Start by marking “The Norton Reader: An Anthology of Nonfiction” as Want to Read:
The Norton Reader: An Anthology of Nonfiction

The Norton Reader: An Anthology of Nonfiction

Shelfwear w/crease down middle of cover. Creased and curled corners. Scuffed edges.Some folded corners on content pages. No markings noticed. Red number on bottom of page ends. Shoe print inside front cover.
Published June 14th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1995)

James
I first got this book when a professor in a writing class assigned it as a text, and have been going back to it for various reasons since then. It's a great sit-and-browse book, it has excellent examples of a bunch of kinds of writing, and it is thought-provoking in many ways. My favorite entry is George Orwell's classic essay, "Politics and the English Language."
Pearse Anderson
The Norton was a brick, mostly. Sometimes I'd find a piece of chocolate between bits of mortar and it was good, but it was still a brick. 7/10.
Corey
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yes I read the whole god damn thing. 60% good things.
Ananyaa Nair
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to use the Norton Reader for my AP English Language & Composition course. This course has turned into one of my favorites of all time and it is undeniable that one of the core reasons for that is the Norton Reader. The diverse, timely, and thought provoking essays in this collection have been so insightful. It not only gives access to various writing styles but also helps readers develop opinions and knowledge on worldly issues from yesterday, today, and of tomorrow. Even if it's not ...more
futsal
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 12th edition anthology has 1277 pages. I'm on page 869, so bear in mind I'm about 68% finished. I've taken this book with me on numerous vacations. The good thing about it is you can read an essay, which could be on any of the various topics covered by the various authors, and then put it down for a while, and then pick right back up on the next random essay without fear of forgetting where you left off because each essay is its own independent entity and not reliant on others around it (in ...more
Lynn Johnson
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love reading a short story in Norton or two when I sit down to read. Each chapter is a short story and not connected to the other chapters. Norton always picks great short reading stories that make you think. Some of the issues that the stories make you think about were in vogue 5-10 years ago, but may appear somewhat 'dated' now. However, society does not change that fast and the issues are for the most part still real and can be vexing.
The questions at the end of each story help you focus on
Breanna
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I was assigned the Norton Reader for both of my English courses this year. I found a handful of the publishings to be quite boring. However, the vast majority of my writing involved veterinary medicine and were very limited articles which I could reference in my writing. If I could have used the Norton Reader in my writing, I believe I would have actually enjoyed it.
Scott
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with excellent examples of the creative nonfiction form and its many variations. Somebody important said that if you want to write something aptly, you should read at least 100 examples of it. By time I've finished this, I'll be ready to write an essay.
Michelle
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read most of the essays and stories for school. While several in the spiritual section didn't appeal to me, I found this to me ovar all an excellent compilation of great works. My favorite essay was Get a Knike, Get a Dog, but Don't Get a Gun and Thinking as a Hobby as second runner up
Jess
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
Excellent anthology of essays- something I pick up from time to time to revisit old favorites
泊洋
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
the best English study book,you d better recite some paragraph
Mary Ann

• Dungeons & Dreamers: A Story of how Computer Games Created a Global Community
  • You're Stepping on My Cloak and Dagger
  • Courage in Patience
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill
  • Once a Marine: An Iraq War Tank Commander's Inspirational Memoir of Combat, Courage, and Recovery