Start by marking “Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)” as Want to Read:
Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)

Striking the Balance

(Worldwar #4)

At the bloody height of World War II, the deadliest enemies in all of human history were forced to put aside their hatreds and unite against an even fiercer foe: a seemingly invincible power bent on world domination.

With awesome technology, the aggressors swept across the planet, sowing destruction as Tokyo, Berlin, and Washington, D.C., were A-bombed into submission. Russ

Published September 1997 by Del Rey (first published November 5th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Striking the Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Striking the Balance

Christopher
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Johnny
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since World War: Striking the Balance is the fourth book in a tetralogy of alternate history, anyone reading this review probably doesn’t need anything about the set-up explained to them. Just in case, the entire WorldWar series is a mash-up of World War II meets an invasion by technologically superior aliens. Of course, if I hadn’t seen the titles of these novels in advance, I probably would have been surprised at the conclusion of this series. Don’t get me wrong, I really think it’s a very rea ...more
Carol Storm
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Did not finish! Did not finish! Did not finish this stupid mother****ing book!

I refuse to read about lizards invading the earth and saving Europe's Jews from the gas chambers in World War II. Especially four foot tall lizards who snort ginger and get high. This book was stupid, tasteless, and boring as hell. I have read so many suck-ass Harry Turtledove books and it stops here.

It must stop here!
Chip
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
A somewhat disappointing conclusion to this epic series. Most of the book is about people trapped in enemy areas as either unwanted visitors or POWs. It deals with people eyes being opened that their view of the world isn't necessarily the only nor correct one. For the world being at war, very little of the book concerns itself with the battles of the Lizards. Also the book is anti-climatical since the last 2 or 3 chapters are mainly setting up for the next series.
Christopher
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The conclusion to Turtledove's alt-history "Worldwar" series ends not with a bang, but with a whimper. While the alien invaders ("The Race") use their own atomic weapons several times over against various human cities, the human forces struggle to keep up and maintain their defenses lest they be overwhelmed.

Despite this being a finale and a novel of war--there's not much of either. There's a LOT of uneasy alliances between Germans, Russians, Chinese, Americans,and Jews and various combinations t
Neil
Thots while reading:
Despite all of the talking in the book, it is moving faster than the third book. It is kind of amusing. I do find myself enjoying this book [for the most part] more than the third book [so far].

Finally! (view spoiler)
Geoff Battle
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Striking the Balance, the conclusion to this alternate history series, should have offered so much more. The first two hundred pages are a drawn out series of chapters which serve as a catch-up for the plethora of characters which the book follows. This half of the novel offers no real entertainment and although the action heats up in the middle of the novel, by then there's a good chance you'll be disinterested. The book wraps up rather anticlimactically too and although the end of the series i ...more
Richard
This novel ends this 4 volume series at a place that can be called the "end of the beginning".
The end of several story lines and parking of others brings this phase of the invasion to a more or less satisfactory state, but you're going to want to continue with the "Colonization" series which launches 20 years later with the arrival of the follow on fleet.
This is a good read.
eric quinn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stalemate?

Interesting, the detail is amazing. Turtledove doesn't disappoint. His vision of interstellar war, is quite unique he gives a certain honor to this new foe, but is that honor a weakness?
Keith
Not a bad ending, but kind of a melodramatic finish. Spoiler ! Aliens cannot quite conquer earth.
Simon Mynott
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed if somewhat long winded
Vitaliy Hristyuk
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like it! Good conclusion to a first cycle. Now onto next...
Brad
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Dkolacinski
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so e n ds the war, at least until colonization begins.
Patrick
I started reading this series almost a decade ago now, so I guess I’m glad to be done. There’s a real sense of anticlimax, but I think I expected it.
Mathew Whitney
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The final book in the Worldwar series, or the middle book in the Tosev series, this book brings most of the threads of the Worldwar series to a close, and leaves enough open for the larger series to continue.

Harry Turtledove demonstrates throughout this series a strength in story-telling, especially in handling long-term story arcs spanning multiple novels. He has a compelling story to tell regarding the invasion of an alien race of reptile-like beings during World War 2, and brings together a s
Kym Robinson
I really wanted to like this. World War Two, its major players locked in an epic and historical struggle, their stories told by a historically fluent and talented author. Plus these wartime heroes and villains not merely engaging one another but fighting of an Armada of invading aliens !

Will their uneasy alliance hold as the common human interest is sought in an effort to defeat these alien imperialists !?

You see, this is why I wanted to like it.

Turtledove had often entertained me in his shorte
Dan
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
The characters are believable and you care what happens to them. The differences between humans and the aliens are well thought out and result in interesting situations. The plot of the whole series is very good, but perhaps a little bit predictable. I only gave this, and the series as a whole, three stars because it is very repetitive. Many of the characters say and think the same things over and over and over. And over. You get the idea. The detailed descriptions of battle scenes is also repet ...more
M
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
A couple of points here. First, anyone who reads Turtledove has to be impressed with his mind as an author. The detail with which he writes is truly impressive. How does he do it? But, and secondly, unfortunately his books (especially when in a series) become tedious to read. After a while you just want it to end! So, since I read the first two books in this series and really wanted to see how it turned out, I opted to just skim the last two volumes. I did this successfully by skimming through a ...more
Chad J
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: turtledove-harry
I have found the entire World War Series interesting and entertaining. I do find that Turtledove tends to repeat information in his books to often, its not like his readers can't remember information from one book to another!
Also Turtledove should stop writing sex dialog. Sorry buddy, you are just not very good at that.

What Turtledove is great at is presenting history from an alturnate reality. I find the books captivating and wanting more. Could stand a little less of hearing (And I Great You S
Roberto Selbach
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
The premise of this series is interesting and overall I liked reading it.

That said, although I enjoyed the story, the writing is terrible. It is terribly repetitive. I mean, how many times do we have to read about minor league baseball stadiums? I get it! The guy used to play baseball, but enough already.

Add to that some very unrealistic dialog. Every Russian character keeps going on and on about the dialectic. Sheesh.

It was a hard read. I really had to work through these books but I did it be
Chris Burland
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a bit of a grind and Turtledove's repetitiveness in rehashing the early events of certain fictional characters tended to lengthen the read of this four book alt-universe tale. The ending is as expected, a bit open which is the case of history. The what ifs are present at the beginning as at the end. Several of the personal storylines are rapped up in happy endings especially for the three main love stories. I did expect that Mutt Daniels and Sam Yeager might meet up again but that would h ...more
Brenton J.
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This series opened up a whole new world to me. It was the first alternate history type book I had ever read and at least for the few few in the series, it is the best. During one of the worst conflicts in the history of the world, aliens decide to invade. Alliances form in the most unlikely groups and heroes are born from the most unhero of people. This is a great series and I would recommend it to anyone. It did slow down towards the end of the series, but the first two or three books when the ...more
Steven
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had heard complaints that he was writing these a bit hackneyed to get kids through college - I can agree with the complaint. There are a huge number of characters, and they switch frequently...and at least 5% of the text in each character's section is the same complaints over and over again.

Several characters (some of the more interesting ones, in my opinion) are killed off for no apparent reason other than to provide closure.

Skorzeny...well...let's just say the author clearly didn't know wher
Ruru
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Finally finished the last book, a very enjoyable read overall! Since I started the second series before I went back and read this first series, I knew what was going to happen in the end, but even allowing for my being “spoiled” I found the final Jager-Skorzeny and co. scene a bit anticlimactic. Nevertheless, I’m glad I “discovered” Turtledove (it seems even a long-time science fiction reader like me can miss things along the way) and the Race. Overall a very solid and satisfying science fiction ...more
Sandra
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it, but thank GOD it's done. Way too many pages. Just be warned that this is one very long book, not four books. And I'm pretty sure there's a "sequel series" after this one. One observation: I am pretty sure that HT has no idea who his central character(s) is or are until he just keeps writing. People who are quite important at the first seem to drop away, others get more important. This is all Brad Wilson's fault. He loaned me the books. They ate my brain for far too many hours.
Bryan457
The explosive conclusion? How about the whimpering fizzle conclusion?

I deserve a medal for finishing this. All four books should have been edited down into one 500 page book.

I started cheering when people, that we have been following faithfully in every minute detail of their lives for four looooooooooooonnnnnnnngggg books, died; then realized that most of them contributed absolutely nothing to the story.
Justin Robinson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This series doesn't so much end as run out of steam and kinda stop. This really feels like Turtledove got bored with the world he'd postulated -- or at least had better ideas 20 years down the line -- and decided to call it a day. While I'm interested in the sequel series, I'm a lot less interested than I would have been had be stuck the landing.
Emanuele
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I dont know if it is because I started while on holiday at very fast pace or because it was actually better written/edited/paced, but i liked it more than the last couple instalments.

It still has very little happening throughout, but it sets the pace for the next steps, I guess

The diplomatic/political side could have been described more precisely i think
Mark Hanson
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved the historical depth and the depth of the plot for the series. The series managed to handle several divergent story lines effectively.
Aside from that I was very put off by the amount of language and unnecessarily explicit physical relationships. For those reasons I'd not recommend the book for those who are more conscientious readers.

• Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • Grantville Gazette, Volume I (Grantville Gazette, #1)
  • 1901
  • Resurrection Day
  • Conquistador
  • Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History
  • The Union Forever (Lost Regiment #2)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce

Worldwar (4 books)
  • In the Balance (Worldwar, #1)
  • Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2)
  • Upsetting the Balance (Worldwar, #3)
“He’d never played in Wrigley Field—the Cubs had still been out at old West Side Grounds when he came through as a catcher for the Cardinals before the First World War. But seeing the ballpark in ruins brought the reality of this war home to him like a kick in the teeth. Sometimes big things would do that, sometimes little ones; he remembered a doughboy breaking down and sobbing like a baby when he found some French kid’s dolly with its head blown off. Muldoon’s eyes slid over toward Wrigley for a moment. “Gonna be a long time before the Cubs win another pennant,” he said, as good an epitaph as any for the park—and the city.” 1 likes