Start by marking “First Lady (Wynette, Texas, #4)” as Want to Read:
First Lady (Wynette, Texas, #4)

First Lady (Wynette, Texas #3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  10,084 Ratings  ·  434 Reviews
How does the most famous woman in the world hide in plain sight? The beautiful young widow of the President of the United States thought she was free of the White House, but circumstances have forced her back into the role of First Lady. Not for long, however, because she's made up her mind to escape -- if only for a few days -- so she can live the life of an ordinary pers ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about First Lady, please sign up.
Pallavi Chitrapu No, cheating is too strong a word. hiding information is more apt.

Ana
 photo photovisi-download1_zpsrdeuwqav.jpg

SPOILERS, tread carefully.

Now this is the story all about how,
Cornelia Case's life got flipped, turned upside down,
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there,
I'll tell you how she became the president of a country called USA.

I'm not as good of a rapper as Will Smith, but you get the general idea. I want to kick myself for not reading this book sooner. Why was I so convinced I wouldn't like it? Hillary Clinton and Henry Cavill are in this book! Well, not exactly. The main characters k
♥Sharon♥
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“A perfect rose for a perfect Lady.”

photo 4dc8fc85-483c-4932-a32c-a3d9e2b62877_zpsfoy6xxzt.jpg

Gosh, I really, really loved this book. First Lady just might be my favorite of this series thus far. This isn’t what I would call a traditional series. There isn’t a connection from book to book. Though one would think so when you see #1, #2, #3 etc. So if you are thinking of giving this author a try, all these books can be read as standalones and read in any order.

It never takes long for SEP to draw me into her stories. There is no delay in making a conn
Karen
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

I don’t know how she does it. But she does. I know I sound like a broken record… but, I LOVED IT! This book had a bit of a different storyline. At first, I have to admit, I was skeptical that even SEP could create a feasible romance out of a grief-stricken First Lady, but as the story unfolded, I was just captivated by these endearing characters. Each and every one capturing my heart with their quirky personalities, and the heart wrenching situations that followed them through life.

Cornel
Secondary Character Ratings ~ 5 Stars
Romance Rating ~ 5 Stars
Heat Level ~ 2.75 Stars
Ending ~ 5 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 10 STARS! Because I can and because it deserves it!

Why oh why did I wait so long to give a SEP book a try? I’ve had friends ragging on me for YEARS to read one. As a matter of fact, I never even read a review for one of her books until I read Sharon’s and Karen’s, which both reviews were for this book. So I though
Mo
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I am going to sound like Karen and Sharon now - a broken record by saying how much I love this author and these books.

Mat Jorik. You hunk of Slovak manhood. No bloody Slovak hunks working in the building I work in even though the Slovakian translation division is working there.

This was a re-read and as I was reading, it all came back to me. I adored it. This author is so good, her wit, humour, love shines through on the pages of her books. She is somebody I would love to meet in real life.

"
Yolanda
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pero cómo he tardado tanto en leerme este libro? Con lo fan que soy de la SEP.
MARAVILLOSO de principio a fin. He disfrutado lo que no está escrito con la historia. Cornelia y Mat me han dado unos rato fantásticos y las niñas....
Me he emocionado al final. Me ha encantado.
Disfruto muchísimo con sus libros. Adoro a la SEP, no lo puedo remediar.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
*excitement excitement* new (for me) SEP book!

But wait… something’s happening – wait! What the hell are you doing? Kids?? Gah! Get them off my precious book! GET THEM OOOOOOOFF!!!!! *jumps out of the window*

*after one week in the hospital*

*cough* I’m ok, just minor injuries.

What the hell??? Why the kids my dear SEP? Why did you ruin the book??? Whyyyyyy????

In case you’re new to my awesome reviewing you must know one simple and important thing about me:

Go ahead. Ask me why!

Wh-

Why??? You dare ask
Fátima
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Otro libro de SEP que cierro con una sonrisa en la cara, adoro a esta mujer y su forma de contar historias!!!!
Me cautivó mucho el personaje de Lucy, esa adulta en cuerpo de niña que la vida la hace ser una gran luchadora ;)
Milica's Bookshelf
Svidela mi se ova zabavna priča o Corneliji Case koja je rizikovala sve da pobegne iz svog uobičajenog života kao Prve dame SAD koji ju je počeo gušiti. U potrazi za avanturom, u svakodnevnom normalnom životu, Cornelia slučajno nailazi na više nego što je očekivala kad se pridruži Matu, zakletom neženji, Lucy, 15-godišnjoj tinejdžerki i bebi Button, na putu do bake devojčica.
★★★★
I love, love, love Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck's 1953 movie Roman Holiday. So imagine my very pleasant surprise when I began to realize that First Lady is nothing short of a modern day, grown up, retelling of one of my favorite films. Sigh...

description

The widowed first lady of the United States White House desperately needs a respite from her role. She just needs a bit of ordinary for a while - her duty to America is draining the life out of her. But if she wants a break, she has to make it happen
Dija
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Especially those who want a reason to grin like fools.
Recommended to Dija by: Aly ~Thanatos~ - I am forever in your debt. *bows in gratitude*
I want to become Susan Elizabeth Phillips when I grow up some more. She writes the sort of books I really, really wish I had written. Not because they're sheer genius, or the characters are phenomenal, or the plot's epic, or anything extraordinary like that, but simply because they comfort me. They actually matter and make a difference in my opinion of little things like love, happily ever afters, second chances, and the power of fate.

Call me cheesy, but it's true. I read SEP's novels, and they
Julz
Valquiria
¡No sabéis lo contenta que estoy de haber leído este libro! Ya solo me queda un libro por leer de SEP (antes de que empiece la relectura de todos su libros porque sí, por que puedo jajaja), y "Primera Dama" ha sido desde el momento en el que empecé a leer a SEP, el libro que menos me atraía de la escritora. ¿Por qué? Bien, el tema de la política, y en especial lo de La Primera Dama de los Estados Unidos pues, digamos, que no me interesaba mucho, hasta me daba pereza empezar el libro siempre. Per ...more
Christel
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SEP readers
Really cute story.

Mat worked in LA for a tabloid TV show and he was sick of it. He wanted to get back to newsprint in the worst way. Well a few years ago he met and married a women named Sandi, they soon divorced but she kept his last name. Well lo and behold he finds out that he now has 2 daughters, one 14, Lucy, and the other 6 months, Button. Well Sandi dies in an automobile accident along with Button's true father. But Mat is on the birth certificates as father for both girls.

Cornelia Case,
Антоанета
Не е от най-силните книги, които съм чела на СЕФ. Прекалено нереална ми беше историята и доста монотонно ми вървеше въпреки, че имаха много приключения. Имаше си разбира се остроумните реплики и забавни диалози:
"-Как да го обясня на Луси?
-Кажи й, че си родила през нощта, после си продала бебето на семейство цигани, защото ти напомняло за нея."
Много ми хареса образа на Луси, само той ми беше така свеж и непредвидим.
Jacqueline
The first half of this book was 5 stars. The second half really pulled it down. I loved the way the heroine escaped the White House and went across country with the hero and the 2 girls. I loved the way she let herself be rude and snippy and normal and how she saw herself so clearly and enjoyed doing it. Great stuff. She just wanted to live a normal life so why at the end did she go back and run for senate and eventually the White House? Seemed a bit like a bait and switch. The author basically ...more
Mandy
I really loved this one! I think I say this with every new Susan Elizabeth Phillips book I read but I'm pretty sure this one is my favorite. The things Mat says at the end... <3 I loved him so much! And Nealy - she was the perfect heroine. This is going on my favorites list!
Calpurnia
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
No es de los mejores de SEP pero divertido. Bonito.
Dee
3.5 Stars

Enjoyed this but really cannot understand why it had been linked to the Wynette?!!
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, romance
I would review this on the eve of the worst presidential election I can recall. Okay, first the series. This is part of the Wynette, Texas series the same way the previous one was: i.e. a kid present in this one grows up to feature in one of the later books that actually has anything at all to do with Wynette, Texas. As such, you really, really don't have to have read any of the actual Wynette books before this one. Unlike the previous one, this one didn't suck.

There are a lot of potential backg
Twiggy
I read this immediately after finishing the chicago stars series ( which I loved) and was a little disappointed.

The story line involving the first lady was unusual and the interaction between Neally, Lucy and button was nicely written.

Think roman holiday set in an American camper van with a difficult teenager, a vomiting baby and a surly romantic lead, hiding the fact that he is a journalist.

I think my problem was that I did not really believe in the romance between Neally and Jorik. They onl
Lissa D'Angelo
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ya no sé qué decir!
Es SEP es así, te deja sin palabras, te hace querer gritar, maldecir, llorar,enamorarte... Todo a la vez, sin piedad, no te da tregua, es una reacción en cadena de emociones, y cuando al fin crees que te has repuesto... plaf, VIENE OTRA MÁS!
Sólo diré que quiero llorar, no por la novela, no es en absoluto trágica, sino por mi adicción, por SEP, porque hace pocas horas salió un nuevo libro suyo y no es suficiente, quiero más, lo quiero todo. Ese es el problema con esta mujer, ge
NiteReader
I'm rounding up to two stars...
This one was really not good, not good at all.
ShoSho
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f, contemporary, x-2015
Why did I wait so long to read this?!
fleurette
Most of the books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips are hit or miss for me. I either like them a lot either strongly dislike them. This is one of the few that I liked but it didn't grabbed me as much as some others.

I definitely liked the main characters Mat and Nealy. The idea of the First Lady as a heroine is really refreshing and unique. The girls even though a bit stereotypical are also okay. I also liked that Nealy isn't one of those totally naive and silly heroines.

However, I have to admit that I
Melann
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un des livres les plus invraisemblables que j'ai eu l'occasion de lire ! Rien n'est crédible, mais qu'importe, l'essentiel est ailleurs :)
C'est mignon, plein de bons sentiments et cette famille recomposée m'a plu.
Sonia
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maravilloso
Reni
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgot how much I love SEP's books. Really enjoyed this one. Some laugh out loud moments.
Gisela
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and tender, enjoyable to the last sentence. I loved it and sure will be reading more of this author's work. 5 well deserved stars!
Goodreads Librari...: add cover and narrator to audiobook 3 14 Apr 17, 2018 09:15AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover to ebook 2 15 Apr 13, 2018 07:50AM
  • True Confessions (Gospel, Idaho #1)
  • Be My Baby
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Heartthrob
  • The Kept Woman
  • The Playboy (Chandler Brothers, #2)
  • Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove, #1)
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Wynette, Texas (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #6)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“You make me see the world in new ways. You're the first thing my heart greets when I wake up in the morning. You're the last thing I see in my mind before I fall asleep.” 11 likes
“Just looking at you shines sunlight on every moment I live. Before I knew you, I wasn't even alive. I thought I knew what I wanted, but I didn't have any idea. You barged into my life and changed it forever. I love you, I admire you, I lust after you, I adore you...” 8 likes