Start by marking “Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure” as Want to Read:
Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure

Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure

Author Q&A with Tim Harford

Tim Harford

So are you an economic missionary, or is this just something that you love to do?

It began as something that I love to do--and I think I am now starting to get a sense of it being a mission. People can use economics and they can use statistics and numbers to get at the truth and there is a real appetite for doing so. This is such a BBC th

Published May 1st 2011 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Adapt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adapt

Daniel Namie
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
"Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure" by Tim Harford should never have developed into a book. Entertaining and inevitably true, success does and always starts with failure, but to continuously argue the point for 275 pages become cumbersome and tedious. To credit Harford's book, I did enjoy the first 100 pages, which should of stopped there. "Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure" is a much more applicable essay/thesis than a book.
Chris Dymond
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some reviewers have admonished Tim Harford for repeating the same thesis over and over again & effectively turning a whole bunch of blog posts into a book. I disagree - the parameters of adaption change with context - frequency & diversity of variation, consequences of failure, cultural appetite for experimentation, etc. - so the book doesn't so much repeat but investigate the contextual nuances of a (not particularly groundbreaking but fascinating nonetheless) initial idea. And I think ...more
Adam Wiggins
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Adapt has a clear and compelling thesis, and is strikingly well-written -- the two traits I seek most from non-fiction works.

My summary of the thesis: success in anything is best achieved through lightweight experimentation, copious failure (and the learning that goes with it), and a rigorous selection algorithm.

Stated this way, it sounds obvious, but this is the opposite of how most for-profit companies, governments, and individuals behave in their own pursuits: big investments in centralized a
Doug
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
An amalgam of Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, and the Radical Remaking of Economics and The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business (and probably a couple other books) in a much more accessible format. His basic theory is that individuals and organizations should not be afraid to fail, and in order to adapt, should 'try new things, in the expectations that some will fail; to make failure survivable, because it will be common; and to make sure ...more
Sairam Krishnan
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting thesis and supporting narrative. Tim Harford is quite a good writer. Does feel like it could have been a bit shorter, though, but not complaining. There's enough in there to provoke a lot of thought and action.
Affad Shaikh
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate this book. I found it to be profound in the way it presented failure. I am currently reading whatever books I can on failure, and find that in this particular approach by the Harford, the frame that provides an understanding to mitigate failure is the best articulated, in terms of general process.

If you accept that "failure is not an option" is an oddity of thought given how failure itself has led to so many new and exciting developments, then the question turns on what is failure?
John
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe I had a different experience with this book because of the audiobook edition that I listened to (rather than reading it). As other reviewers have said, a relatively basic, powerful and useful thesis is in play here, with a variety of different angles and things to consider...all very loosely tied to the thesis through the *heavy* use of too-diverse anecdote which is expected to be self-evident and stand on its own without being explicitly tied back to the thesis.

Additionally, new concepts
Chris
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Harford’s Adapt is all about making a product, process, or person better by trial and error. I took a class in user interface design at UCLA led by former Apple designers that demonstrated the power of starting with a quick, rough prototype then refining it based on user tests to gather feedback. This book illustrates this adaption technique with many interesting examples. If you haven’t read Harford’s prior book, The Undercover Economist, I’d recommend reading that first although these books ar ...more
Lois Keller
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting collection of anecdotal evidence to try to key on what brings long term success. It's definitely biased towards the author's thinking/exposure, but it is really interesting and I think Tim Harford has something here. Definitely a fun read about applied data science.
Bastian Greshake Tzovaras
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
«We all need a critic, and for most of us the inner critic is not nearly frank enough. We need someone who can help us hold those two jostling thoughts at the same time: 'I am not a failure - but I have made a mistake'.»

Well, ask any scientist (and especially evolutionary biologists) how they feel about failure and adapting to it and you will see why this is yet another case of preaching to the choir. All in all, this book is a long essay on why you should not only accept failure but embrace it.
Gumble's Yard
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Interesting book by The Undercover Economist. The style is a little unusual, Hartford draws on lots of examples but goes into them in a lot of detail (including clearly having interviewed many of the protagonists) so that at times the individual chapters seem more about the examples/interviewees than the actual theme.

The book’s central theme is that an adaptive/evolutionary approach which embraces safe failure is the only real way to achieve lasting success. Specifically Hartford argues against
Stephanie Thoma
Similar to Freakanomics, with late 20th century pop culture and historical accounts, and indirectly allude to learning from failure. I prefer Freakonimics (content and style) but enjoyed pieces of this book.

Some things I learned:

- ' A person who has not made peace with his losses is likely to accept gambles that would be unacceptable to him otherwise.'
This certainly explains some downward spirals/mid-life crises. A good friend, or reconnecting with common sense to cut losses is beneficial. The
Thomas Edmund
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
the general message of Adapt (and I hope this doesn't count as a SPOILER or anything - hey it is non-fiction right??) Is that in order to really succeed there needs to be some space for failure - the ability to correct mistakes, and a plan to fail safely.

Harford's theory is essentially that just as in the biological world, the financial, military and personal realms need to undergo their own evolution to succeed.

Throughout the novel, Harford examines the financial collapse of 08, the BP oil spil
William Scott
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Adapt is an easy read, with plenty of entertaining anecdotes and stories to illustrate Mr Harford’s central thesis. This makes it a bit slower for readers who just want the core ideas, but doesn't detract from the worth of those core ideas: the world is changeable and hard to predict, and in such a world strategies that focus on decentralised adaptation and experimentation are more successful.

While this central thesis is easy to state, and is largely outlined in the first few chapters, the book
Derek Winterburn
One of my favourite radio programmes is the BBC's More or Less, presented by Tim Harford. In this book Harford goes more deeply into 'how things work' with a blizzard of anecdotal case studies.

Essentially, he argues, success grows out of a process akin to Natural Selection. This leads away from seeing progress as top-down to innovation being rather wild 'in the field' (Cf. divine creation vs Darwinian evolution.)

Largely he is not thinking of individual success but something larger scale: milita
Katie
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I do proselytize a bit too much about books but this was one of the ones that I feel warranted it. Like all of these, there are a lot of anecdotes, so you are warned. Overall, I just enjoyed the implicit discussion around losing sight of the bigger purpose. There is a backlash right now over goal-setting (and rules) and I think it's because we can get so caught up in the goal or rule that we forget what the overall purpose is that we are driving toward. This illustrates that beautifully, and is ...more
thom
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting, well-written book that often explains complex economic details in very simple language (indeed, it includes one of the best explanations for the credit crunch that I've read anywhere). The premise, that setting up systems so that there is room for failure, is persuasive and Harford is the first to point out areas in which the simplest version of his theory is likely to fail, and therefore hones it as he goes. A really excellent read.
Matthew
This book was fairly unremarkable and definitely a letdown from Harford's past efforts. The example were mostly from the stock fair of non-fiction writing. The thesis is fine, but overstated and the book never really comes together. The disconnected, and unbelievably long-winded conclusion at the end is a microcosm of the whole. Not enough substance, not enough flow, not enough interest.
John Benson
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
While this book is written primarily for businesses to think about their decision making, his examples come from every aspect of life. The ideas he suggests can help in every part of life. It is somewhat like a Malcolm Gladwell book and keeps your interest.
James
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: society
I don't know who started the snappy one word title trope, but this is another book of the Gladwell mould. Captivating stories, a compelling argument, and the nagging feeling that it's just a little too neat to fit a narrative, in this case demonstrated in the final chapter in which he tries to argue this applies to an individual's life too, without any of the critical attention displayed elsewhere. The main lesson I drew was 'don't be a whistleblower'.

Although the title is 'adapt', the subtitle
Dmitry Kuriakov
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
Самая главная и популярная книга данного автора – «Экономист под прикрытием» – которой я поставил высший бал, т.к. нахожу её чрезвычайно интересной и которая очень похожа на книгу «Фрикономика», заслужила свою славу благодаря тому, что она отражает профессиональные навыки автора, что её писал человек, который профессионально занимается и разбирается в экономике. Возможно именно из-за этого, две другие книги – «Адаптируйся. Как неудачи приводят к успеху» и «Хаос. Как беспорядок меняет нашу жизнь ...more
Donald Powell
A fascinating look at decision making, failure and success. With tons of examples Mr. Hartford carefully constructs a real, but messy, theory for how "success" happens. Borrowing from evolution to Broadway productions he unequivocally advocates experimentation, open mindedness, flexibility, planning and acceptance of the human condition as the path to making life better. A very scientific approach to common sense and what are often at the core most religious teaching. While he makes no such comp ...more
Julia Smith-brake
Solid 3.5 (really wish Goodreads allowed half stars!) Loved the ideas and he is an engaging writer. But the substance-to-anecdote ratio was too low; I don't need three stories to make every point. And the chapter dealing with international development (my field) was sorely lacking. Some excellent nuggets, and I learned so much about events and innovations of the last 200 years! In the end, it's an ok book that would have made an excellent article.
Trey Malone
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this one more than I did. It has some fantastic stories woven together to make a compelling narrative. The big problem I had was that I knew most of the "meat" of the book before I read it. This would make for a solid read for someone interested in economic thinking but who did not have much training in economics. For anyone else, I'd suggest they read Harford's "Logic of Life" instead.
Paul Barnes
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evolution, business
Some similar ideas to Matt Ridley's "The Rational Optimist" and Steven Johnson's "Emergence". This hugely influenced my understanding of how the business world really works. We think we forecast and plan our way to success, but it's really about being nimble and doing more of what works on a trial-and-error basis.
Simon Howard
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this! Harford gives lots of examples of times of successes resulting from review and adaptation, and makes a good case for embracing, as opposed to rejecting, failure. He makes the often overlooked and very important case for allowing variation in systems, and not expecting constant equality - something that health systems in particular are not great at understanding.
Katka Dzubakova
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read the book twice and I enjoyed it from the start to the end. The basic idea of the book is that failure is very much needed for achieving success. He supports the idea with numerous, usually very interesting examples.
Pablo74
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Un libro brillante, con pasajes emocionantes a más no poder y muy útil si queremos aprender de cómo funciona el mundo (no sólo económico). La idea de la evolución en especies y memes y cómo aplicarla a la sociedad, a problemas muy graves; y a nuestra vida.

Michael J
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Great ideas - good book - pretty repetitive and didn’t feel like much was being added after the first few chapters.
David
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics, polisci
Another Tim Harford book I can endorse completely! Of course, in reading this book I have been put on to two other books that I must read.
  • The Great Stagnation: How America Ate All The Low-Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will (Eventually) Feel Better
  • On Second Thought: Outsmarting Your Mind's Hard-Wired Habits
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything...in Business (and in Life)
  • What Matters Now: How to Win in a World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation
  • The Hour Between Dog and Wolf: Risk Taking, Gut Feelings and the Biology of Boom and Bust
  • Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty
  • The Failure of Risk Management: Why It's Broken and How to Fix It
  • Everything is Obvious: Once You Know the Answer
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
  • Think Twice: Harnessing the Power of Counterintuition
  • Race Against The Machine
  • The Smart Swarm: How Understanding Flocks, Schools, and Colonies Can Make Us Better at Communicating, Decision Making, and Getting Things Done
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • The Accidental Theorist and Other Dispatches from the Dismal Science
  • The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters
  • Fixing the Game: Bubbles, Crashes, and What Capitalism Can Learn from the NFL
  • Wait: The Art and Science of Delay
  • The Logic of Failure: Recognizing and Avoiding Error in Complex Situations
Tim Harford is a member of the Financial Times editorial board. His column, “The Undercover Economist”, which reveals the economic ideas behind everyday experiences, is published in the Financial Times and syndicated around the world. He is also the only economist in the world to run a problem page, “Dear Economist”, in which FT readers’ personal problems are answered tongue-in-cheek with the late ...more
“Pluralism matters because life is not worth living without new experiences - new people, new places, new challenges. But discipline matters too; we cannot simply treat life as a psychedelic trip through a series of novel sensations.” 16 likes
“Accepting trial and error means accepting error. It means taking problems in our stride when a decision doesn't work out, whether through luck or misjudgment. And that is not something human brains seem to be able to do without a struggle.” 12 likes