Start by marking “The Claw” as Want to Read:
The Claw

The Claw

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published October 1st 1982 by Doubleday Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Claw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Claw

Mary
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
The man was a loving husband and father, however outside his home he personified evil with each rape that he committed. The only thing that each victim can remember is the claw that he uses during each attack. With each brutal or deadly attack that is committed, police and the townspeople are terrified that they might be next.

I received this book all the way from Germany. I must admit that I had read it before but totally forgot the plot. I had read some reviews that actually didn't like this b
Softwear
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
The Claw was one of the last books that Lofts wrote, and seems to have been written, not for joy or pleasure but as a Project. To accomplish something. Those books often turn out badly. I have read several of Lofts' books, and almost all the others I've enjoyed more than this.

While reading,the question that haunted me was, is The Claw anti-feminist? The derogatory remarks about women (especially female police officers!), the callous use of the word "rape," the seeming insensitivity to the emotio
Kate Downton
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nina
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Unusual novel for Lofts, who ordinarily writes historical novels. This was set in modern times and contained a little witchcraft, like one of her other books, The Wax Doll. Although the book had rape and murder in it, it was done in the restrained British style. You get the idea without having to know every last gory detail. Good book, although I was a little disappointed in the ending. Kind of leaves something hanging.
Nancy
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just reread this and am amazed (again) at the talent and genre jumping of Norah Lofts. Horror at its best, like all else in life is handled better with the finesse of a scalpel than the bludgeoning of a club. Creepy,scary, and a damn fine read......
Paula Brandon
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is about rape, not vicious man-eating cats! If you can get past that disappointment, you'll get a dry, unremarkable story about a town's reaction to the rapist in their midst. Which is pretty disappointing too!
Lisa Greer
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
This one is way weird. But it is somewhat interesting. In the end, like the rest of her works, it did not do it for me. I won't be reading anymore books by Lofts.
Pha
Mary Ann
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts