Start by marking “The Cat That Walked By Himself” as Want to Read:
The Cat That Walked By Himself

The Cat That Walked By Himself

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
"HEAR and attend and listen; for this befell and behappened and became and was, O my Best Beloved, when the Tame animals were wild. The Dog was wild, and the Horse was wild, and the Cow was wild, and the Sheep was wild, and the Pig was wild—as wild as wild could be—and they walked in the Wet Wild Woods by their wild lones. But the wildest of all the wild animals was the Ca ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by British Library Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Cat That Walked By Himself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat That Walked By Himself

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienOn the Road by Jack KerouacThe Odyssey by HomerThe Road by Cormac McCarthy
Road Trip
337 books — 219 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
1,379 books — 1,547 voters

More lists with this book...

Althea Ann
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The Cat That Walked by Himself

An entertaining fable about how humans domesticated animals. Several species here make what they think is a good bargain - but the house cat is clearly the cleverest of all.
Amina
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I love cats and their savage nature. They live with us (we live with them I mean) but still, when the moon gets up and the night comes they are the cats that walk by themselves and all places are alike to them.
Berna Labourdette
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de las excelentes historias que cuenta Kipling en su antología "Just so Stories" que rescata Nórdica. Una deliciosa fábula que cuenta el origen de la domesticación de los animales y como el Gato se mantiene al margen de ésta. Es uno de mis recuerdos más queridos de infancia la lectura de estos cuentos :)
Bioquímica da Leitura
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-readings
Opinião do blogue Bioquímica da Leitura https://bioquimicadaleitura.blogspot.pt/2017/04/the-cat-that-walked-by-himself-de-shoo.html

Esta história é passada nos tempos da "pré-história", muito rudimentares, no qual está a dar-se os primeiros passos na domesticação dos animais.
Um casal vive numa gruta e aceita animais com eles em troca de algo que lhes possam providenciar.
Até que aparece o gato que caminha sózinho e fica intrigado pelas posses e capacidades dos homens, porém a mulher não o quer lá
معصومه توکلی
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: کودک
بانمک و غریب...
Trent Gillespie
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Benedict Fox
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Regarding the picture book version, illustrated by Nina Price...

Kipling's tale brilliantly captures the often apathetic and aloof nature of cats as well as joyfully offering explanation as to why some animals became subservient to humans. As one of many 'Just So' stories, I find it provided less of thematic hook than something like 'How the Camel Got His Hump' but is, in this version, entirely lifted by Price's expressive and page-engulfing illustrations.
James
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly fun and entertaining book to read for both children and adults alike. As time goes on, and with reading enough Rudyard Kipling, you can begin to see many different sides and facets to his writing abilities. This was a true joy to read.
Neenee
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-2016
A cute little story about an independent, quick-witted cat that walks by himself.
Diego Sánchez Pérez
Interesante cuento desde el punto de vista de un gato que trata de lidiar con humanos teniendo animales de mascota y el gato siendo algo vago. Pasable
l.
Feb 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Trust this racist misogynist evil man not to understand that humans have loved and admired cats since first they saw them. The idea of a woman banning cats for them failing to be obedient until they charm her, lol..... (most women understand that cats are a gift). the idea that dogs and men attack cats for failing to be obedient... lol. (men abuse animals bc they are trash and many dogs are trash too, lbr.)

anyway cats are alive and Kipling is dead
Xósem Amero
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esto es un libro de gatos. El protagonista es un gato y en el más estricto sentido, su lectura se debería restringir a los de su especie. Pero como eso no sería lo más comercialmente atinado, dejemos que otros animales lo lean, incluso el hombre mismo. Al que de plano debe quedar vedado el libro es al perro, pues podría caer en un síncope que trastornaría su comportamiento y perronalidad.

El breve relato de Ruyard Kipling, primer autor indio/inglés en ganar el Premio Nobel de Literatura, es una m
Graeme Syed
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, short, "just so" story that takes the reader back to the dawn of man and the creation of his relationships with the animals. The edition I read is not the one pictured and does not appear to be listed on Good reads. It was published in 1982 by Macmillan and is very nicely illustrated by William Stobbs.

The outline story tells how the dog, horse and cow become friends with man's wife (and then man himself), who bargains with all of them in turn to fulfil a certain role in return for
Realini
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Cat that Walked by Himself by Rudyard Kipling

I remember seeing a documentary about Kipling, in which it was said that Kipling was a super star in his day. Back then, in the absence of Paris Hilton and David Beckham, a great writer enjoyed fame and a “coverage „which is nowadays reserved for the celebrities of Hollywood or from the tabloids.

The Cat that Walked by Himself is a short story about how the cat, the dog, the horse and the cow met the man of the caves. We learn about their domestica
Pynteya Bate
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This story is very interesting because it makes up a cute tale about how dogs, cows, cats, and other animals became domesticated (like pets). In this story, a man and a woman move into a cave and try to make the animals their pets. One thing they do is build the doghouse for the dog, but the cat will not come in and join them. He refuses to be a pet and wants to “Walk by Himself.” After some events pass, the woman offers him a deal, that he can come in and sit by the fire with them and have some ...more
Jo Bennie
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k
A beautiful little hardback published by the British library, suitable for adults and for children both to be read to and to read, from about the age of 7 onwards.

Contains four of Kipling's Just So stories: 'The Cat that Walked by Himself', 'The Elephant's Child', 'How the Camel got his Hump' and 'How the Rhinoceros got his Skin'. Each is accompanied by Kipling's original black and white illustrations with his self deprecting commentary, pictures which perfectly partner Kipling's lyrical mythic
Linda
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddos
My 2nd grader and I enjoyed this book a LOT. It's a really clever tale of how tame animals we love now became domesticated long ago. We decided that Kipling must've known a cat or two, as he has the feline personality pegged.
Kelly Triplett
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Strange. Ok illustrations. I won't make a point to read this book to any future students, but I certainly won't discourage them from reading it either. It could certainly be used to encourage creative, outside-the-box kind of thinking.
Clementine Blanche Tyler
well I'm not sure if I liked the story or not. Kippling is a great writer but story was told in a very sexist/speciest way. I'd never want a child read it and learn to perceive things this way. I understand though that the times this book was written were different.
Ollie
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Леончик змусив маму читати саме цю казку, хоча вона була у книжці для більш дорослих і без кольорових картинок, як у його книжках. Утім, мама отримала від казки не менше задоволення, у фантазії малюючи яскраві повноформатні картинки на кожен абзац книжки.
Russianwitch
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: russian
I didn't actually read this book. I listened to it on vinyl climbing up the chair to get to the player and putting it on even when I wasn't supposed to mess with it since the needle was delicate. I think that of all the children's story records we had this was my favorite.
Wendy
Jul 02, 2013 added it
Rudyard Kipling can write some very interesting stories! This may (facetiously, of course!) explain my cats! ;)
Jenny Burridge
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rudyard-kipling
Excellent.
Yukimaru Hatake
Entretenido. La verdad es que me gusto.
◈ ɣεɾɑ ◈
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20th-century
I first read this as a child, it's nice to revisit it!
Scott Cook
This book explains why most real men don't like cats.
Manolito
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Con un lenguaje simple y sencillo, el autor nos explica el origen de los animales domésticos. Queda claro que la mujer es más inteligente que el hombre.
Karla Reyes
Buena historia! me encantó... amo los gatos ñ.ñ
Stacy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cats make so much sense now.
Inés
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Adoro cómo narra Rudyard Kipling.

Esta historia corta funciona muy bien también como cuento infantil, estoy segura de que los pequeños de la casa la disfrutarían mucho.
Seawood
I've loved this story since I was a child and the older I get, the more I identify with the Cat.
Shandril
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A story of the beginning of humankind and why cats are still better than dogs. ;-)
Trevor Parker
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun short read of stories. I found them entertaining and refreshing.
Timothy Ball
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me.
Mariana
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Such a cute story but with a very dark twist.
Allan Alonso
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One day the cats would be Kings. (:
Cats 274
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books ever is Just so stories, and this beautiful booklet contains four most famous among them. Lovely, lovely reading for both kids and adults.
Manuel
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley Greenfield
Apr 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is not a book I would choose to read to kids.
Diana Juárez
  • My Life as a Chicken
  • Nicht nur zur Weihnachtszeit
  • For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone
  • Who Can Be Happy And Free In Russia
  • The Mystery at Skeleton Point (The Boxcar Children, #91)
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • Fraction Action
  • Max Spaniel: Funny Lunch
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • Klondike Tales
  • The Mousewife
  • Tony's Bread: An Italian Folktale
  • The Peppermint Pig
  • When Clay Sings
  • Sootface
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling