Start by marking “Taliesin: Book One of the Pendragon Cycle” as Want to Read:
Taliesin: Book One of the Pendragon Cycle

Taliesin: Book One of the Pendragon Cycle (The Pendragon Cycle #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  13,877 Ratings  ·  531 Reviews
A magnificent epic of cataclysmic upheaval and heroic love in a breathless age of mythic wonders

It was a time of legend, when the last shadows of the mighty Roman conqueror faded from the captured Isle of Britain. While, across a vast sea, bloody war shattered a peace that had flourished for two thousand years in the doomed kingdom of Atlantis.

From the award-winning author
Published October 13th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Taliesin, please sign up.

Tandy Brown Yes, I would think so. I read these before I saw the show Merlin and after watching the 5 seasons of Merlin, it is has inspired me to go back and…moreYes, I would think so. I read these before I saw the show Merlin and after watching the 5 seasons of Merlin, it is has inspired me to go back and re-read this series. The first one in the series, Taliesan, is a bit slower than the other 4 but if you can get through it, it sets the stage well for the others. (less)

Krista
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all of the great books I've read around the King Arthur legend, this is my favorite. It is acutally about Merlin's parents, and involves the lost city of Atlantis and it is a beautiful but sad love story. At least that is what I feel when I remember the book; it has been years since I read it. [time passes:] I just looked it up to see if it is still in print, which it is. And what's more interesting is that the description on Amazon talks of a message and symbolism in the story akin to C.S. L ...more
Werner
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Arthurian fantasy; Lawhead fans or fantasy fans in general
Recommended to Werner by: It was a common read in one of my groups
Shelves: fantasy
While the above Goodreads description of this book reads like it was a publisher's book-jacket blurb (and it probably was!), the basic description of the premise of this series opener is correct --and aside from its overwrought language, the implied assessment isn't far off the mark, either, as my rating shows. (If I could give half stars, I'd probably have added one.)

That isn't to say that there aren't eye-rolling flaws here. Atlantis, according to Plato (who apparently created the legend out o
Leila Bowers
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This five-book series is entitled The Pendragon Cycle, and I will review them all here. I have now taken and taught classes on King Arthur, and this stands as my favorite treatment of the legend. Lawhead is one of my favorite authors anyway, and he does his homework. His writing reflects the oddity of the many Arthurian source texts - Merlin is always problematic, the hugely variable character of Arthur, Guinevere's choices and actions,etc.

Considering if Arthur existed he likely lived around 400
Shiloh
Lawhead's Pendragon cycle gets off to a rocky start with Taliesin. Perhaps it's that I set the bar too high, expecting great things from such a renowned author, or perhaps it's that I'm reading the cycle for my dissertation and hence got overly critical, but either way, the book suffers from poor writing, poor plotting, and a few major historical inaccuracies that ruined it for me.

The writing: passive voice abounds. The dialogue is stilted. The characters are two-dimensional and hardly have any
Joe
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first review here so I thought I would start with one that has meant the most to me. I was blown away from the very start. Stephen Lawhead writes with such a passion for his characters in this book frankly I was surprised. He has taken something that is so familiar and, judging by the many other adaptaions of the Arthurian legend, breathed wonderful new life into it. Taliesin is the seldom told story of the Druid singer Taliesin. Forebear of Merlin who later became teacher, advisor a ...more
Jonathan
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Porius reminded me how much I liked this book when I was 12 or 13 and got it from a little bookshop in North Wales. I figure if it stayed with me this long, it must be worth 4 stars at least.
Paul Schulzetenberg
Two stars is a bit harsh for this book, as Lawhead deftly weaves together two separate storylines for much of the book. Charis, our female protagonist in Atlantis, lives some interesting family drama. Meanwhile, Taliesin, our male counterpart, is growing up in Britain as a wunderkind with destiny written all over him. As the cover so coyly tells us, there is a love story coming, and we the readers are left with a surprising amount of tension as we are attempting to figure out how, exactly, these ...more
Jacob Aitken
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Begin your Lawhead reading here. In my humble opinion this is Lawhead's best, least cyclical work of the Pendragon series. From reading the other reviews you probably have a plot summary of what's going on. Thus, I won't bore you with them.

THE GOOD ASPECTS OF THE BOOK (and the first few books in the series)
Since no one rightly knows what, if anything, happened to the City of Atlantis, mankind is free to speculate and write fiction about it. The author is to be commended for his retelling of the
Lauren Stoolfire
Epic historical fantasy series opener! I loved seeing Arthurian legend begin to come together with Merlin's parents - Charis, a princess of Atlantis who just managed to escape the devastation, and Taliesin, a druid Prince and talented seer. If you're interested in Arthurian legend, you have to try this novel. Now, I need to get my hands on the sequel!
Richard Derus
Rating: 2* of five

The Publisher Says: It was a time of legend, when the last shadows of the mighty Roman conqueror faded from the captured Isle of Britain. While across a vast sea, bloody war shattered a peace that had flourished for two thousand years in the doomed kingdom of Atlantis.

Taliesin is the remarkable adventure of Charis, the Atlantean princess who escaped the terrible devastation of her homeland, and of the fabled seer and druid prince Taliesin, singer at the dawn of the age. It is t
The Challenge Fac...: Maya & Krissy - Taliesin 5 10 Jul 01, 2016 05:03PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: Nov 2013 - Taliesin by Stephen R. Lawhead 6 37 Dec 06, 2013 02:04PM
  • Firelord (Firelord, #1)
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1)
  • Queen of Camelot (Queen of Camelot #1-2)
  • The Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • Hawk of May  (Down the Long Wind, #1)
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • The Dragon and the Unicorn (Arthor, #1)
  • The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • Dragon's Child (King Arthur, #1)
  • Sword at Sunset
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Pendragon Cycle (6 books)
  • Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2)
  • Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #3)
  • Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)
  • Grail (The Pendragon Cycle, #5)
  • Avalon: The Return of King Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #6)
“...tell me the word that will win you, and I will speak it. I will speak the stars of heaven into a crown for your head; I will speak the flowers of the field into a cloak; I will speak the racing stream into a melody for your ears and the voices of a thousand larks to sing it; I will speak the softness of night for your bed and the warmth of summer for your coverlet; I will speak the brightness of flame to light your way and the luster of gold to shine in your smile; I will speak until the hardness in you melts away and your heart is free...” 79 likes
“They are young and life has no limits. Nothing is impossible, nothing beyond doing or knowing. The world is theirs and everything in it.” 15 likes