Start by marking “Copenhagen Noir” as Want to Read:
Copenhagen Noir

Copenhagen Noir

2.67  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The latest entry in the publisher's series (41 and counting) proves the resilience of, and market for, these locale noirs. Editor Michaelis, a Danish book critic, is both scholarly and insightful in the introduction and outlines how the stories reflect the greed and ennui of modern Denmark in contrast to the Danish idyll depicted in tourist brochures . . . Although some st ...more
Published December 7th 2010 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Copenhagen Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copenhagen Noir

Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Another collection of weird, strange stories that make Copenhagen sound like NYC. A few good stories here and some others that are ok. The best part of the book was the introduction which is a great description of what noir is all about.
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danish
Published review on Three Percent website, here:

I'm reviewing this collection this month and am hopping around among the various sections/stories (there are actually a lot of big name authors included), so I'm just going to list some brief impressions of the stories as I read them so as to not totally muddle them in my head.

Part I: (Men and) Women

*Women in Copenhagen: Decent. Fairly good atmosphere, and an interesting enough back story, but little comes o
May 12, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
From Booklist

Akashic’s Noir series, which began in 2004, turns to Denmark. Edited by Danish book critic and editor Michaëlis, this volume features stories by authors whose names may be unfamiliar to American readers but whose themes are universal. The stories are organized into three broad categories: (Men and) Women, Mammon, and Corpses, all essential motifs in the noir world. Fans used to the watered-down noir now prevalent in America will notice immediately the much harder edge of these sto

Bill Brydon
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scandinavian
"I open the door with these luminous black eyes I always get when someone crosses me, and there it is: laughter, loneliness, and sex and sex and sex, fucked all night and sucked all night and taste that pussy till it taste just right, look at me, I’m finished, I’m totalled, Look at me! I’m in tatters, and well suited for the absolute armpit of the city, the final cockroach left alive in the debris, and I notice that I sway while I search the place for you, and fumble in my pocket for my scrap of ...more
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir fans, readers interested in Scandinavia
Recommended to Lisa by: Copy from publisher, thank you!
2.5 stars. The stories in Copenhagen Noir meld together into a portrait of an uneasy city populated by sex traffickers, willing and hesitant murderers, and kind people. Though it suffers if compared with the excellent Moscow Noir collection, the Copenhagen book contains some decent stories.

(There's more on my blog here.)
I love Nordic crime stories so I found this collection to be a huge let down. All of the stories apart from the Friis and Kaaberbol one I found to be dull instead of dark. Also, they don't feel uniquely Danish, they could take place in any large city. There are some very talented Danish authors out there, but the editor neglected to add their stuff to this collection. It still amazes me to this day that Helle Helle is popular in Denmark.
Gary Allen
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read noir/mystery novels that took place in all Scandinavia so I was looking forward to this. About half way through I got tired of reading about hookers, pimps, drug dealers, Russian mafia, etc. These stories could be anywhere in the world. Oh and I forgot to mention - the stories are not very well written. Don't waste your time with this book - there is so much better waiting to be read.
Aug 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked out this book as I normally like short stories, and I am interested in Copenhagen settings. However, this was far too dark a shade of noir for me, and also I found nearly all of the stories to be pointless. The only possible exception was the story by Kaaberbol and Friis.
Leah Coffin
Kind of a mixed bag, but some of the stories were excellent.
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, lowlifes
A collection of short stories set in Copenhagen. I read only a couple. Moral of stories: Even Denmark has lowlife scum.
Jul 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bleah. A couple of the stories were okay, not great, but some were truly, genuinely terrible. The kind of bad that makes you wonder, "How did this writing-group-101 exercise get published?"
John Marr
Utterly mediocre anthology that only revels that Danes have a penchant for being guilty about patronizing Arican prostitutes
Woody Chandler
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another tour de monde with at least one unforgettable story. Keep massaging those feet!
Sep 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A little too dark for me. I only read one story but it didn't leave me with a good feeling.
Sep 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never finished it. Noir brings me down I guess.
Jayme Foley
Good stories. Some better than others. Worth a read if you've been to Copenhagen.
JohnM44 Miller
Kristian Lundberg's story the best of the lot. Too bad none of his novels have been translated into English.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rick Muir
May 20, 2011
Jun 08, 2017
Feb 19, 2011
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2013

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fire from Heaven (Alexander the Great, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99