Start by marking “Senseless (Alexandria Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Senseless (Alexandria Novels, #1)

Senseless

(Alexandria Novels #1)

Every Serial Killer Knows. . .

The vicious burns scarring the victims' flesh reveal the agony of their last moments. Each woman was branded with a star, then stabbed through the heart. With every death, a vengeful killer finds a brief, blissful moment of calm. But soon it's time for the bloodshed to start again. . .

The Perfect Time. . .

Ten years ago, Eva Rayburn and her s
Published January 1st 2011 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Senseless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Senseless

Start your review of Senseless (Alexandria Novels, #1)
Linda Strong
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a re-read for me. If you're looking for a Romantic Suspense which is well-written, this is the author to follow. I actually bought this boo when it came out in 2011. I read it again about once a year.

Eva Rayburn has just been released from prison. She was sentenced to 10 years behind bars (when she was just 17) for the murder of a young man. This young man raped her and branded her, and because his father was rich and powerful, Eva was served justice that shouldn't have been. On top of
Colleen
I almost returned this book (and the next one, Merciless) to the library without even reading them - just so many books and only so much time.... so glad I found the time to read these! I will say the book would have been a 5 star if the romance would have been stronger and if the ending didn't seem so rushed. All of the books by Mary Burton do not seem to be strong in the romance department - so if you like a lot of romance in your romantic suspense novels - this one might not do it for you. I ...more
Dawn ♥ romance
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, romance
I enjoyed this complex romance with multiple threads covering lots of characters all building the intrigue. It had a good plot and plenty of action, however, the romance was weak. I liked the giving people a second chance theme and I never guessed the 'who done it.' Detective Deacon is investigating a murder case and clues lead him to Eva and the nightmare she endured ten years ago.
Jan 16, 2019 marked it as no-dull-mwh-dmh-tstl-unsafe  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-library
Read a couple chapters, but the H comes across as a manho and one of his exes is part of the plot. The h has been in prison for a while so she’s probably super inexperienced. I’m passing.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
This was published back in 2011, but I just read this series in 7/2017. I think this is one of those books that will age well.

The story and the characters were really well done and believable. I really like how Ms. Burton weaves current crimes to historical crimes as she has done in this book.

I'm going to cheat and say I really liked Linda Strong's review (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) and wished I had written it.

I have also read book #2, Merciless and a follow up book to the series
Mei
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Really good book! I love her writing style. This is a thriller more than a romance, but the story is very good. The hero and the heroine are very real and their feelings are described in a very realistic manner. Excellent!
Cat
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely an interesting crime thriller worth reading. I do think that there were some plot points that went unresolved and I did guess the twists, but apart from that it was a really enjoyable book. The way that the story developed and unravelled was careful and well done so I appreciated that, even if some characters made some very dumb decisions. Mostly, though, I found that I didn't want to put the book down.
Cheri
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading MB's books. This one had twists and turns, plots within plots, and left me befuddled until the end.
Gina
I feel bad because I judged the author before I read her. Burton, to me, is known as the mystery author whose mass market paperbacks you can buy at the grocery store, which is what I did on a weekend away. It ended up that I didn't have time to read the book and it sat on my shelf forever. I needed her book for a challenge, and I was completely shocked that it was so good. The characters were well developed and I had no idea who the "bad guy" was until the he was revealed by the author. The only ...more
Marilyn Rondeau
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One would think that a victim stabbed through the heart received a quick death, but the truth was, the agony the victims of this serial killer endured before the death stab was horrendous. Each woman suffered agony when they were branded several times with a four pointed burning star, only then did the killer put them out of their misery.

Ten years previously Eva Rayburn and her sorority sisters were celebrating the end of the school year. That party turned into a nightmare Eva had had to live th
Wendy Hines
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten years ago Eva Rayburn was brutally raped, burned with a star pendant and then blacked out. When she came to, she was being taken from the sorority house that was on fire, and her would be attacker, dead. Accused of killing Josiah Cross by her three friends, Eva is convicted and spends ten years of her life in prison. Now released, Eva carries the burden of ex-con on her shoulders. She is still tormented about the time she blacked out ten years ago. She feels in her bones she did not kill Jos ...more
Tara
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Mary Burton book and won't be my last. I really enjoyed this book, the characters and twists and connections kept me from putting it down. Maybe it was just me, but I never figured out who was doing all the killing until I was smacked in the face with it and the keeping me guessing made me enjoy this even more.

I pick Merciless up from the library tomorrow and can't wait to see what happens next with these characters. If you haven't read Mary Burton, I highly suggest you start!
Joan Schulhafer
Dec 23, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys romantic suspense, crime fiction, and serial killers.
The fourth of Mary Burton's books I've read, this is among her best. As always, the characters pulled me right alongside the subplot and the tense opening scenes. DISCLOSURE: I'm fortunate to work with Mary on some of her titles and so I'm possibly a bit biased. BUT I do know how much I enjoyed SENSELESS and the soon to be published MERCILESS and I hope other fans of romantic suspense and crime fiction will as well.

Jane Doe
This is the third book I've read by this author, I like her style of writing and the mystery was great. I know these books are labeled as Romantic Suspense, the romance is very light, in fact this one had the most romance in it of the other books I've read. The characters were interesting and likeable. I will be reading the next book in this series. Very enjoyable suspense with light romance.
Anne OK
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Review to follow. Good start to a new series for Burton.
Sandra Holladay
I’m reading a Kindle edition; the printed book may be different.

Too many cases of useless repetition. i.e. “The four girls sat in a circle around the stone fireplace. A hearty fire crackled and popped in the hearth, warming the room and chasing away the chill of the spring night. [paragraph] “Now as the flames flickered and cast shadows against the stone hearth, the girls sat in a circle, each a little tipsy from wine.”

In addition, there were several sentences I had to read several times trying
Jovdb
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this out of order which did spoil it, a little. However, it was still a good read.

Eva was convicted of killing Josiah Cross and served ten years in prison. Now released, she has returned to her home town. She is working at a pub, King’s, and living in a loft room over the premises. She hasn’t told her sister, Angie, that she is back in town.

Then, the bodies start turning up. The girl’s have been branded, just like the brand on Eva’s shoulder. She is linked to the victims.

Once again, editi
Susan
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't believe the romance; there was no chemistry. The characters, especially the detective, were more stock characters than anything developed. Characters are very important to me as a reader, and this just didn't cut it.
The mystery was okay, and I wondered what would happen next, which is why I kept reading. But there was some unfinished business, and the ending was very abrupt.
The writer's style included the occasional awkward construction, as well as a few incorrect words and grammar mist
JJ
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good racy book. Kept me up through the night. However, I didn’t see any compelling reason for the antagonist to kill. It would have been a very compelling book if the reasons for doing what is being done were deeper and explained. All through we seldom get to peek inside the mind (again, why does the antagonist kill?) of the killer. And, those four page sex scenes !! Derails the pace of the story for me. I think it’s an unnecessary to describe it in such detail. I find this in almost all of the ...more
Beth Lechman
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eva Rayburn was released from prison 6 months ago. She moved back to her home town of Alexandria and has been keeping a low profile. Now 2 women have turned up murdered with a 4 pointed star burned on their bodies just like Eva has. The murders seem to have something to do with her and looks more like she is killing again.
Dennis Dobeck
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Mary Burton's books. The books have a real life sense to them. I aiways see the book in my head as I read it, and the people are almost real. The books go at a good pase and keep me wanting to turn the next page to see what will happen next.
Jeff Laporta
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Usually I love Mary Burton's books, but I am not a fan of this "Texas Ranger" series. The main character (the Texas Ranger) is just not a character you can like or relate to. Not one of my favorites from Mary Burton, but I'll still read her other series.
Nancy Silk
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"An Awesome Nightmare Thriller"

This is another suspenseful novel about a scary serial killer. You'll not believe who the murderer is until the end. Another great, entertaining story by a great author.
Nicole Tul
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thiller

This was loaned to me and I fell in love with the fast pace writing style. This will take you on the path of do you really know those around you. Action packed , Great characters and well deloped plot.
Roxanne
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked the characters and twists

I always enjoy a book where I look forward to picking it up again, and on finding surprises inside. This one surprised me! On to the next in her series!
Alison  Boniface
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me guessing till the very end

I've read a lot of Mary's books and loved them all. This one will go down as one of my favourites though. It kept me guessing right to the end and I found it hard to put down. Another excellent offering.
Katherine
(above info incorrect - Kindle edition only one read)

3.5
Nessa
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, but then anything by this author usually is. Was gripped from start to finish. Loved it.
Lynn Levett
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page turner

I love this author. This story is so well written and had me hooked from the start. The characters are strong and I wasn't expecting the twist at the end.
Karen L.
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read....
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • Into the Dark (Romantic Suspense #23; Cincinnati #5)
  • Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott #2)
  • As Good as Dead (Cherokee Pointe Trilogy #3; Griffin Powell #4)
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • Witness Protection Widow (Winchester, Tennessee #5)
  • Her Broken Wings (Detectives Kane and Alton, #8)
  • Flowers on Her Grave
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Wind Chill (Stormwatch #3)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Silver Bells
  • Ten Days Gone (A.L. McKittridge #1)
  • Aberration
  • The Lies We Tell (The Undertaker's Daughter #2)
  • Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn, #8)
  • Don't Say a Word (Don't Cry, #2)

Mary Burton, whose latest novel is Hide and Seek, loves writing suspense, getting to know her characters, keeping up with law enforcement and forensic procedure, morning walks, baking, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels. Library Journal has compared her work to that of Lisa Jackson and Lisa Gardner

Alexandria Novels (3 books)
  • Merciless (Senseless, #2)
  • Before She Dies