Start by marking “Pretty Bones” as Want to Read:
Pretty Bones

Pretty Bones

Raine has a family, good grades, best friends, and a boyfriend who loves her. But then anorexia takes over, and her life spirals out of control. Her efforts to hide her condition are finished when she collapses at a school dance. Although she's whisked away to treatment, Raine isn't ready to accept who she really is and get the help she desperately needs. For Raine, coming ...more
Published September 2nd 2011 by James Lorimer and Company (first published August 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Bones

Monisha
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty Bones is a really quick read. The story moves very fast, but at the same time, not much happens throughout the whole book. There's a lot of jumping over periods of time, not addressing things that would be nice to see addressed, and way too many metaphors and similes. But the narrative was okay, the dialogue was okay, the story was okay.

I feel like there's something missing from the story. There's an emotional depth that's just not there. The story makes you feel like you're coasting alon
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I think that eating disorders and distorted body image is a very important thing to talk about, and I think that Ava handled it well in Pretty Bones. We saw the start, especially where Raine, the main character thought that she was in control of it and could stop when she wanted. Next we have the concerned friends, then the crash that after she keeps on with the disorder, and then the final wake up call where she wants to get help.
What my problem was is I didn't see a new or unique twist, I f
Sinai Marron
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The name of the book is pretty bones by Aya Tsintziras, this book is about a girl named Raine , she has everything going on for her , great friends , good grades, a caring and loving boyfriend who would do anything for her , but there's one thing she doesn't like about herself, her body... she wants to be "pretty" and for her being pretty means being thin , suddenly she's trapped in a world of coffee cups , scales , disapproving mirrors , and concerned looks.
I think this is a pretty interesting
Ebanny Hernandez
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book if you struggle with personal health. It’s full of so much reality that people go through every day. I promise you that you will want to keep reading this book when you start reading it and continue wanting to. This book leaves you wondering what will happen next so I do recommend this great book.
Michelle
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a short read. I wish the author went more into detail about certain things. It's like she skips important parts that should have been written. It was a bit interesting, but I didn't like it that much. I did like how it is a Canadian book, though.
Lindsey
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
4 and a half.

Usually I stray away from books with this subject matter. Without being too vague, it's just something that I don't fancy reading about because it's pretty uncomfortable stuff. I had to give this book a chance though, especially after reading this blog post about how the idea of this story came to be.

Pretty Bones is a frightening look into the mind of a teenage victim of anorexia. Although people may be quick to judge or express their complete confusion as to what could lead someone
Jessica
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
For me, Pretty Bones was a bit tough to get through. On the one hand you have a character who gives the reader a glimpse into the mind of a normal girl who is battling anorexia. Raine is a person who has a fairly great life. She has a family who cares, she does well in school, and she has a support group of friends. In fact, Raine has it more together than most of the other characters I've read about lately. However, despite everything, Raine still feels out of control. So she turns to the one t ...more
Melissa
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books
My take: Really, the synopsis was probably one of the shortest I’ve ever seen, however it grabbed me in the 2.5 seconds it took me to read it and I just knew I needed to read this book.

All in all, there are a lot of aspects in this book that make you think of the typical teen world. Raine’s just this lost girl looking for her way, and in that, she ends up becoming anorexic. The worst thing possible for her happened when her father passed away, which led to her being more lost because her mother
Mallory
Raine is 113 pounds. Her father passed away two years ago when she was 15, and she still has not figured out how to deal with the pain. Her mother has ignored her ever since, turning into the very definition of a “workaholic”. She has the best boyfriend and the two best friends in the whole world, but their lives seem so normal that there is no way they could ever understand what Raine deals with everyday.

This short story is perfect for reluctant girl readers in grades 8-12 who enjoy realistic
Sandy
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Raine is anorexic, but she won't admit it. Her father died 2 years ago, and her mother is more absent than home, so she strives to control her life by dieting. As she grows thinner, it's never enough, and she alienates her friends, boyfriend and family. When a new boy enters her life, things feel easier with him, so she grabs a chance to find some freedom and more control of her life.
Most of the secondary characters are caricatures at best, and only there to help drive the tiny plot. Fairly acc
Manoja K.
Good premise. Needed more fleshing out and development. I needed to be in Riane's head and wasn't. Didn't get her and didn't understand her. The narration of the book is kind on confusing and inconsistent. Overall it was a good idea and I liked the topic and the relationships, but it just needed to be worked on a little more.
erica
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first half of the book read like an after-school special, but the second half was slightly more interesting. There are so many good books about anorexia out there; read one of those (like Wintergirls) and skip this one.
Sue Wargo
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Interesting portrayal of a teen with anorexia. I think the plot was a little predictable and I would have liked a little more of the parent's story or even why a teacher or counselor never intervened. It would have rounded out the story. But I am sure my teen readers will like the short easy story and the tragedy.
Alicia
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a truly depressing book throughout. All I'm going to say is that the ending nearly brought me to tears. Maybe that's just me but the message was so strong and it gives you a look at what can happen if you worry too much and take even one day for granted. This book was a super quick read but I definitely loved its perspective.
Gillian
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
YA -- Lorimer

Set in Toronto, this is an interesting look at anorexia and other teen issues. The female protagonist is stubborn and her inner monologue rings true.

RL is 4.5 but this doesn't read so. I think many girls can relate to this short novel.
Marie-lyne
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Received this book at the OLA SuperConference. I was skeptical at first but I liked it. Having done research on anorexia, I would say it's a good account on how they think.
Aurora
Cara
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2013
Redcheeks64 ALFORD
The book had me in tears.Raine's issues was something most teenagers deal with today.The story explored the problems,the way to help yourself when your in denial and hurting yourself from the inner hurt.This is a great book!
Naomi Carlin
Mar 23, 2017
Denniz
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
I write YA novels. My first, PRETTY BONES, will be published by James Lorimer on September 2nd, 2011. I love coffee and pop culture.