Start by marking “Aquaman, Sword of Atlantis: Once and Future” as Want to Read:
Aquaman, Sword of Atlantis: Once and Future

Aquaman, Sword of Atlantis: Once and Future

(Aquaman)

Collecting the acclaimed AQUAMAN #40-45, this volume heralds a fresh beginning for a brand-new Aquaman, as he embarks on a quest for his missing father, discovers the fate of Atlantis, and confronts the terrifying King Shark and the mysterious Dweller as an undersea war breaks out.
Published December 20th 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Aquaman, Sword of Atlantis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aquaman, Sword of Atlantis

Start your review of Aquaman, Sword of Atlantis: Once and Future
Chad
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is the rare dud from Kurt Busiek. It takes place as part of the "One Year Later" initiative DC did after Infinite Crisis. Aquaman is missing only to have a new "kid" take over the reins as Aquaman. He looks like Aquaman and has the same name of Arthur Curry but he's not Orin. It's all very confusing. He begins to learn the ropes from the Dweller of the Deeps and King Shark. Busiek sets this up as a traditional fantasy, just set underwater. The setting sounds great. One of the problems I had ...more
Patrick
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to recommend. I'd say Aquaman fans might enjoy it, but it veers heavily from the established lore of previous Aquaman stories. I stumbled across a used version of this one and thought it was worth a low stakes gamble. Sometimes my reading decisions can be summed up in a simple formula:

Affinity for title character + Relatively low cost = Why the hell not

I didn't mind the slight deviations taken by this book, including Aquaman's origin story. I just decided to get on board
Dan
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I guess at some point Aquaman disappeared. Then some guy with the same name who just happens to have a medical condition where he has to breathe water appears out of nowhere. Giant sharkman gives him Aquaman's costume. People who knew Aquaman call him imposter. Wandering and random fights. This whole book was a wtf moment. Great artwork poor story.
Quentin Wallace
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I was little disappointed with this one. It wasn't terrible, but I was expecting more. And really, all it did was confuse me. This storyline may have been cleared up in later volumes but this one left it all as clear as mud.

So this was part of the One Year Later event, and to be fair most of the books in that series were a little confusing. So in this one we have this guy who is sort of Aquaman, but isn't Aquaman. Then we have a guy who is nothing like Aquaman, but IS Aquaman. Then we have a bun
Gary Butler
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
13th book read in 2017.

Number 543 out of 578 on my all time book list.
Jennifer Juffer
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly? I really liked this book.
Since I'm not hip into all the D.C. comic superheroes, and I was deprived as I child; I didn't watch superhero Saturday morning cartoons, I have no preconceived idea about Aquaman.
I thought the art was pretty good, nothing fantastic.
The writing was a little cheesy, but, hey, they're under the sea...
I'd be speaking a little odd myself. At least, bubbles weren't coming out of their mouths.

I recently read a review of another Aquaman series. I was told there were
Justin
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I realize he's pretty much viewed as the weakest character in the Justice League pantheon, but I always thought Aquaman was a cool superhero. Unfortunately, no creative team in recent memory has ever really been able to do the character justice. They chopped off his hand and replaced it with a hook to make Aquaman edgier. They gave him a hand made of water to make him mystical. Nothing worked, and I finally gave up following the Aquaman comics until Kurt Busiek (Astro City) took a turn with the ...more
Yongyoon
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Aquaman, Sword of Atlantis: Once and Future is considered the pinnacle of Aquaman. I must say, I expected a lot from the high praise from reviewers, but this was one of the weaker series I've read. The Aquaman found in the main Captain America series seems to be where all the better stories are had. Aquaman truly has a lot of potential with the oceans covering 71 percent of the Earth's surface, which would beat out any land nation-states if there ever were such a sea-dwelling nation-state coveri ...more
Alexa Moon
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
The only goof thing about this for me is the art style. I really liked how everything looks and how the characters were brought to life.
That being said, it was very boring, at times hard to follow, super predictable and at the same time very vague?
I though this would follow the actual Aquaman but it was someone else that just wore his cloths and became him? WHAT. I really did not get this story and I think it's because I was so bored.
The art style is the only reason this even has stars. Serious
Sean
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This makes little sense and is a clear indicator of issues people have with DC Comics. An introduction to a new version of Aquaman for no reason isn't needed and these creators have done so much better. Guice's art looks unfinished and underwhelming. The coloring was also muted and unspectacular. Busiek's plot was odd and doesn't answer enough questions to have a complete collection. Overall, an unnecessary addition to the mythos.
Sverre
Murky, scratchy art and ponderous plot. Hard to follow. Out of context when compared to previous book in this series (Sub-Diego).
Brad
May 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, dc
There's an all-new Aquaman after Infinite Crisis, only he has the same name and costume as the last Aquaman. Plus, he gets prophecies from a dude with squid hair that he'll live almost exactly the same life as the last Aquaman. Much like the All-New Atom, what's the point in relaunching a character if you're going to tie him down to previous versions of the character?
Kurt Busiek tries to add a more sword-and-sorcery bent to Aquaman, which is an interesting idea (it's hard to do much with a gu
Nicky
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Yikes, people have been way harsh on this book. It wasn't the hottest thing I've ever read, but it was a fun read.

One reviewer already commented on the sword and sorcery approach, and I think that it works pretty well for Aquaman. It's way better than having him look like a fish out of water while he pals around with the Superfriends. The Sea Devils were a nice touch, too.

The "new Aquaman" concept is odd and doesn't make a whole lot of sense within the confines of this story. I really hope that
Koen
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Well, okay, it's a pretty interesting, yet confusing and farfetched story, seeing the dweller guide the new aquaman to what he will/must become...
Now that I've read it, I am still anxious to find out what will happen next, after that twist at the end :)
One of the things I liked in this Aquaman, was definitely the artwork!
description
Monicaaa
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry, but where's the actual Aquaman? I don't approve of this joker. He's drawn like Beastmaster. I guess Atlantis went to ruin, the actual Arthur Curry disappeared, and his distant cousin Arthur Joseph Curry appears. He was born premature, saved with a serum - so he can barely survive out of water, and is supposed to replace the original.

No. Just no. I don't like this story line one bit. Why are we replacing Aquaman?
Jerry Daniels
Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis fails as a story about birthright. This graphic novel does little to establish "Authur Curry" as a character one can care about before he learns he is the King of Atlantis from an underwater sage. Instead, the title character seems dropped into some underwater adventures and developed as he journeys the seas to meet some allies and foes while engaging in a few battles and trying to find the man he believes is his father. This story is no page-turner.
Anne Barwell
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
DC's tendency to reboot origin stories and characters can be a tad annoying at times, especially with this as they still refer to the original Aquaman. Still, it's an enjoyable story once I got past but that's not what happened/what I remember part. Annoyingly ends on a bit of a cliffie and I don't have access to the next part of the story.
Mina Villalobos
Sep 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
It was a fun read. The new Aquaman doesn't quite make sense, but the Sea Devils were cool and Kind Shark was fun. It had cool concepts and interesting characters, but it seems like such a waste to do away with Arthur I for this.
Hannah Givens
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the King Arthur-esque reboot, and loved the art -- it lends the ocean a certain bleakness, touched with beauty. The story lacks a certain significance for those not familiar with previous versions, though.
Victor Orozco
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is strange. I'm not an Aquaman fan but essentially I presume that this came after some time after the events of the Infinite Crisis. Aquaman in this story is not the real Aquaman?

Definitely can see why he's not that big of a character. Definitely will stick with Superman or Batman. D+
Ola
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Feels almost like a Otherworld story. I've heard that Infinite Crisis messed this story up? King Shark as sidekick worked fine.
Michael
Feb 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
Ploddingly plotted and drowning in murky coloring.
John Yelverton
Aug 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Whoever thought that they could replace the original Aquaman with this clown should be fired on the spot.
Nathan Scott
Paul W.
rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2011
Jose C.
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Aquaman, Volume 1: The Drowning
  • Aquaman, Vol. 1: Unspoken Water
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Aquaman, Vol. 2: Amnesty
  • DC Comics: Bombshells (2015-) #94
  • DC Comics: Bombshells (2015-) #86
  • DC Comics Bombshells, Vol. 3: Uprising
  • DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 5: The Death of Illusion
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

Aquaman (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Aquaman: A Celebration of 75 Years
  • The Aquaman Archives, Vol. 1
  • The Aquaman Archives, Vol. 2
  • Showcase Presents: Aquaman, Vol. 1
  • Showcase Presents: Aquaman, Vol. 2
  • Showcase Presents: Aquaman, Vol. 3
  • Aquaman: The Search for Mera Deluxe Edition
  • Aquaman: Death of the Prince
  • Aquaman (1986) #1 (of 4)
  • Aquaman (1986) #2 (of 4)

News & Interviews