Start by marking “Orange Crush” as Want to Read:
Orange Crush

Orange Crush (Serge A. Storms #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  3,273 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
The Republicans' "golden boy" -- and a loyal, unquestioning tool of the powerful special interests -- handsome, unthreatening, Florida governor-by-default Marlon Conrad seems a virtual shoo-in for re-election. That is, until he undergoes a radical personality shift during a bloody military action in the Balkans. Now it's just three weeks before the election and Marlon is s ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published July 3rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Orange Crush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orange Crush

Political chicanery in Florida takes a hilarious turn in this comic novel.

Florida Lt. Governor Marlon Conrad, who's handsomer than a movie star, is part of a political dynasty that knows how to get the job done - that is, get elected and get rich. Marlon's father, expecting his son to enter politics, taught the boy to take graft from the rich and powerful, disdain the poor and disenfranchised, and fry criminals in the electric chair.....which is generally popular with the public.

Mike French
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If either Dave Berry or Carl Hiaasen had a wacky brother that was kept locked in the basement,he must have changed his name to Tim Dorsey! I enjoyed the roller coaster ride from start to finish about Florida politics and I am sure you will too.
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: Read in 2006, but such a good book I want to make sure this review is seen again!

My Synopsis: Marlon Conrad never had to do any real work in his life, being raised in the traditional Ultra Conservative Way ("Marlon Conrad learned everything he knew about life from his father . . . Rule Number One: At any given moment, poor people, somewhere, somehow, were screwing them. From this maxim all other rules flowed."), until - while running for Lt. Governor - a reporter uncovered the fact that he
Stacy Fetters
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Capitalists don’t want free trade any more than they want whooping cough. Their nature is to conglomerate, homogenate, vertically integrate and dominate until there is no competition. The rules? Screw the rules! They’ll rig the game, spit on the ball, bribe the refs, tilt the playing field, pork the cheerleaders and kick free enterprise in the nuts.”

When I first saw this cover, one thing comes to mind, REM. And then I thought, wait for just one second, there are two things that pop into my mi
Arguably the worst of Tim Dorsey's first three novels, "Orange Crush" starts out in typical Dorsey fashion, introducing several strange characters, most of them tied in to the 2002 Florida Gubernatorial election. I really enjoyed the first third of the story; the characterizations were tight and was easy to follow...then the main protagonists (a reformed Republican and his entourage) go on a election tour in an RV. That's where the story hits the skids for me. Frightfully dull and contrived. Dor ...more
Barbara Nutting
This one was more scrambled than some of the others - or maybe it was because I was painting my bathroom between chapters??? I am still looking for Coleman???? He's in book one and then not in two or three - I'm just going to keep reading the series to find when and how he raises from the dead!! As far as the Governorship goes in Florida, Serge A Storms would be a better choice than Rick Scott. Scott should make the long walk from Tallahassee to Key West and then just keep on going!!
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the few editions in this series, I have liked this one the best. And it can be read as a standalone without too much trouble, I think. I simply love his satirical funny take on politics and life in Florida. Trump would have ruled Florida in Dorsey's wild world, and I wonder if he doesn't shake his head and say to himself "I created a monster." Readers who like to laugh and have even some knowledge of what it is to be a Floridian should gravitate to and adore these books.
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible continuation of Dorsey's first two books, Florida Roadkill and Hammerhead Ranch Motel. Our favorite serial killer/hero Serge (although incognito) returns with his madman encyclopedic knowledge of Florida lore and several more ingenius variations on how to produce bodies. A slew of new characters are introduced : Babs (the puppet lady with trauma-inducing talents), Helmut von Zeppelin (the evil mastermind behind dirty politics), Jackie (persistant gold-digger), Escrow (twist ...more
I had mixed emotions about this book. It was consumed as an audio book and I wasn't completely enthralled by the narrator. The story involves a young man named Marlon Conrad who is groomed to be a future governor of Florida. The young man is largely uninterested, disengaged, totally unqualified and allowing himself to be pushed around by his father's contingent of supporters. He was groomed for the job with the expectation that he'd be told what to say and what to do by his powerful and connecte ...more
Jerry B
Jul 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Our first Tim Dorsey will be our last. Nothing but a "Carl Hiassen" on steroids, this novel barely qualifies as a crime story -- we don't even remember what the crime was, other than some half-baked sniper attempts. Rather, it is a farce filled with zany character names, absurd action, and silly plot developments, which might qualify at best as a sarcastic look at a Florida gubernatorial election campaign. When do-nothing Lt. Governor Marlon Conrad, who has paid his way into that post, suddenly ...more
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In this meth spree of a novel, Dorsey takes on American politics, as Republican dynasty golden boy Marlon Conrad runs for Florida governor, but turns his campaign around after a soul-changing experience in combat in the Balkans. As his handlers panic and tycoons bluster, several individuals independently strike out to assassinate him. Unbeknownst to, well, everyone, one of Conrad’s handlers is serial killer and maniac Serge Storms, currently suffering from amnesia.

This book has many classic twis
Rex Fuller
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The peculiar form of shared lunacy that reading Tim Dorsey's books manifests is progressive and congenital. The more you read the more truth emerges from sarcasm. He says of TV political ads, "The strategy shifted from 'the message' to brand recognition after it was learned that most campaigns were decided during the selection of color scheme, typeface and logo...[C]ampaign workers auditioned fonts and swatches...It was discovered that simple equaled good. A maximum of two colors, and icons less ...more
Jeff Yoak
I had to give up about half way through. The first Dorsey book I read was When Elves Attack: A Joyous Christmas Greeting from the Criminal Nutbars of the Sunshine State which was completely delightful, but Orange Crush is my third try after that book, and they've all been disappointing. They all have an appearance of Serge Storms, but at the halfway point of Orange Crush, it is only a brief mention, and otherwise it is reads like an especially weak Carl Hiaasen novel. I'm just going to have to g ...more
This is another wild and crazy trip through Florida, this time focusing on the 2002 Gubernatorial race. This time out our favorite anti-hero Serge Storms keeps a low profile for the most part as we focus in on the candidates and campaigners involved in this festival of lunacy. Dorsey does an amazing job of building a wild cast of characters and keeping the insanity coming for the length of this novel. Recommended if you've enjoyed the first two books in this series, but would not recommend start ...more
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Carl Hiaasen
Shelves: 2010
One of my favorites.

I am not sure how I missed this one, since I try to read books in the order the author wrote them, but this one, I did.

I throughly enjoyed the characters and even though Serge didn't have his normal role in this one there was still the quirky humor and renegade justice present.

I need to remember to save Dorsey books for vacation because I can never put them down and end up staying up way to late to see what happens next.
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This one was a whacky surprise for sure. The third book in a series that started with a two star reviewed book. So how do we get up to a four star? This book is a real goofy look at the political race for Governor in Florida with a couple of really whacked out opponents. I actually found myself smiling and even laughing out loud as I read this one. Now I am beginning to look forward to reading more in this series. What a strange development.

A hilarious walk on the surreal side with the inimitable Serge A. Storms. This is an early book in the series that follows a bunch of loons during the course of a hotly contested American election in Florida. It's political satire taken to the nth degree as campaigns descend into quagmire of cheating, lies, name calling, mud slinging, misogyny, racism.......wait......this is fiction, right?
Entertaining (& frighteningly prescient) read.
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice break from the search for the suitcase with the $5 million. Interesting change of pace for Serge; very interesting cast of characters in this story. Ready for installment #4. 5 out of 10 for me on this one.
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is not as much humor as I'm accustom to in this Dorsey novel. Either that, or its just minimally funny. 4 of 10 stars
David Hughes
Ending was too madcap. Funny hard hitting satire on the ever-lowering bar of human decency and intelligence in United States society in general,though...
Sandie Herron
The last Presidential election certainly provided some fodder for Tim Dorsey’s third zany, wacky, over-the-top satirical novel. Dorsey swears that the book was mostly written before the nation turned its unbelieving eyes to Florida and the ballot disaster. I suppose I must say that, as a Floridian, the really sad part is that many pieces of this seemingly maniacal story really have happened! Thankfully, Dorsey has put his own spin on events and made them wildly entertaining.

Marlon Conrad was bro
Glen U
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book to read after our recent presidential election. Hilarious, well written, fast paced and shows the ridiculousness of the political world. This is actually the third in the Serge Storm series and as is all of the series, is an excellent satirical crime novel. It also is irreverent and, I think, quite realistic in Dorsey's portrayal of the political system. Dorsey, along with Christopher Moore, Bill Fitzhugh, Elmore Leonard, and Carl Hiaasen continue to be at the forefront of the ...more
Dr T
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny book. Dorsey is clearly trying to out-funny Hiaasen, and maybe he does it. Hiaasen's books however are generally much more coherent than this one. This blatant attempt at humor gets rather old, especially early in the book, and gets in the way of plot development. The last third of the book is much better than the earlier pages. The story revolves around the governor's election race, showing the various levels of corruption at all levels in Florida.
Kathleen Gray
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten how wacky and entertaining Dorsey can be. This is a timely novel of crazy politics but Serge Storm comes through in the end. Thanks to Netgalley for the DRC of a reissue of this novel, which I read when it originally came out but which I appreciate a bit more now.
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was very Carl like. It was even in the same place. Only one or two LOL. I do have to say that it was not predictable (which I liked) and it moved along. Coming off of a dry spell for reading and went through this one in a weekend.
Jim Duff
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. My third Serge book, sometimes I get a headache from the pace and laughing. Give ole Serge a try!
Timothy Kenny
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny, as Tim Dorsey tends to be. His ability to simultaneously be absurd and still weave an engaging, well-thought out plot is unequaled.
Pam Brake
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this whole series. Dark humor with such great characters. Total diversion!
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still mayhem.
Larry Hostetler
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A bit different from the other Serge Storms books I've read (and I'll get to them all eventually).

Set during a campaign for Florida Governor, there are plenty of Dorseyish wacky characters, and it isn't until halfway (or so) through the book Serge is "introduced."

There are several scenes of mayhem and humor, and a little less Florida trivia than in some other books in the series.

But the natural building of suspense that a political campaign creates works well in this plot. And while it is diff
Madison Mega-Mara...: Orange Crush 1 5 Mar 21, 2012 06:10AM
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Double Whammy
  • Heart Seizure
  • Casual Rex (Anonymous Rex #2)
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey...

Serge A. Storms (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Back at the Rash [a Florida nightclub], a waif in a lime latex body tube went into the rest room to snort the newest designer drug, XGB5, which gave people the uncanny sensation of throwing money away while chewing their own lips off. It was hard to come by and everyone had to have it.” 1 likes
“Do not disturb!’ ‘No molestar!’—ever get the idea some things aren’t translating right?” 1 likes