Start by marking “A Girl and Her Gator” as Want to Read:
A Girl and Her Gator

A Girl and Her Gator

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  341 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
This joyful follow-up to A Boy and His Bunny shows kids that being different can be all right and even fun, as it tells the story of a young girl with a strange condition--there's an alligator in her hair. Full color.
Published April 3rd 2006 by Arcade Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Girl and Her Gator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl and Her Gator

Heidi-Marie
Ahhh! A sequel. Oh my word! How perfect. I saw this in my co-workers pile of books for storytime. So we read it together. And it was fabulously hilarious. So glad the kids will get the sequel.

2/13/13 & 2/14/13: Part of the "Odd Friends" valentine-ish theme. Can't believe I haven't read this one, yet. Very fun though, and the kids loved seeing the gator on her head. With "May I bring a friend" before this, "5 little monkeys" was a perfect song in between the two. And I was easily able to tel
Linda Lipko
Cute, and witty, and most likely funny to the young child who discovers this book. A girl awakes to find a gator on her head. The following pages contain rhymes that explain the beauty of a gator to the girl who has one on her head.
David
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan, illustrated by Thomas Murphy is another book I wish I'd found sooner. It looks like a sure fire read-aloud storytime hit.

Claire — the sister of the “boy who one day woke up with a bunny on his head” — discovers that she too has a strange new condition: When she looks in the mirror, there is a gator in her hair! What is she to do? Will she learn to enjoy her new friend?

This very silly rhyming book features a French alligator (or perhaps Pierre is both Cajun and
Dena (Batch of Books)
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This story is simply delightful in every aspect. The illustrations have a simple, child-like quality to them which really enhance the entertaining story of Claire and her gator.

While the story is rather silly and humorous, the issue of fitting in is addressed. Claire worries that people will stare, and what her friends will think of her when they see her with a gator on her head. The gator assures her that it will all be fine, and it is! Everyone notices the gator, but they all think it is a pr
Jenny
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Claire, the "girl" mentioned in the title, wakes up with the titular gator in her hair. Over the course of the book, she figures out just what to do about her situation. Silly story, cute illustrations: I thought it was pretty rad.
Kathryn Bergeron
It was fine. I was impressed by the rhyme. Nothing to write home about.
Emma
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One day a girl named Claire
gets out of bed and finds a gator in her hair.
Being reasonable, Claire asks the gator (Pierre)
to vacate her head before people stare.
To which Pierre responds "Au contrair!"
explaining why any other girl would wish for a gator in her hair.
Such is the story created by Sean Bryan and Tom Murphy
in their second book where things get topsy turvy.
Now might also be the time,
to mention that it's written in rhyme.

Joking aside, A Girl and Her Gator (2006) is one of my favorite pic
Mary-Kate Ganssle
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: A Girl and Her Gator
Author: Sean Bryan
Illustrator: Tom Murphy
Date of Publication: 2006
Genre: Fiction

Summary:
This short story is about a girl named Claire who wakes up with a gator on top of her hair. She grows from being uncomfortable with her condition, weary about others' reactions, to embracing the gator as a new accessory.

Evaluation:
This story is hilarious! The use of rhyme and quirky humor makes it an awesome read-aloud for a younger group of students. If read independently, it would
Dolly
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read A Boy and His Bunny and noticed that at the end of the story we were introduced to a girl and her gator. Our girls anticipated that there'd be a second book, and we were pleasantly surprised to see that they were correct.

This story is very similar to the first book, except that instead of rhyming with the word 'head,' the sentences rhyme with the word 'hair.' It's a short, rhyming story that is fun to read aloud. I loved that I got to read the story with a French accent. Our gi
Karen Dransfield
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The couch in the library where I was sitting had a pile of picture books spread all over it. This caught my eye so I picked it up to read plus a couple of other ones. The author mentions in their blurb on the back cover how they are trying to introduce a new genre in books, ones about people with animals on their head. This is about a girl who wakes up and discovers an alligator on her head. And how he wont get off but travels with her all day doing things with her. It's very funny and has some ...more
Rachel
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
I loved his book "A Boy and His Bunny," that I simply had to read this book. This book is about Claire, the sister of the boy with a bunny on his head, who wakes up one morning to find a gator named Pierre on top of her hair. I love it that the gator is French and they have all these different outfits for her and the gator. And it sets up his next book about a bear with a boy on his head. How can you not love a book that ends with: "Have you met my cousin who lives in Bel-Air? He woke up attache ...more
Lyndsay Ritchey
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-lit
READ A LOUD PICK: I really enjoyed reading this book to the girls i babysit. The illustrations were bright and went alonfect with the story. It was a silly but fun book to read, the girls were laughing the whole story which made it even more enjoyable. I dont think this would be a good book to use in a lesson, but I would definitely like to have it on the bookshelf in my room for kids to read on their own.
Pamela
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
The author's previous book, The Boy and His Bunny, made me smile and I enjoyed sharing it with students. This one is the sequel, the story of the boy's sister, who provided the ending hook in the first story. It is very similar, both in illustrations, story line, and rhyming rhythm, which are all clever enough. However, it suffers from not being as fresh as when I heard it the first time. (optional for K-3)
Cierra Henderson
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This is about a girl who wakes up with a gator on her head. She is worried what people will think and how she will be treated. With the help of the gator, she finds that she can do just as much and people will be jealous of her new friend! The media is pretty animated and drawn with not a lot of detail. This book is meant for a really young audience to make them laugh. I really liked this quick book that will help kids embrace differences and those who are different to them.
Maggie KutsBorg
A really wonderful storytime book. I read this to 2 groups of preschoolers for a "Letter G" theme and used an alligator puppet (held on top of my head, obviously) as a prop. It got a lot of laughs from grown-ups and kids alike! Good rhymes, clear illustrations, and a nice length make this a slam dunk.
Maria
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Claire woke up with a gator up there.

Why I started this book: A coworker chose this book for today's Storytime.

Why I finished it: Charming, delightful, rhyming fun. I caught a few of my runners with this story. The children that can't sit still because they are so excited to be in the library... came closer for this story.
Jenn Swanson
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quickie, fiction, children
A girl wakes up to a gator on her head. His name is Pierre and the book goes on about how it is OK that this happened: rhyming the whole entire time. My daughter liked the first one a bit more but still enjoyed this one. Would recommend.
Amy
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I read this charming picture book to my cousin Shea at the Kingman Public Library yesterday. While it had a bit too much of a fashion focus for my adult feminist tastes, it was fun to read and is probably about perfect for the average 4-6 year old girl.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-childrens
★★★★A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan
This is another cute story, from the author of "A Boy and His Bunny." In this one Claire wakes up with a gator stuck in her hair. We liked that her friends thought it was cool, that she had a gator. The pictures were also very adorable.
Pemberton Library
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
February 2013 pick.
Rachael
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book made me smile. A girl wakes up one morning to find an alligator on her head.
A picture book in verse worthy of Seuss but with far fewer made up words.
Miri
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Really fun, but the monorhyme was pretty repetitive.
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and the various other versions, a bear and his boy, and a boy and his bunny!
Michelle
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A girl finds a gator on her head and ha to decide what to do with it. This was a great read aloud and a hit with the kids and the parents. The rhyme got me all tongue twisted though.
Sally
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another favorite children's book. Simple, colorful illustrations, coupled with the sing-song rhyming patterns of the story, make this book fun to read aloud.
Anne
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-gems
This is one of my favorite storytime books! I ask for a volunteer from the audience who gets to wear our alligator puppet for the rest of the story. BWA HA HA.
Bree
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Notes:
sequel to boy and his bunny but not as good; sister has a gator in her hair;
Lara
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Silly story about a girl who finds a gator on her head. I love the simple illustrations and the humor. Should work well for storytime.
Allie Lu
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read it every night before bed during the two weeks we kept it.
Tanya
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely, silly book about not having to fit in.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • New Socks
  • Bear with Me
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water