Start by marking “Digestive Wellness: Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion” as Want to Read:

The definitive guide to healthy digestion!

Digestive Wellness explains how your digestive system works and what to do when it doesn't. You'll find practical solutions to all the common gastrointestinal disorders (and many other conditions) and expert guidance on the newest advances in testing and diagnosis, nutrition, and natural therapies. Plus, you'll learn how faulty
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 434 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Digestive Wellness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digestive Wellness

Start your review of Digestive Wellness: Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
Doris Jean
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all but with a dose of scepticsm. Do your own independent verification.
page 262, line 2: "...low-fat, low-calorie diets increase your risk of developing gallstones".
page 263, line 5: "Low-fat diets help prevent gallstones..."
and on
-page 275, line 33: "Gluten is found in...millet..."
page 276, line 7: "Gluten-free..include...millet..."
These kinds of errors were throughout the book. Also, many memes were gratuitously thrown in without basis.
I do recommend it since there are not enough better alternative books. Just double-check everything you decide to use.
Elise
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, health
In my early teens, I was diagnosed with a digestive/autoimmune disorder that changed the way I had to approach food. However, I neglected to really be careful about the types of food I ate and a few years ago, my diagnosis progressed into something slightly worse. After the horrible experience I went through to discover that, it seemed to be the kick I needed to make my health a priority. As a result, I enjoy researching what I can do to maintain a healthy digestive and immune system and this ...more
Jillita
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My poor body! No wonder my immune system is so messed up and I'm burdened with chronic fatigue. I was recently diagnosed with leaky gut, candida, overabundance of other bad gut bacteria, and food allergies and consequently put on a strict diet and probiotic regime to fix this, which is going quite well. In the meantime this book does a stellar job explaining what probably led to this state and what I can do to have a happy gut and healthy life again. A not overly-scientific read so it's great ...more
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent and unbiased primer on digestive health and also a terrific reference book on various ailments that have digestive roots or connections. Lipski provides a broad view of various therapies for treating digestive issues. For each ailment, she offers many suggestions for treatment that are mostly based on nutritional supplements, using food as medicine, or herbal treatments. She doesn't prescribe any specific one diet or solution. Instead, she emphasizes the importance of ...more
Trisha
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was jam packed full of information about many symptoms and conditions brought on with the "unwell" gut. There are many scenarios and examples of different experiences she has had treating the gut. Elim diets are discussed and suggestions for supplements good foods to get you back to health. This will be a good reference.
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-books
This book contains good solid information and could absolutely really help improve the health of a lot of people.

This book was good, but not as good as the book on this topic by Dr Sherry Rogers which I found far more thorough. That book was excellent and so I would recommend it over this one. If all your library has is this book however, it is well worth a read and makes many important points.

Also worth reading are books on the SCD eating plan and the GAPS diet, if you have serious gut issues
This is a pretty good resource, especially for people struggling with an autoimmune disorder and seeking help through functional medicine. There are a few inconsistencies, and occasionally the advice isn't backed up by solid evidence--which she points out herself, so it's not like she's trying to sell snake oil. One of the biggest risks is that you might read this and think you've got even more disorders than you thought you had to begin with. For that reason, I recommend using this book in ...more
Michele
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really a mini-encyclopedia of how you can improve your digestive wellness and, in the process, a lot of problems and serious illnesses that ail you. It is honestly the first place where I've seen someone connect the dots with things like digestive health and rosacea but on reading it all, it makes perfect sense. I wish I could get some people I know to change their diets and see if some of their health problems would go away. If you're interested in autism, ADD, and ADHD, you should buy ...more
Caroline Mathews
I read Digestive Wellness in conjunction with The Inside Tract by Gerard E. Mullin. I don't know how lucky I was, out of all the books that Amazon recommends to me, to find just what I was wanting/needing/hoping for! I am not disappointed!

I'm using this book as a reference to holistic and herbal remedies and other methods of developing an individual program of digestive well-being. Lipski's explanations of digestive diseases and self-care practices are worth downloading the book!

I have a
Sam
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
3rd Edition, 2005. Outdated (2018). I felt instructions were slightly useless. I spoke to my Dr. about a few things I read and not much aligned. What I did like about this book is its suggestion of color coding your food diary to help balance your diet. It lost me when it told me to be a vegetarian. Lol.
Ann Bredemeier
very detailed and informative...a didn't read the whole book thoroughly since parts of it didn't pertain to me at all
Hayaalsadah
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very resourceful book on all aspects of digestion. If you want to understand the way your digestive system wants to communicate with you, then you have to read this book. I assume it was written for the regular reader, who only needs to understand the digestive system & how to deal with the most basic signs. It's a great resource for everyone, Elizabeth Lipski offers many alternative treatments for any digestive condition, as a preventative way to maintain the health of your digestive ...more
Andrea
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review from a nutrition student: This book is great! It offers a plethora of information and detail, which I love and really look for in this genre of books. Causes, symptoms, and treatment, and the mechanisms of each are all included. It is such a great source for all digestion-related health and disease information, which is of course related to so many other health problems. Essentially a textbook, but so much better because it has room for all the things a textbook may not, and the author's ...more
Astrid
Jun 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A well-written, enjoyable, at times humourous book about the digestive system and how to keep it healthy. Introduces basic concepts about food and anatomy first, then delves into specific health concerns and how to care for them using nutrition and supplements. Even if you are not experiencing digestive upsets, you could benefit from this book, as Lipski points out connections between digestive health and overall wellness. One of the best nutrition books I've ever read. Highly recommended.
Jes
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well researched and full of compelling information. I have so many questions for my doctor! :) it's amazing to me that 70% of the immune system is located in the digestive system! And it's crazy how what we eat affects EVERYTHING. Literally, every system in your body. Hoping this information will help me move toward further healing!
Adrienne
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn more about how to better support your digestive system this is one of the best books I've read. Covers everything from food/environmental sensitivities, candida, crohn's disease, etc and how those are related to your digestion.
Diana
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book to learn more about your digestive system and how to keep it healthy. If you have a chronic condition I highly recommend this book. There are more current versions of this book and I look forward to reading the updated version.
Vasilis
The first part of the book is a great introduction to how your digestive system works, what's happening with all the bacteria and what you should look out for. The next part goes all over the place, mostly looks like pseudoscience and could be omitted entirely.
Heather
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had some GI (gastrointestinal) problems and this book was very insightful. Has a lot of natural remedies for common "gut" problems. Good for anyone who is having problems from IBS, colitis, ulcers, to Chron's.
Josh
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Great if you want a list of solutions to a problem. There was a little more biology than I can follow; I think I expected something else.
Tali
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone with IBS or other digestive issues. Also good for future RD's like me.
Emily Cerda
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will be taking class with Liz next semester and I *cannot* wait! She is a wealth of information with easy-to-understand explanations and a warm delivery.
Jess Macallan
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition-health
I'd give this book 5 stars if research and sources had been cited. Overall good info for anyone looking to heal through nutrition.
Lisa
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This took me forever to read. That being said it has a lot of interesting information in it.
Hali
Jun 16, 2014 added it
Skimmed through this book and picked out what I thought was useful. Great reference book!
Megan
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This gave me lots of very helpful information.
Julie
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth owning. Great information!
Amberjean
Good general survey from a functional medicine perspective, summarizing a lot of the themes in many other books I've read.
Martha
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4th edition = 2012 almost total rewrite of 1996; so much new info
Sonali
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition
A must have for folks dealing with digestive concerns!
they actually now I'm glad I sponsorship right 1 2 Jan 05, 2016 09:52PM

• The Toxin Solution: How Hidden Poisons in the Air, Water, Food, and Products We Use Are Destroying Our Health--AND WHAT WE CAN DO TO FIX IT
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • Your Body in Balance: The New Science of Food, Hormones, and Health
  • Popular Music and National Culture in Israel
  • The One One One Diet: The Simple 1:1:1 Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
  • Wired to Connect: The Surprising Link Between Brain Science and Strong, Healthy Relationships
  • Food: What the Heck Should I Eat?
  • Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ
  • The Disease Delusion: Conquering the Causes of Chronic Illness for a Healthier, Longer, and Happier Life
  • Dirty Genes: A Breakthrough Program to Treat the Root Cause of Illness and Optimize Your Health
  • Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve: Self-Help Exercises for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma, and Autism
  • Quiet Strength: The Faith, the Hope, and the Heart of a Woman Who Changed a Nation
  • Hope for the Flowers