Start by marking “A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend: For Every Guy Who Wants to Be One/For Every Girl Who Wants to Build One” as Want to Read:

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  262 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
On Desperate Housewives, actress Felicity Huffman plays Lynette Scavo, a feisty, resourceful woman who juggles many hats and keeps her man in line. In real life, Huffman is happily married to actor William H. Macy, but she also multitasks with enviable aplomb. Her "good boyfriend" handbook can be read for advantage by both guys new to the role and gals who are wondering if ...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published February 5th 2008 by Tantor Media, Inc. (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend

Dan Schwent
My gf got me this for our one year anniversary as a gag gift (I hope). Funny stuff is contained within its pages along with some practical advice. I look forward to theatrically pulling it out and looking at it during tense relationship moments.
Adalira Morningstar
Mar 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Time travelers from the 50's
Perhaps I am being "overly sensitive" or a "unfunny feminist" but I found this book to be shallow and incredibly patronizing.

This book promises practical relationship advice but instead paints all men as hopeless and totally clueless and paints all women as delicate flowers who spend their time sobbing about every little thing. It implies that women can never be logical because we are mindless slaves to our emotions while men wouldn't understand emotions if they jumped out of a bush naked and p
Jesse
This book is only semi-serious where other (e.g. Mars & Venus) are all serious. It was actually good to read something that had wit as well as wisdom. It’s mostly things I already knew but may or may not pass along to future SOs. It also helps give women some insight into men and what men may have dealt with in the past (e.g. jealous, crazy, and other behaviors seen on Melrose Place).

I agreed with most of it but one thing I absolutely did not agree with is the ‘boxers only’ rule. I am again
Amy Denim
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone over the age of 17
Shelves: read-by-audio
I felt a little bit like I was cheating with this one as I actually listened to it on audio. But what fun that was. I wanted to listen/read this book to get some good insight for the male characters in my writing. I got that, but I also got a couple dozen laugh out loud moments in every chapter. I wish I could actually get guys to read this. I'm guessing more women will pick it up than men, but if they do, they should definitely coerce the men in their lives to at least skim some of it. This is ...more
Kevin
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this a few years back after a couple of bad dating experiences.

It was a quick but enjoyable read. The humor really helped reinforce some of the concepts that might have otherwise been glossed over.

My favorite part of the book was the chapter on the differences in thought processes between men and women (and especially the translations for the women).

Example quote:
"A man's emotional checklist is pretty basic: Am I hungry? Am I sleepy? Am I horny? If he's content in all three areas, h
Jason
Mar 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny. There's some good advice in there, and it's particularly useful to keep in mind how the other gender thinks.

Remember, "Girl math" figures prominently in most women's everyday lives and we men need to be aware of the calculations actually going on in their heads.

For instance, and I'm paraphrasing: Guy says, "I need to lose a few pounds." It's something he'll do between watching TV and drinking beer. Woman says "I need to lose a few pounds" and (here's the girl-math) it equa
Matthew Blocker
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Jillian
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jillian by: Haaloh
A book like this will always have sweeping generalities in it that don't hit home with everyone, so I can only hope most men who read in hope of gaining insight take it with a grain of salt, both treating it as a guidebook (not a source of bible truth) for all women and remembering that all of us are still individuals with our own preferences. (And, it's only fair that we women do the same for men!) There were several sections where I was very happy they addressed a few subjects openly and in a ...more
Tammy
Jun 16, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I thought it would be funny. I did laugh out loud a few times, but that is the sole saving grace.

I may be too cruel: 5% of this book is good, solid advice for guys. However, at least 15% is HORRIBLE, completly inaccurate advice for guys. the remaining 80% of the book is enough babbling about women to make any sane man scream, run for the hills, and join a wolf pack the next time a pretty girl so much as smiles at him.
Farheen
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It speaks to men, but I don't know how many men are actually reading it. It's pretty funny, my favorite part:

"The truth is, we women are so obsessed with our bodies that we often rate our experiences according to how much we weigh or how we feel about the shape we're in. Looking back over snapshots of vacations, we think, "Oh yea, I was a hundred and twenty pounds then, that was a good trip." Or, conversely, "Oh God, I was so fat on that vacation to the Grand Canyon, it was the worst trip."
Marsha
This book really understands what women are like. Yes, the authors confess, we can seem crazy. But we’re not. We’re really not. Don’t give me that look.

This lays down a lot about feminine behavior and the motives behind it. It’s definitely diverting, astute and surprisingly helpful. From dating women to leaving them (but leaving them happy), this book covers modern-day topics with thoroughness and flair. I’m not sure how many men will actually read it but it’s worth their time to take a peek wit
Douglas
Apr 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men
Shelves: relationships
This book was in Oprah's book club. I actually am starting to read a number of books in Oprah's book Club. The book is a lightning fast read. As usual, I pick up a couple things here and there. Its a bit pricey if you buy it new. Get it used.

Some great advice about breakups. Basically, rebounding is bad and though the sex is great, its always better to go back to square one and start over. On the other end, if you are still mulling over your ex, they suggest "Getting over someone by getting und
Gary
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to be the best boyfriend there ever was?? All this & more is just a few chapters away in this honest account of what women hear when we speak & what we don't hear when they speak. Laugh out loud passages make this the most entertaining read I have ever read next to Bridget Jones Diary & Pulp Fiction. Don't delay read this today! A better world awaits where men can express their feelings, apologise and listen and not solve all of women's problems. This is something I always need ...more
Bunny
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is terribly adorable. Adorable may be a wrong word, but that's all I can think of it as.

The book is basically common sense relationship advice for the menfolk. The question is, do I think these ideas are common sense because I'm a woman? Innnteresting.

I can't imagine a man actually reading this. But maybe they should. Plus, it's very funny.

I would've liked for Felicity Huffman to read the audiobook, though.
Jeremy
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining & attractive book that “sheds light on the confusing world of romance” and succeeds in providing insightful advice on how to read and interpret what women really want. So whether you’re an average joe or a Casanova, you will find plenty of refreshing material here that will help you grasp a better understanding of the opposite sex and become a desirable boyfriend and not the dreaded “borefriend”.
Mathew Ostrander
The book was definitely humorous and fun to read, but having just gotten married it wasn't quite as helpful as I would have hoped it to be. I didn't go into it expecting super serious psychological discussions, but I also was hoping for something a little more in depth than was delivered. It's a good starting place for a young awkward teenager to begin I suppose.
All in all an enjoyable funny read.
Leah
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If I could give this book 7 stars, I would. The book is absolutely hilarious, but it really is quite practical. I would suggest it for women who are in for a good laugh and for guys who are in a relationship or plan to be one day.

The advice is phenomenal, the dialogue is hysterical and reads pretty quickly. I seriously loved it. My bf doesn't like to read, but I tabbed a few pages for him and he got a total kick out of them and had an "ahah!" moment.

Go read the book...
Danny
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Haha this book is a joke.

Got it, for what I hope was a gag.

Authors try waaaaay too hard to be funny, but aren't.

Invent stories to support their points, both of which are dumb.

The premise is that girls will never change, so guys have to. Good reasoning.

There is a thing called "compromise". Doubt these ladies have had a strong relationship and if they think they have, the dude was/is probably totally miserable.
Nessie
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour

I'm not sure if this book meant to be amusing or if it was serious, but I took it as funny. Mostly because I don't know any men who would read a book meant to improve them or their relationships, and because it is mostly women who are drawn to this kind of book. So I read it as a humorous read and quite enjoyed it!
Miss Jessica
I didn't finish this for two reasons. First off, I thought it was going to be humorous given that it's written by an actress. It wasn't funny. It was actually trying to be serious. Okay, fine. Except, the psychology of men and women that the author is not really qualified to write about seriously was so overly generalized and sexiest I couldn't finish it.
Liz H {Redd's Reads}
I bought this book for my boyfriend with the intention of personalizing (by writing in the margins my thoughts)it. It turned out pretty well, and my bf loved the conversation openers that my comments led to. This book is actually almost spot-on with the exception of a few generalizations that don't quite fit. The tone of the book is humorous while still delivering clear, concise information.
Lauren
Oct 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lauren by: Courtney Bushway
Shelves: nonfiction
When I first began reading this book I felt that Huffman might be trying too hard to be witty and humorous, but this ended being a quick and enjoyable read. Put a lot of things in perspective (both male and female albeit coming from a female)about relationships as well. Fun pulp illustrations at the beginning of each chapter!
Annie
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, thought provoking, stereotypically true.
It's a mashup of "He's Just Not That Into You" [for men:] and Sex and The City.
I was reading this book on a road trip with my little brother...seeing as he has 0 luck with women and needs to work on bettering himself as a boyfriend, he actually asked to borrow it!
I have read it once, and I read it again.
:D It's a keeper
Andre
Mar 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A remedial course in being a boyfriend. Some things felt like I was learning two many pieces of fruit I have, total, if I have 3 and Liana has 4. Other things, well, I was frankly interested reading (particular, the notes about what you *shouldn't* put up with or ask for). All in all, it was worth a read, just borrow it from someone who has a copy.
Pupilla
Egy vastag Cosmopolitan, amit hibásan megpróbáltak férfiaknak eladni, vagy csak cselesen így öltöztették fel, és a célközönség maradt a nősereglet, aki ki akarja javítgatni a férfi szériahibáit – most megmondom, nem lehet :) Ezzel a könyvvel sem, de strandra tökéletes, és színes, gyönyörű illusztrációi vannak!
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could see how this would be handy for anyone with a boyfriend, although I maintain that the "she doesn't want a solution to her problem, she wants you to empathize" does not apply to me. I am better at offering solutions and appreciate the same.
Teressa
Rather humorous! I was just browsing the Borders bookstore and was attracted to the cover of this book. I picked it up read a page or two and couldn't stop laughing. I tried to read it in one sitting but it was taking too long so I finally bought it. It makes me laugh every time. =)
Mardiah
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely for a good laugh. But, guys, please don't take this really seriously because we, girls, are different from one another. But it did creep me out last few pages on how true it is for me. LOL
Ciara
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I very cute book. I at first misread the title, but after reading it I found it funny and smart for what they were telling boyfriends about us girls. Of course they tend to generalized things so I would one day like to go back and make comments and share. Buy for sons or just want a laugh.
Natalie
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swapped
Clever, surprisingly accurate, and funny. This was a VERY quick read (I literally finished it in just over an hour) and it was entertaining too. Nothing too serious here, fun and informative. I would recommend it to every future BF (boyfriend) of any girl.
  • How Not to Act Old: 185 Ways to Pass for Phat, Sick, Hot, Dope, Awesome, or at Least Not Totally Lame
  • The Choice Effect: Love and Commitment in an Age of Too Many Options
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Work
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College: College
  • Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways
  • Science Rocks!
  • Talk Less, Say More: 3 Habits to Influence Others and Make Things Happen
  • Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest
  • How to Be a Zombie: The Essential Guide for Anyone Who Craves Brains
  • 101 Things You Need To Know. . . And Some You Don't!
  • First on the Moon: A Voyage with Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr.
  • Poplorica: A Popular History of the Fads, Mavericks, Inventions, and Lore That Shaped Modern America
  • Unhooked Generation: The Truth About Why We're Still Single
  • What Would MacGyver Do?: True Stories of Improvised Genius in Everyday Life
  • Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man
  • The Man Who Went to the Far Side of the Moon: The Story of Apollo 11 Astronaut Michael Collins
  • Happiness for Two: 75 Secrets for Finding More Joy Together
  • Dancing with Mrs. Dalloway: Stories of the Inspiration Behind Great Works of Literature
Felicity Kendall Huffman is an American actress. She is known for her role as Lynette Scavo, the hectic busy Super-Mom on the ABC show Desperate Housewives, which earned her an Emmy Award. A year later, her role as a transwoman in the independent film Transamerica earned her a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award nomination, and was praised by many critics.

Huffman is also the co-author of the s
More about Felicity Huffman...