Start by marking “The Rainbabies” as Want to Read:
The Rainbabies

The Rainbabies

On a moonlit night. . . In the magic of a moonshower, a childless couple finds a dozen tiny babies in a meadow. Written in classic folktale tradition, illustrated with astonishing paintings, The Rainbabies is woven from magic and moonbeams.
Published March 16th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published September 23rd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbabies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainbabies

Start your review of The Rainbabies
Julie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A happy couple find themselves becoming old (though they look like all of the middle-aged parents at our daughters' elementary school), and their hearts hold one regret: they never had children.

One enchanted, moon-lit evening, they wake to find twelve perfect toe-sized babies among the raindrops of a mysterious moonshower, and they are verklempt, but terribly excited.

It turns out, these diminutive babies attract trouble, and caring for them and protecting them becomes the full-time occupation of
Amalie
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The Rainbabies" is a modern-day fairy tale about the depth of parental love. It is a story about how an elderly childless couple is gifted with twelve little babies after a 'moon shower', and how they take such wonderful care of them. They are tested by wind, rain, and fire to see if they truly love these babies. Later, Mother Moonshower comes to collect her children and rewards them for the dedication and love they showed to Her children

This story is tender and sweet, and the illustrations are
Cally Turner
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was very sweet and I loved it! The illustrations are all phenomenal and the little babies are so cute. This is a good longer storybook that I would read to my class. It is a very interesting and different plot but good for kids' imaginations. It has a very happy ending with the old couple getting a baby and her growing up. This story was sad at times but it kept me very engaged. I chose this book as my read aloud because I remember reading it when I was younger and loved it and thought ...more
Rainey
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The art is done in a style that I have always loved (the Hildebrandt brothers' work is this style), but the story is just kinda weird.
Sara
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: like-it
Dreams do come true, and love is always the answer. Gorgeous illustrations.
Carly
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Rainbabies is about an old man and woman who have always longed for a child but have never had one. One rainy moonlit night, the old couple goes outside because they've heard that the "moonshower" will bring good fortune when it touches you. While walking back inside, she notices something shiny in the grass and when she takes a closer look she realizes the shine is coming from a dozen drops of water each holding a tiny baby. The couple brings the tiny children inside where they care for the ...more
Linda Lipko
Immediately after reading this, I went back and read it again, savoring the wonderful images. LaMarche is one of my favorite illustrators. Every work he does is breathtaking, but in particular, The Rainbabies resonated with me.

This is indeed a fairy tale with a happy ending. Though there is joy, followed by impending doom and peril, all is right in the end. There is no evilness; there is only elation, love and sheer joy.

I tremendously admire the art of LaMarche. His images, particularly in this
Tatiana
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love returning to childhood favorites like The Rainbabies, for I have the opportunity to reflect on what made this particular title stand out from all the rest. I can't say for sure, but I imagine it had something to do with the bitty babies (I adored babies, even when I was one myself still) and the magical, satisfying tale of patience. What struck me on this visit was how picture books have changed in just over two decades. Kids today don't have attention spans capable of taking in the amoun ...more
Candace
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was given this book by my mom and dad when I was about 10 years old. I'm the middle child in my family and I guess I was at that stage when I didn't feel like I fit in anywhere and this book was something my mom gave me so I would understand that I was just as important (and loved) as my siblings.

I still have this book on a shelf in my apartment and like taking it out and reading it from time to time. It's a very sweet story.
Melody
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Re-read, going through my bookshelves deciding which books come to the new house, and which books stay behind. This book comes along. I read it and re-read it through the long years when I was trying and trying to get pregnant. I haven't looked at it since, I don't think, and my son is 21 now. Reading it from such a remove was interesting. I love the illustrations, I love the fairy-tale feel, and the ending still makes tears come to my eyes.
Literacy Group
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A childless couple who longs to have their own child, finds themselves to be the new parents of rainbabies that were brought by a sudden moonshower one night. After caring for the rainbabies through the powers of water, fire and earth, they are asked by Mother Moonshower to give the rainbabies back. In exchange, she grants them their very own child, who they name Rayna.

Grade 3-5
Amy
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story with beautiful illustrations. The kids and I really enjoyed reading this together, as recommended by Kelle Hampton via Instagram. I have to admit I teared up a bit. If only every baby were as wanted and loved. I think we'll buy this book for our family book collection.
Cara Byrne
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite. Nostalgia takes over my rating for this quirky, sci-fi read about an elderly couple and the babies they found.
Me
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different sort of fairy tale. The illustrations are beautiful and the plot emphasizes love.
Abby
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is about a couple who cannot have kids. One night after a full moon, 12 tiny babies are presented to them by the moon. The couple cares for the babies most tenderly. What happens when Mother Moonshower needs her babies back? The genre of this book is traditional literature. The themes of this book are family life, parents, and magic and the supernatural. This book is best suited for students in grades in pre-school through third grades. I gave this book four stars because it is a cute ...more
Andrew Everson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story book tells us about a couple that are starting to get older in age and find themselves wishing that they had children. One enchanted moonlight, they find twelve children and are so very excited. They found themselves raising these children and that it was like a full time job. Then one day mother moon shower came and took the little babies. The couple grieved and then were blessed with the gift of children after proving they were worthy. I would share this book to upper elementary gra ...more
Diana
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
The front illustration made this book look a little creepy, but the story turned out to be a sweet one. An interesting take on Thumbelina/Momotaro-type fairy tales, I appreciated very much both the responsibility shown by the adoptive parents and the eventual reward they receive. And as a side note, the cover illustration is taken straight from the book, and, in context, it's actually sweet and not creepy. Go figure!
Dawn Tessman
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
The story of an old man and old woman who desperately want a child and, through the magic of the moonshowers, come upon twelve tiny babies. A bit of a fairy tale with a moral about greed and a message about the importance of family. Both text and illustrations neither impressed nor disappointed - the book was just okay. On a side note, every time I look at the cover of the book, I can’t help thinking the woman could have been drawn with Meryl Streep in mind. :)
Viviane Elbee
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very long picture book, text wise, so I would recommend it for older kids who can sit through longer stories.

We loved the idea of tiny little rainbabies, and this story had a folk tale feel to it. This is also a good book to discuss family & adoption.

Kids enjoyed this book and voted to give it 5 stars.
Kylie Moffat
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book as a picture book for EL ED 340. I thought that the storyline was a little on the older side for a childrens picture book. I think that the book had a good message, the older couple wanted a baby and got to find the rain babies and take care of them.
Epickkasten
Not only the illustrations are lovely, the writing itself evokes wonderful magic.

"Though she could hear the steady tattoo of rainfall on the rooftop, her gaze met the white face of the full moon, peering round-mouthed through her window."
Sue Bartell
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully illustrated book and lovely fairy tale story. Really a children's book but I saw it recommended in a list of books everyone should read. Very glad I purchased this one. I will lend it to me Grandchildren to read to see if they like it as much as me. Very sweet story
Whit
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Illustrations are better than story but it remains on my shelf. BEAUTIFUL illustrations.
Bkrieth
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Unusual folk tale with beautiful and compelling illustrations. I'll include this in a traditional tales or fantasy week during #classroombookaday.
Tommy Schlosser
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-own-kids
Hope, doing the right thing, and having a positive attitude will always come to bless you in the end!
Kest Schwartzman
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
fine, but utterly forgettable
Patricia McLaughlin
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
LaMarche’s gorgeous artwork brings Melmed’s quaint story to life; the effect is peculiar yet enchanting.
Kat
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Lovely pictures and the story was beautiful.
Eileen
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a child. Beautiful illustrations!
Nathan
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice artwork, great story
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Thunder Cake
  • Little Bear (Little Bear, #1)
  • Eloise
  • The Serious Goose
  • The Kitchen Knight: A Tale of King Arthur
  • The Story of Babar (Babar, #1)
  • Miss Rumphius
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Little Fur Family
  • Heckedy Peg
  • In the Small, Small Pond
  • Puma Dreams
  • The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
  • Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Mercy Watson: Princess in Disguise