Start by marking “The Pie and Pastry Bible” as Want to Read:
The Pie and Pastry Bible

The Pie and Pastry Bible

The Pie and Pastry Bible is your magic wand for baking the pies, tarts, and pastries of your dreams—the definitive work by the country's top baker.

-More than 300 recipes, 200 drawings of techniques and equipment, and 70 color pictures of finished pies, tarts, and pastries

-Easy-to-follow recipes for fruit pies, chiffon pies, custard pies, ice-cream pies, meringue pies, ch
Published November 11th 1998 by Scribner

Start your review of The Pie and Pastry Bible
Janie
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eats
Sometimes Rose is a little too thorough with her recipes. While pastry is certainly involves science, there is an element of instinct that comes from practice. Touch and sight are immeasurably important when working with pastry. But Rose leaves little room for that. She is obsessively precise, especially when it comes to pie crust. While her recipes work, you don't have to go through all the steps of freezing and refreezing butter. Rose, have a cocktail and relax a little. The butter will be fin ...more
This book is amazing and has everything you’d ever want to know about pastry. Rose Levy Beranbaum provides tips on how to make the lightest and flakiest crusts. I used pastry flour for the first time while making these recipes, and I can tell you this made a huge difference. If you can’t find pastry flour that’s okay because Beranbaum shows you how to make your own by combining bleached all-purpose flour and cake flour. She also goes into the science behind pie and pastry baking, which I appreci ...more
Sara Bakhshi
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
It was a good book.
ItsAboutTheBook
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faye
Review can be read at It's About The Book

If you have never made a pie and would like to become highly skilled and proficient, this is the book for you. If you already know what you’re doing and want to buy one pastry book for the rest of your life, this is it. Rose Levy Beranbaum treats baking like the delicious science it is. Not only do you learn the specific steps for successful pastry, but you learn why they work. If you’re a person, like me, who has to have a reason for following the ru
Gaufre
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first day I opened this book, I read 100 pages of it. It is a cookbook for crying out loud. It is made of recipes I can follow; I wasn't supposed to read it. And that's what makes this book remarkable.

Where I grew up, getting good pastry was just a matter of trying the different "patisseries" in town and picking my favorite one. Then I moved to the US.

For years now, I have made the most American of all pies: the apple pie. My husband complimented it. I was wondering if he was just being ni
Donna
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Best advice in the book: Placing the pie pan on the floor of your oven. Alternatively, if you have a pizza stone another excellent choice for a crisp bottom crust.

2014 update, the chocolate cream pie (pg 202) is beyond wonderful. So smooth and intensely chocolate, but beware!! There is actually a printing error - at least in my edition. The ingredients list 3 cups of milk divided, but in the directions you're instructed to add the remaining 3 3/4 cups. So glad my brain woke up and said wait.. wh
Kathryn
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, cookbooks
I cannot wait to try her pie crusts. Peach pie is first on the list with cream cheese crust!
D Dyer
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I don’t make a lot of pies. To be honest I am more of a crisp and crumble kind of girl. But this is one of those books I turn to you whenever I feel the need for some bit of complicated pastry work that I am not equipped for naturally. All of the recipes are solid, the writing is clear, and the book is extremely comprehensive. If you were only going to have one pastry book in your cookbook collection this isn’t a bad one. My one objection may lie in the fact that while it is heavy on the classic ...more
erik
Feb 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book opens with a 70 page chapter on pie crusts in which each recipe is layed out neatly in a table with weights and measures for 3 or 4 different sizes of crust. Each has instructions for preparation by hand or by food processor. Rose Levy Beranbaum is the most maniacally exacting and detail-oriented cookbook author I've ever read. I wouldn't want to live with her, but I sure do love this book.

The fresh blueberry pie may change your life.
Amber
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great for the classics and more refined dessert -I don't love the way the book has different components on different pages/sections but given it more thought it does make sense since the different components can be used for many different desserts.

This isn't the book I run to if I want something quick and easy but it is if I want something rich, decadent and something I am proud to have baked!
Lily
Aug 08, 2009 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
the grape pie took me HOURS to make, but it was phenomenal! highly recommend
Sophia
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. It's too detailed, and I feel like I'm being micromanaged...
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Happy birthday to me! How bad can it be?
Shannon
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely buying this as a reference source for the kitchen. And to just look at and dream. Now I just need it to be Autumn so I can justify making lots of pies.
Jason Licker
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book a great foundation for any home baker or aspiring pastry chef. This book is well though out and very methodical. You will not just learn solid recipes, but you will learn the reactions and why things happen when you mix the ingredients as you make her recipes. She is very thorough, which may put off some people, but it greatly interests me. I love the why's and how's of the science of baking. The only aspect I do not like, which is common with most older books, is the lack of photograp ...more
Fiona
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ottolenghi recommended it as his pastry bible. It is full of tips and hints and beautiful little touches. Will I use it everyday no. Will it remain on my recipes shelf, hell yes.
It won the professional cookbook of the year award and that classifies it.
it is for the serious cook and the cornerstone of serious baking techniques.
All the pastries and tarts you have longed to make like the professionals This tour de force has the answer.
Kathleen
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great pie recipes from crust to finish...a fine addition to the baker's library.
Allison
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I’m an at-home cook. I feel you need to be a professional to use these recipes. There are only a few pages with pictures, and holy cow, are they masterfully done! Beautiful works of art.
Lucylu57
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great pie resource! I've tried about half the recipes in the book so far, and they're fantastic, although I do increase the filling on the fruit pies. (No skinny pies here!)
Rachel Rogers
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Haven't really made anything from this book but have used it as reference many times. The recipes and pictures make me drool.

2/19/08- Made the Chocolate Cream pie over the weekend, other than the piecrust (which was my family recipe). Amazing for a once in a while treat! Didn't need quite as much chocolate as the recipe called for, so says a chocoholic, but still it was divine. It won't replace Chocolate Cream Pie made with a from-the-box-cooked pudding mix, but fun to make and even more fun to
Cecily
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cecily by: Marissa
Shelves: cookbooks
This is one of the Young family's favorite cookbooks--especially since we have an annual pie night. While the crust shrink a lot, the recipes in this book are great. Our personal favorites are: Danish pastries, Banner Banana Pie, Brownie Puddle, Kiwi Lime Tart, Fresh Blackberry Pie. I also made the Brioche, but since I had never tasted Brioche before, I'm not 100% sure about the outcome. (I also accidentally overcoooked them.)
Mary Alexandra
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Holds hundreds of pies and pastry recipes. Everything from this book taste as good as it looks or vice versa. It's a book I'd recommend to the brave, because these recipes are not very easy and seem daunting to follow. I love this book. It has a whole chapter on how to make different kinds of pie crust. Truly, the best and only book you need to make a pie you'll never be forgotten for.
Kylie Briggs
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Chocolate peanut butter Tart - 4 stars - Delicious and easy

Brownie Puddle Tart - 5 stars - My husband declared this to be the best brownie he's ever had. I should have cooked it another minute or two but slightly underbaked didn't hurt us. (Just don't tell Rose!) It was better the next day - Rose said it would be but who could wait to cut into it with my apartment smelling of chocolate? I had lots of leftover ganache but I just drizzled it on top of the brownie and called it good.
Douglas Hitzel
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn about pastry making then this is the book for you! Rose never ceases to amaze me in how thorough and complete her teaching is. If the details seem overwhelming I suggest you "hang in there" with her as those details will help you make your own baking decisions and creations later. Highly recommended.
Camille Rowe
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first time I read her instructions on making pie crust I scoffed at the amount of time and effort compared to normal pie crust. But the first time I actually made the crust her way, it was like taking my pie baking to a whole new level. I haven't made all the recipes yet, but so far, every one has been a winner.
Larry Edwards
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Though there are many books on the market dealing with pies and pastries, I don't think there is any other book which covers them in such detail as this book. Aside from the wonderful recipes, there are also many wonderful tricks divulged to make sure what comes out of your oven will be tasty and look stunning.
Karen Christian
Mar 24, 2008 marked it as to-read
I am borrowing this book from my daughter Sarah in hopes of learning how to make a decent pie crust. I think the book is the ultimate on the subject, although I know that Aki Okuno could probably write a better one!
Martina
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Have only just started to scratch the surface of this, but so far the recipes are detailed and easy to follow (though somewhat involved). Fun and easy recipes for cookie crust, and the peach pie recipe is stupendous!
Ann Johnson Davis
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
If you liked The Cake Bible (I love it) you'll like The Pie and Pastry Bible. So much information! Just what I love in a cookbook. I especially like that she gives both volume and weight measurements.
G--
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Perfect recipes make stunning food. But give yourself an entire day per recipe. For perfectionists only. The honeybee pie is amazing [subtle, unexpected taste and glamorous looks] but takes many hours.

• The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • Tartine (Baking Cookbooks, Pastry Books, Dessert Cookbooks, Gifts for Pastry Chefs)
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
  • King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains
  • Baking: From My Home to Yours
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?
  • Baking
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
  • The Taste of Home Cookbook
Rose Levy Beranbaum is an award-winning American baker and cookbook author.

News & Interviews