Start by marking “A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy” as Want to Read:

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  891 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
As Catholics, the Mass is the center of our Faith. We celebrate it every day. We know all the responses. We know all the gestures. But do we know what it all means?
Published January 1st 2011 by Ascension Press (first published January 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Biblical Walk Through the Mass

Ann Busbey
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a cradle Catholic who attended Catholic school you wouldn't think I'd find this book worthwhile. But you'd be wrong. Edward Sri brings you step by step through the Mass and explains the biblical basis for all the parts of the Mass. He also explains the recent change in language and how it more closely represents the original Latin. No one likes change and I have struggled a bit with the new verbiage but this book gave me a greater appreciation for the changes.

We get so accustom to the routine
Emerson John Tiu Ng
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
...after reading this book... I will never see or experience the Holy Mass the same again... it educates the reader the significance of each part of the Mass based on its Biblical roots...
Julie Davis
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lead us not into temptation: This petition is not so much a prayer to avoid all trials and temptations in life. The biblical words express a request that God not allow us to enter into temptation in the sense of giving in to it. It is a prayer that God would strengthen us to overcome the temptations we face. Pope Benedict XVI taught that in this petition, it is as if we are saying to God, "I know that I need trials so that my nature can be purified. When you decide to send me those trials ... th
Jeff Miller
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy is a new book by Edward Sri that does dual duty as both an overview of the Mass and a introduction to new English translation of the Mass.

There are a lot of books on the Mass and most of them concentrate of the Liturgy of the Eucharist or focus on the mass via some lens. This book is more general in that it goes through each part of the Mass and gives a solid overview and touching on theology in a way that will ope
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-list, favorites
I thought I'd have to endure this book, and I started it because I'm fascinated with the upcoming changes in the Roman missal. Having heard the author interviewed, I had hopes, but nothing prepared me for the passion and beauty of this book. Sri writes with a tenderness about the Mass and reminded me of what I so love about the Eucharist. Behind the facts contained in this book is the deep water of true love for Jesus. Highly recommended.
booklady
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Catholics
Finished this back in September when I was preparing for our parish education program for the implementation New Roman Missal. Enjoyed it very much. Have actually read some parts of it several times and consider it a valuable resource. Dr. Sri knows Sacred Scripture and taught me a lot. The DVD series which goes along with it is also excellent.
Katie Maggs
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource for anyone who is looking to learn more about the Mass, whether they are a cradle Catholic or newly entering the faith.

The Catholic Mass is formulaic, which is part of it's beauty; it is said in the same order and with the same words throughout the world and has been for centuries (with some reformulation after Vatican II). This makes it both accessible and easy to take for granted. We learn how to participate by rote and can share in the fellowship of the Mass without
Nick Such
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a 31-year-old cradle Catholic, I've attended Mass at least 1500 times. I've found myself like a fish in water: I don't notice so much of what's happening around me during Mass. After reading this book, I now can't miss powerful phrases like "we dare to say" preceding the Our Father. From my schoolyard days til now, one has ever "dared" me to say this prayer, but this book explains why this prayer was such a bold statement for the time. Claiming adoption as Children of God, through brotherhood ...more
Dave Gonzalez
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you ever wanted to understand or better appreciate the beauty of Catholic Mass, this short book is for you. The author guides you through Mass, linking each step to The Bible, the practices of early Christian communities, and the life and saving mission of Jesus. You’ll see the Mass as a memorial, a reenactment, and a shared experience with all Christians living and passed, while learning the interesting background for each prayer and rite. Highly recommended, if you are interested.
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so interesting! It takes every single thing spoken in the mass and explains why we Catholics say and do what we say and do, connecting all of it back to the Bible or to ancient Jewish culture. If you’re interested at all in the way Mass is celebrated, give this a read. Believer or not.
Phillip Gonzales
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An eye opening look at what many lifelong Catholics take for granted.

It explores the biblical significance of all the major components that comprise the Mass and its importance to our spiritual well being.
Peggy
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

This book is a wonderful walk through the Mass that all Catholics should read. It explains in depth everything said and done in the Mass. I will
Be reading this book several times to find all the rich nuggets it has to offer.

David C.faulkner
THE MASS

AS A WANT TO BE CATHOLIC THIS BOOK EXPLAINED THE MASS IN A WAY THAT HAS IMPROVED MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE MASS AND THE CATHOLIC FAITH THANK YOU
Esther Goh
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very easy to read walk through of the mass that provides profound new appreciation of the Eucharistic Celebration!
Javier Cortez
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great way to get in touch with the Catholic mass. Well written, great ties back to Scripture.
Janet K
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. I was born and raised Catholic, and I still learned a lot from this book. It gave explanations for things that I always saw and experienced during Mass, but maybe never knew the explanation for why we do some of the things we do. It was interesting and informative and I felt that I attended Mass with a new "eye" after reading this.
Zachary
Feb 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mediocre
Dr. Edward Sri is a popularizer - unfortunately, popularizers are far more dangerous than acedemic theologians.

The Mass is absolutely, fundamentally, undeniably a holy sacrifice. It is true that it is also a gathering, a reception of Christ, a wedding banquet - but it is all these things as a sacrifice. That is to say, the Mass is a Sacrificial gathering; a Sacrificial reception of Christ; a Sacrificial wedding banquet. Dr. Sri certainly does not deny that the Mass is a sacrifice, but his presen
Carol
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic! Wish I had read this years ago. Most informative study of the Mass. Shared in two separate study groups and learned so much spiritually.
Steven Dzwonczyk
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This was the text book for a class I recently took at my Church. It was very informative and certainly helps you to look at the Mass with fresh eyes. I read it on the eve of the upcoming changes to the Mass, which are intended to return to a more close interpretation of the Latin Mass.

Edward Sri is a learned and insightful author, though I must say that, having viewed the companion DVD, he is a more dynamic speaker than writer. Still, his style is captivating and serves to educate in a way that
Susan
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book and the accompanying workbook and DVDs are the materials for a six-week study of the new translation (from Latin into English) of the Roman Missal that my parish is doing to get us ready for its implementation on November 27, 2011. We have learned so much not only about the new translations of the prayers, but also about the Biblical roots of so many parts of the Mass that we see and do Sunday after Sunday, but maybe didn't always know why. All of the materials are interesting, informa ...more
Amanda
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic-authors
A wonderful book that breaks down the meaning of every prayer and gesture in the holy mass and offers insight into the mysteries of faith. The book also highlights the similarities in the Old and New Testament, namely stating (according to St. Augustine) how "God brought it about that the New should be hidden in the Old and that the Old should be manifest in the New. For, although Christ founded the New Covenant in his blood...still the books of the Old Testament, all of them caught up into the ...more
Zabrina
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
So far it is a clear, easy read. I haven't had any big AHA! moments, but I'm not a beginner in my faith studies. Some things are presented in a little different perspective that I've discovered yet. I really like having reference sources of the Mass laid out so they will be quick to find again if I forget something. It is a great book to read if you haven't thought about your faith as an adult and it is a great book to have on the shelf next to the Bible and Catechism for quick reference.

Big plu
Argum
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I would put this book more in the primer category than an in depth study. This simple book is updated to the new translation and is a piece by piece walk through of the Mass. Each action and prayer are discussed and the scriptural roots described and cited. Clear and concise, but not without substance. It is an excellent first step for the cradle Catholic who takes things for granted and a nice resource if someone makes a simple and common objection to the liturgy with its ritual from some of ou ...more
Ryan
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truly an incredible and insightful look into why and what we do at mass. Mr. Sri is very articulate yet concise in his explanations, and it was a true pleasure to use his book as a stepping stone into a scriptural study. Although I have only been Catholic for a little over a year now, Mr. Sri really helped me to "see" what was going on with a new set of eyes. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of the mass, or those who would like to see more of a biblical/scrip ...more
Abby
Aug 25, 2013 added it
Though obviously directed at Catholics (I'm not), this is probably the book I've been after since I attended my first mass. Dr. Sri has written a short, direct and heartfelt explanation that highlights the debt owed to the traditions and theology of biblical (Iron Age and first century) Judaism. He also wields the extra-biblical writings of early Christians with good effect. Thank goodness for introductions as solid and sincere as this one.
Brendan Steinhauser
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for Catholics who want a deeper understanding of the mass. This book explains the biblical foundations of the mass, in great detail. If you would like to learn more about why we celebrate the liturgy the way we do, read this book. If you are not Catholic, but want to understand the Catholic mass better, this book is a great way to do so. I highly recommend "A Biblical Walk Through the Mass."
James
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I am starting this book on January 8, 2011, as preparation for implementing the new translation of the Mass starting this coming Advent. I hope to use the insights in this book to help clearly explain the changes that are coming to my parishioners. I also hope to include a section of my podcast "Catholic Creativity" to these explanations.

Excellent review of the Mass, incorporating the new translations. Wonderful insights! Highly recommended!!!
Thadeus
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was definitely a quick read. At the same time, holds a lot of information and does a great job of providing biblical context to each part of the mass. I would suggest it for any cradle Catholic that has not spent much time in adult formation, or any non-Catholic wanting to learn more about Catholic worship.

Recommended.
John
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent walk through the biblical roots of the mass. However, footnotes are scattered, and there is not enough discussion about how The mass changed over time. I also wish that there had been a stronger conclusion, as the book ends very abruptly, with no real clear summary of findings or ways to further study the subject.
Amy
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I like the fast pace of this book - a very no-nonsense, no extra stuff, approach. Every Catholic needs a boost like this occasionally, to remind us of the profundity of our faith, and the awesomeness of the Mass. I highly recommend this for anyone who wants a basic skin-and-bones outline of what the Mass really means.

Oh, and it's a quick read too! Only 148 pages!
What are the "take aways" from reading this book? 4 10 Aug 25, 2013 01:23PM
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • The Fathers
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • Time for God: A Guide to Mental Prayer
  • The Soul of The Apostolate
  • The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic: How Engaging 1% of Catholics Could Change the World
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots
  • Theology for Beginners
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
Dr. Edward Sri is a nationally-known speaker on Scripture and Catholicism and the author of several best-selling books. Besides teaching at the Augustine Institute, Sri is a visiting professor at Benedictine College and a contributor to the popular apologetics series, Catholic for a Reason. Sri is also a founding leader with Curtis Martin of FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students).

He al

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“liturgical memorial brings the past and present together, making the long-ago event mystically present for the current generation.” 0 likes