Start by marking “Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #2)” as Want to Read:
Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #2)

Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #2)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  789 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Leaving the Hillside manor in capable hands, bed-and-breakfast hostess Judith McMonigle heads north to Vancouver's Hotel Clovia with her irrepressibly voracious cousin Renie for a pre-Thanksgiving getaway. But when an addled and impoverished popcorn vendor is murdered -- along with his foul-mouthed pet parakeet -- a local copper's suspicious gaze settles on the two visitin ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Fowl Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fowl Prey

Kristen
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-cozy, 2017
In Mary Daheim's Fowl Prey, the second installment in the Bed-and-Breakfast Cozy mystery series, this cozy will compel you to keep on reading to the last page. It's a few days before the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, when Judith McConigle and her cousin Serena "Renie" Jones head to Canada for a brief respite. When they arrived in the Hotel Clovia, Judith bumped into an old high school friend named Maria. Due to a mix-up with registrations, Maria offered them a room on the fifth floor, due to the ...more
M
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very imaginative writing; I lost interest. Insultingly full of thinly disguised names of places in Seattle and Vancouver BC.
Monique
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned-book
honestly....these books are dead boring for me. It took a full month(!!) to read two of them. I think I'll delete the rest off my Kindle.
Kyle
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fairly by the numbers Cozy Mystery, but I found the dialog to be good, and the characters were interesting. I finished it in about 3 hours, and it kept me turning the pages through the end to see how things were going to turn out for our heroes Renie and Judith.
The Badger
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Allan Krummenacker
This is the 2nd installment of the long running Bed and Breakfast Mysteries and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped. The protagonists, two middle aged women who are cousins, are great foils for each other with their banter and sharp wit. Having grown up like sisters, they know each others habits, temperaments and strengths. They also naturally share a long family history and deep understanding of one another. Together they make a formidable amateur sleuth team.

In this story, while on a trip to
Christyn
While I'm still not sure about the characters, I will say one thing, Daheim certainly knows how to write a mystery. There are enough twists and turns, red herrings and skeleton's in closets to keep the mystery going strong throughout the book. I don't particularly mind the twists and convoluted relationships, I do however wish that the characters were more three-dimensional. Perhaps they get better in future books, but I just don't click with them. Yes I have moments where I like them, don't li ...more
Dharia Scarab
Not my style, but I picked up most of the series at a thrift store so I'll try to give it another chance.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out
LJ
FOWL PREY - Ok
Daheim, Mary - 2nd in Bed-and-Breakfast series

Leaving the Hillside manor in capable hands, bed-and-breakfast hostess Judith McMonigle heads north to Vancouver's Hotel Clovia with her irrepressibly voracious cousin Renie for a pre-Thanksgiving getaway. But when an addled and impoverished popcorn vendor is murdered-along with his foul-mouthed pet parakeet-a local copper's suspicious gaze settles on the two visiting Americans. The cousins, in turn, suspect one of the "Sacred Eight" --
Amy
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice, little murder mystery that I could read on vacation. Two cousins go to a high class hotel in Canada, where someone they just met was murdered. They are, of course, immediately suspected. Coincidentally, a famous group of theater folk (with whom the cousins are acquainted) are staying I the same hotel. All of them have a connection to the deceased, Bobo, who was also a stage actor in his day. Through a series of sleuthing, the cousins uncover the truth of all of the theater folk ...more
Dolly
May 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I've only read two books in this series; I like them, but I'm not hooked. This story was a fun, quick read, but the plot and characters were overly contrived with too many connections between the "Sacred Eight" characters and far too many convenient coincidences. It was difficult to keep track of all of the past relationships and almost inbred familial connections. Overall, though, it was a welcome diversion during a draining night shift and a hectic exercise.

new words: espalier, pilaster, dudg
Susan
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-canada
When Judith McMonigle and Renie Jones visit a posh Canadian hotel for a rare break, the last thing they expect is to meet some high school friends, now famous in the artistic world. But when the cousins find a popcorn vendor dead in the hotel elevator, they also find a mystery involving their friends. Since the police are on strike, the cousins must do some detecting if they expect to get home in time to satisfy their difficult families.
Annie
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know Mary Daheim is a very popular author with a fairly staggering backlist, but for me this one never worked particularly well. The 'coziness' was too light, the dialogue too flippant, the supporting characters too annoying and so much of the book was either convoluted or straight up unnecessary.

I prefer less cozy mysteries with a more classic flavour, but I'm sure her more die-hard fans would enjoy this one.
VJ
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
In her best Agatha Christie mode, this author packed her novel with a roll call of interesting characters that made my head spin. Add to the mix several aliases and quite a few "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" episodes and you have a convoluted mess. Thankfully, I was able to keep the main players straight. That didn't help me solve the mystery though!

While being slightly confusing with the colorful cast of ever-evolving characters, it was nevertheless a really fun read.
Linda Smatzny
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Bed and Breakfast Mystery series featuring cousins Judith and Renie. Judith is the one who likes solving murders and this time when she and Renie discover the body of Bob-0 in a hotel elevator she has to find the killer. The crime occurs in Canada and the police have on strike and the cousins must return home before Thanksgiving so Judith starts digging and asking questions. The book was a fast easy read.
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I had enjoyed the first of this series so much that I was very excited to read this one. While it had the same main characters I enjoyed from the first, I knew nearly right away I wouldn't like it as much. The minor characters were annoying and the situation was kind of confusing. The "who dunnit" at the end was completely out of nowhere. I wouldn't say the book was horrible, but definitely not great.
Jeff Dickison
A cozy that was often too cozy. I liked parts of this book, but other parts, including the solving of the mystery, were BORING. The witty repartee between some of the characters was nice, but the conclusion was confusing and way too coincedental. I would recommend only to people who like these little cozies.
Sara
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Decent murder mystery, ridiculously annoying main character. Judith is rude to all the wrong people (long-suffering Renie highest on that list), and unbelievably patient with others. (Joe!) I've heard the books get better as they go on, so I'll try one more in the series to see if Judith starts acting like a decent human being.
Beth
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main character and her cousin go off for a few days for a quick vacation before the Thanksgiving rush and fall into a murder mystery involving some people they know and some they have just met.

Another quirky fun read with some twists and turns of the plot, some strange characters and a lot of humanity.
Lindsay
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The cousins go to Canada for vacation right before Thanksgiving and find a dead body. In attempt to make it home in time for the holiday they try to find the killer. It was a decent book, but like always there are to many people and I got confused about who was who. I really dont like the mom. She's so mean.
Glenn Harris
Second book in this long-standing series, a good mystery. The banter is still a little over the top for my taste but I'm going to read on because Daheim's Emma Lord series is so good and I anticipate this one will continue to get better as we approach the present day.
Sallie
Nov 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The cast of characters was confusing at times, and I was afraid she'd meet up with the killer at the end ala the first book, but she didn't. That helped me like the book. Engaging characters, but so many of them ;-}
Clare
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Daheim's complicated plots. I wish she wouldn't draw her characters in such a two dimensional way, though. I do like that the romance that threads through the series is complicated and that the heroine is a hard-working and smart businesswoman.
Nicole
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked this sequel more than the first novel in the series. Since I enjoy the Alpine mysteries I felt this series must get better and I was pleased with the setting in Victoria's Empress Hotel disquised a the Clovia Hotel.
Diane Falvey
On vacation in Canada at the Clovia Hotel the girls meet up with an old school friend. a nice weekend away from thier mothers and husbands only to get caught up in another murder. The girls are again on the trail of a murderer.
Linda J
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith and cousin in trouble again.

Lots of details in trying to solve the puzzle. Would have given a higher rating but reading two books in a row in a series that uses the same formula is tedious. Overall, light reading that kept my attention.
KB
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I think I missed something with this one — namely the "Eureka!" moment where our amateur sleuth clued in on whatever was going on. I had to re-read an entire chapter and still was left in the fog.
Candace Wegner
Not my favorite series -- a bit dated -- but still a lot of fun on a rainy Saturday.
Linda
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book but I found it a little confusing trying to keep all the characters straight. Total surprise ending, I never would have guessed whodunit.
Patti
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit confusing with all the marriages and divorces. But still a good book.
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Harvest Of Murder
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Sharks, Jellyfish, and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 2)
  • Irish Chain (Benni Harper, #2)
  • Check-Out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel #5)
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast, #11)