Start by marking “Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, #1)” as Want to Read:
Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos, #1)

Krispos Rising (The Tale of Krispos #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  471 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Videssos was beset by enemies abroad and had fallen into decadence at home. But on his first night in the imperial capital, The Empires health mattered less to Krispos than finding a dry place to sleep.

Driven by crushing taxes from the farm where his family had lived -- and died -- Krispos had come to the. city seeking what fortune a good mind and a strong back could earn.
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published December 30th 1991 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Krispos Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krispos Rising

Mikhail
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Harry Turtledove was my favorite author throughout my high school years, before I got tired of him fairly suddenly sometime in my late teens. For some reason though, I decided to revisit the rows of books of his I have, and re-read Krispos Rising, one of my old favorites.

Looking at the book from the vantage of about a decade, both of my life and of how the field has changed, it's clear that the book hasn't aged terribly well. At the same time, it's also clear that Turtledove has genuine talent,
Fantasy Literature
The opening chapter of The Tale of Krispos really sucked me in. There is realism, which I'm always a fan of, and there are hardly any wasted words. At least that's how it is at first — but more on that later. Harry Turtledove does a great job of describing what is going on by working the information you need into the narrative in natural ways rather than just straight-out telling you certain facts.

The three books that make up The Tale of Krispos — Krispos Rising, Krispos of Videssos, and Krispos
Al "Tank"
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sad when I ran out of books in the Videssos / Roman series. But along comes the story of Krispos, set in the same "world", but well before the Romans "arrived" in Videssos.

Who can't like a rags to riches story? Certainly not me. Krispos starts out on a poor farm and ends up ... well, that would be telling, but his journey is filled with danger, opportunity, difficulties, courage, and all the things that make for a fun read.

I love Turtledove's style and this book didn't disappoint.
M.J.
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sf, nostalgia
"Krispos' Rising" is a fun, if superficial, fantasy novel that is not an essential read for anyone's list, but sufficiently achieves its aims.

I should disclose up front that this hardly qualifies as a real book review. This is more a trip through nostalgia. A retro review, if you will. When I was twelve each trip to the local library (before it moved and expanded) was met with a quick trip to the small fantasy section. I read this book multiple times. I can remember the countless creases in the
L.
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is, in my opinion, one of Turtledove's best. One of his problems is that many of the characters in his varied series are essentially the same; this does not happen here. The story too is relatively fresh. While it is a basic rags-to-riches plot, the execution is relatively flawless and the details are wonderful. The plot itself is loosely modeled on the rise of Byzantine Emperor Basil I (book two is largely based on Basil II) but the interaction of magic and other various details makes ...more
Jonathon
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brentman99
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who liked the Misplaced Legion series.
A really good series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Krispos rises through the ranks and the story of how he gets there is fun. I love the characters and Turtledove does a good job of keeping the world of Videssos alive. I enjoyed these books.
Nathan
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago, but I find myself thinking back to it regularly. I plan to finally read the next one soon.
Kendra Schaefer
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Meh. A passable take on the farmboy-becomes-king storyline, but nothing outstanding.
Tavie
Oct 05, 2009 added it
Shelves: abandoned
Not sure about this one, but we'll see.

...abandoned. Can't get into it.
Peter
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this series. Typical fantasy series but well written.
Mike Slayton
Sep 05, 2014
Mika Keskitalo
Nov 10, 2012
  • Memory Wire
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • The Poison Master
  • Retief At Large
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • Lord Prestimion (Lord Prestimion, #2)
  • The Gates of Noon (The Spiral, #2)
  • Brother Death (Matador, #8)
  • Nightside City
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • Lieutenant (Dirigent Mercenary Corps)
  • The Face of Apollo (Book of the Gods, #1)
  • The Mage-born Child
  • Circuit of Heaven
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • The Changing Land
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

The Tale of Krispos (3 books)
  • Krispos of Videssos (The Tale of Krispos, #2)
  • Krispos the Emperor (The Tale of Krispos, #3)