Start by marking “Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)

Sex, Lies, and Online Dating

(Writer Friends #1)

She explained the trouble with Valentine's Day (as if you didn't know!) Now Rachel Gibson tells all about . . .

Sex . . .

What is it about men anyway? Bad cars, bad jobs, even bad teeth—nothing convinces them that they can't snare a Size Two Babe with a D-cup chest. And after way too many internet dates with men named "luvstick" and "bigdaddy182," Lucy Rothschild should know
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Lies, and Online Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Lies, and Online Dating

Start your review of Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)
Alp
Wow, I loved this book! Absolutely exceptional!

When I picked up this one, I didn't know that I was going to read a Romantic Suspense story. But it was ok, I was just a little bit surprised considering most of Rachel Gibson’s books, especially the other books in this series that I already read, are Contemporary Romance. (I got the same feeling I got when I started reading her book, Lola Carlyle Reveals All.) And as always happens when I read her books, I was hooked from the first page and totally
Mo
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lucy was a writer. She worked with words. She filled each of her books with a hundred thousand of them. But only two words cam to mind. Holy Crap! Not eloquent but fitting.

When I went to read this one I saw that my Kindle was at 100% so I had read it already. It did sound a bit familiar but hey, better to re-read a good book than to read a mediocre new book? Right.

She pulled out a pair of jeans and a woman’s marathon T-shirt from the time she’d signed up to run but had accicentally on pur
jenjn79
I can't particularly think of much good to say about this book. I wouldn't say it was downright horribly bad...well, maybe not. It was a waste of $7, though.

The plot isn't exactly original - A serial killer meeting victims online. I've read a number of books with a similar theme. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily, if the author can make their work stand-out from the rest, but for this book, there was nothing to this storyline to separate it from anything else out there. It was all pretty basi
Karen
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“You said ‘Mr. Snookums.’”
A slow grin turned up the corners of his lips. “I must be in love with you,” he said. “The name of your cat doesn’t shrivel my sac anymore.”
Her chest got all achy and she blinked away the sudden stinging in her eyes.
“Well, I must be in love with you, because hearing you talk about your shriveling sac doesn’t make me want to stab my ears.”

I don't think I've read a Rachel Gibson book that I haven't loved. This one, was no exception. It was published in 2006
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, romance
Ah, the trials of online dating in the 2006 frontier. The primitive matchups made a good backdrop for this pseudo-suspense romance. Although the story was kind of basic, I found myself intrigued by the dynamic of two people dating undercover, one for research for her book, the other a cop on a case. And while I thought Quinn was a bit obtuse in thinking Lucy might be the killer because she wrote so evocatively I had to remind myself that a lot of people don't understand how writers work and that ...more
Ginger
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars.
Fun plot and Lucy finally became interesting by the middle of the book. She felt pretty blah to me in the beginning for some weird reason. Quinn was great throughout the whole book so he saved the story.
Dee
3.5 Stars

Funny in places, good story with plenty of tension between H/h......More than a 3 but not quite 4 stars.
Jen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5

This was an okay book - I liked the element of a mystery writer thought to be a serial killer and a police officer getting tangled up together.

I liked the characters and the plot but there still seemed to be some substance missing from it that I couldn't quite put my finger on (which is why I took away half a star).

An easy read if you're looking for something short and cute.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Lucy Rothschild, mystery writer, is doing a research on online dating. Her next book is about a serial killer who kills people she met online so Lucy is doing the same, minus the murders. She is just doing her job.
Quinn ('hardluvnman') is also doing his, dating women who are the most likely suspects in the serial killer case. Someone has already killed three men and Quinn's job is to find the killer. He didn't expect to be this attracted to one of the suspects though. Neither did Lucy expect to
Azita Rassi
Teresa
Rachel was one of the first romance authors that I read and was feeling nostalgic. This was a bit dated and not my favorite of hers, but it was narrated by one of my faves, Kathleen Early, and so I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-tbr, 4-star
4 Stars

Consistently Rachel Gibson. Another enjoyable read.

Happy Reading!
turniip
”People met under unusual circumstances all the time.”

Okay so this book is both good and bad for me. I was also grumpy while reading it so I might be being pickier than I need to be.

Lucy is a mystery writer, working on her next book about erotic asphyxiation. Quinn is a cop dating women undercover to find a woman who is murdering men by the same method. They clash and ofc, lovey doveys ensue.

I am a super stan of a protective dude trope, when it’s not creepy. Here it wasn’t creepy, and Quinn ga
Hildy
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good! I listened to the audio for about 60% until my library loan expired and I needed to purchase the book to find out what happened. I really liked both main characters.
Quirky Omega
After a very long time, a male lead forced me to sympathise with him. Poor guy was simply trying to do his job. Falling in love with a suspect while you’re in an under-cover job was bound to be a miserable mess. I suppose the heroine’s allowed to feel indignation at having been considered a suspected serial killer, but give the poor guy a break. He couldn’t have disclosed any information to her. Until she was categorically absolved of any kind of suspicion, he couldn’t have done much to help her ...more
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Finished this one a few days ago but didn't leave a very strong impression on me and I've been dragging my feet to review it :( The murder mystery was good and there were a few cute/funny moments that made me crack a smile but the romance was just lukewarm for me.

There was just too much lying and misleading between both MCs that didn't go over well with me. With both of them starting off on the wrong foot I was honestly expecting more grovelling. Lucy played the betrayed victim but I didn't rea
Jaye Berry
Sex, Lies, and Online Dating is about a writer named Lucy who dates online to meet men to kill. In her mystery novels, that is. On a date with a man named Quinn, they hit it off and Lucy thinks she found one that is different than the others. While he says he is a plumber, Quinn is actually an undercover cop on the hunt of a female serial killer who targets men online and then kills them- and he thinks Lucy might be her.

I've never been so shocked to enjoy a book. Honestly. While it had some issu
Vestacito
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
So I absolutely live for the set-up of this novel. It's convoluted but fun! Basically a murder writer fake dates internet strangers for inspiration for her books. Quinn, the homicide detective, is going on dates on the internet to try to flush out a murderer. It creates this lovely double mistaken identity subplot, which I live for.

Unfortunately, the set-up is the majority of the appeal of this book. While Quinn gives off those non-creepy protective vibes, he legitimately thinks that Lucy is a m
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
a very average read with a touch of romance and fluff but definitely not enough. focused a lot on mystery which I didn't really want lol but oh well. onto the next one!
Anca
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fluffy, entertaining :D
Juliana Philippa
I'm thinking that maybe Sex, Lies, and Online Dating should receive even less than 3 stars, but after reading two previous Gibson books that I absolutely adored (they were my first of hers and total hits: It Must Be Love and See Jane Score) I'm reluctant to give a worse rating.

The writing was good I guess, though Gibson sometimes cuts up her sentences very oddly and one feels like a period was put in one place when it should have been a few words earlier or later. On the plus side, Lucy's female
Shxrxn
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will always feel the loss of her, but that doesn’t mean I have to stand in one place and feel the pain of it every day. For the rest of my life.
- Quinn
Aren’t double standards a bitch?
- Lucy
I want to be with you. I like being with you. When I’m not with you, I’m thinking about you. No one else. Just you.
- Quinn
I wanted you more than I can ever remember wanting anything in my life.
- Quinn
I thought you were going to keep your hands to yourself.
- Lucy
Fuck that.
- Quinn
Are you going to remember me o
Ali
This was good up until the secret came out about him being a cop. After he treated her like sh*t an was rude to her for no reason. He was the one that lied to her for so long and took it to far. Then he said he only did it for his job as in he didn't care about her at all. And what does she do? Falls at his feet the moment he does something remotely nice. PATHETIC! Is all the heroines of this author this weak? and is all her hero's a**holes?
Jen
Nope. Not even 15 minutes in and I'm hearing awkward pauses and a forced cadence to Kathleen Early's audiobook phrasing. This is going to have to be one for print if indeed I do end up picking it up again. I think this is a case of personal preference and not voice talent or casting - but it's decidedly not for me.
✎Stacey "The One Night Biter"
I liked this cute read few sizzle parts and the author didn't give it away who done it too soon

I'll keep up with this series
Sharon :)
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good audiobook a must if you have the Audible Romance Package!!!!
catzkc
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Funny, sexy, sweet. Good mix of mystery and romance.
Kimberly Kowalski
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so freaking cute. I was hooked by the premise of an author 'dating' guys she met on message boards in order to use them as inspiration for victims in her mystery novels. I ended up really liking the characters and enjoying the murder mystery element as well.
Quenya
Good little romantic mystery

I kind of wish I could give this story 3.5 stars because it wasn’t 4 star but it was better than a 3 star one. The story was really good and enjoyed the idea of writers all being friends and each writing in a different genre. This makes the whole series intriguing to me.

I like the chemistry between the two main characters. The author did a good job of building the tension between the characters. The story is a little overdone with the whole serial killer mimicking an
Jenn Scranton
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAHA! Sex, Lies, and Online Dating definitely put a smile on my face this Saturday! Just goes to show that honesty is the best policy!

Lucy is a murder mystery writer and she uses online dating programs to go on "dates" to do research for her books. Basically, she takes down mental notes on the people and then she "kills them off"... In her book of course! But she doesn't realize that some crazy woman is using her books as an instruction manual and committing real crimes!

Now Quinn is a cop who

• Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1)
  • Simply Sinful (Simply #1)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys, #1)
  • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
  • Undeniably Yours (Kowalski Family, #2)
  • Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Just the Sexiest Man Alive
  • Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1)
  • Good Girls Don't (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #1)
  • Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Practice Makes Perfect
  • The Cinderella Deal
  • About That Night (FBI/US Attorney, #3)
  • Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4)
  • Body Heat (Simply, #4)
Rachel Gibson is a New York times and USAToday bestselling author of 21 books.

Writer Friends (4 books)
  • I'm In No Mood For Love  (Writer Friends, #2)
  • Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)
  • Not Another Bad Date (Writer Friends, #4)