Start by marking “The Pilgrim Glass” as Want to Read:
The Pilgrim Glass

The Pilgrim Glass

The Pilgrim Glass is the story of an artist, a priest, and a photographer, and the restoration of a stained glass one summer in Vézelay, France. This is no ordinary glass, however; it has a strange, almost hypnotic effect on them, changing them in positive and destructive ways.

Jonas Flycatcher, a well-respected but prickly artisan is contracted to repair a stained glass
Published November 22nd 2010 by Lulu

To ask other readers questions about The Pilgrim Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pilgrim Glass

Start your review of The Pilgrim Glass
Anna Graham
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Characters enthused with strengths and foibles enrich this story layered with spiritual truths and deep anguish. Julie K. Rose winds the modern French countryside with a pilgrim's ancient wanderings in this tale of self-recrimination and forgiveness. Especially enjoyable is the honesty within the novel, as Rose builds to a complex and charged conclusion, holding the reader's attention right to the last page. With fine detail and expressive language, Rose weaves disjointed personas into a tight ...more
Lisa Yarde
Author Julie K. Rose immerses booklovers in the colorful word of medieval stained glass repair, with her lauded debut novel, The Pilgrim Glass. Set predominantly in Vézelay, France, the novel begins as Jonas Flycatcher receives a call from UNESCO, inviting him to restore a fragile image of the Magdalene in ancient Romanesque cathedral of Saint-Marie-Madeleine de Vézelay. Three days later, Jonas arrives albeit without his luggage and restoration tools in a quaint village, once associated with ...more
Lisa
I loved this story! I was initially drawn to it by the book's title. The very name, The Pilgrim Glass, had me envisioning medieval cathedrals illuminated with the beautifully filtered light of stained glass, and it ignited my deep fascination for this intriguing period of history.

Julie K. Rose weaves a beautiful tale that combines mystery, intrigue, romance, deep, profound loss, and forgiveness. I was drawn to the characters because of their flaws and deep, personal wounds. They were real and I
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I read it pretty quickly as I couldn't put it down. Jonas Flycatcher (how great is that name?) is charged with fixing the stained glass window of Mary Magadalene in the church in Vezelay, France. He's instantly taken with Meredith, a gorgeous photographer, who is hiding something.

The setting is fantastic. I've never been to France but had no problem envisioning how the French countryside might look or the awe I may feel taking in the gorgeous stained glass windows in
Angela
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: given-away
The Pilgrim Glass is a book filled with beautiful scenic descriptions and with damaged people. Each of the main characters carries with them wounds from their pasts which refuse to heal. In examining the story of the stained glass and wondering about its creator, they also take a journey in examining their own histories and perhaps starting on a path of healing. I really enjoyed all the characters because they were so flawed. I was interested in why they were the way they were. If anything, I ...more
Cindy
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed The Pilgrim Glass. It did exactly what I always hope a book will do: make me want to meet the characters and visit the locale. I'm not Catholic, and I have a rather different understanding of Mary Magdalene, but that didn't detract from the lovely experience of meeting Jonas and the rest of the characters who were delightfully flawed and interesting.

The one truly unique thing Julie did with this story was to make color an actual character. Everything is oriented around
Denise, a ScribbleManiac
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In The Pilgrim Glass, Julie Rose has created a compelling story filled with characters that stay with you, long after the book is finished. I was drawn into the story, and found the book hard to put down... I simply needed to know what was going to happen next!

The characters are interesting and relatable in their imperfections, making them all the more real. The mystery of the stained glass itself is irresistible, mystical and intriguing.

Relationships, art, faith, passion, coping with past
Julie Bozza
I bought this book for the beautiful and elegantly designed cover. Unfortunately the text formatting inside isn't so elegant, and lets down the story. However! The novel is a good read, with interesting stuff about stained glass restoration, a great setting in France, and a strong supernatural / historical element. A bit angsty and dramatic for my tastes, but I'm glad I read it - and hell I still love that cover!

ETA: The author is classy enough to have contacted me and asked about the
Heather Domin
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! I read this book around the time it won finalist at the Faulkner-Wisdom awards in 2005, and I've had a crush on Jonas ever since. Literary fiction is not my usual cuppa, but Julie has interwoven her story with threads of litfic, magical realism, historical fiction, romance, and speculative fiction to create a true work of love. I'm happy to finally be able to replace my stack of printed paper with a shiny new paperback.
Cilla Clare
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
This is not my usual type of read – I am normally a fantasy or sci-fi gal, but it came highly recommended by a friend, and so I thought I’d give it a try. I certainly don’t regret picking up an e-book version of Julie K. Rose’s “The Pilgrim Glass”.

Read more of my review at my blog: Tea & Magic.

Judy
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm more of a historical fiction kind of gal, but I loved "The Pilgrim Glass". I have such a crush on Jonas--smoky, grubby, talented Jonas with all his issues. All of Rose's characters are mysterious and damaged and talented in their own way, and finding out how the Pilgrim Glass affects each one of them, for good or ill, was part of the fun of reading this novel.
Ellen
Mar 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Can not figure out why people actually liked this book. Lots of eating at the same old cafe, smoking, and not much else... I liked the idea of the book but never came to fruition...
Zoe
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I got really annoyed by the use of " he/she folded his/ her arms" phrase all over the story ....I lost count.The format for kindle it's really disappointing.
Terri M.
The Pilgrim Glass by Julie K. Rose was featured in The Fussy Librarian recently. I was drawn to the book because of its cover and its connection to church history, France and stained glass. A mysterious stained glass window is discovered in a church in Vezelay, France and three individuals are brought together by its discovery.
I really struggled with this novel. It held so much potential and in the end, I was disappointed. Throughout the novel, I felt not enough information was given about the
Elli
Actually 3.5 rating if I could. It is exciting and has it's draw although it bogged down at times. The descriptions of the countryside, of the weather, it's effect, the wine country and all the externals were very effective. The story is told as a time warp but the characters are clear. The major find of an unusual stained glass panel is found. Everyone has a stake in it, the individuals in the town, the religious in the area, the prominent townspeople and of the province. Alot of hope is put ...more
Bobby
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not the biggest fan of romance...not the biggest reader of Art...thus the combination of the two would lead one to believe I would have abandoned this one early on, but not the case. Well written and just enough of the supernatural to hold my interest until the story really kicks in. Enjoyed it immensely and found Meredith, Jonas and Dubay complimented each other in an intriguing and desperate manner. Thumbs up.
JK
Nov 12, 2012 added it
This is a gorgeous book. Gorgeous descriptions, gorgeous settings, gorgeous centrepiece in the form of the glass. The characters are flawed, human, each of them driven together by the glass as they try to work through the mysteries and tragedies of their pasts. After a leisurely start drawing us into the process of restoration, the book picked up pace and became very difficult to step away from, drawing me into the surprisingly suspenseful conclusion.
Andie
Mar 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
To be fair, I only got 6% into the book before I simply could not invest another moment reading such drivel, so it's possible that it radically improves - but I doubt it.

The caricatured characters, implausible dialogue, trite imagery, and self-conscious, repetitive description is beneath even my 12-year-old.

There are too many really good reads out there to waste your time on this one.
Terry
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this book very much. I loved the setting and felt I was there in the city of Vezelay. The description of the cathedral was amazing. I could actually feel the cold as you entered the doors. Wonderful characterization.
Robert Nelson
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the mystery Rose weaves between centuries in the Burgundy region of France, combining historical fiction with a large dollop of parallel universes. The book left me turning page after page for more, but hoping it wouldn't end.
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting premise and liked the setting and background for the book; didn't entirely think the characters stories were as well carried out as they could have been.
Wendy
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2014
Enjoyed reading this with Kelly this spring. A quick read, but a different author than usual.
Ailish
Sarawenn
Dec 06, 2013
Brabis
Jan 15, 2011
Julie K. Rose is an author of historical fiction, fascinated by stories and settings slightly off the beaten track. From 12th century Burgundy in The Pilgrim Glass, to early 20th century Norway in Oleanna, to 1930s Tunisia in Dido's Crown, she has a deep love for history and a terrible case of wanderlust. Her love of language, history, and art history led her to degrees in Humanities and English – ...more