Start by marking “The Advent (Vessel #1)” as Want to Read:
The Advent (Vessel #1)

The Advent

(Vessel #1)

They're divine. They're almighty. They're about eight thousand years late.

They're the Vessel, five living gods born to smite an ancient anomaly of death. That's what beloved pop legend Jesse Cannon is saying anyway--after claiming to be a Vessel himself. It's enough to make his long-suffering assistant Jordan hand in her two week's notice. She might not survive one week, h
Published October 20th 2010 by Year of the Tiger Press

To ask other readers questions about The Advent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Advent

Nik
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Nik by: Good Reads
Shelves: kindle-touch
**MILD SPOILERS*

The BEST part about reading this book was that I got to share updates with the author, which is a VERY COOL way to go about it. BTW, Tominda is pretty darn awesome and loves feedback! Anyway, lets get to the book. I really did love it. It was silly, snarky, freaky, creepy and ANXIETY provoking (at least the last half of the book, anyway!). It starts with just giving you some background on the boys (Corin, Ghi, Jesse, Jackson & Khan) & girl (Jordan) you will meet that turn
Genna
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I had the pleasure of winning an ARC of Tominda Adkins’ Vessel (Book I: The Advent) from Goodreads a few weeks back. While not normally something I would read or buy for myself, I was delightfully surprised with how much I enjoyed this tale of hollows, gods, and the forces of nature, life, and death!

I attribute my enjoyment to Adkins’ fast paced writing, sharp knack for humor, sarcasm, and wit, and her intriguing characters, namely Jesse Cannon, the Russian-born singer turned diva extrodinare.

I
Richard Holmes
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked up the Kindle edition for a grand total of free; I figured at that price why not? Glad I did. In some ways this book, especially the first half or so, reminded me of one of my favorite authors, Christopher Moore. A similar mix of the fantastic and the absurd, with a generous degree of humor. The latter part of the book gets less humorous and more horrifying, but it's all a good read. Or maybe 1/3 of a good read, because the story doesn't finish at the end of the book; I suppose this is ...more
Enjee
Jan 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I received a copy through the Goodreads early reads program. This book is different from the usual paranormal vamps, shifters, mages, demons stuff I typically spend my reading hours on, so I was happy to have something new to try for a change.
This is an original story, with plenty of snarky comments. Five men are the manisfestations of ancient seers, each one specializing in an element. Right here this is different...most any other book would have the present day vessel female. Not this writer.
Chris Cottrell
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Vessel, Book 1: The Advent. I wasn't sure what to think after the first 20 pages or so, but I am glad I kept reading. I enjoyed the author's smartassed style, and I am looking forward to future installments in the series.

I personally enjoy longer novels and getting to know the characters and their backstories, so hopefully that is coming in the future books as the only character you really get to know much at all is Jesse, and maybe Jordan. I think that Khan is the chara
Strain
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own, fantasy
I loved it! I love the characters, I love the voice, I love the action! I could just read about the main characters doing mundane things and be perfectly happy.
Mike Rasbury
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, collection
Vessel, Book One: The Advent by Tominda Adkins could have very well just been your standard urban fantasy fare. The characters are almost archetypal, there are vampire-like things, a collection of superpowers and a tough female protag. This book isn't exactly standard, though.

Tominda does a great job with the antagonists of the book, Hollows. They're first introduced as Pre-Egyptian almost vampires, but they're far, far worse. Tominda does amazingly throughout the book of selling just how horrif
Nathan
This book has been on my radar for quite a while, and I have no idea where I first saw it. I have no history of reading self published works, but the premise of this one intrigued me enough take the plunge. In this case the author has found a new fan.

Book one in a series(though fairly self-contained), this is a fairly unique take on vampires. Told in first person, the main character Jordan is a personal assistant to the worlds biggest pop-star, Jesse Cannon. Her life, and several others, is thro
Kacie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Okay, going to do my best to put my thoughts and feelings about this book into some kind of coherent stream, but I'm working on major sleep deprivation so no promises. First, the sleep deprivation can be solely blamed on this book. Even though I kept telling myself I needed to put it down and go to bed because I had to be up early, the book just refused to comply. So, a word of advice, if you hit around the halfway point of the book, and you're thinking of picking it up to read a few chapters be ...more
Jason "Book Sniper"
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jason "Book Sniper" by: Tominda Adkins
Review of VesselVessel (Book I the Advent) by Tominda Adkins by Tominda Adkins.

Review:
Okay, I understand that many readers are getting tired of the whole zombies/monsters genre. I also understand that it is a little played out and nothing seems original anymore. Trust me, I really do understand. I feel the same way.

Then out of nowhere… “Jesse” shows up, and a book so unique that demands readers around the world to take notice. That book is Vessel. A unique story of five "gods” who are out to save the world from "death" and destruction, o
Emily
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the first book in the Vessel Series by Tominda Adkins. I read this book because I received the second book in this series for free through the Goodreads First Reads program, and the author kindly sent me a free download of the first book also.

Let me start by saying that this book is funny. And it's packed with action from beginning to end. In many ways it reminds me of an action movie.The moments when something insane isn’t happening are rare, and when there is a break from the chaos, i
Lisa
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When five strangers share recurring dreams about both ancient Egypt and the Statue of Liberty, they all know something strange is going on. However none of them, least of all pop star Jesse Cannon, could have expected that behind the dreams lies the truth that they each represent the reincarnation of a god sent to defeat evil incarnate. A firefighter, a philanthropist, a convict, a diva celebrity, and an amnesiac who just might be a terrorist make an odd host for the spirits of earth, water, fir ...more
Beau
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Vessel, Tominda Adkins' debut novel, creates a world where the incredibly plausible (traffic, Oprah, bartenders, rock stars) happens alongside the fantastical (reincarnation of Gods, attacking evil critters, elementals) and completely pulls it off. For reference, this is the completely opposite of Terry Pratchett, who populates a fantastical world and then grounds it with a few details that are all too familiar.

Vessel is the tale of five men brought together by a power far beyond them, and the
Joshua
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a great read. Vessel is entirely engaging. It was a mix of Dracula and Harry Potter stylistically with a massive dash of wit. Perhaps that needs just a little explaining...

It begins by jumping between each of the main characters: Jordan, Ghi, Jackson, Khan, and Corin. Jesse is only seen through Jordan's eyes all along. Eventually everyone is seen through Jordans eyes, but it begins in much the same manner as Bram Stoker's Dracula albeit, no in diary form.

The world that Adkins creates i
Lori Wilkey
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway. That is really the only reason I read it. I have read quite a bit of the contemporary paranormal type writing and I still found her story to be fairly original. I have no complaints there, however, I do feel much more revision was needed.

Her point of view changed constantly during the story. I felt like a pin pong ball bouncing back and forth from character to character. The majority of the story was written in first person. If a story is told through th
Andrea Arana
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Vessel is a book that's soomewhat interesting. i mean, 5 guys are the shell for 5 different gods and have to travel around the world in order to stop Death itself from turning the world and life itself into the Apocolypse. it has a comical view, but told by jesse's assistant, jordan, who is a little whiny and doesn't apreciate all the sacrifices that those 5 guys are doing everything in there power to protect from these zombie like minions called the hallows. there's a lot of action in it, which ...more
Shiloh
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, first-reads
Five men begin dreaming about meeting each other, as well as events that occurred 7,000 years ago, giving them a job to do--save the world. Jordan, the personal assistant of one of the men (international pop star Jesse Cannon) is along for the ride, despite trying to quit her job several times. But an ancient evil is rising again, and only the five men, who find themselves able to channel the energies of fire, earth, water, air, and light, can stop it. Or at least slow it down.

This book is very
Julia Clemencia
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Vessel is a new twist on Egyptian Gods and modern society. it was somewhat very funny and captivating to read. everytime i turned a page, i'm always expecting something, but turns out the characters do the unexpected. this book puts mythology to a whole new level and told from the perspective of jordan, jesse's assistant and even though she's lost her arm, it turned out pretty good, since she's the narrating the story, telling the reader what she experienced and saw in her point of view and to t ...more
Jen
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2013
My tweet to Tominda Adkins: 'what you just did to my emotions should be illegal'. I fell completely in love with this book, enjoying and reading it every moment I could. She deals with something I have a problem with - almost instant camaraderie amongst almost completely strangers - by brilliantly throwing most of them on a 14 hour road trip.

My love for Ghi knows no bounds but I fell in love with everyone. There was actually nothing I didn't like about this novel. Everything that normally might
Andrea
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I am convinced that I both enjoyed and am ambivalent about this book. For a long chunk of it, I was reading out of a vague curiosity -- the narrator presents a lot of questions early on and strings the answers along into this web of strange creatures, oversized personalities, and fiery explosions. So it's not like there's nothing to keep your attention. But I failed to connect strongly enough to the characters to love the book, even though at a certain point toward the end I was reading with wid ...more
planetkimi
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vessel Book I: The Advent is an absolute riot. Beyond being energetically snarky and humorous, the story itself is fresh and original. There are no vampires, werewolves, or fairies in this urban fantasy. Not that there's anything wrong with vampires, werewolves, or fairies - but gosh, there sure are a lot of books about them and it's very refreshing to read about a new type of supernatural being.

The characters are quite memorable and I find myself thinking about the book in the days since I've
Jami Hadden
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The mark of a good book for me is an identifying character. Jordan is that character. However, she is surrounded by many others as colorful (and even more so) as she is. And while certain characters may brush "over the top," I don't find they cross that line.

I was immersed in this world while reading this story. The story is strikingly visual, especially the tricked out pink tour bus.

I am patiently (or not so patiently) awaiting to hear more from Jordan, Ghi, Jackson, Stella, and the others.
Amber
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a part of the First-Reads giveaway.

When reading the description of the book, I thought the premise sounded very interesting, so I was happy when I received the book as part of the First-Reads giveaway. Tominda Adkins does a really great job in telling an original story. The field of supernatural or paranormal stories have been so overwhelmed lately, I did not think that anyone could come up with something new, but she succeeded admirably.

I would highly recommend this book
Lyricalbard
Vessel, Book I: The Advent, by Tominda Adkins

Tominda Adkins's Vessel) Book I: The Advent, is a remarkable urban fantasy worthy of, being reminiscent of both high epic fantasy, and one can paint a striking image in one's mind, because of the vividness and richness of the tone of the characters, with a very unique perspective, voice, and made by made that favoraby with works by such authors, as, Neil Gaiman, Bruce Sanderford, with the wit and warmth of Catherine Asaro.

Highly recommended.
Jamie
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
oh my, I'm 60 pages into this and I love it! But I need to read my library books first...bummer

Vessel, a book about 5 guys from all corners of the world who end up being gods and meeting up in New York. The story was funny, exciting, dramatic, and a little depressing all in one. All I can say is I do hope there is a second book to this because I would be severely disappointed if this ended the way it did, with everyone pissed off.
Stacy
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-andi
I absolutely loved this book and can't wait for the next to come out. I can't say I was hooked by the first page, since it was a little slow to get into - but maybe that was just me. It didn't take long to hook me, however, and then I just couldn't put it down. I definitely recommend this one to anyone and everyone!
Samantha
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a quirky and enjoyable read...it's apparently the first in a five book series though, so I was a little disappointed in not "finishing". But the characters are well developed and interesting and I'm sure I'll read the next installment.
Ishanie
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I just won this book on First Reads! I have a feeling I'm going to love it! I will update my review upon receipt! Thank you!

**UPDATE**

Very good read. Quick and to the point. Look forward to other selections by this author!
Miki Habryn
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun read! Well paced, likeable if somewhat one-dimensional characters, and the narrator, charmingly enough, is not a super-powered munchkin. Looking forward to the sequel.
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mythology, wit, magick AND takes place in WV?!?! Tom you have all of my feels.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Tanaquill
  • Once Upon a Beanstalk
  • World War Moo (Apocalypse Cow, #2)
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • murder@maggody.com (Arly Hanks, #12)
  • The Chosen (Rise of Cithria, #1)
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • Terrafae
  • The Human (War of the Seasons, #1)
  • Keep a Little Secret (Tucker Family, #2)
  • My Name is Noir
  • Fifth Life of the Catwoman
  • A Prescription for Possession (Van Helsing Organization, #1)
  • Hard Luck (Saga of Menyoral, #1)
  • Big City Eyes
  • A Midsummer's Magic
  • Escape to Challenge (Moondark Saga, #1)
Tominda Ann Adkins was born and raised in West Virginia. All her teeth are intact and she has never attempted second base with a farm animal. She does play banjo. Poorly.

Vessel, a fantasy about five amateur gods and the disenchanted mortal woman who's stuck with them, is her first major work of fiction. Tom currently lives, writes, works, and loves in Seattle, WA. She especially adores peer litera

Vessel (2 books)