difficulty getting a fair perspective of things and not being biased, and that is true of this book. There is no doubt that Carnegie was a remarkable man, and he tells a good story but I suspect that he is also very kind to his own point-of-view. He also tends to jump around at times in the book which makes it somewhat difficult to follow, but I am ...more
Josiah Redding
I found Carnegie to be a fascinating person and his story was well written for the most part. Most people are probably primarily impressed by Carnegie's work after his retirement: all his bountiful gifts to charitable causes and so forth. But the last few chapters of the book that covered this area of his life left me a bit disappointed in what he became after retirement. He went from being an intelligent, hard working, and diligent pilot of a vast self-made enterprise, to kind of a silly, ...more
Dinnl
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this because a) Carnegie is a household name to me, born in the same town b) I will give a presentation on the man in a few months time.

It was written by Carnegie over a long period and edited and published by a friend after his death. There are repetitions and some glancing over the hard stuff. However, it is fascinating to read the man's own words.

As balance I will read a biography that is not always lauding.
Nabil Kania
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book. Very inspirational and an example of what to aspire to be regarding your character. This one, 'the lives of Plutarch' and the biographies on Benjamin Franklin gives you a strong foundation to build a virtuous character on. I strongly recommend it to everyone who reads for the long haul.
Richard A
I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book, in which AC's learning and business experiences were detailed, The last 2/3, whcih deals with his philanthropy and dealings with politicians, was less interesting.
Cliff
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent read. It is loaded with life lessons and sound principles. Mr. Carnegie and myself are at variance with some of his religious views, but they are not worth exploring here. (I also understand his perspective, and cannot fault him for it.)

Highly recommended.
X
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I give it three stars because it was so full of information and very historically interesting.... But it dragged a bit with all the facts and figures about the mills and the ending was too abrupt for words. Depressing.
Theo
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening book about of one of the business titans of the 19th and 20th century.
But it didn't feel like reading a book about business at all. It felt more like a one-on-one conversation with the author himself about his life, work ethic, values and importance of family and love in his life.
Lari
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goes well with Karl Marx Capital one.
Tom Rowe
Well, I finished it. Carnegie leaves Scotland. Comes to America. Becomes rich. Travels back and forth to Scotland. There are some interesting spots, and there is a lot of uninteresting stuff.
Bill Beck
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this would be boring and lack relevance to the 21st century I live in. How wrong I was. Further, I found myself intrigued by the 1914 and early World War I perspective...
Camio.Dontchaknow
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit long winded toward the end but an uplifting read about a hazy figure in my memory. Nice to have a sharper image of the guy now.
Adam Fisher
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Capitalism sure is wild
Jen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and insightful read. I got a little bogged down in the business transactions and the name dropping, but his wisdom and insight made up for it. I will likely pick this up again.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
First why three stars and not more? The writing style is more of a log of major events and not a story. Otherwise, it gives a real insight of his life and actions.

Now about his life in general. Imagine that you are a telegraph operator in early 1800. No internet, no phones, just you and the cable. You instantly become a hub of information since all data passes through you and you obtain confidential information about almost everything that moves through the cable. He brags that he was so good
« previous 1 3 next »

• Morgan: American Financier
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.
  • My Life And Work (The Autobiography Of Henry Ford)
  • The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt
  • Andrew Carnegie
  • Meet You in Hell: Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, and the Bitter Partnership That Changed America
  • Direct from Dell: Strategies that Revolutionized an Industry
  • Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart into a Visionary Leader
  • The Autobiography of Charles Darwin, 1809–82
  • The House of Morgan: An American Banking Dynasty and the Rise of Modern Finance
  • Random Reminiscences of Men and Events
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, Updated and Expanded
  • The Tycoons: How Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, Jay Gould and J.P. Morgan Invented the American Supereconomy
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man
  • A Man for All Markets
Andrew Carnegie was a Scottish American industrialist who led the enormous expansion of the American steel industry in the late 19th century. He built a leadership role as a philanthropist for America and the British Empire. During the last 18 years of his life, he gave away to charities, foundations, and universities about $350 million (in 2011, $225 billion) – almost 90 percent of his fortune. ...more
“A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind, like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine.” 8 likes
“Not only had I got rid of the theology and the supernatural, but I had found the truth of evolution.” 5 likes