Start by marking “Playing Doctor (Pillow Talk, #2)” as Want to Read:
Playing Doctor (Pillow Talk, #2)

Playing Doctor (Pillow Talk #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  977 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
A Novel of Family and Love

After catching her research partner-slash-fiancé with the intern, Dr. Daphne Donovan returns home to lick her wounds and figure out how to fix her life. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out: being an uber-brilliant Doogie Howser has made her life miserable while all the normal people she knows are happy and content.

There's only one thing to d
Published (first published November 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Playing Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing Doctor

Denia Books and Baubles®
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book very much. It was funny and captivating at the same time. It made me think about sudden decisions that I was taking, but whatever, in the end this book I really enjoyed
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This book could have been a stealer.

Daphne is a brilliant young doctor/scientist who after being traumatised by a selfish fiance who cheated on her with their assitant, runs away from medicine and trying to do all things she assumed to be normal, including drinking beer when she hates the taste. And running away from Dr Grey when he was obviously the man of her dreams.]

Initially it was quite fun, and great start for them. The spark is there. And what comes out from her mouth is really hillarious
N Naquin
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is frustrating. Daphne is supposed to be a brilliant doctor but she comes off as whiney and pathetic. I liked Gray but that is about it. I don't want to give too much away but I was disappointed with her decision on how to deal with Kevin in the end. Just a waste of my time reading this book. I prefer a much stronger female lead!
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent for improving the humor in cold, autumn days.
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
While Playing Doctor is worth a read, it wasn't my absolute favorite of Kate Perry's books. I felt that it was a bit long at times, but I like to think of it as parts of Daphne's own self-discovery. Daphne is obsessed with wanting a life that is "normal" that it gets redundant throughout the story. But as I have mentioned, those parts seem integral to Daphne learning that there isn't such a stereotypical outline to a "normal" for anyone and that she needs to accept that she just has to live her ...more
Alexandria Tugot
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
There are a lot of things I can say about this book, but most of them aren't so great, so I'll just keep it short and simple.

The book goes around the fears of Daphne after her fiance cheated on her with their temp. She decides that she wants to be "normal" and so she degrades herself from being an in-demand doctor to, of all the things in the world, a video store clerk. I just got so angry with the choices she makes because she's supposedly super smart, right? But no, she's actually really super
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd novel of Kate Perry's I have read so far and it is right there in the middle. While I enjoyed the overall plot, I felt that it did not have the humor and realism of "Perfect for You". Although I like the idea of the heroine searching for a normal life after her previous misadventures, she was too stubborn. Even after all of the experiences she and the doctor had together, she still refused to accept their relationship. After one point, I was almost too annoyed with her to continu ...more
Loretta Kelly
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
PLAYING DOCTOR is Kate Perry's 3rd book in her Family and Love series which is another 5 stars, in my opinion. I highly recommend it. It is another novel which could stand alone outside the series. There is much more "story" in this book than sex which is not always the case in some of her other books. The plot has a good time line and it's characters are once again - rich, rich, rich. Since it is fiction .... rich and sex can be enhanced beyond real life of the working class; when you grasp thi ...more
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Confuse heroine

The entire book is one bungle after another of a confused heroine. She lies to everyone, including herself. She tries to be something she's not. She rejects people who care about her. She could clear up everything if she could just be honest and come clean with everyone. But, if she did that then you wouldn't have this book. So much redundant and pointless page filler that it was not to my liking. I read this book because a review said it was funny. It was not.
Emily Higgins
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Dr. Daphne Donovan has given up the practice of medicine. Her fiancé has stolen her research and told her that she is not sexy. She returns to Portland to live with her sister and pursue her goal of becoming an average, normal person who is not a doctor. She meets a pediatrician named Gray. She tries with all her might to dislike Gray and pursue average guys. She still finds herself being drawn time after time to all things medical, and Gray. This is a cute story.
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This could've been a really cute romance novel. It was really good until probably about half. Gray was such a drool-worthy male lead but when Charles Brown as the other guy, it went downward spiral from there. The ending was cute but I think the author should've focused on Gray and Daphne throughout the whole book. I mean, there's already Kevin, aka the douche ex-fiancee so I felt like there was no need to introduce a new guy. Anyway, it was a fun read. ^^
Daphne vs Brennan

Loved it,
Awkward funny in her own way that's how Daphne is, but she doesn't realize it, genius with a Barbie body not that the body keep her from doing her research. Humorous characters we situations that are funniest. You'll fall in love with Daphne, Phil ,magda and of course Ulysses
Marcy Meyer
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This second story in Kate Perry's Novel of Family and Love series is a sweet love story. I really loved Daphne and Gray's story of finding love, even if it's in the last place you want it to be. Isn't that a lesson we all learn, never say never. These two have a lot of passion and heat going on between them, and I was rooting for them from the beginning. Another great book by Kate Perry.
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I haven't read the others but this can be a stand alone. It was fun. Romantic. Loving. Hot. All you could ask for. I loved Gray. But I really liked the MCs wit and brilliance too.
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
It wanted to be a fun book and there were moments it was but brainiac Daphne was just SO stupid in her desperate attempt to be normal. She ran around in circles doing dumb stuff, it made it hard to believe she was actually smart.
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book is sort of ridiculous, the heroine especially. I can't even begin to describe how offensive I found her quest to be "average." The hero was all right, but I felt a little bad for him that he wound up with her, because I just didn't like her.
Sarah Fitz
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
As much as I wanted to like this book, since I have enjoyed the other books b Kate Perry, this one was very hard to get thru. It seemed as though the story line dragged on and on. It started off and ended well, but the middle was torture to get thru.
Gwynne Andal
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it

Fun and sweet read about an intelligent doctor burned by love and wants to be normal for a change.

I love the banter between Gray and Daphne <3
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
**Read Project Date before reading this book. I'm reading it now and this book spoils the other one. I don't know why they aren't linked**

3.5. It started off really funny but seemed longer than it needed to be.
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book - I have been known to have the same thoughts about lesser intelligent people therefore I could honestly relate to the main character. Now this Mr. Gray isn't the same as in other novels - this one I truly adore and wouldn't mind letting him tie me any where he'd like ;-)
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny, but I really liked this book, probably because I could relate to much of it. Loved Gray's persistence, understood Daphne's search for "normal". Made me laugh out loud several times! Enjoyed, too, that it was set in Portland. Not my favorite of Kate's books, but still pretty good!
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I really love Kate Perry's books. And while this was a good read, Daphne really bothered me with her search for normalcy.
Kimberly Woodlief
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great series of books by this author
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice change. Nothing heavy - I enjoyed reading this book.
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for a relaxing day!
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Great read

I enjoyed the humour, the characters and the storyline. I would recommend this book. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Lusi Agnestasya
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
i really love it, eventhough daphne's stubborness is killing me sometimes.
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cheesy-romance
The book was okay. It was cute, and an okay, easy read. Daphne drove me nuts though trying to be normal. Really, normal... it seemed liked she lacked emotional maturity.
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Vanessa Landis
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kinda cheesy and predictable. This book made me realize I need to start reading higher quality books.
  • Tied With a Bow and No Place to Go (Tizzy/Ridge Trilogy #3)
  • The Care and Feeding of an Alpha Male (Bluebonnet, #2)
  • Epilogue Inked Ever After (Bowen Boys, #2.6)
  • The Cowboy's Mail Order Bride (Cowboys & Brides, #3)
  • Her Ex Next Door
  • The Holiday Serenade (Dare Valley, #4)
  • Taming Alex (West #2)
  • Let Me Love You (Spring Towers, #2)
  • Indelible Lovin': Max & Jane's Story Vol. 2 (Indelible Love #2.5)
  • Remembering Zane
  • Duping Cupid
  • A Demon's Wrath (The Nine Kingdoms, #1)
  • Love Struck
  • Avoiding Amy Jackson (Infamous, #2)
  • Island Heat
  • Slow Heat (The Bounty Hunters, #5)
  • Center Stage (Keller Family, #4)
  • Happy Ever After in Christmas (Christmas, Colorado #7)
Kate has tangoed at midnight with a man in blue furry chaps, dueled with flaming swords in the desert, and strutted on bar tops across the world and back. She’s been kissed under the Eiffel Tower, had her butt pinched in Florence, and been serenaded in New Orleans. But she found Happy Ever After in San Francisco with her Magic Man.

Kate’s the bestselling author of the Laurel Heights Novels, as well
More about Kate Perry...

Pillow Talk (3 books)
  • Project Date (Pillow Talk, #1)
  • Playing for Keeps (Pillow Talk, #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You really don't know who Obi-Wan is. How could anyone not know Obi-Wan Kenobi?” 1 likes
“It's just easier to feel guilty than to admit that some things our out of our control.” 0 likes