Start by marking “Fair Coin (Coin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fair Coin (Coin, #1)

Fair Coin

(Coin #1)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  1,225 Ratings  ·  263 Reviews
Epraim is horrified when he comes home from school one day to find his mother unconscious at the kitchen table, clutching a bottle of pills. Even more disturbing than her suicide attempt is the reason for it: the dead boy she identified at the hospital that afternoon--a boy who looks exactly like him. While examining his dead double's belongings, Ephraim discovers a strang ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 250 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Pyr (first published March 1st 2012)

Felicia
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, young-adult
So I usually resist young adult novels because, frankly, 15 year olds mooning over each other don't really interest me. I'm drawn to teens who have adult problems, probably because I never was a teenager myself (I skipped all of high school and went directly into college.) That's why, even though it's certainly a teen book, I really liked Fair Coin, and the smart universe the author created.

Basically the main character, Ephraim, has a challenging home life, and finds a coin that, when flipped, c
E.C.
Dec 26, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this!
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5

A butterfly flapped its wings off the coast of Brazil and I ended up not enjoying this book, can't we just leave it at that so I don't have to get all analytical?

No? Fine.

Let's be honest here, who among us hasn't at one time or another, yearned for the ability to make wishes. From our childhood fantasies of the genie in the lamp à la Aladdin, the innocence of such wishes turned into a more nuanced version as we grow up and learn that there's no such thing as a free lunch. Or fr
Rachel Brown
Clever YA sf in the old-school vein of "work through all the implications of a premise."

Teenage Ephraim finds a "magic coin" which can alter reality, and uses it improve his life: make his mom not an alcoholic, make his crush like him, etc. However, each change creates snowballing changes, often of a monkey's paw nature.

Without getting into moderate spoilers for the nature of the premise (revealed about a third of the way in) about all I can say is that yes, it does deal with the moral implica
Michelle (Crazy Cat Lady)
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-read
[I received my copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads giveaway program.]

Definitely the kind of YA novel I like to read; too many of them lately seem to be about girls falling in love with mythical creatures or guys being half-gods (those books can be good, just so many of them out there! ugh!).

Going into this, I had no expectations whatsoever; I hadn't heard of this book before, and I received it for free, so I had nothing to lose. Cynical, but true. However, having finished i
Melanie McCullough
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
If you follow my blog there are two things you should know by now:

· I love a story told from a male point of view
· I'm hopelessly addicted to all things Sci-Fi / Fantasy

Put these two things together in a Young Adult novel and you get Fair Coin, a story about a teenage boy who finds a magic coin capable of granting his every wish. And, come on, who wouldn't want that?

When Ephraim makes his first wish—that his mother wasn't in the hospital from her suicide attempt—he gets more than he bargained f
TheBookSmugglers
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Sixteen-year-old Ephraim Scott comes home from school one day to find his mother passed out at the kitchen table – unfortunately a more than common occurrence given his mother’s alcoholism – except this time around she is holding a bottle of pills. Her suicide attempt is a reaction to having identified Ephraim’s body at the morgue that morning. Thankfully, she lives and everybody is convinced that it was all simply a horrible mistake. Then Ephraim finds amongst the other boy’s belongings – which ...more
Natalie
Click HERE to read this review on my blog, Mindful Musings.

In a Sentence: Despite the fact that I would have liked to see a little more development of the secondary characters, I found Fair Coin to be an interesting story filled with loads of questions that will keep readers turning pages.

My Thoughts

The first chapter of Fair Coin pulled me in almost immediately. By the second page of the book, something dramatic was happening, so this book definitely didn't have any problems with a slow start.
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This is a pretty good alternate worlds story - with a whole lot of high school drama build-up. Once the main character catches up to the reader in terms of knowing what's happening, it gets fairly good. Still, these are high school aged people so adjust your expectations in terms of maturity accordingly.

MacLeod Andrews is perfect for the audio.
Dawn Vanniman
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

A 'fair coin' is a term from probability theory and statistics. Basically it means that you have the probability of getting 50% heads, 50% tails on any flip. Unless the coin has been tampered with, in which case you can tell by the non-randomness of the flips.

Ephraim Scott is 16 years old. His dad left and his mom's a drunk. It's up to Ephraim to make sure she gets to work on time or to call in for her when she's too drunk.
Buka
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
One and a half star.
I want to confess this right now - the main reason why I noticed this book, picked it and managed to stick to the end of it was Sam Weber's cover. I swear, something in his paintings (these colors, these postures, this sheer awesomness!..) just strips away my willpower and lures me in like a hopeless sailor. It was his cover for The Shadow Rising ebook that finally made me read Wheel of Time (and that's not simply a big as a brick book, that's 13 big as a brick books). His im
Jessica
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From the start of Fair Coin I was enamored with Ephraim. He made this book for me. Here is a character who is so easy to relate to that I genuinely cared what happened to him. His friend Nathan was the same way. These two are the epitome of nerds, and I loved that! Their friendship is palpable and, even when it changes, that link is there. I happily followed Ephraim as he made wishes and changed his world. Of course I'll admit that I kept wondering when something bad would happen. I've read enou ...more
Soumi
Sixteen years old Ephraim was horrified when he found his mother tried to suicide. The reason behind her suicide attempt was she indentified Ephraim body on morgue that day, hit and run. With shock of this incident, Ephraim found a strange coin from belongings of his double; the coin was no ordinary one. Things Ephraim never imagined started to happen with one flip, Ephraim turned his alcoholic mother into a good parent and made the girl he liked from second grade fall for him. The coin could gi ...more
Aline
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Fair Coin by E.C. Meyers * 3 Stars * 10/22/2016

When I read the synopsis of Fair Coin I got really anxious to read the book. The story concept totally called my attention, it was very interesting. When I started to read it has a hard time with the writing style. I couldn't put my finger on it but the read wasn't satisfactory. The main character, Ephraim, kept making bad choices over and over again, but what bothered me Tehran most was how he kept repeating the question he had regarding the myster
Amanda
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read the full review here at www.appraisingpages.com!

This book did something awesome, something that doesn’t happen often: it surprised me. It’s not that I went into this book thinking it would disappoint me, it’s that after the first 100 pages I was pretty sure I had it figured out. I knew the message, I knew the plot, I knew where it was going. I. Was. Wrong!

Myers changed things on me and made the story so much more deep and complex than I expected, I love it when books do that.

The main chara
Kelly
The first part of this book made me very impatient to know what was going on. Not in the delightful suspense kind of way, but in the come ON what is UP HERE kind of way. And then the explanation was too... science wordsy. I don't know. I kind of hated this. I kind of hated this a lot. People getting all bumped around and people are people but not the same people but also they ARE the same people but different and then whoops, dead, but it doesn't matter because it was a different same person, so ...more
Stefan
1.5 stars. Uninspired YA fantasy. The premise is too recognizable, and the characters are too bland to maintain the reader's interest. I abandoned it after five chapters (56 pages) and wrote a "Fifty Page Fridays" post about it on Far Beyond Reality.
Mike
This is a very interesting book to review, for a number of reasons. It's premise is wildly unique - while it at first appears to be a simple story of the consequences of wishes, it turns out to be far more complex and intricate. This intricacy limits its audience a bit - I can easily imagine people getting confused and overwhelmed. But what it went for is ambitious, and it largely succeeds.

But what I find most interesting about this book is its intended audience. This is probably the first YA bo
LiteraryObsession
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ephraim Scott, “Eph” to his friends, is a typical teenage boy living a typical (sadly, it -is- fairly common for children to deal with this situation) life. He isn’t entirely happy, but he does seem to be coping; he has friends, he’s performing at an at least average level in school, and has a job that the reader can assume he appreciates. Truthfully, though, he’s a boy who is hurting and he’s all too eager to step away from his not-so-idyllic life.

When he gets the opportunity to do so, he leaps
usagi ☆ミ
This book is most definitely not what it seems. And this is a great thing - I loved this book's ending, and even though it's not a standalone, it definitely reads like one. And what's more refreshing is that it's a male YA author - those seem to be in such short supply, especially when doing fantasy/sci-fi. "Fair Coin" might have a slow start, but quite the explosive ending that will definitely have me reading the sequel when it comes out.

Yes, the start is slow, and I was starting to wonder if E
Diayll
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA Fans of Action, Mystery, Science Fiction
Originally Reviewed At:
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher for Honest Review
Reviewer: Me

Fair Coin was a surprise hit for me, one I never saw coming, and one I can’t believe is over (thankfully I just received my ARC of Quantum Coin)! E.C. Myers crafted a hair-raising adventure centered around best friends and a simple “coin”. Fair Coin is reminiscent of The Butterfly Effect, except with a more Sci-Fi edge because of the sheer amount of technology presented and the in de
Andor
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book, but I'm disappointed for sure.
It's not bad though. It's a quick and easy read, good to spend a boring afternoon with.

The difference between the first and the second half of the book felt very distinct.
At first, for all we know, the coin is magical. It even fits the stories, as wishes don't always turn out entirely good, if ever. To me, it was really annoying to see how Ephraim handled that magical coin, and the things he did or "suffered" from.
I was expecti
Chayse Sundt
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
When I first read the synopsis of this book, all I could think of was the Two Face from The Dark Night and how he had the coin that would decide his decisions. Yeah, I know crazy but that's literally what I was thinking. Ookay now let me stop raving about the movie and get onto this book.

As I started reading, what propelled me through it was the plot line, with the various paradoxes. And with every chapter, the story unfold allowing the reader to learn more and also with new characters entering
Beth Cato
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book came to my attention when it won the Andre Norton Award. I have wanted to read it since then, but with so many other books to read, it kept getting pushed off. Well, I had to kill time in a book store the other day and found this on the shelf. I started reading. I didn't want to stop. I ended up reading 3/4 of it in one day.

Fair Coin is intense from page 1 and doesn't let up until the very end. The mystery grows more complicated by the page. Where did Ephraim's double come from? How do
Juliana Hanford
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book and at first I thought it was good. I kept reading this book and then I thought it was AWESOME. I don't want to say anything that will give away the most excellent surprises, but let me just say this: Now that I'm done, I wish I weren't. As I was reading it, I found myself having thoughts like, "Oh, I could hop the express train and get home faster . . . but no, I'll just stay on the local because then I'll have more time to read!" or "Shoot, I have to run that errand ...more
Jenn
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy, ya
Wholly unique YA adventure with an authentic male protagonist: two thumbs up!

The story unfolds layer after layer like a great mystery. Ephraim is incredibly likable (despite some questionable choices) and I was rooting for him the whole time. Myers handles his characters -- and the story's speculative elements -- deftly and with obvious passion. (Geeks like myself will love the many fantasy and science fiction references!)

I want to say much more, but there are so many great twists and turns in
Rick Silva
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really original take on the traditional wish-granting tale, with a teenaged protagonist who comes across a reality-altering coin that is far more than what it appears to be.

There is a slow build, but the story really picks up momentum when it gets going, and there is a good level of complexity in the relationship between the hero and the villain.

I did think that the story tries a bit too hard to tie up every possible loose thread in its ending, but I found the concept and the executio
Cindy
I liked the premise - it was an interesting twist on the The Monkey's Paw trope. In this iteration, Ephraim has found a coin with a unique property: it's able to grant wishes. However, those wishes have some interesting side effects. I liked the way the author took this, but found that it got bogged down from time to time. I thought that it was difficult to get invested in the characters as well. Overall it was inventive and that was enough for me to overcome some of the flaws.
Susan
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY enjoyed Fair Coin by E.C. Myers. It reminded me of my favorite childhood sci-fi by William Sleator, and that's a HUGE compliment. I adored books like Interstellar Pig or Green Futures of Tycho, so for Fair Coin to bring classics like that to mind, it's no wonder I zoomed through Myers' book as quickly as I did. And though Fair Coin is definitely YA, I think younger, more-MG readers can read this and enjoy.
Dianne Salerni
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! The plot is twisty and addictive. I couldn't predict where it was going next (and I'm usually pretty good at that!), but in the end, it all made sense. I don't want to give too much away, but let's say if you enjoyed the short story The Monkey's Paw or *anything* by William Sleator, you will love Fair Coin.
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • Planesrunner (Everness #1)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • Reaper (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Obsidian Blade (The Klaatu Diskos, #1)
  • Hostage (The Change, #2)
  • London Eye (Toxic City, #1)
  • False Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #2)
  • The Chaos
  • Masters of the Veil (The Veil Trilogy #1)
  • Arctic Rising
  • The Gift of Fire and On the Head of a Pin: Two Short Novels from Crosstown to Oblivion
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Losers in Space
  • The Freedom Maze
  • Nightshifted (Edie Spence, #1)
  • Sword
E.C. Myers was assembled in the U.S. from Korean and German parts and raised in Yonkers, NY by his mother and the public library. He is a graduate of the Clarion West Writers Workshop and a member of the prolific NYC writing group Altered Fluid. In the rare moments when he isn't writing, he blogs about Star Trek at The Viewscreen, reads constantly, plays video games, watches films and television, ...more

Coin (2 books)
  • Quantum Coin (Coin, #2)
“Ephraim, it's an incredibly intimate thing to share one of your favorite books with someone else. I think so, anyway."

"How do you mean?"

"Your father gave me a book on our second date, the first gift he ever gave me." She turned to the front page and studied it. "When you give someone a book, it's lie saying: 'I'm trusting you with something that means a lot to me.' It doesn't matter whether you like it or not, though it helps if you do. What matters is that you understand why she likes it. Why she gave it to you.”
5 likes