Start by marking “The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events #7)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  99,513 Ratings  ·  2,089 Reviews
Dear Reader,
You have undoubtedly picked up this book by mistake, so please put it down. Nobody in their right mind would read this particular book about the lives of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire on purpose, because each dismal moment of their stay in the village of V.F.D. has been faithfully and dreadfully recorded in these pages.I can think of no single reason why
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published April 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Vile Village, please sign up.

Annabelle The language is fairly basic (with definitions provided for less-basic words) and the sentence structures are definitely easy for a young child to…moreThe language is fairly basic (with definitions provided for less-basic words) and the sentence structures are definitely easy for a young child to understand, but there are several references and allegories that would probably fly over a young child's head, with pretty cutting social commentary. (less)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I didn't like this one as much.

The kids are sent to a vile village to live. It was filled with weirdos and crows. And of course Count Olaf, I'm beginning to think he has a tracking device on them !

And the mystery of the Quagmire Triplets grows!
Mark Lawrence
The Vile Village is where the whole VFD thing really starts to take off and the original formula of a new guardian followed by Olaaf turning up in a new disguise starts fraying.

The village is quite fun, replete with dozens of vile villagers, hundreds of ridiculous rules, and thousands upon thousands of crows.

The off-beat humour continues with Sunny's one worders and their elaborate translation, and the extreme stupidity of everyone who isn't a Baudelaire.

The penalty for breaking almost any villa
Drew
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_to_kids
Here at the halfway point of the series, the author is finally dropping more hints and clues about what seems to be a rather large conspiracy against the Baudelaire orphans, the Quagmire orphans, and I gather orphans everywhere who have large fortunes to be acquired.

The search for the Quagmire triplets in The Ersatz Elevator ended with a literal red herring, but The Vile Village is almost entirely red herring, as the children are sent to become the wards of a village known only by the mysteriou
Melanie (Novel Descent)
“There is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time.”

I don't really have a lot to say about this book. It was ok, there were some cute parts. I like that the book always has some spot-on satire about society and adults especially. This book did push the series along a bit but I'm getting tired of the formula with these books. Orphans go to terrible place, all the adults are horrible human beings, the orphan
Ashley Daviau
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to dive back into this series after taking a little break from it! This book is definitely one of the stranger ones in the series in my eyes. Something about a village adopting children and the crows mixed together was incredibly creepy! But that doesn't mean I enjoyed this book any less, in fact I think it made me enjoy it more. As the series goes on, the books really become more intricate and mature and I find that's particularly prominent in this one!
Kate (GirlReading)
This was bizarre but another fun read! It genuinely had me anxious as times and worried for what was going to happen. I'm enjoying the way the plot is starting to somewhat (very slightly) deviate away from the original formula and new characters, mysteries and objectives are being added. I'm still not entirely sure where this series is heading (although I have my guesses) so I'm still very intrigued!
Swaye
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, 2017
The most lackluster, nonsensical and frustrating of the series so far.

Regardless, I love the Baudelaires with all my heart and can't wait to devour the next book!

Irene△⃒⃘
3.2/5

"For sapphires we are held in here.
Only you can end our fear."

This is definitely my least favorite out of the whole series so far.
It was just okay, nothing exciting happens in here.

I liked at the beginning the idea of the entire village that adopts the kids and all the absurd rules that were created for the habitants.
Then it became pretty boring to be honest. The most exciting part was definitely the "riddles" that were left for the children by their missing friends.
It was fun to build th
Nicholas Karpuk
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had to draw a line in the sand with the Snicket books between overly formulaic but funny, and genuinely well put together, I'd put it within the first few chapters of The Vile Village.

There's a few things absent from this read through, most of them positive. He isn't constantly reiterating the three children's skills in a "this is for Violet, this is for Klaus, this is for Sunny" sort of rhythm. There guardian is slightly more relatable, and altogether decent guy who gets severely skittish
Carlos.
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
El mejor hasta ahora sin duda ninguna. POR FIN le pasa a estos niños algo """bueno""".
First Class Realty Lake Villa Il 1 5 Nov 09, 2017 11:12PM
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Terrible Times (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #3)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Public Enemies (On The Run, #5)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 2: The Winter Knights: Second Book of Quint
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Calder Game (Chasing Vermeer, #3)
  • Mermaids Don't Run Track
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
“It is true, of course, that there is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time. You might know someone for several years, for instance, and trust him completely as your friend, but circumstances could change and he could become very hungry, and before you knew it you could be boiling in a soup pot, because there is no way of knowing for sure.” 56 likes
“Normally I don't approve of children staying up late,' he said finally, 'unless they are reading a very good book, seeing a wonderful movie, or attending a dinner party with fascinating guests.” 43 likes