Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I” as Want to Read:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I

(Sherlock Holmes)

Eccentric, arrogant, and ingenious, Sherlock Holmes remains the world's most popular and influential fictional detective. In four novels and fifty-six short stories, Holmes with his trusted friend Dr. Watson, steps from his comfortable quarters at 221B Baker Street into the swirling fog of London. Combining detailed observation with brilliant deduction, Holmes rescues the ...more
Paperback, US / CAN Edition, 709 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Barnes Noble Classics (first published January 1st 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I, please sign up.
Kenan Curry Yup! I can't wait 'til His Last Bow! I don't want to see him
SPOILER ALERT!
killed off, but I do want to see how he did it...
END SPOILER ALERT!
Anyway,…more
Yup! I can't wait 'til His Last Bow! I don't want to see him
SPOILER ALERT!
killed off, but I do want to see how he did it...
END SPOILER ALERT!
Anyway, buy it! They're all awesome!(less)

Start your review of The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
The sum of all of my mini reviews for this first volume is 3.8/5. Aka, I just rounded it up because that's basically four stars. The whole reason I read this volume is because I've never read the full stories. I've read this whole volume before, but not the second. And I wanted to remind myself of these stories before the second volume. That will follow this volume, actually. There are some that I like and some that I don't like. I always say to give these a go since they are good stories, some ...more
Cherie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had forgotten so many little things about Holmes and Watson and the original stories of ACD.

It seems like a phenominal statement to make doesn't it? Holmes and Watson have been fixtures in my life, since I can't remember when. I have been watching movies and TV shows about them since my parents got our 1st TV when I was six years old. The can still remember the horror I felt watching one of the The Hound of the Baskervilles movies (I do not remember which version).

This year, there is a new TV
Matt
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars. The stories in Volume 1 of The Complete Sherlock Holmes provided a good escape for me as a reader. The diversity of the stories in this collection kept my interest and I enjoyed reading this Sherlock Holmes collection.

The character Sherlock Holmes is an icon of literature and rightfully so. What I believe makes that character so memorable is because he’s ultimately a force for good. Look past the facts that he’s cocky, and his methods and personal habits have a lot to be desired - his
Kathy
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Since 8th grade I have been head over heals for Holmes. I guess I just like moody intellectuals. It is so intertaining to watch him demonstrate his superior intellect again and again. I am really glad I picked these up a B&N. It's great to have all of Sherlock Holmes in two volumes.
Kristina
The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume I by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is great fun to read. Other than the three short novels, A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, and The Hound of the Baskervilles, this first volume is comprised of a collection of Holmes stories (also published under the titles of Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes). I read this large volume over the course of three months or so, reading stories between the run of bad books I’ve unfortunately had this ...more
Hope
Since I’ve been reading this off and on since February (yeah, that’s right, ten months!), I’ve forgotten a lot of particular criticisms and compliments for individual mysteries. So, although I can’t be exactly in-depth with this, I can account for the general, over-all feel of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

When I first started reading, I found it difficult to picture Holmes and Watson as younger men. They’re in their mid-30s, probably, but for some reason the tone of the book makes them feel like
Dan
Well, I think I can appreciate the fascination with the character of Sherlock Holmes and his stories. LOL...I never knew he was a raging cokehead though. A good collection of detective stories!! I have to admit though, that I grappled with this thing a bit, and I'll have to reread it at some point in the near future.
P.S. Winn
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes and love a good mystery, grab this classic collection.
Mike
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of a two volume set containing all Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s published works featuring Sherlock Holmes. Collected here in order of original publication, this first volume includes the first two novels (A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four), followed by the first two collections of short stories (Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes) and ends with the third novel, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Overall, it a wonderful collection featuring some of the ...more
Alison
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's amazing how much English literature became less dense between Austen, Dickens and Thackeray to Doyle. I admit I was avoiding reading this because I thought it would take the same level of time and commitment as a Dickens novel, but I was (pleasantly) surprised by how much easier it was to read.

I really enjoyed reading this compilation of four of Doyle's Holmes novels. It's easy to see why so many people love Sherlock Holmes and the books are so widely read.

However, I have to admit that "A
Kim Savage
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Sherlock Holmes. Written in the late 1800s/early 1900s in London. I love the old vocabulary and the history. I can hear the horsedrawn hansons clattering down the brick streets. I can smell the tobacco of Holme's pipe. I have enjoyed the odd friendship of Holmes and Watson. And I have enjoyed the adventure and mystery these 2 gentlemen find themselves in. This volume takes some time to read, but I recommend anyone who is interested in mystery to read about this famous detective's ...more
Cindy
Whatever you do, read Hound of the Baskervilles. Holy cow, that's now one of my favorite books. The short stories are fun, but some are better than others.

It feels like Holmes and Watson are really fleshed out as dynamic characters in Baskervilles. Is it the longer length? Is it because it was written so much later than the short stories?
Mary Killian
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! However, I'm a slow reader and it took me about a year and a half to finish. But if you're like me and love mystery, then I would highly recommend this book.
Alondra Miller
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Buffs
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
3.5 Stars

I cannot believe I am finished! I started, stopped, sputtered-to-life, halted, then started again. It took me 4 months to plow through this book; which is rare, since size does NOT matter. I have tackled larger books in less time. I did not find this book very interesting in the beginning, but once I set my mind to it this last month, it went quickly (I mostly read it on the weekends this past October).

The stories were relatively short, and actually quite humorous (Robert Downey Jr.
Holly
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A truly awesome collection of short stories and novels. There's no doubt in my mind that Sherlock Holmes is a master at his craft. Thoroughly entertaining; can't wait to dive into Volume II!
Crystal
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ugh I love Sherlock stories.
Charity
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1001books
I loved the novels (The Hound of the Baskervilles was a reread for me), but the stories were very much hit-or-miss.
Athena
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Sherlock Holmes has impressed me to no end. I thoroughly enjoyed these stories, I liked that even though they were separate the narrator maintained a timeline to connect them. Similar to Nancy Drew I was a little disappointed that there were only hints of the supernatural with every case having a logical, practical resolution, but only a little. I originally wanted to put the second volume on hold, as I was not ready to depart from Watson and Holmes, until I came to the last story where Watson ...more
Aubrey
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Brilliant. A Study in Scarlet was my very favorite.
A.L. Butcher
Great stories but the formatting of the version was a bit weird, which became off-putting fairly quickly.
Madeline
This month, I have read ten of the short stories for 12th grade British Literature. I am a little disappointed that this was my first foray into the adventures of Holmes and Watson. But, to be trite, better late than never.

What is there to say that hasn't already been said? Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote incredibly compelling tales and created one of the most magnificent characters in the history of literature. Despite more than a century in popular culture with countless interpretations in books,
Matt
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The world’s most revered and famous fictional detective first appeared from the pen of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle almost a 130 years ago, but the author did not finish with his greatest creation until almost 40 years later even after unsuccessfully killing him off. In this first volume of all the collected works that feature Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson, the reader first meets the great detective and his friend through two short novellas, 23 short stories, and the best-known and ...more
Victoria Hitz
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOSH. That took me WAY longer than I thought it would... but I finished it!! I've said this before, but this must have been a marvel in its day... The way Holmes understands natural human reactions and thought processes is still almost super-human-like today! Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius himself to put something like this together... Amazing!
Bridget
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, own
Having undertaken the journey of reading ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories due to my recent infatuation with the terrific BBC television series Sherlock, I am pleased to say I am pleased! Though Sir A. C. D. himself once insisted that he would be disappointed if he were only remembered for creating the character of Holmes, I have to object to such a statement. You should not be disappointed, sir!

These stories are brilliant. They aren't the most quickly-paced things, and they aren't exactly
Sydney
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I remember correctly (it's taken me years to get through this), this volume contains three novellas (A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four, and The Hound of the Baskervilles), and the rest are 14-ish-page short stories. The first two novellas are a bit overlong and messy; the short stories are entertaining but mostly consist of a bunch of talking. The Hound of the Baskervilles, though, is everything you want a Sherlock Holmes story to be; it's the best by far, with mystery, adventure, ...more
Kirsten
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An overall fun read. Ever since the release of the Sherlock Holmes movies, I have envisioned Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law when I read these stories! It was such great casting and it made the book even more enjoyable. As for the stories themselves, they have the potential to be a bit repetitive. But if you read one story at a time as they were originally intended to be read, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Anyways, like I said, a fun and entertaining read, can't wait to start on the ...more
Michael
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The edition I read was from Doubleday and had a preface by Christopher Morley. This was the best detective series ever. It's only shortcoming is that when you finish, you wish you could read them all for the first time. The stories also give some insight to the culture of the time.

I have also read the apocryphal (not really) works. The best is The Seven Percent Solution by Nicholas Meyer followed by The Giant Rat of Sumatra and Meyer's West End Horror.
Tarissa
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes is my FAVORITE literary character of all time. And I've only read half the stories.

I never dreamed I would fall in love with the mastery of one fictional man's capabilities of mind. I now use Holmes' methods of deducing, on an everyday basis. (It's just so hard not to, now that I've learned a few of his tricks.) And yet... there's still so much MORE to take in from this master of deduction!

Volume I = complete.
Volume II = here I come!
Jennifer Rardin
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this in a sixth grade essay contest. My first inkling that maybe I had some talent at writing. Will always love the brilliance of Holmes. Which is why I named my YA protagonist after him.
Rick
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the world of Sherlock Holmes. The Hound of the Baskervilles was my favorite story. Indubitably! Need a break before I read Volume 2.
The Use of the N Word in The Yellow Face 1 2 Jul 25, 2017 09:19AM

• The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories
  • The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It
  • The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories (Hercule Poirot, #21)
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Pygmalion and Three Other Plays
  • Essays and Poems
  • The Metamorphosis and Other Stories
  • Emma
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Adventures of Tom and Huck, #1)
  • Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction
  • Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Tales of New York
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)